Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Laurentiu amt

I've never seen him in a 433, though.

He's phonomenal in a 4231 in a double pivot, and I feel he and Matic (holding) would be a great pivot.

In terms of our build up play, he would help quicken it up a lot.
Yap, that goes through my mind as well. I've seen him play once in a 4-3-3, quite recently, in the last two months. But he played a more advanced role, towards the right. Wasn't that good tbh.

In a 4231 with Matic he'll be good, but that complicates our front line a lot.

It will be smth like this . GK - LB-CB-CB-RB - Matic- SMS- Pogba-Sanchez-Lingard- Lukaku. It also works with Martial - Pogba - Sanchez, but that hinders Pogba a bit as he likes to play a bit more to the left.

Nick.

I think another alternative since both Paul Pogba and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic work well in a 352 would be something like:

Lukaku - Sanchez
Alex Sandro - Pogba - Matic - Sergej - RB
Rojo - CB - Bailly
De Gea
New CB could be Umtiti or Alderweireld since we have been linked to both. Strong links to Tierney and Alex Sandro at LB. Idk who could be our wing-back on the right, we were linked with Joao Cancelo last week who is good going forward but questionable defensively. Also Lindelof played well in a back 3 earlier in the season, and you still have good options like Smalling and Jones.

Also if we sell Martial which looks likely then you still have Rashford to be given game time as there are two strikers in this formation instead of one. It would be harder to get both Martial and Rashford game time like this but with just one it is more possible.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think another alternative since both Paul Pogba and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic work well in a 352 would be something like:

Lukaku - Sanchez
Rojo - CB - Bailly
De Gea
New CB could be Umtiti or Alderweireld since we have been linked to both. Strong links to Tierney and Alex Sandro at LB. Idk who could be our wing-back on the right, we were linked with Joao Cancelo last week who is good going forward but questionable defensively. Also Lindelof played well in a back 3 earlier in the season, and you still have good options like Smalling and Jones.

Also if we sell Martial which looks likely then you still have Rashford to be given game time as there are two strikers in this formation instead of one. It would be harder to get both Martial and Rashford game time like this but with just one it is more possible.
That does look very tasty, I'd definitely switch Lindelof in over Rojo though

onemanarmy

Lukaku - Sanchez
Rojo - CB - Bailly
De Gea

Get Meunier on RB. Same position he excels for Belgium.

Alex Sandro
Meunier
Alderweireld
SMS

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.

Lukaku - Sanchez
Rojo - CB - Bailly
De Gea

This makes a lot of sense, I'd like to see us adopt it.

It's very compatible with our squad, too, except with players like Mata and Lingard (although Lingard would probably do fine as the second striker).

Nick.

This makes a lot of sense, I'd like to see us adopt it.

It's very compatible with our squad, too, except with players like Mata and Lingard (although Lingard would probably do fine as the second striker).
Yeah it does work with our squad, and you can always just cut one of the central midfielders for a AM to fit Lingard in when appropriate.

I forgot to mention but also obviously having the third center back helps cover the defensive deficiencies of SMS and Pogba a little more; I think having 3/5 at the back lets them both play with slightly more freedom and you have top quality strikers anyway.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah it does work with our squad, and you can always just cut one of the central midfielders for a AM to fit Lingard in when appropriate.

I forgot to mention but also obviously having the third center back helps cover the defensive deficiencies of SMS and Pogba a little more; I think having 3/5 at the back lets them both play with slightly more freedom and you have top quality strikers anyway.
You can also take a CB out for another attacker and move to a 4-3-3 if you wanted to. The FBs bought will be absolutely key for this to work though.

Swift Football

In an ideal world, I would rather sign somebody of Modric mould with the money reported for SMS. If we are indeed intersted to sign him, maybe, just maybe we are open to selling POgba.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
352 has made sense for a while for us, but I'd only see it working in the big games really.

It becomes too narrow against sides that sit deep and that's a big reason I feel Chelsea's system worked better when playing 343 instead.

As for the bringing in 2 midfielders I think SMS and Fred would only make sense if Fellaini is going to leave. Perfect replacements for both him and Carrick.

#CR7

I just don’t get the hype around this guy. Admittedly I’ve not seen a lot of him, but from what I have seen he doesn’t look like he will fix our current issues in midfield. I don’t see him breaking lines from a deeper phase of play which is our main problem. We need someone with more dynamism or creativity that can carry the ball/ speed up play.

P-Nut

I just don’t get the hype around this guy. Admittedly I’ve not seen a lot of him, but from what I have seen he doesn’t look like he will fix our current issues in midfield. I don’t see him breaking lines from a deeper phase of play which is our main problem. We need someone with more dynamism or creativity that can carry the ball/ speed up play.
Wait a minute the things you've mentioned are exactly what he is good at.

#CR7

Wait a minute the things you've mentioned are exactly what he is good at.
He seems to operate further forward and occupy positions similar to pogba. Ive watched some clips but I can’t see him being effective picking up possession from deep and bringing the whole team forward. It’s one thing playing in between the lines receiving the ball and another thing breaking through the lines or building play. I just don’t see the latter as his natural game.

Sanche7

The guy is very talented and the hype is real. He is probably the best CM in the under 23 age group in the world
Agree with everything else in your post. Him Pogba and Matic would be a super slow midfield.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The guy is very talented and the hype is real. He is probably the best CM in the under 23 age group in the world
Agree with everything else in your post. Him Pogba and Matic would be a super slow midfield.
Didnt Barca have Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets in CM which is considered one of the best club teams in history?

Sanche7

Didnt Barca have Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets in CM which is considered one of the best club teams in history?
Techno midgets with low center of gravity with great dribbling and ball control playing in a system where they keep the ball forever vs Giants who are not mobile enough and no where near as good on the ball playing in a system where they mostly sit back, try to steal the ball and counter

Sanche7

What is his passing like? that's the real question.
His passing is one of his weaknesses from what I've read. His through balls are very good though.
His pass accuracy this season is 79%which maybe due to him trying risky passes.
But his numbers have been improving over the last 2-3 seasons from 71% to 74.3% to 79% this year.

From what I've seen and read, he's best near the box in the final third.
He's defensively good but he has a tendency to mistime his takes and has 12 yellow cards this season.
He has the physicality and aerial dominance of Fellaini plus the technique close to that of Pogba minus the flair.

Last edited:

ZombieFootball

We just sign players because of their hype it seems, it will not be fun watching smaller technical teams pass around us while our giants chase shadows.

Fer

Tall, pace, right footer, dribbler, good in the air, good passer, scorer, plays in high tempo, physically strong, attacking minded midfielder.

Considering we need to start playing attacking football in order to catch City next season, Sergej Milinkovic could be the best replacement of Carrick. With Matic, Herrera and McTominey available for the No.6 role, United should not go for another defensive midfielder IMO.
Midfield of three would feature Pogba on the left side, Sergej Milinkovic Savic on the right side and Matic as a holding midfielder:

Pogba --- Savic
Matic​
Being a Serbian international means Matic can help him to settle in the Manchester United shirt quickly.

With proper fullbacks + a new RW we could get the best out of the team.

His passing is one of his weaknesses from what I've read. His through balls are very good though.
But his numbers have been improving over the last 2-3 seasons from 71% to 74.3% to 79% this year.

From what I've seen and read, he's best near the box in the final third.
He's defensively good but he has a tendency to mistime his takes and has 12 yellow cards this season.
He has the physicality and aerial dominance of Fellaini plus the technique close to that of Pogba minus the flair.
Thanks very interesting, can't say I'm 100% sold on him yet though.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
But his numbers have been improving over the last 2-3 seasons from 71% to 74.3% to 79% this year..
I don't think that you can read too much into 'passing accuracy' stats.
A player could get a 98% completion, which sounds fantastic, but the reality is he is only knocking 10 yard passes sideways & backwards, so 98% doesn't really get you anywhere.

Sanche7

I don't think that you can read too much into 'passing accuracy' stats.
A player could get a 98% completion, which sounds fantastic, but the reality is he is only knocking 10 yard passes sideways & backwards, so 98% doesn't really get you anywhere.
I agree, but if we are buying him to play along with Matic in 4-2-3-1,he needs to be a better passer than that.
80% pass accuracy means 2/10 times he misplaces his passes which is not good.

Looks like another Pogba to me. I'd rather see us spend 100 mill on fullbacks.
No he is no where near as good as Pogba was when we signed him.
Pogba had played in CL Finals, Euro final,had 3 Italian league titles, had 40+ caps for the French NT, was on the FIFA Team of the Year and so much more at the age of 23.
SMS maybe similar to Pogba in few aspects but he is no where near as good as Pogba was when he signed for us or at least he has not achieved anything close to what Pogba had

Bulldogg

Tall, pace, right footer, dribbler, good in the air, good passer, scorer, plays in high tempo, physically strong, attacking minded midfielder.

Considering we need to start playing attacking football in order to catch City next season, Sergej Milinkovic could be the best replacement of Carrick. With Matic, Herrera and McTominey available for the No.6 role, United should not go for another defensive midfielder IMO.
Midfield of three would feature Pogba on the left side, Sergej Milinkovic Savic on the right side and Matic as a holding midfielder:

Pogba --- Savic
Matic
Being a Serbian international means Matic can help him to settle in the Manchester United shirt quickly.

With proper fullbacks + a new RW we could get the best out of the team.
That would work in a 532, if you play a 433 SMS and Pogba would leave Matic with far too much to do defensively... just not the right balance playing a 433 with Pogba and SMS. I hope we sign him cause i think SMS would work really well with Pogba if we play 532 or a diamond 4 man midfield similar to what Real has done.

------Sanchez----Lukaku

----Pogba---------Savic?
-------------Matic
Sandro?-----------------Meunier?
----Bailly--Smalling--Jones
-------------De Gea

442 (diamond)
--------Sanchez-----Lukaku
----------------Savic?
----------Pogba-----Fred?
----------------Matic
Sandro?--Bailly---Smalling--Meunier?
---------------De Gea

TrebleFan99

This signing would be good news either way.

Ideally SMS and Pogba play together.

If Pogba is leaving then I’d prefer to see SMS partner Matic as opposed to Fellaini or McTominay at the moment.

Pscholes18

Refuse to get excited until I see him actually playing in Mourinhos system... probably buying him to replace Young at FB.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Pogba Matic and SMS might be the slowest midfield 3 in United's history. I really wish we would focus on someone nimbler/quicker and more adept at getting away from Man City or Liverpool's tight press.

Jib

13 goals and 6 assists for Savic this season. At the same age, Pogba made 15 assists and 10 goals ( 2015-2016 ).

But Mourinho should give him the freedom that he refuses to give to Pogba...hmmm ok !

P-Nut

Pogba Matic and SMS might be the slowest midfield 3 in United's history. I really wish we would focus on someone nimbler/quicker and more adept at getting away from Man City or Liverpool's tight press.
Pogba is great against the press so it seems we've got yet another not actually watching us play.

Also SMS is strong as an ox and his dribbling is one of his stronger points.

Nick.

Why are you people crying about pace in our central midfielders, pretty sure they don't need to be terribly fast. If you want us to speed up our play that involves moving the ball quickerby passing, one touch play etc, not being able to run fast.