Sergej Milinkovic Savic

beingshe7don

I hope we're not in for him, it would be ed making the same mistakes yet again. We keep signing the previous managers transfer targets every time we change manager. That makes no sense when the managers don't want to play the same way.
I really hope as well. He's not the kind of player we need to midfield... We need pace and urgency and SMS does not provide those.

DoomSlayer

This smells of Lazio using our situation to get a higher fee for Savic in a potential transfer. Don't think we would be interested, or at least hope we aren't that incompetent. :nervous:

beingshe7don

Possible options if Pogba leaves... Lo Celso, Saul, Kai Havertz, Barella, Lorenzo Pellegrini, Nicolo Zaniolo, Aouar. Definitely not looking forward to getting SMS.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I hope all these media reports are rubbish, do not want this guy anywhere near our club, especially for the ridiculous figures being quoted. Would rather have Fred and McTominay in CM, at least they appear to work hard and put the effort in, give me a team full of players like that, then at least you know the players have given their all. Do not want any 'star players' coming to United (as Ed seems to want), if they are not prepared to graft as well.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It`s Lazio trying to hype him up. Also, I wouldn't call SMS a star player.
Yep, point taken, didn't word that right, definitely looks like I was indicating that SMS was a star player, I wasn't, I was just trying to point out that Ed seems to like to bring in players who basically sell shirts, like Galacticos. I don't want players here who don't really want to come (De Ligt for one), due to no champions league, I would rather have players like James, who are willing to work hard, to try to establish themselves in the first team, and could, in the long term, save us money. I know that not all these type of signings come of, and not all the academy lads will develop into good, or very good players, but some will, and that has always excited me, right back to George Best coming through in the early 60's (God I pray for another player like him coming through). I think you are right about the Lazio hype, a lot of that goes on nowadays, I reckon about one in twenty players that we are linked with are actual targets of ours, Fernandes, Maquire and Longstaff probably the only ones at the moment, although I personally like Maddison, and would like to see a short term striker signed (Arnoutevic I liked, but he's gone now) to give Greenwood time to develop properly, and not rushed through too quick.

Champagne Football

Possible options if Pogba leaves... Lo Celso, Saul, Kai Havertz, Barella, Lorenzo Pellegrini, Nicolo Zaniolo, Aouar. Definitely not looking forward to getting SMS.
I don't think any of those are realistic for one reason or another apart from Lo Celso and Saul. I don't think the board will pay even half what Atletico would want for Saul. Lo Celso has a few clubs interested so not straight forward either.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He'd be a hugely underwhelming replacement for Pogba. Maybe if we signed another good player on top it would be easier to accept but I don't think we will.

Pogba out and SMS in would mean another season out of the CL.

crossy1686

career ending
The only reason this transfer makes sense is that we know his family and know what he's like as a person. We would have seen him play quite a bit with his brother playing for us for a while, and probably would still be here if it wasn't for work permit issues. We must have seen something in him if he's out first choice to replace Pogba.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Didn’t the majority of transfer muppets on here want this lad last summer when we were also heavily linked?

Has he really had that much of a bad season to put people off him?

Champagne Football

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Didn’t the majority of transfer muppets on here want this lad last summer when we were also heavily linked?

Some may have, but having watched him in the world cup, I thought Matic was far better. He just seems like a big strong guy, with a little bit of ability, but vastly overhyped.

dev1l

Mood swings in teenagers are quite common :)

Suvvernmanc

I'm wondering this as well.
Lazio had a bad season in general, SMS did too. Hes still quality in my opinion and when you list his qualities - strong, ball retention, passing, midfiled goal threat. Sounds just like Pogba does it not?

I personally could see this working

ArjenIsM3

Lazio had a bad season in general, SMS did too. Hes still quality in my opinion and when you list his qualities - strong, ball retention, passing, midfiled goal threat. Sounds just like Pogba does it not?

I personally could see this working
Agreed but not for 110m pounds. The 75m euros being quoted is still a lot of money on the back of a poor season but that at least is something we could work with.

dev1l

I think he ll ends up somewhere else - PSG and we are being used to hike up the price.
But not being an ITK, I could be wrong

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Has anyone actually seen him play? I've never heard anyone actually admit to it on here. Let's agree to just stop posting in this thread can we and let the rumour die a death?

Alabaster Codify7

Nah, this ship has sailed - SMS doesnt seem that good if I'm honest, certainly not worthy of being a replacement for our best midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was bang average for Lazio last year, no wonder they're happy to sell him for "just" 100m :lol:

I don't believe this for a second anyway, just recycling rumours since the last Pogba episode.

R'hllor

Guys chill with calling him shit, he might really sign for us then some of you will have to change your tune because of it, God knows this place is full with bunch of thick hypocrites.

Champagne Football

He looked like he was tired last season after the World Cup. Matic also. Lukaku and Pogba too. Then you had Lazio's best attacker Felipe Anderson leaving, a player who had also gone off the boil towards the end of his Lazio career, before being invigorated at West Ham. It could be that SMS performs much better around better players.

Ekeke

I think hes a decent player but nowhere near as good as Pogba. The fees he's always been suggested to be worth are ridiculous

He looked like he was tired last season after the World Cup. Matic also. Lukaku and Pogba too. Then you had Lazio's best attacker Felipe Anderson leaving, a player who had also gone off the boil towards the end of his Lazio career, before being invigorated at West Ham. It could be that SMS performs much better around better players.
Do we have better players ?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which better players...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I doubt we're in for him (as a major option), but he's still a good player. Last season is a weird one because he totally sulked and downed tools (as did the whole Lazio team, it would seem). I still think he'll end up at Juventus in a few years once they've cleared a few of the hundred midfielders they seem to have on their books.

tonnas

Last year everyone was drooling for him, now after an average year (mind you he wanted to leave and had to stay) now he is crap.

izec

I would still take him for a decent fee. He is a good player and will end up at a bigger club in the coming years

United Pro

Last year everyone was drooling for him, now after an average year (mind you he wanted to leave and had to stay) now he is crap.
Tbf many didn't want him last season either. It was quite evident that he is a significant step down to Pogba.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was bang average for Lazio last year, no wonder they're happy to sell him for "just" 100m :lol:

I don't believe this for a second anyway, just recycling rumours since the last Pogba episode.
He was played in a different role than the season before and his form picked up towards the end of the season, Lazio in general were a bit of a mess. Still, don't think I'd be interested at the quoted prices.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would still take him for a decent fee. He is a good player and will end up at a bigger club in the coming years
I agree. If Steve Bruce is worth 70m then so does SMS

Irrational.

He'll probably join Napoli for £35 million on deadline day, and flop massively before he is loaned out to AC Milan with an option to buy for £20 million after two years.