Sergio Aguero and the Wigan pitch invader | Aguero and Pep face no action.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
As per F.A. rules, if a player brings the game into disrepute, he will be banned. Yes the fan should not be there, but just him being there does not give Aguero the right to put his hands on him. It should be a clear case of rules being applied and he should be banned for a minimum of 3 games.
Even if you say it was self defence, he sqaures up to him, almost chases him and clearly indicates " Intention towards Violence".
Its like some one punching another after a hard challenge by another player, the later player might get a yellow card but the reacting player gets a red card for violent conduct. It doesnt matter how hard the punch hits or even if it misses, intention to cause violence should be enough to get him a ban.

It's nothing like that. Tackling is part of the game, so any player punching another player for mistiming tackling should be banned.

What do you expect Aguero to do? Run away from the scene?

Smores

There's a lot of defending Aguero, but do we actually know that he was "attacked by a fan"? I'd like to see some evidence of that too - he was acting like on steroids during the game too.
Well nothing in any of the videos seem to suggest he was, i don't understand why everyone's jumped to that conclusion.

There's hundreds of fans touching and hugging players every pitch invasion, the players don't all react by bitch slapping him now do they. Never mind then acting the hard man and trying to go back for more.

I'm not a fan of pitch invasion but he could have just friendly pushed the fan away and continued to head for the tunnel.

SteveTheRed

He probably should be banned, but a much harsher punishment should be put on the fan.

If he had just pushed the guy away as he got in his face then he wouldn't have done anything wrong, the fan would have still been dealt with but it's the fact he chased after him. He has to be above that, unfortunately.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
It's nothing like that. Tackling is part of the game, so any player punching another player for mistiming tackling should be banned.

What do you expect Aguero to do? Run away from the scene?
Put his head down and get on with his job. He doesnt need to react, he does. It aint different from fouling and player reacting. what fan does and what aguero does will be seen in isolation, even if he did spit on aguero's face aguero cant punch him. If aguero walks back to dressing room, fan gets life ban, the fan might still get it, but aguero will have to take a ban because he reacted and that was violence and brings game into disrepute.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Had a right to push him, but didn't have a right to go after him, no matter how understandable maybe it is.

Tough to judge, all together. If it's fine it shouldn't be harsh.

Red_toad

Fan shouldn’t be on the pitch in the first place and rightly deserved a slap after gloating seconds after Aguero lost a cup game. Fine the fan, ban the fan, tell Aguero no action will be taken.
So when players celebrate goals should they also be banned or slapped?

Getting off the pitch when there's a pitch invasion should be any players first responsibility, could incite lord knows what squaring up to opposing fans. A professional takes himself away from that situation. The FA will look at that as unprofessional and he should be charged. Players cannot react like the average knuckle dragger in the street would, they have to show restraint.

Trizy

Be nice to see a double ban for Aguero and Pep. Both would miss the league cup final, right?

kentafuji

Both are obviously at fault, and both should be punished.

The fan for being a bellend and goading Aguero, and Aguero for not having enough sense to have some composure in the situation and not hit a fan live in television

Red_toad

Wrong. You are basically giving incentive to attack opposition players to fans if Aguero ends up banned here.
If fans know they'll get banned for life, well there's no incentive. Aguero wasn't attacked, let's not blow it out of proportion, guy wasn't swinging punches at him, hand on shoulder and laughing/ making comments, he should just walk away.
FA should be far harsher on especially smaller clubs who's fans invade the pitch, it's an illegal action, but it's allowed to happen and there never seems to be any action taken...

lammybam

Had a right to push him, but didn't have a right to go after him, no matter how understandable maybe it is.

Tough to judge, all together. If it's fine it shouldn't be harsh.
This. Push someone away who is in your face, ok (he didn't exactly land an uppercut on the guy). Proceed to chase fan and have to be restrained by others. Not ok.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Put his head down and get on with his job. He doesnt need to react, he does. It aint different from fouling and player reacting. what fan does and what aguero does will be seen in isolation, even if he did spit on aguero's face aguero cant punch him. If aguero walks back to dressing room, fan gets life ban, the fan might still get it, but aguero will have to take a ban because he reacted and that was violence and brings game into disrepute.
Didn't that fan put his hand on Aguero? It surely looked like he did.

Not sure we'll ever agree on that. They are not robots.

He was playing the 'Hard man Aguero' roll by strolling off the pitch, head upright, in the first place. If he can't keep his cool when goaded by the fans rushing onto the pitch then he should make it a priority to get off the pitch as soon as possible and with minimum fuss.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He was playing the 'Hard man Aguero' roll by strolling off the pitch, head upright, in the first place. If he can't keep his cool when goaded by the fans rushing onto the pitch then he should make it a priority to get off the pitch as soon as possible and with minimum fuss.
Well, going by the video he was making selfies with some other rushing guys before that, so he actually looked quite OK in defeat up until that moment.

AngliaRed

So when players celebrate goals should they also be banned or slapped?

Getting off the pitch when there's a pitch invasion should be any players first responsibility, could incite lord knows what squaring up to opposing fans. A professional takes himself away from that situation. The FA will look at that as unprofessional and he should be charged. Players cannot react like the average knuckle dragger in the street would, they have to show restraint.
I agree what you’re saying to an extent but if a player scored then went into the middle of an away end and celebrate he’s bound to get a slap. I dont like pitch invasions and from what I can he was provoking Sergio. Yes he is a role model and should keep hinself out of situations but IMO he went onto Agueros pitch illegally and provoked him when tempers are high anyway with them losing. The fan cant not expect a slap really, we dont know the full story and what was/was not said.

Fener1907

As an Argentine, it must be pretty difficult having a load of English people celebrating as they swarm around you.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
All laughing and joking aside, the fan shouldn't be in a players face in the first place.

Aguero reacted badly (not the initial push) but chasing after him and having to be restrained. He may have to answer for that, not the initial pushing the fan off.
Yeah I'd agree with that. Still not a big deal in my opinion either way. You see players rare up at each other like that several times a game and they don't even get booked.

Still, it being a fan a one game ban is probably par for the course.

Or, even better, a 20 point deduction and 3 year transfer ban for City.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I dislike the little scrote, but I don't think he should be banned. Fans shouldn't have been on the pitch and when someone antagonises you like that, it's human to sometime overreact especially when you're going to be pissed already for losing an FA Cup game when your chasing a quadruple.

The FA will show him mercy.

RedDevil@84

The Dailymail are running with Aguero was punched and spat
And Cook took his touchline fight with Pep into the tunnel and caused a spat

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Handbags..!!
Aguero has not thrown punches, and given the circumstances, flinging his arm the way he did, doesn't amount to violent conduct.
The fact that he has gone back for more though, might count against him, because that is a really stupid unjustified action. So if, he faces any punishment, it would surely only be for that.

Oldyella

I dislike the little scrote, but I don't think he should be banned. Fans shouldn't have been on the pitch and when someone antagonises you like that, it's human to sometime overreact especially when you're going to be pissed already for losing an FA Cup game when your chasing a quadruple.

The FA will show him mercy.
I think he will be charged, but no ban and "reminded of his responsibilities". Fair enough imo.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
He can't and shouldn't be banned. But his previous behavior might bring a ban considering he has always been a bit of a thug. You can't forget precedence in such cases.

The fan shouldn't be allowed to watch a football game in his life again and the stewards should take bit of a responsibility to what happened yesterday.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Any videos of what happened with Ped?

Denis' cuff

As an Argentine, it must be pretty difficult having a load of English people celebrating as they swarm around you.

Wtf? Nothing unique about being Argentine playing England. Bigger rivals ie Scotland, Germany to name at least two. He’s a professional.

Don’t get this “he was provoked “ stuff. Probably 9/10 red cards are a player responding to provocation or at least payback. Eric was provoked all game by rickshaw but it was he who got sent off. Then provoked again as he headed for the dressing room. He copped the consequences - twice over. Maybe not the best example but same accusations. The perpetrator nearly always gets off lightly and the retaliator cops it. Bet that won’t happen this time. The spitting stuff; is this on record or is it something somebody is trying to make stick?

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
I apologize if you take what I said as OTT.

That whole point of that thread is on SAF's authority, boss figure among the players. Noone turn a blind eye to our player of old days are nasty. If you think that whole narrative is to deflect attention from the player from the brawl then answer the question I posed in my previous post. Where was Pep not trying to get his players safely in dressing room seeing Wigan fans coming on the pitch?

Remember early in this season, City fan invaded the pitch vs Bournemouth in an away game. City fans here were saying the stewards should allow the fans some freedom to celebrate. They had what they asked for. Moot point trying to condemn Wigan fan as a whole now.

Bringing in SAF story into this is quite a stretch. The atmosphere, level of hostility was entirely different. What SAF did to protect his player is deserved to be acknowledged. Thing would turn much uglier into a proper disaster if not for SAF's bravery to settle the situation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...broke-loose-on-manchester-united-8329630.html
I see the difference between the managerial behaviours and it's not the point I was trying to make. It's how it the whole story gets spun, and what becomes the topic of discussion. If cityplayers got into a brawl because Aguero "decided to give it back" and Pep joined in, the thread would not be a contribute to Peps "authority, boss figure among the players". Likewise the tune would be different if one of our players had acted like Aguero, no one would be calling out for a ban. But I'll agree it was a bad example, as most posts in here condone Aguero rather than condemn.

It's just the hypocrisie on this forum on a whole can be very frustrating. It was one thread not to long ago where someone made a ridiculous statement, and another poster replied it was something you'd expect from RAWK. Suddenly everybody was laughing at how ridiculous RAWK was on the basis of that comment. But I suppose it's what you should expect on a football fan forum, it's hardly gonna be neutral.

Fener1907

Wtf? Nothing unique about being Argentine playing England. Bigger rivals ie Scotland, Germany to name at least two. He’s a professional.
What does the fact that he's not unique as an Argentine playing in England do to detract from the idea that there is animosity in Argentina towards England. England having perceived "bigger rivals" also doesn't change their way of thinking.

The initial statement can easily be wrong, just not for those reasons.

Tarrou

I don't think he should be charged, but it's the FA what they'll do is anyone's guess

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I can't understand the reaction here that Aguero shouldn't be banned. He raised his hands then chased after a fan and had to be physically restrained.

Wow if Rooney had done that while at United they would be talking about it on Loose Women about now. It would be headlined in the six o'clock news, no doubt the police would be looking into it and it would be raised in Parliamentary discussion.

He should absolutely be banned above the normal level. You can't behave like he did. And you can't have one rule for one and one for another on the basis of who is more famous or the profile of the club you play for.

Member 90887

Com'on people. if he did that outside of the stadium, he would be charged. the fan didn't touch Aguero at all. it was an agression from the player. why should it be any different here?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I can't understand the reaction here that Aguero shouldn't be banned. He raised his hands then chased after a fan and had to be physically restrained.

Wow if Rooney had done that while at United they would be talking about it on Loose Women about now. It would be headlined in the six o'clock news, no doubt the police would be looking into it and it would be raised in Parliamentary discussion.

He should absolutely be banned above the normal level. You can't behave like he did. And you can't have one rule for one and one for another on the basis of who is more famous or the profile of the club you play for.
Obviously, City fans here are very defensive about their lads.

Normal, immensely objective people like you or me know what's the deal.

Trizy

What has your, the fans or Aguero's nationality got to do with the indecent?