Sergio Ramos leaves Real Madrid

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He leaves the club after 16 years and will be holding a press conference today to say goodbye.

Absolute legend, thank you for all the memories.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
His impact on Madrid will be overlooked by some due to Ronaldo’s reign there.

A hate-able figure, but my word what a clutch player from defence.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Greatest defender in Madrids history? Or is that Hierro?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes. Sergio Ramos, Roberto Carlos and Hierro would be in the first three positions imo.
Wow, I never realised just how long Roberto Carlos was at Madrid for.

Out of interest, how far down the list would you place Marcelo? Eerily similar stats (apps, G/As, trophy hauls etc.).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A huge character. Big games, big moments. Probably the most ballsy CB of the past 15 years.

If he’s managed correctly, he could still be an option for the top level. His body looks like it’s finally slowing down with age with the injuries this season, but like Cavani he could still bring a side some consistent game time.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
one of the most cnutish legends that has ever played this game
I despise and admire him

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s too old. Even 6 years ago when he supposedly handed in a transfer request saying he wanted to join us I wasn’t overly keen.

Cloud7

Best CB of the last decade, and arguably the best of this generation, when you consider all that he brought to the team in terms of important goals, leadership, etc. What he brought to their team was far and beyond just being a defender.

padzilla

Hipster
I think it would be a bad move for us, football is seldom kind to ageing centre backs who are not Italian and playing in Italy. Us signing Laurent Blanc in his mid 30s springs to mind. Great player in his day but sadly that was long before he signed for us.

Best defender of his generation, which says as much about the lack of quality of defenders in his generation than him as a player.

Call me bitter but ill remember him first and foremost as a cheat.

padzilla

Hipster
Best defender of his generation, which says as much about the lack of quality of defenders in his generation than him as a player.

No question about that at all. He bent the rules repeatedly to get ahead - which is fair enough I guess, at least he was honest about which is more than can be said of many of his peers.
It's a common trait in soccer that cheating to get ahead is seen as being smart and canny whereas in other sports you would have been expelled quickly.

TheReligion

Abusive

What are you defining as his generation? Seems a bold statement

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What are you defining as his generation? Seems a bold statement
If you consider players after Rio, Vidic and Terry a 'new' generation, I can think of no one better than him. Chiellini and Godin up there, but Ramos with his cluth moments edges it for me.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why only defenders from the last 20 years? Madrid have had success back in the day too.
Real Madrid had essentially four great eras: the di Stéfano era (late 50s and early 60s), the Butragueño era / La Quinta del Buitre (mid to late 80s), the early Raúl era (late 90s and early 00s) and then Perez's second stint (mid 2010s). In all of them their defenders were never that important, Ramos was definitely the most critical and his partnership with Varane was definitely the best.

In the di Stéfano era for example you have Santamaría as the standout, but that was mostly for being such a consistent feature in winnings teams. It wasn't a great era for defenders really, and it wasn't a feature of Madrid in particular. If you look at their defensive record in their first European Cup win for example, they won 4-3 on aggregate against Partizan in the QF, 5-4 on aggregate against Milan in the SF, then 4-3 in the final against Reims. That was before they brought in Santamaría, and he did tighten them up somewhat, but the feature of that Madrid team was unbelievable attacking power.

In the 80s, Sanchís was the leader and very influential, but in their 5 league titles in a row, they only had the best defence once. It had more to do with Butragueño, Hugo Sánchez and Michel again. It is kind of curious how they never really had a defensive era, or at least not a successful one...club's do have some kind of character that persists.

You'd probably have those three plus Santamaría and Sanchis in the top 5, none of them were as important as Ramos.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Wow, I never realised just how long Roberto Carlos was at Madrid for.

Out of interest, how far down the list would you place Marcelo? Eerily similar stats (apps, G/As, trophy hauls etc.).
Actually I think Marcelo belongs to that tier or at least he is close.

Others like Camacho, Pepe, Santamaria or Sanchis would be in the top 10 imo.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sign him up Ole. Better defender than Bailly and Tuanzebe could learn a lot from him. Even if he is on his last legs his leadership and experience would be great for the dressing room.

redrobed

Did he have a nose job? I remember him having a great big conker when he was at Sevilla.
RedCafe asking the important questions.

He’s been an absolute legend for us and probably 2nd only to Ronaldo in terms of importance to us in recent years.

Don’t think he’d be a good fit for Utd though - we need someone with a higher current ability for 1st team and we don’t really have any youngsters with enough potential for it to be worthwhile bringing him in as an influence.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
5 La Liga
4 Champions League
(and a world cup and a Euros)

Great experience - I for one would love to see him come to the premier league (Everton with Rafa?) for a season be a total shithouse and kick salah out of the mersyside derby for a couple of years.

Robertd0803

RedCafe asking the important questions.

He’s been an absolute legend for us and probably 2nd only to Ronaldo in terms of importance to us in recent years.

Don’t think he’d be a good fit for Utd though - we need someone with a higher current ability for 1st team and we don’t really have any youngsters with enough potential for it to be worthwhile bringing him in as an influence.

Our whole team could do with Ramos's winning mentality not just the youngsters.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
5 La Liga
4 Champions League
(and a world cup and a Euros)

Great experience - I for one would love to see him come to the premier league (Everton with Rafa?) for a season be a total shithouse and kick salah out of the mersyside derby for a couple of years.
At Everton? Not United?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
At Everton? Not United?
Yeah... Id rather we buy somebody young who has the potential to be the bedrock of our defence for years to come... plus I think Ramos / Maguire would be in trouble against pace and a lot of teams play on the counter against us

Great player and 4 or 5 years ago or whenever his agent used us to get a pay rise out of madrid he would have been ideal - Im just not sure hes what we need right now