Sergio Reguilón | 2023/24 Performances

jem

I absolutely love this guy - didn't really rate as a player during his time with us but his passion was never an issue. As well, he's constantly spreading the United love on social media. We seem to have done well with acquiring sound Spanish dudes on our team (however underwhelming their performances may have been.)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We could do with him now. Malacia hasn’t been seen for a year or so and would allow Shaw to move inside one.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Always put in the effort. Can’t fault the lad. Spanish players always seem to be dead sound. Well ours have been anyway

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We could do with him now. Malacia hasn’t been seen for a year or so and would allow Shaw to move inside one.
Ye that would have been ideal. Think we’ll go Dalot left with AWB right and Shaw LCB. Dalot seems to have got into good form on the right though so would be ashame to break it up.

izec

I think he was decent. Offensively was quite good, defensively of course with weaknesses. I liked him

Bwuk

I don’t really understand why we ended the loan tbh.

We’ve only got 3 full backs - surely we need 4?

Malacia can’t be relied upon, he’s not kicked a ball in ages for us.

Unam333

Perhaps due to FFP restrictions?

We couldn't even strike a loan deal for a striker during the January transfer window.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Not sure we ended it did we? He's now more or less Brentford's first choice LB so I'm guessing it was a better deal for both him and Spurs for the 2nd half of the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Thought it was Spurs who called time on it. He is their player.

dutchred

Plus we have Amass coming through. Barring injuries he will be in the first team squad next season

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would've kept him for the season,tbh.
I actually liked what I saw from him in a offensive sense.

Bwuk

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To be fair, anyone with half brain knew we needed him. Only idiots and Ten Hag defenders argued for letting him go back to his club.

If he was Dutch and more shite we would probably keep him.

Gandalf

At the time I assumed we did it to make room for a different loan. Not really sure what the reasoning was now that that obviously didn't materialize.
The most reliable sources, people like Ornstein and Whitwell, leaned hard into the story that we ended the loan for FFP reasons with an eye to making space in the squad and budget to bring in a striker on loan. The failure of a striker to materialize seems to have been blamed on the fact that we needed to do a bit more in terms of shifting salary and raising money, despite sending players on loan and cancelling the Reguilon deal we were so close to being hit with a charge alongside Everton and Forest that we could not squeeze any incoming deals in before the deadline. I don't know the real state of the clubs finances but reading between the lines that suggests that we might not have been able to afford to keep him even if we wanted to considering we could not afford anyone in his place.

BorisManUtd

Sorry for bumping this thread but why didn't we extend his loan for another 6 months? They surely knew Malacia would be out for long. Guess they hoped Shaw wouldn't get injured again and him + Dalot and AWB are enough for LB/RB positions.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Sorry for bumping this thread but why didn't we extend his loan for another 6 months? They surely knew Malacia would be out for long. Guess they hoped Shaw wouldn't get injured again and him + Dalot and AWB are enough for LB/RB positions.
The club took a gamble on fitness and lost

Stadjer

I can only imagine that Malacia was expected to return. Otherwise it doesnt make any sense at all.

Gandalf

Partially because Shaw was back and the medical department told ETH Malacia would be available by the beginning of February and so with that in mind paying for a 3rd choice LB on loan made little sense. It was also reported fairly widely that we needed to terminate a loan in order to bring in another loan signing and we were supposed to be getting a striker to rotate with Rasmus thanks to the absence of Martial but that ended up going nowhere due to our PSR situation being rather more dire than initially reported.

Blood Mage

Baffling that we cancelled the loan. Shows just how clueless the people running the club were.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Even a 6/10 LB would have helped out immensely. Looks like he's been performing at a pretty high level on his new loan.

MrBest

Baffling that we cancelled the loan. Shows just how clueless the people running the club were.
I think its hard to review, hindsight is too obvious. In Jan, Malacia was expected to be back but little did we know that it was mental health issues. Did the club know more (or the severity) before the decision was made? If they did, badly managed by the club, and this is highly possible.