Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

Came off his line more times in 1 game than De Gea has all season. His kicking is also very good. It's nice knowing any ball played in behind the defence danger zone is going to be sweeped up by Romero.

kundalini

Romero looks a better match for United's current defence than De Gea is. We try to keep a fairly high line yet have two CBs who are relatively slow, in Maguire's case, painfully slow. Having a sweeper keeper benefits us significantly.

Paul_Scholes18

It's a popular opinion with me, I agree 100%.
I think lots of people want to see him given a chance. I worry about De Gea against Liverpool.
It feels like everyone is making haulers and gifting them goals this season so we will probably do the same if he plays.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
7 clean sheets in 9 starts. Guaranteed De Gea wouldn't have kept a clean sheet tonight because those times where Romero was outside the 18 playing "sweeper keeper" De Gea would have been glued to his 6 yard box...

Devil may care

Gotta be the best #2 in world football, who would have thought he'd become LvG's best signing for us outside of Martial.

Gotta be the best #2 in world football, who would have thought he'd become LvG's best signing for us outside of Martial.
Was saying to my other half that he’s the best no. 2 in the world. And she told me that I’ve said that many times - and also it is probably the worst position to be the best at. He plays 10 time’s a year, and is not quite as good as your usual keeper - hardly much to celebrate...

But hey, he’s a great back up.

Sylar

Unlucky he didn't get a run of games with all those DDG mistakes earlier.

Defence looks calmer with him in goal.

Djemba-Djemba

The stats might not back this up but it feels like Romero is much more willing to come off his line and clear the ball, like the City and Liverpool keepers do.

There was 4 or 5 occasions tonight where he ran out to boot the ball away and prevent Wolves from being through one on one, some of his clearances were a bit dodgy but he got the job done every time.

Feels like De Gea is much more rooted to his line at all times.

It's never going to happen but i'd honestly be playing Romero ahead of De Gea.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wonder what his overall record looks like for us with goals conceded and clean sheets. Must be ridiculous.

Edit:
54 appearances, 24 goals conceded, 34 clean sheets. Nice.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Dead serious when I say this guy deserves some permanent recognition at the club when he goes or retires. The definition of a model servant of the club and true professional. Just about any club would bite our hand off to have someone of his quality but yet he remains dedicated to the club without complaints. When we discuss the best signings we ve made over the decades it's become hard to argue against Romero being one of them.

Dead serious when I say this guy deserves some permanent recognition at the club when he goes or retires. The definition of a model servant of the club and true professional. Just about any club would bite our hand off to have someone of his quality but yet he remains dedicated to the club without complaints. When we discuss the best signings we ve made over the decades it's become hard to argue against Romero being one of them.
permanent recognition! Shall we get him a statue and put him next to Best, Law and Charlton?

he’s an excellent pro - but also seems very happy being a no 2. If he wanted to be a first team keeper, I’ve no doubt the club would have let him leave.

flappyjay

David is obviously the better shot stopper but I think Romero's all round game is better than David's

sugar_kane

David is obviously the better shot stopper but I think Romero's all round game is better than David's
agreed, and would add to that that part of the reason De Gea has so many saves to make is because he commands his box nowhere near as well.

genuinely wouldn’t be that bothered to see him leave and replaced by Romero or Henderson.

EdinburghDevil

I would have no issue with him being number 1 and Henderson being number 2 next season.

Like a lot of people posting, I would give him a run in the team now.

Mike Smalling

His clean sheet record should obviously be taken with a grain of salt, as he has most often faced weaker sides in the domestic cups and the Europa League. Still a fantastic player to have, though.

As others have said, I would feel comfortable giving him the chance if Real Madrid or others come knocking for De Gea. He deserves it.

Parma Dewol

So many supporters in our stand yesterday were commenting on his ability to come off the line and take control of the situation. Wolves played a few balls over the top that our defenders may have struggled with, but no bother, Sergio was always quick off the mark. It's definitely something we miss with De Gea in goal.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His clean sheet record should obviously be taken with a grain of salt, as he has most often faced weaker sides in the domestic cups and the Europa League. Still a fantastic player to have, though.

As others have said, I would feel comfortable giving him the chance if Real Madrid or others come knocking for De Gea. He deserves it.
Of course it should, but we tend to struggle against lesser teams and he plays in teams with much rotation which can disrupt your defensive solidity. I think he offers a lot of confidence to whoever is front of him and it doesn't take much for a team to score a goal, but you always seem confident he will get a clean sheet.

Marcelinho87

agreed, and would add to that that part of the reason De Gea has so many saves to make is because he commands his box nowhere near as well.

genuinely wouldn’t be that bothered to see him leave and replaced by Romero or Henderson.
Said this a while back.. We have constantly slated our defence when in actual fact I believe a lot of the woes are down to DDG not commanding the box. Yes he is a fantastic shot stopper and yes he has been our saviour over the years BUT do you think our defence would have been so fragile under Schmikes or VDS? I really think the keeper comanding his box seems to be undervalued these days.

Red00012

The clean sheets while impressive has mainly been against lower league opposition. He didn’t really have a lot to do last night , Jimenez should have taken that chance in the 1st half rather than giving him a pass back.
DDG should take note of how many times Romero acted as sweeper and not standing on his goal line though.
Best No 2 around and would be number 1 goal keeper I think for every other team in the PL bar City and the scousers.

Ban

So many supporters in our stand yesterday were commenting on his ability to come off the line and take control of the situation. Wolves played a few balls over the top that our defenders may have struggled with, but no bother, Sergio was always quick off the mark. It's definitely something we miss with De Gea in goal.
This. DDG is constantly glued to the line, weather it's a corner or a ball over the top of defense. As you said there were few instances where he collected the ball and dealt with a possible dangerous situation thus helping defense a lot. He reads the game well.

Alabaster Codify7

Such a good keeper. Nice, professional guy too - easily the best backup GK we've ever had. I want him to get a run in the first team.

Djemba-Djemba

The clean sheets while impressive has mainly been against lower league opposition. He didn’t really have a lot to do last night , Jimenez should have taken that chance in the 1st half rather than giving him a pass back.
DDG should take note of how many times Romero acted as sweeper and not standing on his goal line though.
Best No 2 around and would be number 1 goal keeper I think for every other team in the PL bar City and the scousers.
I think a lot of that though was down to Romero being a sweeper keeper and making sure Wolves couldn't get through on goal.

Last night with De Gea in net I think Wolves get clean through on goal 2 or 3 times.

It's like how Rio rarely had to make last second tackles because his reading of the game was so good he'd already handled any danger earlier on.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If this was FM, I would be cashing in on de Gea and using the money to bolster the rest of the squad. I think that window has passed now though.

de Gea has been a great servant in a really difficult period, that is no slight on him, but Romero has done more than enough to be earning opportunities in the first team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can only perform vs what you’re up against

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Agree to an extent but if you're going to factor that in then you have to consider that he is then also never really playing with our first choice defence either.

Last night was one of a few times he played with our first choice back 4 and we were superb defensively, and that was against Wolves's strongest forward line.
It's a no brainer for me, he has to be given a chance.

Also, if you seriously think the likes of Real Madrid are still interested in De Gea then you're bordering on delusional, especially considering the wages we're now paying him, I seriously doubt many other clubs are stupid enough to even pay half of what we're paying him.

Status
Not open for further replies.