Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - harms vs Oaencha

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheReligion

Abusive
How so? Nesta hasn't got a good record against Ronaldo.
In my opinion he's one of the only defenders in the draft to have the tools to keep up with Ronaldo. In addition despite his weaker partner he has the quality and versatility of Tacchinardi ahead of him. He can drop in and make the side even more difficult to break down.

It's fine margins but I just see his defensive set up edging it as a unit.

Enigma_87

You know who
In my opinion he's one of the only defenders in the draft to have the tools to keep up with Ronaldo. In addition despite his weaker partner he has the quality and versatility of Tacchinardi ahead of him. He can drop in and make the side even more difficult to break down.

It's fine margins but I just see his defensive set up edging it as a unit.
There are IMO ones to limit his game. Not of course take him out on their own but Baresi, Maldini, Bergomi, Vierchowod IMO are good fit.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good match up.

On @harms I like that 3-4-3 formation and the personnel. I'm not sure about the quality of your midfield pair tho. Seedorf and Jonk IMO won't be able to control the game, considering this is pre-prime Seedorf and more of a box to boxy type of midfielder rather than the late midfield general and also playmaker.

A lot of the team mechanics hinges on Ronaldo to carry the attack - Djorkaeff is also a nice fit there so it should work well and Montero/Ferrara/Grun to provide stability at the back.

Oaencha has an upper hand on the flanks, especially with young Zanetti there who was a beast going forward and Carboni will have a tough time handling him on his own.

On the flip side Ronaldo is known to create chaos for the opposition defenders and Lazio's Nesta had issues with him in the past and Fenomeno usually gave him a torrid time.

Baldini is also a bit of a weak spot, considering Ronaldo occupying Nesta most of the time, so Massaro will have some joy.

Will have to think this one over methinks, it's a good game between two very different "philosophies" and formations.
I think you've overlooked Tacchinardi in the set up. He can drop in at CB if Baldini is struggling. Quality player.

Also I think Grun is a weak link.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think you've overlooked Tacchinardi in the set up. He can drop in at CB if Baldini is struggling. Quality player.
Think he'll be occupied with Djorkaeff most of the time being the DM in the formation, whilst Boghossian and Nakata will be battling out in the middle.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Both very good teams, at the moment leaning towards Oaencha because of Zanetti, he will have a good game here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Have to say, I've no idea what's going on with that Nakata-Jonk minimatch and it looks pretty relevant to me.

antohan

ah, yeah. Indeed it's pretty relevant in the middle of the park.

Same with Seedorf role here, which is pretty important for harms in this 3-4-3.
Boghossian is a better match than he will get credit for.

The worrying bit is Djorkaeff will drop deep and get picked up by Tacchinardi, but then will free up the space Ronaldo should definitely attack (Baldini) and Nesta has to mind Massaro and a potential Seedorf run.

I don't see much Nesta vs. Ronaldo goung on really.

Mind you, at the other end Zanetti is owning the flank, Zola is utterly free and Zamorano is doing his very best to keep Montero and Ferrara busy so as to isolate Pippo on Grun (with Nakata occasionally losing Jonk, just like Seedorf with Massaro vs. Nesta, not Grün).

This is actually a high-scoring game and I'm leaning towards Zola carving up that defence (or that side of the defence) as much as Ronaldo bamboozles Baldini.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Ah the diamonds of Oaencha are shining tonight! Not because they are going through, mind, obviously not. In retrospect, telling two of your already-slightly-fannyish midfielders in Nakata and Zola you have 'no defensive duties' and 'a free role' respectively might have been a bit of a managerial error, and especially after watching them admiring each other's hairstyles through much of the match. You have to admire the style, though. Not only did the lads line up in the apparently-highly-favoured-amongst-draft-managers-despite-being-shite formation also known as the CENSORED diamond, there were diamonds in Nakata's ears, in Pagliuca's eyes, and very probably in Zamorano's bellend. Diamonds, of course, are famous for being a girl's best friend, and apparently this meant that Oaencha's side had to play like girls n'all. A bit sad, from a footballing point of view.

They started well enough, though, and would have taken an early lead had any of their three goals in the first half been allowed. Unfortunately, on all three occasions Inzaghi the flea was given offside. Whether he was or wasn't was really beside the point as far as the linesman was concerned, he just found Inzaghi incredibly annoying giving him problems all the time so decided to keep his flag up for the entire half. Probably the right call to be fair.

Harms' Selfies finally began to get a grip of the game half way through the first half and the Diamonds rarely saw the ball much after that. Maybe they'll pick a functioning midfield next time - who knows? Who cares, for that matter? We're all empty vessels floating on a sea of nothingness and this is a theoretical match between a bunch of old footballers on a Man United forum ffs. Anyway, the deadlock was broken when not-fat-yet-Ronaldo weaved his way past the Diamonds defenders and stuck one away to Pagliuca's right. Tough on the keeper that, his nickname of 'The Wall' not really helping him much and perhaps acting as a strange premonition of walls that are promised but don't actually come to fruition. 1-0 Selfies. Amazingly enough, Tacchinardi's immense calibre, it apparently being enough to be a football genius just by having played a lot, didn't seem to help him when up against one of the best players there has ever been. Seems you actually have to impress when playing football as well, who woulda thunk it?

After that it was pretty much one way traffic, with 'The Providence' Massaro popping up all over the pitch and adding a second from distance after some neat interplay between Jonk and Djorkaeff, them having no idea that they would both one day light up the North of England at the end of their careers, the poor sods. Half-time and 2-0 Selfies.

In the second half, the alphabetically challenged combo of Zanetti, Zamorano and Zola tried to make a game of it and managed to pull one back, though it was mostly down to Taffarel going walkabout, eventually leaving Ivan the not at all terrible with a tap in. Now then, Taffarel. OK he was the best Brazilian keeper at the time, but the second best was Gisele, and she was only ten years old. But anyway, 2-1 and could the Diamonds make a game of it?

No, of course not. There was a bigger gap in central midfield than between Ronaldo's two front teeth, and he helped himself to two more goals to complete his hat-trick. 4-1. Nice one Selfies. We'll follow your team's progress with interest, though you might want to think long and hard about your choice of keeper.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ah the diamonds of Oaencha are shining tonight! Not because they are going through, mind, obviously not
Amazingly enough, Tacchinardi's immense calibre, it apparently being enough to be a football genius just by having played a lot
OK he was the best Brazilian keeper at the time, but the second best was Gisele, and she was only ten years old.
There was a bigger gap in central midfield than between Ronaldo's two front teeth
:lol:

Great read as usual

Oaencha

Ah the diamonds of Oaencha are shining tonight! Not because they are going through, mind, obviously not. In retrospect, telling two of your already-slightly-fannyish midfielders in Nakata and Zola you have 'no defensive duties' and 'a free role' respectively might have been a bit of a managerial error, and especially after watching them admiring each other's hairstyles through much of the match. You have to admire the style, though. Not only did the lads line up in the apparently-highly-favoured-amongst-draft-managers-despite-being-shite formation also known as the sp***** diamond, there were diamonds in Nakata's ears, in Pagliuca's eyes, and very probably in Zamorano's bellend. Diamonds, of course, are famous for being a girl's best friend, and apparently this meant that Oaencha's side had to play like girls n'all. A bit sad, from a footballing point of view.

They started well enough, though, and would have taken an early lead had any of their three goals in the first half been allowed. Unfortunately, on all three occasions Inzaghi the flea was given offside. Whether he was or wasn't was really beside the point as far as the linesman was concerned, he just found Inzaghi incredibly annoying giving him problems all the time so decided to keep his flag up for the entire half. Probably the right call to be fair.

Harms' Selfies finally began to get a grip of the game half way through the first half and the Diamonds rarely saw the ball much after that. Maybe they'll pick a functioning midfield next time - who knows? Who cares, for that matter? We're all empty vessels floating on a sea of nothingness and this is a theoretical match between a bunch of old footballers on a Man United forum ffs. Anyway, the deadlock was broken when not-fat-yet-Ronaldo weaved his way past the Diamonds defenders and stuck one away to Pagliuca's right. Tough on the keeper that, his nickname of 'The Wall' not really helping him much and perhaps acting as a strange premonition of walls that are promised but don't actually come to fruition. 1-0 Selfies. Amazingly enough, Tacchinardi's immense calibre, it apparently being enough to be a football genius just by having played a lot, didn't seem to help him when up against one of the best players there has ever been. Seems you actually have to impress when playing football as well, who woulda thunk it?

After that it was pretty much one way traffic, with 'The Providence' Massaro popping up all over the pitch and adding a second from distance after some neat interplay between Jonk and Djorkaeff, them having no idea that they would both one day light up the North of England at the end of their careers, the poor sods. Half-time and 2-0 Selfies.

In the second half, the alphabetically challenged combo of Zanetti, Zamorano and Zola tried to make a game of it and managed to pull one back, though it was mostly down to Taffarel going walkabout, eventually leaving Ivan the not at all terrible with a tap in. Now then, Taffarel. OK he was the best Brazilian keeper at the time, but the second best was Gisele, and she was only ten years old. But anyway, 2-1 and could the Diamonds make a game of it?

No, of course not. There was a bigger gap in central midfield than between Ronaldo's two front teeth, and he helped himself to two more goals to complete his hat-trick. 4-1. Nice one Selfies. We'll follow your team's progress with interest, though you might want to think long and hard about your choice of keeper.
Interesting! A funny read. What’s your (jokes aside) actual opinion on the match?

Oaencha

At work so can't watch yet but that's the best Ronaldo against the worst Napoli side of the 90s. How many did he score?
It’s no suprise that Ronaldo is better than Baldini. Seeing as Baldini isn’t focusing on Ronaldo and the rest of my defence are infinitely better than the rest of that Napoli defence it’s not especially comparable.

Oaencha

ah, yeah. Indeed it's pretty relevant in the middle of the park.

Same with Seedorf role here, which is pretty important for harms in this 3-4-3.
If this was peak Seedorf then he would cause problems but despite still being a good player, non-peak Seedorf isn’t a mismatch for Boghossian.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Interesting! A funny read. What’s your (jokes aside) actual opinion on the match?
I think you will find my match reports precisely reflect what would actually happen in a match, so the vote aligns with it.

Any complaints should be delivered to noodlehair.

Thanks for your patience.

harms

Staff
If this was peak Seedorf then he would cause problems but despite still being a good player, non-peak Seedorf isn’t a mismatch for Boghossian.
Yeah, he only outplayed Davids and Conte in the video I posted on the first page. Imagine if it was peak Seedorf!

Oaencha

I think you will find my match reports precisely reflect what would actually happen in a match, so the vote aligns with it.

Any complaints should be delivered to noodlehair.

Thanks for your patience.
:lol: No complaints but your analysis misses a lot of the key points in the match.

harms

Staff
Right, I think that I've made all my points and now I'm just getting ultradefensive about my players, which is never a good sign :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
nah, I don't mean that he's a mismatch for Seedorf, but rather the general mechanics. Think @antohan summarized it pretty well. Tacchinardi will have to deal with Djorkaeff, which will leave space for both Ronaldo and Massaro. On the flip side you have a definite advantage with Zanetti on the right flank, especially against 3-4-3 and a midfield unit that will cause harms problems.

Would be very fun match that you need to outscore the opposition to win.

Oaencha

Right, I think that I've made all my points and now I'm just getting ultradefensive about my players, which is never a good sign :lol:
I think I’m doing the same so I’ll leave it here too. Ultimately, I like your team, it’s a close match and it’s going to come down to small details.

antohan

It’s no suprise that Ronaldo is better than Baldini. Seeing as Baldini isn’t focusing on Ronaldo and the rest of my defence are infinitely better than the rest of that Napoli defence it’s not especially comparable.
Which is what I was getting at. Since I had no reply I chose to quickly check it: the top top peak Ronaldo scored a penalty over 180 minutes against one of the worst Serie A defences of the 90s. A defence that, among other things, sorely missed Boghossian in midfield. And Zamorano scored too.

So I voted for you, I can see the other defence being more vulnerable and you (or Zola) better equipped to exploit these vulnerabilities.

And I rate Pagliuca as the best keeper in this draft, as I said before.

That said, Baldini should focus on Ronaldo because Ronaldo will surely target him. Unless he has a dedicated man marker, you don't get to choose who is dealing with Ronaldo. Ronaldo does.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Which is what I was getting at. Since I had no reply I chose to quickly check it: the top top peak Ronaldo scored a penalty over 180 minutes against one of the worst Serie A defences of the 90s. A defence that, among other things, sorely missed Boghossian in midfield. And Zamorano scored too.
The penalty that he himself earned. And he was also involved in both goals in the away game. I thought it wasn't a serious question though, so haven't bothered to answer.

That Inter was a strange team and I purposely went away from their game set up, because Massaro (and a more attacking approach) makes Ronaldo much more dangerous. Not only he is a goalscorer, but the way that the opposition defence has to triple-mark him, leaving behind huge gaps, that's what made his season so special (and Inter didn't exploit it as they should've)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That Inter was a strange team and I purposely went away from their game set up, because Massaro (and a more attacking approach) makes Ronaldo much more dangerous. Not only he is a goalscorer, but the way that the opposition defence has to triple-mark him, leaving behind huge gaps, that's what made his season so special (and Inter didn't exploit it as they should've)
I don't know if it's Massaro that makes your team more dangerous - given the top calibre of Ronaldo's other attackers at Inter - as opposed to the better quality in defence and steadier ship in midfield.

Oaencha

So I voted for you, I can see the other defence being more vulnerable and you (or Zola) better equipped to exploit these vulnerabilities.

And I rate Pagliuca as the best keeper in this draft, as I said before.

That said, Baldini should focus on Ronaldo because Ronaldo will surely target him. Unless he has a dedicated man marker, you don't get to choose who is dealing with Ronaldo. Ronaldo does.
I appreciate your thoughts. What you’re saying makes sense but I chose Nesta to focus on him for a reason. Firstly because he is on a different planet to Baldini talent-wise. Secondly... well honestly if I had mentioned in my write up that Baldini will focus on Ronaldo, I would be greeted with plenty of these :lol:.

antohan

I appreciate your thoughts. What you’re saying makes sense but I chose Nesta to focus on him for a reason. Firstly because he is on a different planet to Baldini talent-wise. Secondly... well honestly if I had mentioned in my write up that Baldini will focus on Ronaldo, I would be greeted with plenty of these :lol:.
Forget about focus. I was addressing you saying he won't focus and probably should have said "should not not focus" instead.

My point is: it's not for you to choose. They all have to go out to do their jobs, whether that's Ronaldo, Djorkaeff or Massaro that pops up. It is the forwards that will attack one or the other depending on how a move shapes up.

RooneyLegend

Ronaldo would rip the majority of defenders in this draft, but Nesta is one of the few you would want in there to try and keep him quiet. A good matchup.
Sadly ripped him apart too, one of the greatest individual performances ever seen. Sure Nesta was younger at the time but he was already a big time defender and rate as one of the best.

RooneyLegend

Sadly, Ronaldo was an all round threat, as the poster said he chose who to attack, no one chose who to defend against him, unless its a godforsaken man marking job. Ronaldo's threat was unparalleled. He could pick up the ball deep on the right hand side and you'd feel as though something special could happen.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sadly ripped him apart too, one of the greatest individual performances ever seen. Sure Nesta was younger at the time but he was already a big time defender and rate as one of the best.
Yeah he was a beast and its very difficult to completely shut him out, but my point was that Nesta would be one of the select few you would choose in this pool to try and handle him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not really sold on Carboni on winback role. Seedorf was also a RM predominantly in this era. He switched left for Real, but then he had a prime Roberto Carlos to man the flank. I doubt you'd be able to hold the midfield and given one vs one changes, Inzaghi would become a major factor.

Ronaldo will be a major factor for harms. Nesta will even things out, but he's not going to man mark Fenomeno, so we can expect him to score.

harms

Staff
Not really sold on Carboni on winback role. Seedorf was also a RM predominantly in this era. He switched left for Real, but then he had a prime Roberto Carlos to man the flank. I doubt you'd be able to hold the midfield and given one vs one changes, Inzaghi would become a major factor.

Ronaldo will be a major factor for harms. Nesta will even things out, but he's not going to man mark Fenomeno, so we can expect him to score.
I'm sorry, but I've watched pretty much everything from Seedorf and he moved to the left already. And I play his Inter version.

Don't know how people are talking about the midfield battle when there are 2 good-ish midfielders, non-existent Nakata (who is specifically freed from any defensive duties) and Zola :lol:

harms

Staff
Yeah, it was the same Nesta he's playing — of the 90's, not the 2000-2004 version.

Oaencha

I'm sorry, but I've watched pretty much everything from Seedorf and he moved to the left already. And I play his Inter version.

Don't know how people are talking about the midfield battle when there are 2 good-ish midfielders, non-existent Nakata (who is specifically freed from any defensive duties) and Zola :lol:
Come on... Do you honestly believe Tacchinardi was just good-ish? That’s ridiculous and you’re massively underrating him.

There is definitely a battle in centre midfield...

Tacchinardi, Boghossian, Nakata and Zola

Pre-peak Seedorf, Wim Jonk and Djorkjaeff.

harms

Staff
Come on... Do you honestly believe Tacchinardi was just good-ish? That’s ridiculous and you’re massively underrating him.
This is the same guy that had only 1 season as a starter in the 90's, right? A great Juventini, a good midfielder; a great one in the 00's. Not in the same league as a "pre-peak" Seedorf.

Enigma_87

You know who

There is definitely a battle in centre midfield...

Tacchinardi, Boghossian, Nakata and Zola

Pre-peak Seedorf, Wim Jonk and Djorkjaeff.
It's not peak Tacchinardi tho. Love the player but he definitely peaked after 00's.

Oaencha

This is the same guy that had only 1 season as a starter in the 90's, right? A great Juventini, a good midfielder; a great one in the 00's. Not in the same league as a "pre-peak" Seedorf.
Not in the same league?! That’s crazy. Seedorf played just 20 Serie A games for Inter in the 99/00 season. The only reason he qualifies for this draft is the additional 32 Serie A games he played for Sampdoria in the 95/96 season.

harms

Staff
Not in the same league?! That’s crazy. Seedorf played just 20 Serie A games for Inter in the 99/00 season. The only reason he qualifies for this draft is the additional 32 Serie A games he played for Sampdoria in the 95/96 season.
Seedorf played 20 games because he was there for half a season. Not because someone better was picked ahead of him, like it happened with Tacchinardi for 7 out of 8 eligible seasons. Don't know what you've got against the rules that were clear from the start btw.

Seedorf also led his team to a Coppa Italia final by the way, scoring the winner and assisting an equalizer in 2 games against AC Milan and scoring against Lazio in the final. He was quite important that season.