Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - harms vs Oaencha

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

idmanager

I agree he wasn’t at his very peak but I feel his time at Inter is underrated. His numbers aren’t incredible but he worked tirelessly for the team. Do you not rate his time in Serie A?
It's the combination upfront for me. Inzaghi can be super irritating when it's not his day and you would want someone more prolific alongside which Zamorano wasn't. Not someone who failed to hit double digits even once in his half a decade at Inter.

Zola has a great platform here. I do feel you will boss the rest of the midfield as well since harms lacks both the numbers and sheer quality although I do rate Djorkaeff.

The only thing that makes me reconsider my vote is your strikers as a pair and especially when the other side boasts Fenomeno. Will post more before the polling ends if I do change. Cheers. Great game this. Loving the high turnouts.

Oaencha

I'm not sure why nothing is being made of Grun.

Surely the weakest player on the pitch?
In a back three no less. Ronaldo, is (understandably) swaying a lot of the votes but not enough is being made of how overwhelmed that back line is against my attack.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's the combination upfront for me. Inzaghi can be super irritating when it's not his day and you would want someone more prolific alongside which Zamorano wasn't. Not someone who failed to hit double digits even once in his half a decade at Inter.

Zola has a great platform here. I do feel you will boss the rest of the midfield as well since harms lacks both the numbers and sheer quality although I do rate Djorkaeff.

The only thing that makes me reconsider my vote is your strikers as a pair and especially when the other side boasts Fenomeno. Will post more before the polling ends if I do change. Cheers. Great game this. Loving the high turnouts.

Agree, this si the reason it has made it difficult for me to decide in the end. Went with @Oaencha in the end, not an easy decision. Zanetti sealed it for me.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

To be honest I rate him higher than a few others on the park - he was well regarded at Parma in the early 1990s and probably makes an all-time Belgium XI, for what it's worth. Key role for him obviously as you can see Zola getting space inbetween the lines there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

The feck :lol: 77 caps for Belgium, winning actual trophies for Parma, including European ones (a glorious assist in the CWC final too), when the opposition fields Francesco Baldini :rolleyes: He was even nominated for Ballon D'Or in 1993, and not because of a great international tournament as it usually happens (no such tournament in 1993).

For example, this is his media rating (La Stampa and Gazzetta):

This is Nesta's for the 90's:

Of course media ratings aren't everything, there is a huuge gulp in class between those two but Grün being the weakest player on the pitch is just BS, sorry.

harms

Staff
In a back three no less. Ronaldo, is (understandably) swaying a lot of the votes but not enough is being made of how overwhelmed that back line is against my attack.
:confused:
Grün played in the back three all his time in Serie A. Exactly where I'm playing him, on the right side of back 3. Same as Fuser btw, "makeshift wingback" (while he isn't a wingback at all, he is a side midfielder), who played in the exact same position and role lots of times.

Oaencha

Grün played in the back three all his time in Serie A. Exactly where I'm playing him, on the right side of back 3. Same as Fuser btw, "makeshift wingback" (while he isn't a wingback at all, he is a side midfielder), who played in the exact same position and role lots of times.
I’m not saying he didn’t. I was once again pointing out your lack of defensive personnel and exposed flanks.

Oaencha

Grün wasn’t a bad defender at all but he’s facing Inzaghi, Zola, Nakata and Candela down that left side. He doesn’t stand a chance unless you have a dedicated defensive midfielder and a more defensive wide midfielder than Fuser playing.

He has to deal with all the attacks down the left while not being pulled out of position.

harms

Staff
Thanks for the game @Oaencha. It was as close as it could get.
It seems that there are a few things I should rethink my stance on.

Oaencha

That’s tough to take. Defeated by my sleep patterns and Fenomeno.

Thank you to everyone who voted for my team and for the high turnout.

Well played @harms. It was a close match. You were extremely fortunate to pick Ronaldo.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Zamorano had such a terrible record that despite having Ronaldo, Vieri, Baggio, Recoba and others available he still was a more regular starter than any of them.

Sure, injuries play a part, but there's more to a strike partnership than both players scoring.

antohan

Stuff like this makes me rethink my vote. Isn't anyone aware 3-4-1-2 was a typical Serie A formation?

Oaencha

I have no idea how I managed to pick him being third :lol:
He should have been first pick easily. People will choose your team just because he’s in it. Saying that though he will only get you so far in the draft if you don’t tinker with your defensive tactics. They struggled against my attack but will be in serious trouble if they come against Bastistuta/Chiesa/Mancini for example.

I’m pleased at the amount of overall votes and discussion though. It was a good game.

Oaencha

Stuff like this makes me rethink my vote. Isn't anyone aware 3-4-1-2 was a typical Serie A formation?
As I mentioned in my reply to harms, I wasn’t doubting the personnel but pointing out the amount of work the 3 CBs have to do in this game.

antohan

Depends on the setup and partner too. But that is ok. Not everyone looks at stuff the same way.
I do agree with the main point that Inzaghi off his game isn't worth the other striker playing a sacrificed role but this was a very good Inzaghi afaic and the defence was perfectly set up for that dynamic. Swap the strikers around and I would have voted differently.

harms

Staff
As I mentioned in my reply to harms, I wasn’t doubting the personnel but pointing out the amount of work the 3 CBs have to do in this game.
To be fair the bit that surprised me most was how you continued to say that Carboni is too attacking for that role. If anything I would expect criticism of his attacking contribution, not the other way round!

antohan

To be fair the bit that surprised me most was how you continued to say that Carboni is too attacking for that role. If anything I would expect criticism of his attacking contribution, not the other way round!
:lol:

Oaencha

I meant both him and Fuser were both very high up the pitch in your formation picture.
There’s so much space down your full back positions and Zanetti/Candela would be devastating.

More suprisingly for me is that you have no one picking up Zola (in a free role) down the middle.

Ronaldo won you the game definitely.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Really surprised by this one! Didn't see it as all that close.