Serie A 90's Draft Round 1 - harms vs Oaencha

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their Serie A 90's peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oaencha

Seedorf played 20 games because he was there for half a season. Not because someone better was picked ahead of him, like it happened with Tacchinardi for 7 out of 8 eligible seasons. Don't know what you've got against the rules that were clear from the start btw.

Seedorf also led his team to a Coppa Italia final by the way, scoring the winner and assisting an equalizer in 2 games against AC Milan and scoring against Lazio in the final. He was quite important that season.
I have nothing at all against the rules. I don’t disagree that Seedorf qualifies but saying his 20 good but not amazing performances for Inter in 99/00 puts him ‘in a different league’ to Tacchinardi is exaggerated. Tacchinardi had stiff competition from some exceptional players at Juventus. The fact he got as many games as he did is impressive.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I have nothing at all against the rules. I don’t disagree that Seedorf qualifies but saying his 20 good but not amazing performances for Inter puts him ‘in a different league’ to Tacchinardi is exaggerated. Tacchinardi had stiff competition from some exceptional players at Juventus. The fact he got as many games as he did is impressive.
Not really, but I feel that it's not the point that we'll agree on :)

RooneyLegend

Yeah he was a beast and its very difficult to completely shut him out, but my point was that Nesta would be one of the select few you would choose in this pool to try and handle him.
I'd like a solid partnership set up to try to limit him. All though he did spent time all over the place, quite a fair bit of the time he was central or in the left hand channel. I'd like an explanation on how a Defnesive mid, right back and the right hand sided center back will handle him. All would need to be quality players and then perhaps an arguement on how he could be limited could come up.
Yeah, it was the same Nesta he's playing — of the 90's, not the 2000-2004 version.
Nesta says there's absolutely nothing he could've done that day any different, said he analysed the game over and over and it wasn't poor defending on his part just exceptional attacking by Ronaldo.

harms

Staff
Nesta says there's absolutely nothing he could've done that day any different, said he analysed the game over and over and it wasn't poor defending on his part just exceptional attacking by Ronaldo.
Yeah, I've had part of that quote in my OP, actually. Mind-blowing performance, really.
At least I've rewatched tons of Ronaldo's games for this draft, simply magical.

RooneyLegend

Yeah, I've had part of that quote in my OP, actually. Mind-blowing performance, really.
At least I've rewatched tons of Ronaldo's games for this draft, simply magical.
You should get a proper striker in your team if you win the game(you guys take each other's players iirc?or is it not like that anymore?). When Ronaldo played with Romario he really showed a different level of player. He had the freedom while Romario would be the wall and play with his touch. The combination play was unreal.

Oaencha

I'd like a solid partnership set up to try to limit him. All though he did spent time all over the place, quite a fair bit of the time he was central or in the left hand channel. I'd like an explanation on how a Defnesive mid, right back and the right hand sided center back will handle him. All would need to be quality players and then perhaps an arguement on how he could be limited could come up.

Ronaldo was incredible and hard to stop, no doubt. This is one of the reasons I focused on attack. I was pretty positive Harms would use a back three and I don’t think his defence can handle my different attacking options.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not really sold on Carboni on winback role. Seedorf was also a RM predominantly in this era. He switched left for Real, but then he had a prime Roberto Carlos to man the flank. I doubt you'd be able to hold the midfield and given one vs one changes, Inzaghi would become a major factor.

Ronaldo will be a major factor for harms. Nesta will even things out, but he's not going to man mark Fenomeno, so we can expect him to score.
For Real. At Samp (before) Seedorf-Karembeu were the midfield pair.

Oaencha

You should get a proper striker in your team if you win the game(you guys take each other's players iirc?or is it not like that anymore?). When Ronaldo played with Romario he really showed a different level of player. He had the freedom while Romario would be the wall and play with his touch. The combination play was unreal.
Ronaldo was great beside Zamorano as well. That’s one of the reasons I paired him with Inzaghi; he brings out the best in his partner.

antohan

Not in the same league?! That’s crazy. Seedorf played just 20 Serie A games for Inter in the 99/00 season. The only reason he qualifies for this draft is the additional 32 Serie A games he played for Sampdoria in the 95/96 season.
Which were very good. In any case, I d9n't understand this fixation with Seedorf vs Tacchinardi when Alessio is most likely minding Djorkaeff and largely occupied with closing gaps/space rather than in some gladiator contest.

idmanager

Although Zola already determined my vote, Zamorano at Inter was way off his peak.

Oaencha

Although Zola already determined my vote, Zamorano at Inter was way off his peak.
I agree he wasn’t at his very peak but I feel his time at Inter is underrated. His numbers aren’t incredible but he worked tirelessly for the team. Do you not rate his time in Serie A?

Oaencha

Which were very good. In any case, I d9n't understand this fixation with Seedorf vs Tacchinardi when Alessio is most likely minding Djorkaeff and largely occupied with closing gaps/space rather than in some gladiator contest.
The only reason I was debating it was because Harms said Tacchinardi was good-ish and that pre-peak Seedorf was in a different league to him. I feel that’s exaggerated, Harms doesn’t. We left it there.

antohan

Inter Zamorano is exactly the sort of player you want against Montero and Ferrara. He has the thankless task of drawing them on, battling it out and getting bashed many times over to isolate Pippo on Grun. Few players could execute that so well and so willingly.

antohan

The only reason I was debating it was because Harms said Tacchinardi was good-ish and that pre-peak Seedorf was in a different league to him. I feel that’s exaggerated, Harms doesn’t. We left it there.
Overall quality he is right, but different roles/tasks and types of players. It's completely irrelevant.

antohan

Yeah, but it's the closest to a real match between these two in this era. I think Ronaldo was at his peak and Nesta was not. Makes a difference.
On that basis we may as well consider World Cups, Euros, CL and whatnot. Makes a difference.

Oaencha

Yeah, but it's the closest to a real match between these two in this era. I think Ronaldo was at his peak and Nesta was not. Makes a difference.
At the beginning of each write up it says ‘Performances outside this timeframe or other competitions do not count’. That UEFA Cup match was a one off cup game outside of these parameters. Anything can happen in one match. Both Nesta and Ronaldo were excellent in the league.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not sure what this argument is about but Ronaldo scored a hat trick in this match. 'Played notyetfatboy.

Oaencha

This is going to go down to the wire. I feel I have a major advantage down both wings against Harm’s back three. Here are some compilations of Zanetti and Candela causing havoc down their respective sides.

Oaencha

And any excuse to post of a video of this genius. If Ronaldo gets past Nesta he still has this imposing figure to beat.

harms

Staff
Going to sleep, so a couple of points that are still bothering me.
  • Oaencha has 4 players who aren't involved in ANY defending (by his own admission). One of those players are hardly involved in the game at all, trying not to get in offside position :lol: With only 6 players involved in the defensive phase at all hey are simply going to get murdered here — and there are too many not GOAT links for Ronaldo & co to exploit
  • Baldini - a weak link in the defence, not only against my GOAT attacker in Ronaldo, but he isn't a match for Massaro or Djorkaeff either
  • Oaencha keeps insisting that his fullbacks are very attacking — in fact, he claims that he'll dominate the flanks, even though they are their only wide players. With that in mind, I think his back 4 becomes even more suspect; and Baldini is going to get even more exposed
  • Nesta vs Ronaldo. UEFA Cup excluded, Ronaldo still have an upper hand — as you can see in the league games of Inter vs Lazio in 1997/98
  • Seedorf is quite great — at this point he was already 2 times Dutch player of the year, CL winner with Ajax and Madrid and a key performer in Inter's biggest games; on the other hand Tacchinardi, for example, only played 1 season as a starter in the 90's — he was a squad player for 7 (!!) other seasons;

Oaencha

To address Harm’s points

1) Inzaghi, Zamorano, Zola and Nakata are not defending, true.

To put it in perspective though you have Ronaldo, Djorkaeff and Massaro who are not defending. In addition you are playing with two not particularly defensive wing backs who are pretty high up the pitch.

Montero, Ferrara and Grun are very exposed and will be overwhelmed by Inzaghi and Zamorano in the box, Zola completely unchecked behind them, Nakata speeding forward behind him and Candela/Zanetti via the wings.

2 + 3) You keep mentioning Baldini as if he’s the only defensive player. Even if we don’t include Nesta... Zanetti and Candela will only get forward when the team attacks and Tacchinardi is playing in front of the defence. Boghossian will also drop back if needed. Plenty of defensive cover.

4) Yes, Ronaldo is amazing. Nesta is a quality player though and one of the few centre backs in the draft who could potentially make a difference against him.

5) I’m not going over the Seedorf/Tacchinardi debate again with you. We both think eachother are wrong so let’s please leave it be.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Oaencha keeps insisting that his fullbacks are very attacking — in fact, he claims that he'll dominate the flanks, even though they are their only wide players. With that in mind, I think his back 4 becomes even more suspect; and Baldini is going to get even more exposed
Zanetti and Candela can provide width without being considered an liability in defence.

Enigma_87

You know who
Zanetti and Candela can provide width without being considered an liability in defence.
Absolutely. Especially Zanetti is a force of nature on that flank. If he's facing a single threat in Cabrini he would definitely put his authority on the game.

Oaencha

There is a difference between providing width and dominating the wing.
Carbone is a mismatch for Zanetti and wouldn’t stand much of a chance regardless of whether Zanetti is defending or attacking. That is dominating the wing.

Oaencha

In a lesser respect Candela will cause Grün and Fuser massive problems down the left as well.

Fuser isn’t very defensive minded and Grün will have to deal with Candela’s pace and two-footed crosses.

Oaencha

Sure. I don't rate Carboni's attacking skills much. That wing is Zanetti's.
Fuser vs Candela is a even tie imo.
I feel it leans slightly in Candela’s favour.

Fuser was a very good winger but wasn’t particularly good at tackling. Using him as a makeshift wing back is risky.

Candela was an actual wing back who was very good at defending and attacking.

Oaencha

Not sure what this argument is about but Ronaldo scored a hat trick in this match. 'Played notyetfatboy.
We were pointing out that the famous Nesta vs Ronaldo performance was in the UEFA Cup and doesn’t count in this draft.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We were pointing out that the famous Nesta vs Ronaldo performance was in the UEFA Cup and doesn’t count in this draft.
Kind of irrelevant when Ron has already taken home the match ball (and possibly eaten it) though. Was my point.

antohan

I feel it leans slightly in Candela’s favour.

Fuser was a very good winger but wasn’t particularly good at tackling. Using him as a makeshift wing back is risky.

Candela was an actual wing back who was very good at defending and attacking.
Eh? He played the same RM role in 3-4-3 setups. Nothing makeshift about it, it's exactly what he is doing here.

Oaencha

Eh? He played the same RM role in 3-4-3 setups. Nothing makeshift about it, it's exactly what he is doing here.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. What I meant was using him in this match as a wing back is risky considering how offensive he is and the space left at RB.

Oaencha

Kind of irrelevant when Ron has already taken home the match ball (and possibly eaten it) though. Was my point.
Ah I see... you’re referring to your ‘Sinchism’! Ronaldo is likely to score goals but Harm’s defence is just as likely to conceed as well.

Oaencha

Fuser did play Wingback iirc. Was researching him during the draft
As I’m sure many of us did, I followed Serie A religiously during the 90s. I didn’t have a favourite team but watched hundreds and hundreds of various matches. I remember Fuser well and even though he was great to watch on the wing I can’t recall him ever being that good at defending.