g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sheep draft QF - NM vs Cutch

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Cocky Chilavert pushed Platini away and takes the next pen himself..

He shoots to the center...

... and over the bar.

A miss.

Cutch - O X
NM
- O X

All Square again....

crappycraperson

Scout
Bozsik is all business and shoots a bullet to the left...
Chilavert still in trauma from his miss, does not move..

Cutch - O X O
NM
- O X

NM

Wait, how is a miss? Did Cutch keep his keeper center or was I just really unlucky?

crappycraperson

Scout
It's the MOTM Platini up next .. will he bottle it... ?
Van der Sar is ready... he can see his manager snatching his hair out in the sideline...

The shot is to the left... VDS pulls off a save reminiscent of one from Moscow by diving to his right!

A decisive lead?

Cutch - O X O
NM
- O X X

A decisive lead?

crappycraperson

Scout
Fontaine smacks a rocket right down the middle...

Chilavert goes to his right in vain..

Cutch - O X O O
NM
- O X X

crappycraperson

Scout
Lots of pressure on the swede to make this count... Hamrin steps up....

Van der Sar dives to his left..

But no Cigar!

Kurt sent him the wrong way and slotted it to his left

Cutch - O X O O
NM
- O X X O

Hamrin keeps his team Alive!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Looks like Cutch's run with penos is about to finish.

Or am I jynxing it now? :p

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Interesting that Pupi missed and Hamrin scored. That trade may yet come back to haunt Cutch.

crappycraperson

Scout
It's all over.. Chilavert can't bear to face his manager duo..

while the Argentine is going mad with joy with his manager...

Cutch - O X O O O
NM
- O X X O

crappycraperson

Scout
The fifth kick don't matter but .. Cutch had that saved as well... so he was winning this 4-2

Taking
Charlton - R
Zanetti - R
Bozsik - L
Fontaine - C
Simeone - R

Saving
C
C
R
L
L
1. Puskas - shoots right
2. Chilavert - shoots center
3. Platini - shoots left
4. Hamrin - shoots left
5. Carlos Alberto - shoots right

Goalkeeper:
1. Chilavert stays center
2. Chilavert goes left
3. Chilavert stays center
4. Chilavert goes right
5. Chilavert foes right
Hard Luck @NM @Theon

NM

Have to say I'm genuinely surprised it was that close. Cutch had more names, and I've lost to him (usually badly) many times. He is one of my favorites to play against though. It doesn't get crazy.

If he replaces Simeone and Krol/Matthews he is set.

NM

FFS at least 4/5 of mine were regular penalty takers too. Only one who wasn't (I think) is Hamrin as I didn't look that up.:lol:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Have to say I'm genuinely surprised it was that close. Cutch had more names, and I've lost to him (usually badly) many times. He is one of my favorites to play against though. It doesn't get crazy.

If he replaces Simeone and Krol/Matthews he is set.
Cheers man. My memory's terrible so can't really remember our previous encounters but your sides are usually formidable so im surprised if I won a lot of them well.

This particular one i knew would be close as it seemed to be gettin quite the billing. I suspected penalties from a very early stage.

FFS at least 4/5 of mine were regular penalty takers too. Only one who wasn't (I think) is Hamrin as I didn't look that up.:lol:
I didn't think too much about the takers, just wanted Simeone to take the last one as I knew he'd be the biggest WUM :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Balu I don't underrate Fontaine, but I feel he still is a bit underwhelming compared to many others, say Puskas in this match. I think him and Batigol are on same level with little separating them. I don't think he is in the same class as Puskas, van Basten. Tbh, I'd rank Piola, Seeler or even Riva above him. Probably even Law, Shevchenko as in the same calibre... With a Lil bit of stretching.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Balu I don't underrate Fontaine, but I feel he still is a bit underwhelming compared to many others, say Puskas in this match. I think him and Batigol are on same level with little separating them. I don't think he is in the same class as Puskas, van Basten. Tbh, I'd rank Piola, Seeler or even Riva above him. Probably even Law, Shevchenko as in the same calibre... With a Lil bit of stretching.
But then, who do you think he should have picked to upgrade him? You say Fontaine is an underwhelming player in this context, when you can easily make a case for him being the 4th best striker in the draft and none of the top 3 (Puskas, van Basten, Müller) was available to Cutch for his 2nd pick. Unless you suggest that replacing Fontaine with van Basten was more important than replacing Gamarra in defense, which I disagree with. Vieri, Eto'o, Batistuta and Shevchenko started in other teams and like you said yourself, none of them is better than Fontaine.

Your comment was:
Despite that, Cutch should have upgraded his striker.
I thought the only 3 players you could consider a "weakness" in Cutch's almost flawless team were Gamarra, Simeone and Sadurni. All three are way further down the pecking order in their respective position than Fontaine between the available strikers here.

Fair enough, if you meant that in this match you think the gap between Puskas and Fontaine gives NM the edge, that's reasonable and I'd agree with it. Swap those two around and Cutch wins this match easily.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well done cutch. Unlucky NM, great match up worthy of a final. I'd upgrade Krol if you can Cutch.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
But then, who do you think he should have picked to upgrade him? You say Fontaine is an underwhelming player in this context, when you can easily make a case for him being the 4th best striker in the draft and none of the top 3 (Puskas, van Basten, Müller) was available to Cutch for his 2nd pick. Unless you suggest that replacing Fontaine with van Basten was more important than replacing Gamarra in defense, which I disagree with. Vieri, Eto'o, Batistuta and Shevchenko started in other teams and like you said yourself, none of them is better than Fontaine.

Your comment was:

I thought the only 3 players you could consider a "weakness" in Cutch's almost flawless team were Gamarra, Simeone and Sadurni. All three are way further down the pecking order in their respective position than Fontaine between the available strikers here.

Fair enough, if you meant that in this match you think the gap between Puskas and Fontaine gives NM the edge, that's reasonable and I'd agree with it. Swap those two around and Cutch wins this match easily.
Tbh, I think Gamarra would have done good enough for that round. Eventually can be upgraded, but van Basten would have taken his attack to a different level. He already had Simeone and Bozsik, so it's not as if his defence can be considered a 'weakness' anyway.

crappycraperson

Scout
Tbh, I think Gamarra would have done good enough for that round. Eventually can be upgraded, but van Basten would have taken his attack to a different level. He already had Simeone and Bozsik, so it's not as if his defence can be considered a 'weakness' anyway.
Jeez just accept you are wrong. Dickhead

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gamarra went down like a lead balloon in the 70s draft. Great defender but facing the wrong type of striker he could have posed Cutch some serious issues.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Well, I guess Fontaine plays one more game so we can discuss it further in the next game :lol: