Shinji Kagawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Rooney can't be dropped for Kagawa he brings too much to the table. Unfortunately Kagaw's skillset means he can only really shine as a no.10. I doubt he will ever play his best football here.

Crono

Rooney can't be dropped for Kagawa he brings too much to the table. Unfortunately Kagaw's skillset means he can only really shine as a no.10. I doubt he will ever play his best football here.
So you'd stick Ozil out wide as well? :confused:

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
So you'd stick Ozil out wide as well? :confused:

Ozil and Kagawa have different skillsets. Ozil would be more effective but he wouldn't be at his best out wide. You don't pay 42 million for a player not to be at their best.

Kag

Firstly, no-one would offer an argument for less goals.

No-one has a very good idea what Kagawa would be able to offer there because the fecker hasn't been given a chance. That "it wouldn't be enough" is obviously just your presumption based on the limited amount of time he's been played at United, mostly at wide-left, which can't be strong reasoning.

We'd probably lose some goals from Rooney, but obviously that doesn't matter if those lost goals are made up by Kagawa himself, along with the goals that would be up for grabs from the more creative football we presume could be played with Kagawa at #10.

It's absolutely stupid not to give him a run of games there, at least. It's what he was bought for.
Good post. The ideal tactical alternative, in my opinion, would be to use Kagawa at the tip of a 3 man midfield and use Rooney as an inside forward, similar to the role David Villa played at Barcelona. As long as the wide forwards, who could be any of Januzaj, Nani, Welbeck and Hernandez also, were making intelligent runs in behind defences instead of pulling out wide, I don't see why it would impact too negatively on their goal tallies. Infact, the goalscoring load would be shared and, theoretically, the use of a genuine #10 will allow for more creative football, thus more goals anyway. Simply saying "Rooney scores more goals" isn't much of an argument as far as I'm concerned. We've got Van Persie to do that, a player who doesn't get clear cut chances as it is.

Crono

It still makes me laugh that for Kagawa to earn a place at no.10, he has to play well on the wing first.

I know that is a common thing at United, but it's humorous nonetheless.
That's just a nonsense anyway, if he played well on the wing, there would be reason to keep him there, and it would be used as a reason.

Why is that any weirder than playing Rooney there?
Judging from the tone of his response, he wouldn't play Ozil out wide. Presumably this is because there is agreement that Ozil is a much better #10 than Rooney.

Skholesy

Will probably get shot down for this (so why am i suggesting it?), as it may not get the most out of Rooney. But i think this might fix our current, most pressing problems, which is creativity and a sub-standard midfield, in the short run at least. Not my original idea of course as i've seen this posted elsewhere in the caf.

Valencia/Nani---Carrick---Rooney--Januzaj/Nani
----------------------Kagawa---------------------
------------------------RVP------------------------

Rooney has that ability to play in central midfield, and as he gets older the consensus is that he would be great as a scholes type midfielder.
This will allow us to get the best out of Kagawa while putting in a bit more solidity in midfield. Rooney of course needs to learn a bit more discipline but he's a smart footballer and surely would adapt in no time. He could also still contribute goals through long range shooting and arriving late in the box.

Maybe not best for Rooney's morale, but maybe the best option for the team as a whole? I'd rather have Carrick-Rooney, despite Rooney is not well tested at CM at the moment, compared to Carrick - Fellaini/Cleverly/Jones/Anderson. Its not the best solution as maybe a marquee midfield signing, but better than any other option perhaps?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
It's not all that far off what we done last season against Arsenal, when Rooney was tasked with man-marking Arteta. Disrupted their game completely, leaving the rest of United to do their own game.

Spent near all of the game deep in midfield, broke their attacks and helped Carrick run the show.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Play a diamond formation to combat theiir midfield?

-------------defence--------------
--------------carrick-------------
-------fellaini----------cleverley--
---------------kagawa------------
-----------Rooney------RVP

Won't happen though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's not all that far off what we done last season against Arsenal, when Rooney was tasked with man-marking Arteta. Disrupted their game completely, leaving the rest of United to do their own game.

Spent near all of the game deep in midfield, broke their attacks and helped Carrick run the show.
I think that'll be key tomorrow. Rooney will probably play in behind RVP so it's important that he keeps their deeper midfielders occupied.

acnumber9

Won't happen though.
Let's hope you're right.

Varun

Staff

Won't happen though.

We arent going to outplay them in the middle regardless of how many bodies we put there. The more sensible thing would be to exploit where they are weak and that's out wide specially with them playing CMs out wide. I'd much rather see 2 solid CMs supported by Rooney in the middle, RVP up top on his own and 2 wide players, Nani on the right and Januzaj on the left.

Ash_G

We arent going to outplay them in the middle regardless of how many bodies we put there. The more sensible thing would be to exploit where they are weak and that's out wide specially with them playing CMs out wide. I'd much rather see 2 solid CMs supported by Rooney in the middle, RVP up top on his own and 2 wide players, Nani on the right and Januzaj on the left.

Yeah definitely, if we try to play a narrow game against them then that's giving them the upper foot. It's not our strong point atm. Using the wings has always done well for us against Arsenal.

LonelyFire

Don't think there is any possibility of nani playing. It will be Valencia and januzaj in the wide positions

Varun

Staff
Don't think there is any possibility of nani playing. It will be Valencia and januzaj in the wide positions

Yep, am pretty sure it will be Valencia out on the right. Was saying what I would rather see. I think we'l see less of the ball and will need players who can do well in tight spaces, hence my preference for Nani.

LonelyFire

Yep, am pretty sure it will be Valencia out on the right. Was saying what I would rather see. I think we'l see less of the ball and will need players who can do well in tight spaces, hence my preference for Nani.
Interesting. Have to say my preference in this particular game is Valencia - simply down to pace and work rate.

I don't think we will see nani for a while

Varun

Staff
Interesting. Have to say my preference in this particular game is Valencia - simply down to pace and work rate.

I dont see why that has to be the case at all. ITs not as if we're brimming with in form wingers anyways.

Rossa

Nani isn't exactly sluggish either and arguably better at carrying the ball at full pelt. Work rate and defensive work counts for Valencia, but again, Nani is underrated there.

There should be no reason why we should not see Nani for a while. What has he done to deserve that?

LonelyFire

Nani isn't exactly sluggish either and arguably better at carrying the ball at full pelt. Work rate and defensive work counts for Valencia, but again, Nani is underrated there.

There should be no reason why we should not see Nani for a while. What has he done to deserve that?
None of our wingers have played well this season - with exception of januzaj. Nani has been equally as poor as Valencia (young is on a different level of shit). Just got a sneaking suspicion Nani won't get much of a kick next few weeks. Moyes is trying to find a setup that works so I think you'll see him settle on Valencia/Januzaj quite a lot over next few games

Rossa

None of our wingers have played well this season - with exception of januzaj. Nani has been equally as poor as Valencia (young is on a different level of shit). Just got a sneaking suspicion Nani won't get much of a kick next few weeks. Moyes is trying to find a setup that works so I think you'll see him settle on Valencia/Januzaj quite a lot over next few games

Fair enough that, but the fact that Young has been given game time even whilst playing, as you eloquently put it (and I mean that), on a different level of shit, then there should be no logic behind not playing Nani as he's been far superior to Young. That said, Valencia and Januzaj have been our best wingers thus far this season.

Kag

If Valencia starts a third game in a week then I'll be astonished. Only Rooney has had such a role this season. I'm convinced Valencia will be on the bench, as taking into account the way Moyes likes to rotate, he wouldn't have played on Wednesday if we were going to start him today. That's the Ferguson and Moyes logic.

I also don't agree with the line of thought that Nani, or Valencia, have been invidivually poor. Stoke aside, Nani has played well and created chances. As has Kagawa, none of which have been converted. Valencia has been strange in that he's been inconsistent. He's had great games like Leverkusen and Liverpool, then appalling games like City and another I can no longer think of the name. Individually, the majority of the lads have done well, which suggests that the problems and lack of goals have been down to the system rather than inherently bad play. And I think that is the case. This strange variation of what is essentially a 4222 has isolated our central midfielder and created a situation where by our wide men must pick up the ball, and then dribble 30 yards to even come close to our static forwards. More often than not it leads Nani into taking stupid shots and Valencia and Young turning around and passing it to the full back. We're expecting them to take on the world, particularly against deep-lying back lines.

Januzaj should be a cert today, but any of Val, Shinji or Nani is more than fine. I just don't expect it to be Valencia.

hungrywing

Love him to death, but I'd be surprised if he stands out today. Out of all the things he's wonderful at, his stand-out strength is receiving the ball in that space between midfield and defence and then taking 0.01 seconds to put five gajillion questions into the defenders' heads as to whom he's going to play an utterly lethal pass to.

EDIT: Since we're talking Arsenal, I'd be less surprised than if it was against a "typical English team".

Status
Not open for further replies.