Shoooooooot!!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Van Gaal himself recently identified this as an issue. We're not taking enough shots. In our very next game the players responded to this public grievance by... not taking enough shots.

Some stats.

Our top 5 scorers, this season.
Our top 5 scorers, last season.
Our top 5 scorers, under Moyes.
Our top 5 scorers, Fergie's final season.

For comparison, here's Arsenal, from this season.

For all of Moyes' floundering and the "zombie football" of Fergie's final season, at least their players were a bit more willing to take a fecking crack at goal than they have been under Van Gaal. And we all know that if you don't shoot, you don't score.

Not really sure where I'm going with this other than maybe we should find a way to play Depay? He's been a bit cack but has taken almost twice as many shots per 90 as our other 'attacking' players. Is this reason enough to play him? How else do we get the team to take more shots?

Skills

Snitch
Not many great shooters in this team. Schweinsteiger and Memphis are probably the cleanest strikers at the club.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
We are trying to pass the ball into the net as well as wait for the perfect opportunity by passing 50 times.

We need to start getting width to stretch the defense and also take shots from 18 yards plus out.

Brophs

The One and Only
I've always presumed it's in line with our approach to ball retention i.e. don't waste the ball on low percentage shots. So players generally choose the lowest risk option. Sort of a new twist on Arsenal's old 'Let's walk it into the the net' theme.

Pogue Mahone

I've always presumed it's in line with our approach to ball retention i.e. don't waste the ball on low percentage shots. So players generally choose the lowest risk option. Sort of a new twist on Arsenal's old 'Let's walk it into the the net' theme.
Me too. Which made Van Gaal's recent comments interesting to hear.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We were trying with shots in the Middlesbrough game but most of them were a long way back from the goal and simply didn't trouble the keeper much. It's a mixture of not shooting enough but also not being in the right positions too shoot in the first place.

4 shots in out last 2 PL games and only 1 being on target is terrible though.

Adebesi

As I said in another thread earlier, this shows Van Gaal wants something other than what we are doing. I dont believe he is telling the press he wants us to shoot, but privately encouraging his players to avoid doing that unless they are highly confident that shot will be a goal. He isnt saying, "no speculative efforts please lads. If you think a shot is likely to be saved, just pass it instead. A better chance will open up eventually."

Its as frustrating as hell but these things happen. Three 0-0s in a row, that is not pretty, it is not inspiring. But it does happen. I think I heard it was the first time we have played out three goalless draws in a row since 2005. That is bad, but if you look at it another way, it means this was possible even under SAF. It doesnt necessarily mean we have terminal problems. (Although I would venture back in 2005 or whenever it was we probably had more chances we failed to convert.)

We definitely need a new striker, that will help, but even before we get one - hopefully in January, probably next summer though - we will start making chances and scoring again.

And yes, it is time to bring Memphis back in.

Pogue Mahone

We were trying with shots in the Middlesbrough game but most of them were a long way back from the goal and simply didn't trouble the keeper much. It's a mixture of not shooting enough but also not being in the right positions too shoot in the first place.

As someone else said those would be poor stats for one player, never mind a whole fecking team!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If we're challenging for top spot, then the players have to know they're better then most other teams. A team can beat anyone on their day. I think we're guilty of over complicating it. Sometimes you have to back yourself. Against Boro, I don't care if it's a cup game or that we might get knocked out. If you do what we did, you get what we did.

It's lunacy what we're doing. We're taking the tempo out of it and creating so few chances as to put so much pressure on one chance (if we're lucky). And we're giving teams a chance to bed themselves into the game. We should be attacking them from the first minute and if you have 60+ percent of the ball? You have to translate that to efforts/chances. We did well to get top spot but then we just gave it away too cheaply and now people are saying, "We've problems up top!!"

We do, but we might not have if we'd have played with an intent to score goals. We haven't and hence we've created feck all. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Giggs should be telling LVG, we're better then them. Let them worry about us. I think LVGs first season has planted bad ideas in his head.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As I said in another thread earlier, this shows Van Gaal wants something other than what we are doing. I dont believe he is telling the press he wants us to shoot, but privately encouraging his players to avoid doing that unless they are highly confident that shot will be a goal. He isnt saying, "no speculative efforts please lads. If you think a shot is likely to be saved, just pass it instead. A better chance will open up eventually."

Its as frustrating as hell but these things happen. Three 0-0s in a row, that is not pretty, it is not inspiring. But it does happen. I think I heard it was the first time we have played out three goalless draws in a row since 2005. That is bad, but if you look at it another way, it means this was possible even under SAF. It doesnt necessarily mean we have terminal problems. (Although I would venture back in 2005 or whenever it was we probably had more chances we failed to convert.)

We definitely need a new striker, that will help, but even before we get one - hopefully in January, probably next summer though - we will start making chances and scoring again.

And yes, it is time to bring Memphis back in.
I thought someone said it was 30 years ago?

Keenst

Ashley Young is a nice finisher from distance at times. I didn't think I'd be so anxious for him to play at the start of this season but here we are and I can't wait till he's back in the team.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Not many great shooters in this team. Schweinsteiger and Memphis are probably the cleanest strikers at the club.
This would explain LVG's continued attempts at signing Bale (on top of the obvious reasons).

Varun

Staff

fecking hell :lol:

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
i do struggle to understand one phenomen in LVG system.

With all the possession game oppos generally sit deep thus allow us space and time in front of their penalty box but in the same time restrict movement within the box.

If we did shoot from out side the box the defensive formation would be left guessing. they either push forward to prvenet us from shooting or stay deep to prevent the moment within the box.

Since we don't score from outside we don't create enough space.

So all in all lack of shooting from 2--25 yards blunts our attack.

predator

Youth NITK
Rooney doesn't hit it with his laces anymore, instead he goes for finesse shots with little power which usually miss the target.

Depay has a great shot and probably is the only one in our team who will have a go from over 25 yards if he gets the chance.

Schweinsteiger looks like he has forgotten how to shoot. He can strike a ball as well as anyone in our squad as we've seen in his career but hesitates along with many others.

There are a few others such as Valencia, Carrick and Young who also have shown they are capable of long range goals yet under Van Gaal that aspect of their game has dissappeared.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
fecking hell :lol:
Even worse when you do a bit of research and find out the following players have scored more goals than anyone in our squad in the PL in 2015 (Calendar year, i.e. since Jan 1st, PL only):

Harry Kane
Sergio Agüero
Olivier Giroud
Jamie Vardy
Christian Benteke
Alexis Sánchez
Sadio Mané
Mame Diouf
Bafetimbi Gomis
Saido Berahino
Romelu Lukaku
Graziano Pellè
Glenn Murray
Diego Costa
Riyad Mahrez
Danny Ings

Gerrard has scored the same amount of goals as Rooney ffs. :(

Varun

Staff
Even worse when you do a bit of research and find out the following players have scored more goals than anyone in our squad in the PL in 2015 (Calendar year, i.e. since Jan 1st, PL only):

Harry Kane
Sergio Agüero
Olivier Giroud
Jamie Vardy
Christian Benteke
Alexis Sánchez
Sadio Mané
Mame Diouf
Bafetimbi Gomis
Saido Berahino
Romelu Lukaku
Graziano Pellè
Glenn Murray
Diego Costa
Riyad Mahrez
Danny Ings

Gerrard has scored the same amount of goals as Rooney ffs. :(
Some of the names there. Incredible.

We are too slow and risk averse really. Things won't change unless that is addressed. You cannot finish off every chance you get.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Some of the names there. Incredible.

We are too slow and risk averse really. Things won't change unless that is addressed. You cannot finish off every chance you get.
Well our top 3 goalscorers are Mata, Rooney and Herrera, combined total of 19. Kane is on 20 goals (with tonights game to play). :lol:

Getsme

That actually makes me angry, not that confused though.

Getsme

I used Soccerway for those stats as at the time I looked Whoscored wasn't working for me.

According to Whoscored we have had 11 shots and 2 on targets in the last 2 games.
That's better.

U99ted

I saw the stat about 2005 being the last time we had three 0-0 in a row... We also had three losses of 1-0, 3-0 and 1-0 in a row last season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I remember in a recent game Schneiderlin receiving the ball in a great area to shoot, and, having wasted a few seconds making his decision, he decided to pass out wide. Our mentality is completely wrong, and van Gaal has to sort it out.

It's clear players fear making a mistake as they'll get dropped for it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That's better.
Still not great, average of 5.5 shots and 1 shot on target per game.

Using Whoscored stats...

United have had 12 or less shots on target in 10/11 games this season. Average = 10.0
Arsenal have had 12 or less shots on target in 2/11 games this season. Average = 19.2
City have had 12 or less shots on target in 1/11 games this season. Average = 18.9

The numbers:

Club / Shots / Shots OT
United / 110 / 40
Arsenal / 211 / 74
City / 208 / 80

Getsme

Using Whoscored stats...

United have had 12 or less shots on target in 10/11 games this season. Average = 10.0
Arsenal have had 12 or less shots on target in 2/11 games this season. Average = 19.2
City have had 12 or less shots on target in 1/11 games this season. Average = 18.9

The numbers:

Club / Shots / Shots OT
United / 110 / 40
Arsenal / 211 / 74
City / 208 / 80
I was joking, it's terrible, sadly not surprising in the slightest. :(

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not really sure where I'm going with this other than maybe we should find a way to play Depay? He's been a bit cack but has taken almost twice as many shots per 90 as our other 'attacking' players. Is this reason enough to play him?
No - he doesnt deserve a start just because he takes pot shots every now and again.

But the lack of long range shooting is an issue - in the City game in particular I can remember several times there was a decent opening for an effort on goal but the player chose to pass instead.

acrebo

Using Whoscored stats...

The numbers:

Club / Shots / Shots OT
United / 110 / 40
Arsenal / 211 / 74
City / 208 / 80
That really is damning. Not saying that we need to become a 'shoot on sight' team but for Arsenal to be so much more adventurous than us, considering Wenger's history of passing football, is staggering.

What's the bet we come out tomorrow night trying shots from all over the place?

Pogue Mahone

That really is damning. Not saying that we need to become a 'shoot on sight' team but for Arsenal to be so much more adventurous than us, considering Wenger's history of passing football, is staggering.

What's the bet we come out tomorrow night trying shots from all over the place?
I kind of expected that against Boro/Palace after Van Gaal's comments following the derby. Chance would be a fine thing, though.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Players don't really get in the right positions to shoot. A few times you would see a cross go in, cleared and the player it lands to just passes it out wide again, or the ball goes back to the opposition. Midfielders don't make runs into the box either, not like Scholes used to at least. Keeping shape is more important to LVG.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think LVGs first season has planted bad ideas in his head.
I think this is possible.

After we bought all our Galacticos. Our mood was high. There was excitement.
We had arguably the best No.9 in the World.
We had Real Madrid's best player.
We had the best GK in the World. Many thought (including LVG) that we could win the title last year.
We attacked. We were rampant. Di Maria played with impunity as if he owned the OT pitch. He was rampant. Even Di Maria's errors were being converted into goals. There were times in those games, where I actually felt sorry for our rivals.

Then J.Vardy happened. He ripped us apart in the Leicester game. This was a game where we still scored 3 goals, so our attackers were doing their job. LVG realised that mentally we are weak and everything changed. We all learned that 1 player can easily bully our entire team.
Since then, I feel that LVG changed his philosophy about attacking football and decided we needed to focus on clean sheets above everything else.

We then sold many attacking players over the Summer, without equal replacements.

The defensive trend has continued into this season. And perhaps we were on the verge of cutting loose (after displaying fantastic defensive performances), but then the Arsenal game happened. They sliced through us like a hot knife through butter.
So perhaps, we once again, have gone back into our shell. Even against the might of Middlesborough we were scared and played against them like they were the EPL team and we were the Championship team.

The only way we could be more defensive is if we play with 2 banks of 4 defenders, in order to keep a clean sheet.

Maybe we all need to get used to the following scorelines: 1-0, 1-1, 0-0.

PS. And don't get me started regarding LVG's love-child: W.Rooney. The Rooney situation is making my blood boil.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
we need to be taking that First time shot instead of trying to control and shoot....which by the time we do control, the chance has passed.

The Volley for example.

Almost seems like van Gaal has extracted all the confidence from the players.

They don't believe anymore.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Herrera's a great shooter, he tends to have a pop a bit more aswell.