Shooting at Dallas Protest - 5 police killed

Will Absolute

The man kept over 500 slaves during his lifetime. Paid large amounts of money to slave owners as compensation & continued to own slaves while serving in the White House, even though he claimed all men were created equal and this is a 'personal shortcoming' ??

Black people were known as 3/5ths of a man as part of the constitution how is any of that true?

He advocated to free slaves, but continued to have them. He was a hypocrite who's been romanticised.

you know what, never mind.
Jefferson was in many ways a quintessential liberal. An eloquent advocate of noble ideas who never allowed them to interfere with his personal pleasures.

In fairness he was such a spendthrift that granting freedom to his slaves would have meant bankruptcy. At his death his substantial legacy to his daughter Martha was some 100 black slaves. The only manumissions granted in his will were to his mistress, Sally Hemings, and his children by her.

Carolina Red

Staff
Science and Maths are obviously exempt, but you're just deflecting anyway so I'm out.
I've yet to deflect. Some things are and always have been, and always will be true. The approval of society does not affect the truth of some things. You are who asked for examples.

Carolina Red

Staff
Some details are becoming available on Micah Johnson's life...
Since returning from Afghanistan, Johnson had been working for a Mesquite company, Touch of Kindness. He said his job was to "assist [sic] mentally challenged children and adults with transportation to and from various appointments and retail stores."

A woman who answered the phone at the company told NBC News that Johnson had not come into work on Friday because it was his normal day off. She did not know he was connected to the Dallas shootings and said she found it impossible to believe.

"He's not that kind of person," he said. "He's not violent. That can't be him."

When investigators searched Johnson's home in Mesquite, they found "bomb making materials, ballistic vests, rifles, ammunition, and a personal journal of combat tactics," Dallas Police said. "Detectives are in the processing of analyzing the information contained in the journal."

Johnson's aunt declined to go into detail about his background, including whether he had a history of violence or emotional problems.

"Of course, someone did go out of their mind briefly," she said.

"Everybody is shocked, everybody is so shocked. But everybody sees what this is about. Did Xavier go too far? Yeah."
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/da...micah-xavier-johnson-was-army-veteran-n606101

Worked with disabled people before going on a shooting rampage... quite the dichotomy there.

DenisIrwin

Carolina Red

Staff
Seems like the kind of "good guy" the NRA would love to be armed. You're in favour of gun control. What sort of gun control might have prevented this from happening? Oh! I know!
Oh boy! Something that requires a Constitutional amendment! I wait with bated breath.

You know, no matter how long you beat that horse, it isn't going to come back to life.

Ivor Ballokov

That isn't an argument.

I've yet to deflect. Some things are and always have been, and always will be true. The approval of society does not affect the truth of some things. You are who asked for examples.
Ok, if that is what you want to believe then fair enough, it doesn't matter a jot though because we are the ones who are making these truths real and are doing so in the way we apply and interpret them, which is and always has been changing, that is undeniable.

Carolina Red

Staff
That isn't an argument.

Ok, if that is what you want to believe then fair enough, it doesn't matter a jot though because we are the ones who are making these truths real and are doing so in the way we apply and interpret them, which is and always has been changing, that is undeniable.
Whatever makes you happy. I wouldn't argue in absolutes though. Had you said "some things aren't eternally true" I'd have had no issue with your statement.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
No logic in this debate just people letting their hatred, blindness, and emotion over-rule their thought process.
Which itself can be a problematic attitude, when a running theme in the defence of trigger happy cops, is that their victims failed to be sufficiently logical and sensible when faced with the terrifying real time threat of authoritarian force. As if all they had to do was abide by some hindsighted notion of an easy, submissive, perfect jellyfish-like non-resistance.

Essentially, black victims are admonished for not being über-rational enough in life threatening situations, whilst their killers are excused by acknowledging that those very same standards are impossible to live up to, and emotional instinct is natural.

It's no wonder people get worked up when the narrative is so unfairly unbalanced.

Last edited:

Will Absolute

"Everybody is shocked, everybody is so shocked. But everybody sees what this is about. Did Xavier go too far? Yeah."

Interesting psychology that. The media's determination to turn black Americans into eternal martyrs bears bitter fruit.

Carolina Red

Staff

Interesting psychology that. The media's determination to turn black Americans into eternal martyrs bears bitter fruit.
Yeah I'm interested as to what she meant by that as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Carolina Red
I'm no fan of moral relativism, but, in a world which still hasn't accepted that "rape is bad", how can you argue that it's an eternal truth? And, seeing how society's views of rape have changed for the better (leading to statements like yours), isn't it striking how most other countries whose legal systems have roots in British law too, have moved away from the position that the right to bear arms is an inalienable god-given right alongside the right to life or free speech?

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red
I'm no fan of moral relativism, but, in a world which still hasn't accepted that "rape is bad", how can you argue that it's an eternal truth? And, seeing how society's views of rape have changed for the better (leading to statements like yours), isn't it striking how most other countries whose legal systems have roots in British law too, have moved away from the position that the right to bear arms is an inalienable god-given right alongside the right to life or free speech?
Because I believe that there is a difference between something that is true and something that is universally accepted. That people have believed and currently believe that something is acceptable that is unacceptable, in my opinion, does not have any bearing on something being truth or not being truth and vice versa.

While other British based legal systems have moved away from the idea that having arms for self defense is an unalienable right, that does not make their belief the truth. That simply means that their government is preventing them from exercising a right that their government, or at least my government, never even created.

Carolina Red

Staff
One of the London bombers was praised as an excellent youth worker.
I did not know that.

This guy seems like such a waste of a life. Served in the military, gained a marketable skill as a builder, worked with the disabled... and then just threw it all away for what?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I did not know that.

This guy seems like such a waste of a life. Served in the military, gained a marketable skill as a builder, worked with the disabled... and then just threw it all away for what?
It's really odd, isn't it. He basically went guns blazing knowing that he'd likely end up dead. I guess the guy was really fecking pissed with cops and life in general.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Incidentally we lost the colonies because we were in a multi-generational conflict with France. A country incidentally that is pretty much directly responsible for your existence as an independent country. Shame so many Americans treat them with disdain rather than as the incredible friends to America they have actually been over the years.
Aye, our oldest ally. You'd think the country's would be inextricably linked, yet we developed a special relationship with the U.K. which will probably be replaced by Germany going forward (and has already started to be).

But how did this turn into another 2nd Amendment thread? Is it about the 'sniper' rifle? Because if so, you're missing the point.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Aye, our oldest ally. You'd think the country's would be inextricably linked, yet we developed a special relationship with the U.K. which will probably be replaced by Germany going forward (and has already started to be).

But how did this turn into another 2nd Amendment thread? Is it about the 'sniper' rifle? Because if so, you're missing the point.
How did a thread about mass-murder with what will probably turn out to be legally held guns become a 2A argument?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Back in 2003 I was engaged to an American girl, and her dad took me to a shooting range where I had to fire a Groch (spelling) and a magnum 45, and about three other pistols in order to prove to him that I was capable of looking after the home I was potentially protecting in the future. Needless to say I never hit the target once LOL. It was fun to do target practice, but the thought of having firearms in the home, was freaking scary. Eventually I started to question whether it was right to own a gun, and the whole Iraq war etc, and it was like I spat in Reagan's face. Good times, but I'm happier in the UK.
So she was a redneck

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
How did a thread about mass-murder with what will probably turn out to be legally held guns become a 2A argument?
Since this could've been done with an ordinary hunting rifle and a pistol, then yes, I do question the validity of that argument. We've been hashing it out in other threads already where it's more relevant.

Xeno

No logic in this debate just people letting their hatred, blindness, and emotion over-rule their thought process.
True of almost every debate, unfortunately.

My personal favourite is people reading a few pages of Wikipadia around logical fallacies and then citing strawmen/ad hominem/non sequitur at every opportunity like they're a game theory PhD.

Carolina Red

Staff
The use of the robot to kill the shooter has raised some questions...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/science/dallas-bomb-robot.html

But the decision to deliver a bomb by robot stunned some current and former law enforcement officials, who said they believed the new tactic blurred the line between policing and warfare.

They said that it might have been an excessive use of force and that it set a precedent, adding that they were concerned that other departments across the country could begin using the same tactic.

“The further we remove the officer from the use of force and the consequences that come with it, the easier it becomes to use that tactic,” said Rick Nelson, a fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies and a former counterterrorism official on the National Security Council. “It’s what we have done with drones in warfare.”

“In warfare, your object is to kill,” he added. “Law enforcement has a different mission.”

Other law enforcement officials supported the decision, suggesting they could take a similar approach if the situation called for it. At a news conference on Friday, New York’s police commissioner, William J. Bratton, said that while he was waiting to find out precisely what the Dallas police did, “we have that capability.”

“This is an individual that killed five police officers,” he added. “So God bless ’em.”

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Are people really bothered by the robot bomb? The guy killed 5 cops and was likely to keep going till death. If cop lives were saved because of the robot, then fair fecks to them.

Carolina Red

Staff
Are people really bothered by the robot bomb? The guy killed 5 cops and was likely to keep going till death. If cop lives were saved because of the robot, then fair fecks to them.
Yep. People are bringing up "slippery slope" arguments asking when will they start using drones and stuff like that.

Swaters16

Yep. People are bringing up "slippery slope" arguments asking when will they start using drones and stuff like that.
It's a pretty simple answer: when it is the most effective way of solving the problem. Although the bomb robot was unconventional it worked. I really hope this isn't something that the media and people start to pick up on and criticize.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's a pretty simple answer: when it is the most effective way of solving the problem. Although the bomb robot was unconventional it worked. I really hope this isn't something that the media and people start to pick up on and criticize.
I've been looking around some to try and see if someone is going to make a big deal about it. It is a groundbreaking thing... I know a police force has never used a robot before and probably never a bomb either to take out a bad guy. I'd like to know what folks who are being critical of the decision would have done instead. Dallas PD had already lost 5 and had another 6 in the O.R. I definitely would rather have a robot in there than another KIA.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I did not know that.

Falling Down... I propose every living human being has a snapping/breaking point. Perhaps having the logical and rational ability to switch off is the true mystery, or mastery of human will.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So I'm guessing since the guy went to the army then he had a ar-15? Which is not the ideal rifle to use as a sniper gun.
Well he didn't get it from the service (unless he stole it) - those weapons are held by the service and each airman/marine/sailor/soldier returns to the armory afterwards (i.e. deployment, patrol, assignment, etc.). Only in deployed environments and certain jobs (like CID and OSI) does the individual retain the weapon at all time. Security police return the weapon after a shift ends. It's about accountability and a few other reasons obviously.

However, as we saw in the video with the ambushing of one PO, the tactics employed were consistent of CQB (or CQC), in which any type of small arms can be lethal. As for sniper act, it's labeled that for the positioning from an undetected level (usually elevated) with targets in a kill zone. With the kill zone being a relatively small distance, an AR-15 or M-4 or just about any type of short carbine/rifle can be highly effective, especially with a scope and knowledge of adjusting sights and whatnot and the targets likely not wearing body armor. It's not like this guy was firing at targets 500-1000 yards away. I'd wager they were within 100 yards at most, and probably within 50 yards. A true sniper act would have been sitting a many yards away with a much different rifle, like Lee Harvey Oswald.

Last edited: