g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Shooting at Dallas Protest - 5 police killed

InfiniteBoredom

If you "rules be damned" one part of the Bill of Rights, then you jeopardize the entire Bill of Rights.

The fact that the Constitition is hard to amend is to protect against the kind of thought that you just had.
Meanwhile 30,000 people die each year from guns, and both policing and race relations keep getting worse.

The form of government you have now is not the one the framers envisioned, for both better and worse. I think as a nation, you should move past this obsession with a document written in the 18th century and do what's logical.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Ours isn't designed to allow changes by a simple majority either... How quaint.

Whose government did we base our "right to keep and bear arms" on?

Should we strike down the 1st Amendment and ban Muslims because the people who attacked us on 9/11 claimed to be Muslims?
Always appreciate a good reductio ad absurdum. :lol:

Being able to change your constitution isn't the same as allowing it to be changed on a whim. Currently the barrier for changing yours however is so high that on most matters it's nigh on impossible, particularly since there is such a widespread attitude (like the one you've shown here) that the constitution is practically a sacred document. It isn't, it was a very smart document written by people living in a completely different age, and the idea that it will always suit its time has been shown to be incorrect on numerous occasions already.

The civil liberties and civil rights found in the Bill of Rights were not created by the Framers. They were recognized to naturally exist and were therefore protected by the Framers. As our government did not create them, it doesn't very well have the right to take them away, does it?
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but this is bullshit. No 'rights' naturally exist, they are all creations of human design. Go tell a rabbit it has the natural right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness before a hawk tears its face off for dinner.

Carolina Red

Staff
Meanwhile 30,000 people die each year from guns, and both policing and race relations keep getting worse.

The form of government you have now is not the one the framers envisioned, for both better and worse. I think as a nation, you should move past this obsession with a document written in the 18th century and do what's logical.
I could also argue that we have done that, that the only reason our nation isn't the one the Framers envisioned is because we haven't abided by the words of the Constitution, and that if we would get back to actually abiding by that old document the country would be a better place.

Carolina Red

Staff
Always appreciate a good reductio ad absurdum. :lol:
You're right, it is absurd to argue that a government remove natural rights from someone. That's how revolutions begin. You over in the UK should know something about that, yes?
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but this is bullshit. No 'rights' naturally exist, they are all creations of human design. Go tell a rabbit it has the natural right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness before a hawk tears its face off for dinner.
1) Humans are not rabbits

2) Thank your countryman, John Locke for the recognition of Natural Rights.

3) No offense taken by your rudeness, but it is why your lot lost its colonies.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You're right, it is absurd to argue that a government remove natural rights from someone. That's how revolutions begin. You over in the UK should know something about that, yes?
I wouldn't be too smug, given how long you lot continued slavery after we abolished it, and then continued to hold minorities in a subservient societal position for another century after that.

1) Humans are not rabbits

2) Thank your countryman, John Locke for the recognition of Natural Rights.

Humans are an animal like any other. Luckily we're an animal that was fortunate enough to be in a unique place on the evolutionary chain to build a world that suits our every need at the expense of all the other species. There was a time when even homo sapiens was just scrabbling around for survival, and the idea of 'natural rights' would have been as ridiculous then as it is to a rabbit today.

Incidentally we lost the colonies because we were in a multi-generational conflict with France. A country incidentally that is pretty much directly responsible for your existence as an independent country. Shame so many Americans treat them with disdain rather than as the incredible friends to America they have actually been over the years.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Is that the one that came into force in 1789 and been amended 27 times?
So as we see changes are quite possible. Also important to note that the interpretation and application of the constitution can change over time without the need to amend it.

The problems with the 2nd ammebdment should not be used to damn the entire document.

Carolina Red

Staff
I wouldn't be too smug, given how long you lot continued slavery after we abolished it, and then continued to hold minorities in a subservient societal position for another century after that.
No argument there. Slavery was an abomination. As I said before, my country has (and has had) its problems, and I have no reservation against acknowledging them.

Humans are an animal like any other. Luckily we're an animal that was fortunate enough to be in a unique place on the evolutionary chain to build a world that suits our every need at the expense of all the other species. There was a time when even homo sapiens was just scrabbling around for survival, and the idea of 'natural rights' would have been as ridiculous then as it is to a rabbit today.

Incidentally we lost the colonies because we were in a multi-generational conflict with France. A country incidentally that is pretty much directly responsible for your existence as an independent country. Shame so many Americans treat them with disdain rather than as the incredible friends to America they have actually been over the years.
I'm content with my belief that some rights are inalienable and that just governments are instituted by men to ensure their protection.

And that is unfortunate, but I'm not one of those people.

Carolina Red

Staff
So as we see changes are quite possible. Also important to note that the interpretation and application of the constitution can change over time without the need to amend it.

The problems with the 2nd ammebdment should not be used to damn the entire document.
Agreed.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
As a side note it was 1833 when the UK abolished slavery with changes in 1843 to apply to all territories correct?

So in reality it was only another 22 years until we abolished slavery in the U.S. though some parts of the U.S. did so before that.

Important to point out that slavery began well before the U.S. existed think any historian would find that Europe (including the UK) has a large responsibility in creating the institution of slavery in the colonies.

DenisIrwin

As a side note it was 1833 when the UK abolished slavery with changes in 1843 to apply to all territories correct?

So in reality it was only another 22 years until we abolished slavery in the U.S. though some parts of the U.S. did so before that.

Important to point out that slavery began well before the U.S. existed think any historian would find that Europe (including the UK) has a large responsibility in creating the institution of slavery in the colonies.
Indeed. Slavery is old. It's very hard to think of a successful empire throughout history that didn't do slavery. Bristol in the UK, where I live, was exporting slaves to the Viking settlement of Dublin up until shortly after the Norman invasion in 1066. It was outlawed here by William II but by the early 19th century had become an important link in the infamous triangular trade route of guns to west africa, slaves to the new world, and sugar and tobacco back to Bristol. There's a pub in the city called the Seven Stars with a strong connection to abolitionists like Clarkson. He put his life in serious jeopardy recording interviews with sailors who had worked on slave ships. Those interviews had a major influence on the abolition of slavery. I'm happy to say that Bristol is today a well integrated society with a diverse cultural background; a great place to live regardless of race, ethnicity or religion. The rejection of slavery no doubt played a big part in that.

Carolina Red

Staff
There's a pub in the city called the Seven Stars with a strong connection to abolitionists like Clarkson. He put his life in serious jeopardy recording interviews with sailors who had worked on slave ships.
I read a good bit about him when I was doing work on my masters. His research went on to help and influence Wilberforce in his arguments in Parliament.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We lost our colonies because of Kentonio's rudeness?!?!?
Thanks a bunch, Ken!

Carolina Red

Staff
Thanks a bunch, Ken!
The rudeness of calling natural rights "bullshit" and stating that natural rights don't exist seems to be something that is still hanging around across the pond.

baanke laal

banned
Thanks a bunch, Ken!
I have always found Kentanio a bit Rude and Cocky tbf.
There might be a legit. case for it, although I should thank Kentanio for being free, in case it's true. :D

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The rudeness of calling natural rights "bullshit" and stating that natural rights don't exist seems to be something that is still hanging around across the pond.
The rudeness of the "cuz I can" attitude to carrying guns costs tens of thousands of Americans their lives every year.

Removing the blatantly archaic 'right' to carry a deadly weapon would not only not have a detrimental impact on anyone, it would have a positive one.

Alas, deaths don't matter enough to force a change and people will cling to that so called right regardless.

Carolina Red

Staff
The rudeness of the "cuz I can" attitude to carrying guns costs tens of thousands of Americans their lives every year.
I would say it is the rudeness of the "cuz I can" attitude to murder somebody that leads to people being murdered, but that's just me.

Carolina Red

Staff
Wait, is the argument here that having a gun is a natural right? That's insane.
Once again...

The American Bill of Rights created 0 rights. It recognized rights that already existed and limited the restrictions that government could place on those already extant rights.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And of course you, and others like you, would seem to frequently forget that people can believe the 2nd Amendment is a legitimate protection of a natural right AND STILL support gun control.
I'd let people keep the kind of handguns that were available in 1791 and nothing more. That's only gun control that makes sense if you insist on sticking to the letter of documents from over two centuries ago.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'd let people keep the kind of handguns that were available in 1791 and nothing more. That's only gun control that makes sense if you insist on sticking to the letter of documents from over two centuries ago.
Should we only allow people to use the language that was spoken in America in 1791 or only adhere to religions that existed in America in 1791?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ah cool more reductio ad absurdum.

Laters, taters, enjoy your gun while people keep dying.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well, I have to ask Rado... why make a comment like the one you made if you don't want it turned back around on you?
Because the framers couldn't possibly have envisaged the kind of firearms that are available today and would never have intended for the state of things we see now.

To extend that to language and cruel/unusual punishment is just the standard gun lobby distraction tactics and I can't be arsed banging my head against a wall talking about it with you again, we've been down this road before and I'm not interested in doing it again. Hence my repeated attempts to end the discussion.

Carolina Red

Staff
Religion should be irrelevant by this point, Rado's point sadly is all too relevant.

Because it doesn't tell me why having a gun is a natural right?
1) Couldn't agree more. I'm not religious. But, people have the right to be.

2) Aristotle, Cicero, John Locke, Machiavelli, Blackstone, Beccaria, the Whig Party, etc. have all argued that having arms for self defense is a natural right. I'll defer to their wisdom as to "why".

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Honestly it's not worth discussing the 2nd amendment with some Americans.

They value their guns more than we will ever understand. It must be a cultural thing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
1) Couldn't agree more. I'm not religious. But, people have the right to be.

2) Aristotle, Cicero, John Locke, Machiavelli, Blackstone, Beccaria, the Whig Party, etc. have all argued that having arms for self defense is a natural right. I'll defer to their wisdom as to "why".
Yet you would choose to ignore the wisdom of all those great thinkers who believe that unfettered ownership of guns in modern society is a fecking mental idea.