Shooting at Dallas Protest - 5 police killed

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Well he didn't get it from the service (unless he stole it) - those weapons are held by the service and each airman/marine/sailor/soldier returns to the armory afterwards (i.e. deployment, patrol, assignment, etc.). Only in deployed environments and certain jobs (like CID and OSI) does the individual retain the weapon at all time. Security police return the weapon after a shift ends. It's about accountability and a few other reasons obviously.

However, as we saw in the video with the ambushing of one PO, the tactics employed were consistent of CQB (or CQC), in which any type of small arms can be lethal. As for sniper act, it's labeled that for the positioning from an undetected level (usually elevated) with targets in a kill zone. With the kill zone being a relatively small distance, an AR-15 or M-4 or just about any type of short carbine/rifle can be highly effective, especially with a scope and knowledge of adjusting sights and whatnot and the targets likely not wearing body armor. It's not like this guy was firing at targets 500-1000 yards away. I'd wager they were within 100 yards at most, and probably within 50 yards. A true sniper act would have been sitting a many yards away with a much different rifle, like Lee Harvey Oswald.
I was trying to say an ar-15 type of gun, when I was in service I took a galil home :nono: and went to a field with a friend and shot a few rounds :devil:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Won't comment too much on this, but wanted to say that I'm glad there's a fairly healthy discussion on the incident. I appreciate all the thoughts given out to the officers and their families.

We got briefed a little more on this today, albeit without too much extra info I could pass along.

All I hope is that this won't cause any retaliatory attacks by white people on black officers, or even just in general from any angry police towards anyone in the community.
Agreed.

Heartwarming to see acts of good will between police officers and civilians in my locality. Hope a national resolution regarding police-minority relations occurs.

It's illegal to buy a bazooka in the US. There's no reason not to raise the bar to other kinds of arms.

The point of the 2nd Amendment was to allow citizens to fight back against Governments should they become oppressive. The problem is that modern armies are so advanced now, it makes gun ownership totally pointless on that score. The Amendment should really be revoked.
Wrong. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep. People are bringing up "slippery slope" arguments asking when will they start using drones and stuff like that.
And so they should be. In most places the use of lethal force requires there to be imminent danger and in this case it sounds like that wasn't really the case.

Carolina Red

Staff
And so they should be. In most places the use of lethal force requires there to be imminent danger and in this case it sounds like that wasn't really the case.
The man had killed 5 police officers, wounded 6 more, and was telling negotiators he would kill more of them... I don't really see how much more imminent the danger could get.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Are people really bothered by the robot bomb? The guy killed 5 cops and was likely to keep going till death. If cop lives were saved because of the robot, then fair fecks to them.
If you believe in due process then yes. I understand why they did it but once you have that capability then the potential for its misuse exists.

adexkola

Supports
The Viet Cong did pretty well too.
Aye. It is very difficult to subdue an armed population. That's even assuming you can get all members of the military to fire upon citizens they swore to protect.

Despite the problems the 2nd amendment causes today, it's rooted in a good cause, and still retains some legitimacy.

Carolina Red

Staff
If you believe in due process then yes. I understand why they did it but once you have that capability then the potential for its misuse exists.
The potential for misuse of police power exists in all police forces. In this instance, however, the man was an active shooter who had already single handedly outfought the police force for most of the night. He really only left them with 2 choices... put more lives at risk to kill him, or put a robot at risk to kill him.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The man had killed 5 police officers, wounded 6 more, and was telling negotiators he would kill more of them... I don't really see how much more imminent the danger could get.
You don't kill people for saying they are going to do something, especially when it isn't likely they can actually do what they say they are going to do. So lethal force should have been saved for when he was actually directly endangering someone's life - at the actual time lethal force was used. As far as I can tell from accounts he wasn't at the time they blew him up. Using a remote robot is presumably done to prevent anyone being in imminent danger so I'm not sure that it is ever possible to be used legally. As for the "he had kille 5 police officers" bit, the court system deals with past acts. The police shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner.

Carolina Red

Staff
2 choices eh? mmkay...
At least it will save on the costs of siege negotiators if that is no longer an option.
Go ahead. What were the other options available?
"When all attempts to negotiate with the suspect, Micah Johnson, failed under the exchange of gunfire, the Department utilized the mechanical tactical robot, as a last resort, to deliver an explosion device to save the lives of officers and citizens," the statement said.

"We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot," said Dallas Police Chief David Brown Friday morning. "Other options would have exposed the officers to grave danger."

Johnson had "plenty of options to give himself up peacefully," said Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings Friday afternoon. "He had a choice to come out and we would not harm him, or stay in and we would. He picked the latter."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/dallas-pd-robot-kill-suspect-negotiations-failed/story?id=40463758

Skizzo

Agreed.

Heartwarming to see acts of good will between police officers and civilians in my locality. Hope a national resolution regarding police-minority relations occurs.
Most definitely. Hopefully the majority can pull together on these issues and we can weed out the problems on both sides.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Gee, I guess sending in a SWAT team would have been completely out of the question and impossible, despite it being what they've done in basically every equivalent case previously.

This isn't the first use of a bomb by police though btw. They've used them a couple of times going back to '85, and its caused controversy every time. Not helped by the 1985 Philadelphia case having killed 5 children in the process.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/13/osage-avenue-bombing-philadelphia-30-years

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Gee, I guess sending in a SWAT team would have been completely out of the question and impossible, despite it being what they've done in basically every equivalent case previously.

This isn't the first use of a bomb by police though btw. They've used them a couple of times going back to '85, and its caused controversy every time. Not helped by the 1985 Philadelphia case having killed 5 children in the process.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/13/osage-avenue-bombing-philadelphia-30-years

Indeed, and have you seen all the toys that SWAT teams have in their lockers? I guess we can do away with all that now and just blow up people who are mean and don't do what they're told.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wait out a man saying he was about to detonate bombs throughout the building? You first.
He didn't have bombs. And if he did isn't setting an explosive off not very likley to set them off? So presumably nobody was close enough to be injured by any possible bomb?

The bottom line is they wanted to end it and didn't care how. Or rather did care and wanted him dead.

mu77

? , no problem with it at all if it saves lives by the cops not having to storm a building and potentially shooting innocents. What's the difference in how they ended it? Due process I mean, shooting him or blowing him up? My friend lost her brother in law. By all accounts he was a good man.

Will Absolute

You don't kill people for saying they are going to do something, especially when it isn't likely they can actually do what they say they are going to do. So lethal force should have been saved for when he was actually directly endangering someone's life - at the actual time lethal force was used. As far as I can tell from accounts he wasn't at the time they blew him up. Using a remote robot is presumably done to prevent anyone being in imminent danger so I'm not sure that it is ever possible to be used legally. As for the "he had kille 5 police officers" bit, the court system deals with past acts. The police shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner.
He was an armed lunatic who'd already killed 5 of their comrades. You expected them to send him flowers?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No. But given that the situation was contained and there was no imminent threat I don't see where the legal justification for the use of lethal force was. Law enforcement following the law is importnt especially when these events are rooted in the way law enforcement act.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Well, this oughta solve everything!

My aunt and others attended a "prayer meeting for police offers" at a local PD in Texas.

First off, shouldn't god have listened for all the prayers that have been requested by friends and family for years? I mean surely god isn't gonna suddenly realize he forgot.

Secondly, is it legal to hold a "prayer meeting" at a government building with government employees on government time and funds?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's possible. But what for?

The man is killing slaughtering human beings. Why should they bother risking another lives?

And in other circumstances a criminal of this level of atrocity will be shot on spot anyway regardless of ethnic/race/etc

If it's a minor convenient store robbery with hostage and no casualty then sending a bomb would be out of the line but in this case it's an appropriate response

Javi

So the criminal indiciated that there are explosives inside the builduing and this robot went inside and bombed the place; what would have happened if he actually had something like a bomb on him? So given that one must conclude that the police was more or less sure that they weren't about to burst the whole builduing which then triggers the question why they didn't gas him out - does the US law have something like proportionality?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They either didn't think he had a bomb or didn't care as nobody was close enough to be hurt by any resulting explosing. So no imminent threat and therefore no legal justification to kill him. Laws are there for a reason. You don't ignore the law for murderous scumbags as the law protects us all. Break the law often enough and it becomes routine and then we all lose our rights.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He was an armed lunatic who'd already killed 5 of their comrades. You expected them to send him flowers?
You're a smart bloke, so why would you post such a thing? Do you honestly believe that Wibble wanted the police to send flowers? I'm sure that you understand perfectly the other arguments put forward here yet you choose to post a trollish comment like that.

I'd expect better.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So the criminal indiciated that there are explosives inside the builduing and this robot went inside and bombed the place; what would have happened if he actually had something like a bomb on him? So given that one must conclude that the police was more or less sure that they weren't about to burst the whole builduing which then triggers the question why they didn't gas him out - does the US law have something like proportionality?
They either didn't think he had a bomb or didn't care as nobody was close enough to be hurt by any resulting explosing. So no imminent threat and therefore no legal justification to kill him. Laws are there for a reason. You don't ignore the law for murderous scumbags as the law protects us all. Break the law often enough and it becomes routine and then we all lose our rights.
EOD robots typically carry small bombs to do controlled explosions on suspicious devices or bombs to disable it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
According to reports they strapped an explosive device to the robot. Maybe the small devices usually used to detonate bombs weren't big enough for this purpose. In any case there was obviously no concern that people outside were in imminent danger and this method was used for that very reason. So no legal justification for the use of lethal force.

Javi

EOD robots typically carry small bombs to do controlled explosions on suspicious devices or bombs to disable it.
Yes, but the picture by ABC News was more like the guy had explosives inside and was ready to use them if they threatend him in any way. If police really believed that to be the situation then they surely must have assumed that he's very likely to make use of said bomb which allows to conclude that they either didn't care or didn't think there was that big a risk.

Either way one must ask if this was a.) action suited to get rid of the problem, b.) if there wasn't equally effective but more lenient action (f.e. gas; shoot him non life-threatening) and c.) if it was appropraite action weighing in the different aspect such as the life of the victim (in this action), public interests (public security threat), third party interests (such as the life of the police force).

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
No. But given that the situation was contained and there was no imminent threat I don't see where the legal justification for the use of lethal force was. Law enforcement following the law is importnt especially when these events are rooted in the way law enforcement act.
The police had been in contact with him, he was refusing to surrender, he had engaged in a gun battle with them, showing no signs of being willing to give up, nor does it seem were they able to shoot him to end the situation. So it doesn't seem like the police sent the robot in with the bomb for no reason at all.

adexkola

Supports
I think the absence of a "Rules of Engagement" for police is a problem. I understand why the Dallas Police resorted to a bomb robot, they must have been desperate and they had excess bombs in storage. Shoot, I would have done the same thing. But that vacuum needs to be closed with explicit rules guiding when a bomb can be used to neutralize a threat.

Javi

I think the absence of a "Rules of Engagement" for police is a problem. I understand why the Dallas Police resorted to a bomb robot, they must have been desperate and they had excess bombs in storage. Shoot, I would have done the same thing. But that vacuum needs to be closed with explicit rules guiding when a bomb can be used to neutralize a threat.
Surely such rules already exist? @Skizzo

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This obviously isn't a funny situation we're discussing but feck if I didn't just burst out laughing at that!

Carolina Red

Staff
2 bailiffs have been killed in a courthouse shooting in Michigan today. Guy on his way to jail broke free, somehow acquired a gun, and started shooting.