Short-term LB signing?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Personally I'd be inclined to let Fernandez get a chance too, at least as a back-up.

But in hand with that, you have to accept that he might not be good enough and might cost us results if/when he has to play. Which you would the have to suck up, as that's the risk with trusting kids. There's no point calling for Fernandez to play now if you're going to bitch about him and/or ETH if it doesn't work out.

And based on some of the histrionic responses on here after one loss, I'm guessing a fair few posters wouldn't be of that sanguine disposition.

It all depends on exactly how long Shaw & Malacia are out for too.
I can't imagine the options we'd get in on a short term basis would be any less susceptible to costing us points.

The only thing with Fernandez will be as you say, the time the pair are our for. If it's a couple of weeks and he just goes straight back to 3rd choice, should we just be looking to get him more game time?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But surely Malacias fit by then? There's an international break coming, it's literally the case of navigating a few fixtures.
I tried looking up when Malacia is supposed to be fit but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Mainoldo

Jesus Christ. Play Dalot there and just get some f’ing Midfielders.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don't get this. The manager always makes a big deal of emphasizing how it's a squad game and how strong our squad is. Yet the moment we suffer a long term injury we dip into the emergency loan market and get a sub par player. Happened with Eriksen/Sabitzer and Wehgorst and now looks to be happening again.

Why not trust Dalot/Fernandez/Martinez to cover the position for a couple of months ( if Shaw is indeed out for that long)?
Where do you get ETH saying the squad is good? I only ever recall him saying that we need to work on building the squad and improving the quality of it

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We can survive a little while with Dalot and Alvaro Fernandez, I'm sure. Like others have said I'd much rather pool this energy into signing a central midfielder.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Personally I’d give Fernandez a chance, he’s not great defensively but neither is Dalot imho. But he offers more going forward

M16Red

Where do you get ETH saying the squad is good? I only ever recall him saying that we need to work on building the squad and improving the quality of it
"We are always looking for opportunities [although] I think we have a good squad, with this squad we are convinced we can go for our targets."

dalriada

I tried looking up when Malacia is supposed to be fit but I couldn't find a clear answer.
There's been very little mention. The last update I saw was 11th August when it referred to an injury sustained last season (didn't say what), apparently he played 15 minutes for the Netherlands in June and that's it.
If we are looking for a short-term signing, that's crazy, unless there's someone around who's available and clearly an upgrade on what we have, and I can't see that. At least Fernández is already training with the first team and is used to the rest of the squad. Ideally, Brandon Williams would have been available (much as some people will decry that, he did a good job when Shaw was out injured before), but I can see why he was loaned out if he was going to have another season without regular games.
Dalot can do a job at left back, so long as Shaw isn't out too long, or we'll burn out both him and AWB.

Rojofiam

I'd rather we play

Dalot
Fernandez
Martinez

In that order, we've still got cover at Cb if Martinez had to play.
Agree with you, I don't think a new LB is necessary unless it's a loan.

Anyone knows when is Malacia expected to return?

cj_sparky

We can get by with the options we have at left back.

Fernandez should get a chance and Dalot can cover there too. Lindelof can cover at right back in a pinch.

We need options in other areas to help the squad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We have other urgent areas to sort out first. We can get by with Dalot, Fernandez and maybe Martinez.

DevTheRed

Yeah slight over reaction in my opinion, we have a few players who can cover there short term in Dalot, Martinez and Fernandez. Use the money elsewhere.

Crimson King

Not ideal but I'd rather we bought in another CM and attacker, otherwise we'll have 3 LBs when they're all fit.

daba

The only reason this would make any sense is if Fernandez is basically a done deal to leave.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
i think we can just about manage with Dalot or Fernandez covering for him, hopefully Malacia is not far off too. Not ideal but we dont want to go out and waste time with another Telles type signing.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Im hearing Cancelo on loan.
Admittedly I'm hearing that in my own head..

What avout Castagne from Leicester?
Get Anderson out of retirement?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Fernandez had a really good loan spell at PNE but whether he's ready for the premier league is another matter. Cucurella on loan would be worth a try. Chelsea have a ton of players and need to shift some.

L1nk

Absolutely no reason not to give Fernandez a go here but we'll sign some bang average LB that has had ties to the Dutch league instead.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Umm just in his previous press conference he said that the squad is complete since we have 2 players for every position. And that while we will strike in the market if there is an opportunity but he was happy with the squad strength.

Brophs

The One and Only
This doesn’t feel like a massive problem. Not one worth signing some journeyman for a month anyway. Give Fernandez a chance. Or play Dalot there. Or play Lindelof at CB and Martinez LB. Or Maguire etc.

Infra-red

Spinazzola is in the last year of his deal at Roma...

In reality, we don't have the money for a new LB. If we're making a defensive signing, we'd probably be better off getting Maguire out the door and buying a left-footed CB (with the new CB or Martinez filling in at LB in the short term). Hincapié is reportedly available from Leverkusen - Liverpool are said to be interested...