Should English football be suspended?

dal

There’s probably a lot of over 60s involved in football if someone dies then I don’t think there’s a choice.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is the most unfair English football season for some clubs.
A fine example was given last night when Villa HAD to play their game although decimated by Covid whilst other games had been postponed.
Maybe 'cause it was Liverpool ?

Because I was in a thread on the caf talking about English football, mate.

Nobody should feel guilty because of their wealth. I'm talking about the privilege these players have been given to carry on doing their jobs during a national lockdown - and the amount of selfish behavior we've seen from players, and clubs - refusing to dole out any sort of punishment for breaking laws.
I agree. The lack of consequences are astonishing, and the authorities just won’t deal with it. It gives the impression, that the are above the law and can do whatever they like.

this then permeates to people outside of football. There was a poster on here who thought the Lamala Xmas parts was fine. “Technically a bit silly”‘I think he described it as.

if those players were given a 5 match ban, and fined 2 weeks wages, perhaps that poster would think again.

every time a PL player flouts the Covid restrictions, and doesn’t get punished - it normalises the behaviour.

there’s a large % of people now who just don’t give a shit about the regulations, and these footballers are not helping in the slightest.

A fine example was given last night when Villa HAD to play their game although decimated by Covid whilst other games had been postponed.
consistency is an issue. I suppose the difference is that the postponed games are in the league, and this was the cup.

you have 5 months to catch up on a league game, whereas you aren’t afforded that time in the cup, due to the need to play subsequent rounds. In this case I probably agree with the protocol. Rearranging cup games would be very difficult.

what does need to be made clear is at what stage can a club call off a game. How many players did city actually have out with Covid? 3?

wolvored

Vaccinate the players. Football is good for the morale of the country.
Yes. Someone said on the wireless tht the cost of keep getting checked 3-4 times a week would be better going into the NHS as it vastly outweighs the cost of the vaccine. All the clubs could be forced to pay for this and obviously it would work out cheaper for them in the long run.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
hard to say. We all love watching the game, and it does play a role in helping us through this shit. That being said, footballers who break covid rules should be instantly fired and banned from playing the game ever again in a professional capacity. Some of think their wealth and fame make them untouchable. Time for some them to get proper felt up.

Norman Brownbutter

Yes. Someone said on the wireless tht the cost of keep getting checked 3-4 times a week would be better going into the NHS as it vastly outweighs the cost of the vaccine. All the clubs could be forced to pay for this and obviously it would work out cheaper for them in the long run.
Will it actually go to the nhs this time? Or just another brexit lie?

Sigma

What the fecks Brexit got to do with anything. We're out get over it.
I'm not sure why the other poster brought up Brexit and tot to derail the thread, but that isn't how democracy works. Imagine if the Americans said: 'slavery is legal get over it'.

Just looking at the fixture list for the FA Cup, and clearly there’s are a lot of inter league matches.

these matches must be higher risk than any league games?

perhaps the FACup should have been suspended?

furthermore, European competition should be sacrificed ahead of domestic competition.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I doubt the cases will be much lower, in 2 weeks. The virus is out of control, highly contagious and a lot of people are flouting the rules.
In 2 weeks, I think the virus cases will be similar to what they are now. Only time will tell, though.
Lockdown will take some effect. My point is just a firebreak for the League would make more sense during a lockdown than not.

The death rate in the UK is horrific. 6x that of the USA where trump fecked it up, think about that.

Yeah we all want to watch a game, but it's wrong at this point. football doesn't matter in the context of what's happening in the UK.

The death rate in the UK is horrific. 6x that of the USA where trump fecked it up, think about that.

Yeah we all want to watch a game, but it's wrong at this point. football doesn't matter in the context of what's happening in the UK.
i would have agreed with you during the first lockdown. But project restart showed sport can be played, and played safely.

Norman Brownbutter

What the fecks Brexit got to do with anything. We're out get over it.
I'm not sure why the other poster brought up Brexit and tot to derail the thread, but that isn't how democracy works. Imagine if the Americans said: 'slavery is legal get over it'.
Because the nhs was used to get the public on board with brexit in the same way. Get brexit done, we can give the nhs 350 mill a week. And we are with the same thing, give our millionaires the vaccine instead of people who desperate need it and we’ll give the nhs an undisclosed sum of money.
maybe try not being so sensitive abiut the word brexit and look at the whole post.

MU655

Because the nhs was used to get the public on board with brexit in the same way. Get brexit done, we can give the nhs 350 mill a week. And we are with the same thing, give our millionaires the vaccine instead of people who desperate need it and we’ll give the nhs an undisclosed sum of money.
maybe try not being so sensitive abiut the word brexit and look at the whole post.
I think people are just bored of hearing about Brexit and Trump, to be honest. They pop up everywhere in comment sections/forums that have absolutely nothing to do with it. It could be about my little pony and one of those will still come up. (not that I would know, of course)

Back on topic. I think it should continue, but allowing fans into the stadium was always a stupid idea; that should never have been allowed. They weren't even socially distancing in some grounds (Anfield). Players should get fined, and potentially banned for the season for breaking Covid rules. Absolutely no reason to go to parties etc.

LARulz

Don't the UBS themselves pay for the tests? That should be the rule if it's not

C'est Moi Cantona

It's never been about the cost though, it's the supply and distribtion that is the issue, footballers should just take their turn like the rest of us have to, it would look terrible if they start jumping the queue whilst more needy people are left waiting.

As for the call for the shutdown I just don't get it, they have testing most people could only dream of having, are under the same restrictions as the rest of us, it should be simple given the numbers involved, and like the average bod that has to go work during these times, doing your job is not without risk.

Moz

The death rate is horribly distorted by the way the authorities classify covid deaths. A positive test within 28 days is all that is needed for a death to be categorised as a covid death.

Moz

In response to the OP's questions, no - English football should not be suspended. Furthermore, lockdown should be lifted as it is a blunt instrument and represents a supposed cure that is far worse than the disease.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It should be after our next PL game and whoever is on top should be given the trophy. It's fine, give every club a rest.

uwotm8

My sensible plan was cancel FA cup and have a 2 week 'circuit breaker'.

But I feel that there will be more and more outbreaks causing a forced suspension rather than a planned strat.

The death rate is horribly distorted by the way the authorities classify covid deaths. A positive test within 28 days is all that is needed for a death to be categorised as a covid death.
feck off. 1 in 50 in the UK have covid now. 1 in 30 in London.

Worst rates in the world.

Wake up.

Covid is significantly worse now than last March. The amount of games cancelled in the next month will derail the season anyway so it's a moot point really.
im not comparing the two situations per se. But back in March we had far less information and knowledge than we do now.

as much as it sounds repugnant, there is a pay off between restrictions and our way of life and the economy.

if games can go ahead whether there are no Covid issues, then they should.

in March I was very much of the opinion, that everything needs to be shit down / but football has shown itself to be pretty safe, and the benefits to the supporters are in fact significant in the absence of most other social activities.

Judas

Open to offers
In response to the OP's questions, no - English football should not be suspended. Furthermore, lockdown should be lifted as it is a blunt instrument and represents a supposed cure that is far worse than the disease.
Bloody hell it's amazing how many people like you are among us. Scary.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
consistency is an issue. I suppose the difference is that the postponed games are in the league, and this was the cup.

you have 5 months to catch up on a league game, whereas you aren’t afforded that time in the cup, due to the need to play subsequent rounds. In this case I probably agree with the protocol. Rearranging cup games would be very difficult.

what does need to be made clear is at what stage can a club call off a game. How many players did city actually have out with Covid? 3?
BIB: is there still people that seriously believe last season was restarted to give Liverpool the league? Genuine question.

To answer the question put on these quotes the scheduling of a normal season doesn't allow most teams to take take the cup that seriously (unless they stumble into the latter stages) let alone this one. Villa probably decided to play this game because if I had to guess they like many others are/were secretly hoping they go out.

For those asking for it, what purpose would it serve?

Would it could less cases in the UK?
Less deaths?

Aside from ”solidarity”, which is far outweighed by the desperate need for entertainment during these times, I can’t see a single reason why it should stop. Anyone?

caid

Continue playing games that are safe to play. Dont take the season too seriously.
I'd say cancel the fa cup but its too important to lower league teams. It'll be pretty difficult to keep going though and delaying it for a month or more might be the best course of action at this point.
Something has to give really. You cant fit champions league, international tournaments and a full season into the next 6 months. I'd make future league games cancelled because a team cant field 11 players an automatic 3-0 loss. It's harsh obviously but adding games to the existing backlog just isn't going to work.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For those asking for it, what purpose would it serve?

Would it could less cases in the UK?
Less deaths?

Aside from ”solidarity”, which is far outweighed by the desperate need for entertainment during these times, I can’t see a single reason why it should stop. Anyone?
Because there's a one in a billion chance there will be an unprecedented chain reaction that culminates in infecting Doris from Dorset.

BIB: is there still people that seriously believe last season was restarted to give Liverpool the league? Genuine question.

To answer the question put on these quotes the scheduling of a normal season doesn't allow most teams to take take the cup that seriously (unless they stumble into the latter stages) let alone this one. Villa probably decided to play this game because if I had to guess they like many others are/were secretly hoping they go out.
not sure why you quoted me here. Do you think by reading my posts, that I think the league was restarted to give Liverpool the league?

You are saying that villa had a choice to play the game?

Because there's a one in a billion chance there will be an unprecedented chain reaction that culminates in infecting Doris from Dorset.
ha ha. I just can’t wrap my head around the calls for it, it would serve absolutely zero purpose in case numbers, hospital numbers and deaths.
Just hysterical calls with no substance behind them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unless there's new evidence on this that I haven't seen then I think you've got the wrong end of the stick slightly here.

As I understand it there is no evidence that the vaccine does stop transmission of the disease through the vaccinated person, but there's also no evidence that it doesn't.

And if you think about an asymptomatic carrier they won't be coughing, sweating and spluttering in the same way as somebody with symptoms might. Given it's thought to be a largely airborne illness then you'd have to think it would at least reduce the risk of transmission to some degree. And furthermore, I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has found clear evidence of a case of asymptomatic transmission of Covid at all, anywhere in the world, even in non-vaccinated folks. If that is correct then you'd have to assume it's odds on that the vaccine will reduce or even completely stop transmission.
I hope your take is right.
The only thing we certainly know is jamming this vaccine into as many people as possible as quick as possible is the only certain way to get baxl to normal.

Not quite sure how all the 94% etc efficacy business works in reality but clearly getting everyone to that is a huge result.

Paper today had the vaccine "tsar" talking about moving around the uk freely happening by summer. I think we"d all settle for that.

cyberman

I think it was one of the reasons, yes. The legal ramifications would have been historic if it were cancelled.
If they could have stopped it and given Pool the title and everybody ends were they stood, they would have. Its why they they set in stone that it can be stopped after 19 games this season.
That new caveat gives it away. Its not for the integrity if the league or any such nonsense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What is the actual PL bubble - who buys the players food?

Stupid question but with so much money at stake id expect clubs to be completely isolated with minimum contact outside of a few people running errands.

I mention this as saint maximin a player who suffered bad symptoms has been in the news having a selfie in a supermarket.
I want to know how the fan recognised him with a hoodie on and a mask covering 60% of his face!

Classical Mechanic

I think it was one of the reasons, yes. The legal ramifications would have been historic if it were cancelled.
If they could have stopped it and given Pool the title and everybody ends were they stood, they would have. Its why they they set in stone that it can be stopped after 19 games this season.
That new caveat gives it away. Its not for the integrity if the league or any such nonsense.
Hmmm, top of the league in 3 games time and we could 21!

Judas

Open to offers
Very very suspicious.