Should Maguire be subbed on in the last minute if we're winning so he can lift the trophy?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has become more humble. So I wouldn't mind him staying. But yeah it was weird to look at. Him being made a captain before Ten Hag came wasn't his fault though.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm delighted for every player at Man Utd and that includes Maguire and folk like Weghorst. Just be happy for everyone folk and that includes yourself too. Weghorst had won absolutely nothing in his career until now and if I can't be happy for guy's like then I'm just a miserable get. p.s I am putting Ajax on my Xmas Card List.
It's great for everyone, but a nice parting memory for Maguire and agree it's cool for Weggy too- crazy season for him, ending up at Wembley lifting a trophy.

wolvored

Its obvious hes not in TH plans long term, but TH got all his subs on so they could all have a taste of being on the pitch when the cup is won. Now imagine if he hadnt have picked Maguire as one of the subs. The press would have had a field day and it would have distracted from our win, with headlines as much about Maguire as the cup win itself.
Im sure Maguire is already making plans behind the scenes to be at another Premier club next season. Someone will pay his wages, or as near as dammit.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I think he was always down to earth enough to lift the trophy with the current (starting 11) captain Fernandes.

Revaulx

I’m more inclined to judge people on their current behaviour than their past.

Harry has conducted himself with considerable dignity recently, as far as I can tell. Even though there may have been an element of tokenism in bringing him on just before the end, I really don’t get why a few people are getting cross about it.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

Harry has conducted himself with considerable dignity recently, as far as I can tell. Even though there may have been an element of tokenism in bringing him on just before the end, I really don’t get why a few people are getting cross about it.

And it is for this reason alone I hope he gets a transfer to a club of his liking. Definitely showed his professionalism this season

Tap

No problems with Maguire getting minutes late on and lifting the trophy. He still contributes, although in a diminished role. Reminds me of Mourinho giving Rooney minutes late in the 2017 EL final.

Nice to see this in both finals.

Lyng

Think it shows how classy ETH is that he brought him on (cos he didn't have to obviously) . How great the team/Bruno is that they pushed him to the front to get the trophy, and how great Maguire is that he insisted Bruno lift it with him.

There is absolutely nothing to criticise here and just everything to love about our players.
Spot on. As with every other potential issue since ETH came about its been handled perfectly and in a way that makes you love the team even more.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Think it shows how classy ETH is that he brought him on (cos he didn't have to obviously) . How great the team/Bruno is that they pushed him to the front to get the trophy, and how great Maguire is that he insisted Bruno lift it with him.

There is absolutely nothing to criticise here and just everything to love about our players.
true. I laughed at the idea of introducing Maguire just for the sake of celebrytkom. Nut he was brought on for footballing reasons. Him and Bruno lifting the Cup was just epic

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No problems with Maguire getting minutes late on and lifting the trophy. He still contributes, although in a diminished role. Reminds me of Mourinho giving Rooney minutes late in the 2017 EL final.

Nice to see this in both finals.
It shows an element of class from the manager, its a nice touch.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I'm now pretthy sure what he told Southgate. "This is how you win trophies even with Harry Maguire, HEH?

Maticmaker

Maguire is the club captain and he rightly lifted the trophy with team captain Bruno, he then stood back and let Bruno carry it back on to the pitch.
In any event Martinez (or maybe Casemiro) should be captain now.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What part of what I said was wrong? I can't praise shit performances. 'Good one Harry, for giving that penalty.'. Is that what we, as United fans, are supposed to do? I never said anything about him lifting the trophy or him being undeserving of lifting it. The whole argument was about how Maguire has gotten slack for his PAST performances
No, me and buzz said that we should be happy for him on a day when we win a trophy yet you for some reason decided to strawman the crap out of it by asking why we should praise him for being shit. You do realize that being happy for him for winning a trophy is not the same as being happy over his bad performances in the past, right?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Should thread be closed? Should we celebrate all our cup winning squad including Harry Maguire in spite of trolls and nay sayers?

poleglass red

In fairness to ETH he has brought on Maguire on other games late on to defend high balls into the box.

Doodah

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...-captain-harry-maguire-eager-for-more-minutes

Title is a bit misleading. If you read the quotes it seems Maguire is fully behind the team and the decisions that EtH has made about his position.

Sounds like he is professional behind the scenes and not causing a fuss or a strop. I can't blame him for wanting minutes but, he is willing to wait and play his role when needed.
He also says "The manager speaks to me daily and he really respects me and believes that I am a top centre-half with all the attributes to play in his team".

That's some weapons-grade delusion right there.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

Say whatever you like about Maguire but Bruno’s complete lack of composure in the big games is completely unbecoming of a club captain.