g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Should Mourinho bring in a new 'attacking coach'

Moonwalker

He prioritises defence over attack. We knew this. If you're unhappy with that fact, you should want another manager, not some magical coaching staff fix that will make him the synthesis of everything you ever dreamed of.

The most decorated manager in the game, will not just wake up one morning thinking "Maybe I should really figure out that attacking bit today, I've been putting it off for too long."

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not new coach but new players and he will do come summer. Hopefully bye bye Rooney, Lingard neither have many league goals in the last couple of seasons.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The awkward looks when three new strikers come in (e.g. Griezmann) and they all start missing chances and looking clueless.

The idea that Mourinho has no role in how wank our attack is flies in the face of everything a good manager in the past has been known for. Good managers get the best out of out poor players, mediocre players and pushes good players on to look great.

Mourinho gets away with murder on this issue. fecking train them properly.
Too true, you can see this effect in teams that changes managers mid-season (it doesn't work all the time of course but it is enough to know that a manager can improve his players instantly) and they immediately look more dangerous, score more goals and play better.
The manager's impact is seriously underrated, it cannot be all "the players are shit", I mean some poorer teams score more than us, look more threatening than us and they have clearly worse players.
What he did in the past doesnt matter (in terms of having teams that scored regularly), he's being judged on his Man Utd impact and so far it is not satisfying. Will new players change that, you would think and hope so. However he is very disappointing in terms of positively impact the players he currently has.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People mention Griezmann but he has been coached by Simeone to play the way he does, he didn't just miraculously saw the light. If Mourinho doesn't coach the attacking players, if he doesn't make a genuine or effective effort to make that group click, we can buy all the players on earth and they will look like a bunch of strangers. And we will rely on individual moments of brilliance like we currently do.

TheReligion

Abusive
Too true, you can see this effect in teams that changes managers mid-season (it doesn't work all the time of course but it is enough to know that a manager can improve his players instantly) and they immediately look more dangerous, score more goals and play better.
The manager's impact is seriously underrated, it cannot be all "the players are shit", I mean some poorer teams score more than us, look more threatening than us and they have clearly worse players.
What he did in the past doesnt matter (in terms of having teams that scored regularly), he's being judged on his Man Utd impact and so far it is not satisfying. Will new players change that, you would think and hope so. However he is very disappointing in terms of positively impact the players he currently has.
Isn't he the first ever United manager to win a trophy in his first season?

Terrible impact though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I have doubts that it's more than just a headline. When Ronaldo suddenly started scoring a lot more goals it came after a summer of him practicing shooting, from different angles and distances. Players like Beckham became great at freekicks because they stuck around after normal training to work on it. Just as Cantona had done before him.

So, I'll agree that coaching and team practice counts. Particularly when it comes to things like moving for each other, rather than against. Repetition is needed on things like passing strength, so that players are realistic about how fast the others are, and where they will be.

But I don't believe anyone has a special formula for breaking down packed defences. A lot of it's about confidence in themselves and each other. It's a lot easier to keep making runs into space, if you know the ball might actually arrive. It's also a lot easier to make that pass if you know the forwards are ready to chase it.

I think team continuity, from training and playing together matters as much as the individuals, and I don't think attacking coaches are the magic bullet in achieving that cohesion.

Pearson

He should.

That might inject some fresh blood into this squad. Nonetheless, it will not change everything overnight as long as he stays as our manager. As long as he has final say, that the quality of attacking will leap up to another level right away sounds like a wishful thinking.

The thing is, football is a team game. If we take it as a machine consisting of many different components, they are all intertwined in one way or another. Once he wants to make some change in attacking, I am afraid our defending will be affected unless he is determined to modify his philosophy so he could accommodate defending and attacking in a fundamentally different way which means he has to redefine his defending and which I do not think will happen to a coach who has been so obsessed with "defending first" and who is not young any more.

Reactions: jojojo

DellaNe

Supports
Chelsea
I am not a tactics expert, but what is the point of bringing an attacking coach, when the tactics used will make it less effective. A lot of the quality of attack relies on movement. Players don't really try to get behind the defense a lot in Jose's system. They are supposed to use individual skill to beat players one-on-one. If the Wingers are instructed primarily to be in a position where they are capable to track back immediately when possession is lost, instead of trying to make the runs to get behind defense, it gives you a more static attack. They generally stand around outside the opposition backline waiting for the ball. An attacking coach will simply contradict this philosophy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Feck sake, I've invested my heart and soul into this battle and still have gotten no recognition. I survived the threads of a few weeks ago, faced them head on and lived to tell the tale.

Times are rough
God Bless you

Camilo

Just push the effin full backs up. We have 4 narrow attackers against 7 or 8 defenders in a lot of games - we're not going to score. It doesn't matter who's in the team or who's been coaching them, we have to commit players forward, and we don't.

I actually thought in terms of attacking threat, when Shaw came on a couple(?) of games ago it transformed things. It's super basic, but we have zero width, and our wide(r) attackers tuck in and dribble in. It's easy to defend against.

Fracture90

Not new coach but new players and he will do come summer. Hopefully bye bye Rooney, Lingard neither have many league goals in the last couple of seasons.
We can't always resort to bringing in new players when facing a problem. Top managers should be able to get the best out of their players and try to create a system that's suites the most with the players they have in their disposal, rather then shoehorning players into a system that cannot get the best out of them. I believe Conte is the best example for that.

Also Rooney is barely ever playing so he can't be the one to blame, whilst Lingard just signed a new contract, no way he'll be leaving any time soon.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Isn't he the first ever United manager to win a trophy in his first season?

Terrible impact though.
It's admirable how staunch you are in defending the manager.

But you have to be a little underwhelmed with the season so far. Surely you thought in the summer after all that cash spent you expected a little better?

TheReligion

Abusive
It's admirable how staunch you are in defending the manager.

But you have to be a little underwhelmed with the season so far. Surely you thought in the summer after all that cash spent you expected a little better?
A little better? Of course but to be honest I think our fan base behaves like spoilt brats at times. I'm sick to death of it.

Womp

idiot
A little better? Of course but to be honest I think our fan base behaves like spoilt brats at times. I'm sick to death of it.
Aye, Jose could cure world hunger and some of the lot in here would still suck the happiness out of the place. All those years of success has given them the assumption that we're entitled to instant success.

Then they harp on about *insert manager at other club here* who has had years to imprint his ideals on his squad, and compare him to Jose who hasn't even had a single yet, knowing full well had they been managing us, they would be saying the same rubbish about him had he not performed instantly. Fun times

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What about a midfield coach? And a finishing coach? We also need a technical coach imho and perhaps a new fitness coach to go along with a yoga coach. If we can get all of them nothing can stop us being the best again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Aye, Jose could cure world hunger and some of the lot in here would still suck the happiness out of the place. All those years of success has given them the assumption that we're entitled to instant success.

Then they harp on about *insert manager at other club here* who has had years to imprint his ideals on his squad, and compare him to Jose who hasn't even had a single yet, knowing full well had they been managing us, they would be saying the same rubbish about him had he not performed instantly. Fun times
No wonder the atmosphere at OT is up the shitter these days with a fanbase like this.

Only sing when you're winning.

Womp

idiot
No wonder the atmosphere at OT is up the shitter these days with a fanbase like this.

Only sing when you're winning.
Since he's the reason we're not winning, you're suggesting the atmosphere at OT is technically also Jose's fault? Feckin Jose

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The opening post is a gem :lol:

Under Jose RM broke he record for scoring as did his other teams but "he is a poor attacking coach" "Basic "

Ffs :lol:
We are all aware of the fact he broke the record with Madrid but it was based a lot on counter attacking football. He's class at coaching counter attacks.. a master at it.

Gibb11

In response to the OP it's Mourinho's decision how he see's fit, how the feck should anyone really 'know' as definitive as he should or should not hire someone. However as a forum for opinions, going away from the question to a broader sense we have performed better attacking wise than Van Gaal sides or Moyes sides in my opnion. I trust whatever Mourinho brings to this issue from his track record.

With regards to our play:

Ibra despite scoring 28 goals doesn't help the other attackers in the sense of his his lack of movement, that's not to say Ibra should be out of the team full stop. Clearly he's contributed to our team in a big way to get goals, but the focus is to much on him, he's missed the most clear chances this season, he's a good finisher but for me over the course of his carear I would never have said he is close to being one of the best finishers in the game, he is much more rounded than being a pure finisher.

With Ibra playing centrally we don't get to see some of the positives of last season with Martial and Rashford playing more centrally being dynamic and causing more panic to the centre of the pitch. In our team it feel sometimes thier pace is just ineffective when playing wide, or sometimes deep wide.

Width. There is a lack of it in our team, I almost envy when Guardiola instructs his players sometimes to keep to the touchline which also creates space centrally. Perhaps im missing more important issues such as the timing of a full back overlapping on the wing to provide an option to drag defenders away and pull he opposition all over.

Crossing. Our most effective crosses are back post when Zlatan/Felleini are there, or getting to the byline and cutting it to generally a runner from midfield. Zlatan is often wondering too deep as he plays in a false 9 a lot of the time and we just have a lack of numbers in the box. Iv seen too few times this season where we finally manage to get a excellent low cross into the 6 yard box but no-one there gambling to get onto the end of it, to be fair to Mata he does this better than the rest. Again I believe when we do get into these positions we encounter so many blocked shots because were doing these actions to slow to catch out the opposition, it's a case of split seconds for our attacking play when the delivery should be more often than not, first time ball rather than for example Valencia getting superbly into a wide positon and then hesitating to long, pass, blocked shot/defenders having time to position themselves correctly. We need to be much quicker and decisive in these positions. Maybe im asking to much there I don't know but look at last nights goal ( v Anderlecht, Valencia first time cross) or West brom away (Zlatan goal from first time Lingard cross) These are quick transition periods and defenders are going to struggle more to block and havnt got the time to camp and sit deep. Perhaps thats another subject.

Reactions: Sultan

DWelbz19

You guys are hilarious. People sitting in an office - probably working in Insurance or something - trying to tell Jose Mourinho (24 major honours in 15 years as a manager) how he should be coaching his attacking players.

Honestly guys. Get back to quoting for motor insurance renewals. Embarrassing.
This is truly awful post. Congratulations.

DWelbz19

Just push the effin full backs up. We have 4 narrow attackers against 7 or 8 defenders in a lot of games - we're not going to score. It doesn't matter who's in the team or who's been coaching them, we have to commit players forward, and we don't.

I actually thought in terms of attacking threat, when Shaw came on a couple(?) of games ago it transformed things. It's super basic, but we have zero width, and our wide(r) attackers tuck in and dribble in. It's easy to defend against.
This is a big point, and it's something we seem set up to not do. Darmian literally plays as a third CB.

EyeInTheSky

We are all aware of the fact he broke the record with Madrid but it was based a lot on counter attacking football. He's class at coaching counter attacks.. a master at it.
There's a clue in the term "counter attacking"

At some stage you attack.

To claim that His record breaking teams only scored on the counter is nonsense. Chelsea as one example we're not a counterattacking side especially in his first stint yet they scored a lot of goals and dominated other teams with possession.

You could class any goal as a counterattack goal because at some point the other team had the ball going forward

Feck this thread, I'm out.

Sorry @TheReligion @Womp

Not wasting another keystroke on gash like this

POF

The weakest attacking element of this United team is counter attacking. Just look at the last 2 games. They got the lead, the game was open, put Pogba into the number 10 role with two pacy wide players either side of Ibra. It was a master class in how to waste 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 counter attacks. The decision making and execution on the counter attack is terrible in this side.

In general play, United have had spells when they have been very creative and have played excellent football. They are not an outstanding attacking unit but it's not for a lack of complex attacking play. Counter attacking and scoring the simple goal is the weakest area offensively in this side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There's a clue in the term "counter attacking"

At some stage you attack.

To claim that His record breaking teams only scored on the counter is nonsense. Chelsea as one example we're not a counterattacking side especially in his first stint yet they scored a lot of goals and dominated other teams with possession.

You could class any goal as a counterattack goal because at some point the other team had the ball going forward

Feck this thread, I'm out.

Sorry @TheReligion @Womp

Not wasting another keystroke on gash like this
No you fecking retard. Coaching on the counter attack is different kettle of fish to coaching patterns of play when a team is well set and you have to try and break it down.

I've done my coaching badges and I can tell you straight that it is much easier to put on a counter attacking session when there is space for you to attack into and the runs are much easier to make and easier for the attackers to get shots off make decisions at speed.

Against a well set defence it is very hard to create patterns of play which work - for any coach in all honesty but obviously some coaches are better at it than others.

So take your gash elsewhere.

TrueRed79

Manchester United’s 9 home draws in the league: Shots - 172 Shots on target - 55 Goals - 6 - 3.48% shot conversion rate. It's nothing to do with the fact we don't 'attack' we are just bloody terrible at finding the back of the net. You can see a mile away we lack composure in front of the goal. Martial has been wank this season, had a terrible cameo when he came on last night. Rashford doesn't look like a natural finisher. We lack the quality we had in the past. Jose has only used one transfer window since he came here. People need to chill the hell out and give him a few more. This place is so full of drama queens it's unreal.

settembrini

What would this attacking coach do in training? Tell our players not to aim for the GK when shooting? Because that's been our problem this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The weakest attacking element of this United team is counter attacking. Just look at the last 2 games. They got the lead, the game was open, put Pogba into the number 10 role with two pacy wide players either side of Ibra. It was a master class in how to waste 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 counter attacks. The decision making and execution on the counter attack is terrible in this side.

In general play, United have had spells when they have been very creative and have played excellent football. They are not an outstanding attacking unit but it's not for a lack of complex attacking play. Counter attacking and scoring the simple goal is the weakest area offensively in this side.
The reason why this current United side can't counter attack effectively is because of poor personnel and shit tactics by Jose. If you're one nil up and 20mins to play why would you have a slow 35 year old up front?

Why would you take off your pacey attackers and bring guys like Fellaini on? Why wouldn't you have both Rashford and Martial on the pitch to take advantage of the space in behind? None of it makes sense and that stuff is tactical and it stems from the managers poor decision making.

Next year with a better side I hope his decision making is better but there is no doubt that as poor as our squad is.. if Jose had been on peak form, even if we were using counter attack tactics, if they were implemented properly we would be top 4 comfortably.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Surely Ibra will be acting as a striker coach?

Anyway, this season hasn't been about creating chances it's more converting chances. I reckon our issue has also been lack of sharing goalscoring responsibilities. Herrera, Pogba, and defenders should be at least contributing at least 10 to 15 goals extra goals that has been the case.

EyeInTheSky

No you fecking retard. Coaching on the counter attack is different kettle of fish to coaching patterns of play when a team is well set and you have to try and break it down.

I've done my coaching badges and I can tell you straight that it is much easier to put on a counter attacking session when there is space for you to attack into and the runs are much easier to make and easier for the attackers to get shots off make decisions at speed.

Against a well set defence it is very hard to create patterns of play which work - for any coach in all honesty but obviously some coaches are better at it than others.

So take your gash elsewhere.
Your an idiot arguing with yourself. Your replying to a different question.

Keep your "retard" comments to your fecking self you brat.

Enjoy your time on ignore with the rest of the cretins