Should Rashford make the England squad?

PoTMS

Selfishly from a United perspective, I want him to make it but I don't think he deserves it in an area where we are stacked.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Probably. I don't think we've loads of good left wing options tbh. Grealish hasn't had the best season, neither has Sterling, maybe they ought to have a punt on Morgan Rogers there?

Doracle

Selfishly from a United perspective, I want him to make it but I don't think he deserves it in an area where we are stacked.
We aren’t stacked at all at LW. It’s either play Foden out of position or play Gordon, who isn’t at the same level.

I’d prefer him not to go. I think a summer off will do him a lot of good and should also fire him up for next season. I suspect Southgate will want to take him though, as he is a great option to have and can produce a moment of magic in a close match.

SonOfFergie

On what grounds would he deserve it? Shouldn't be even close to the final squad.

Pughnichi

Not at all. He’s been bad all year and there are players who have performed all season that should be ahead of him (Gordon) and players that perhaps not as explosive but can at least retain possession (Grealish)

that’s assuming Foden doesn’t start there as well

it should serve as a reminder to him that he quite simply hasn’t been good enough. In fact I’d be annoyed if he got the call him…it might make him think his last 12 months have been acceptable

LiamB

No, bad discipline and bad performances all season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No. Gordon is ahead of him for a starting place and then in the squad you can have Foden, Watkins, Bowen ( I think they're certainties for the squad) who could all play there if needed. I'd even take Eze ahead of him to play there.

Yakuza_devils

Yes. He always perform well for England even when he was shit here. He is always one of the best player for England.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
There is still a case for him because he offers something a bit different* to the others.

* could easily be 'losing the ball much more often'

Hammondo

We aren’t stacked at all at LW. It’s either play Foden out of position or play Gordon, who isn’t at the same level.

I’d prefer him not to go. I think a summer off will do him a lot of good and should also fire him up for next season. I suspect Southgate will want to take him though, as he is a great option to have and can produce a moment of magic in a close match.
Foden and Gordon both play left, both way ahead of Rashford.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
What will be more beneficial to us?

- Him going to the Euros and performing well which will likely increase his value if are planning on selling him.

or

- Him not going and using it as a motivation if he is staying with us next season.

talking robot

What will be more beneficial to us?

- Him going to the Euros and performing well which will likely increase his value if are planning on selling him.

or

- Him not going and using it as a motivation if he is staying with us next season.
would rather him go, have a good tournament and us be able to sell for 60-70 million. there’s a risk he’ll go and be shit though.

sincher

I wouldn't take him. His form has just been too bad.

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Guehi, Dier, Chilwell

Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Gallagher, Mainoo, Maddison, Eze, Ward-Prowse

Kane, Saka, Foden, Palmer, Watkins, Toney, Gordon

-------------------------Pickford----------------------
Walker---Stones---Maguire------Trippier
----------------Rice-----Mainoo--------------------
Saka--------------Bellingham---------Foden
------------------------Kane---------------------------

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wouldn't take him. His form has just been too bad.

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Guehi, Dier, Chilwell

Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Gallagher, Mainoo, Maddison, Eze, Ward-Prowse

Kane, Saka, Foden, Palmer, Watkins, Toney, Gordon

-------------------------Pickford----------------------
Walker---Stones---Maguire------Trippier
----------------Rice-----Mainoo--------------------
Saka--------------Bellingham---------Foden
------------------------Kane---------------------------
It sucks for England that the four best English players this season play in the same two positions - Kane and Watkins / Bellingham and Foden.

sincher

It sucks for England that the four best English players this season play in the same two positions - Kane and Watkins / Bellingham and Foden.
Watkins has had a great season, but I am not sure he is an elite player. Absolutely agree about Foden and Bellingham (or Foden and Saka, even). Actually suspect playing Foden on the left won't really work. Maybe Bellingham should drop into a deeper role with Foden at 10 and Gordon/Palmer/Eze on the left. Or maybe even Saka should switch sides.

SecondFig

No. Gordon is ahead of him for a starting place and then in the squad you can have Foden, Watkins, Bowen ( I think they're certainties for the squad) who could all play there if needed. I'd even take Eze ahead of him to play there.
I'd agree after the season just gone - and throw Palmer in there too

Nori-

1. He shouldnt make it, a lot of other players have worked hard and done better this year. They deserve it.

2. He should use his free time this summer to get his head together and maybe decide if he even wants to be at United. We can then sort out a transfer if he goes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Watkins has had a great season, but I am not sure he is an elite player. Absolutely agree about Foden and Bellingham (or Foden and Saka, even). Actually suspect playing Foden on the left won't really work. Maybe Bellingham should drop into a deeper role with Foden at 10 and Gordon/Palmer/Eze on the left. Or maybe even Saka should switch sides.
I think he's as good a backup as you can have really and can cover the ST and LW options.

I'd keep Bellingham as an AM and then unfortunately have Foden play on the left or miss out. I think now you have two great options for the future as the DM playmaker in Mainoo/Wharton and should mould them into that role now. The biggest problem as always is Rice because there's nobody else that can do what he does to a near enough level.

adkb

If he is selected, its doom for England. You can't have a player with his attitude in the squad and build team spirit. He is a dodgy fellow.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
That isn't how Southgate tends to work though. He's barely used Gordon over the last 2 years, so I don't think he'll go.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That isn't how Southgate tends to work though. He's barely used Gordon over the last 2 years, so I don't think he'll go.
He played in the last international break and performed well, he'll definitely be in the squad.

RedC

Which option makes it more likely he will trying to find a new club this summer?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
He's on a downward slide, in no way should he be ahead of Foden, Gordon, Grealish, Watkins. I'd take Sterling ahead of him, if we're going on 'players who perform for their national team'.

Bondi77

I don't think so.
What if Sancho put in a MOTM in the final and Dortmund won the big one???
Now that would be interesting :wenger:

Von Mistelroum

Absolutely not. He is a player in heavy decline Delle Ali style at best.

When he plays he barely looks like a football player out there, more like a fan who won a competition, jogging around looking a bit lost (except that he looks miserable about it).

At this point in his career, pretty much any alternative is going to be a better choice. Anthony Gordon, Sterling, Grealish, Pop Maguire there for a laugh...all preferable options.

RedC

Probably going? If he has a good euros maybe people will forget how bad he’s been this season.
I would have thought if he goes and does well it would be another 'next season is my season' situation.

Zed 101

Players should be picked on form, I am still a big Rashford fan and believe he will come good for us again (if he stays), but as for England, he has no form this year to warrant his selection, if England were short of players for his position then maybe but as they are not short I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad

youngrell

Will Southgate have the balls not to take him? I agree he doesn’t deserve a place over the other options who have played their socks off through the season.

Cypriot

He's definitely not been good enough this year, but one thing about him you cannot disagree with is that he has that rare trait of being able to have a big moment despite his form. He does up his game in the big games and I suppose in an International tournament, every game is a big game.

Woodzy

No. Plenty of cover for the left hand side, so worst case bring another striker or diverse attack that is actually in form and more deserving.

Mike Smalling

With squad sizes increased to 26 he probably will be selected, but you could definitely find a lot of forwards more deserving than him.

If we are talking purely about players that can play comfortably on the left, I'd say Gordon, Eze, Foden and even Grealish would be better choices.

Robertd0803

Id argue he shouldnt be making the United squad currently let alone an international squad.