Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’ll prove my point about the 10 outfield players.
Martinez had a fair bit more time and space when he received the ball than what Maguire did, and the pass was properly hit instead of being kicked into the ground so it was bouncing. Yet he still had to pull off something quite risky and memorable. It's a similar situation but hardly the same thing.

That's not to say that Maguire didn't mess it up further of course.

Lynty

Yes - on reduced wages. His weaknesses are exaggerated by most and there's more pressing concerns in the squad, I can't see us buying a new keeper this summer. De Gea been nothing but professional for us from day 1. He's obviously on too much money, but he's not one of the people I'd be up in arms about, for over staying their welcome at Old Trafford.

We probably need him as first choice next season. We might need him as back up the season after whilst a new first choice beds in. A reasonable extension until 2026 would be appropriate.

If he doesn't sign a new contract, then we need to pay him £365k pw (£19.5m) remaining on his contract until 2024 plus purchase a new keeper this summer (or get bullied with silly transfer prices next summer). If we can reduce his wages to £200kpw and extend for until 2026, thats only an additional £12m in wages for a security in the GK position whilst we find a replacement - and the possibilty to recoup a portion of that back in a transfer fee in summer 2025.

The maths makes it a no brainer for me. Obviously he'll negotiate harder than that - but just trying to put the reality into perspective.

Edit: correction, so his contract is up this summer. Scratch the above, i didn't realise we were still that incomptent.

Last edited:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
We could go into next season with no keeper, or worse Henderson. We should keep him at the club, we dont know how this transfer window will unfold, we could be under an embargo awaiting the owners to be verified as competent and end up with no one new in the summer.

Idxomer

Yes - on reduced wages. His weaknesses are exaggerated by most and there's more pressing concerns in the squad, I can't see us buying a new keeper this summer. De Gea been nothing but professional for us from day 1. He's obviously on too much money, but he's not one of the people I'd be up in arms about, for over staying their welcome at Old Trafford.

We probably need him as first choice next season. We might need him as back up the season after whilst a new first choice beds in. A reasonable extension until 2026 would be appropriate.

If he doesn't sign a new contract, then we need to pay him £365k pw (£19.5m) remaining on his contract until 2024 plus purchase a new keeper this summer (or get bullied with silly transfer prices next summer). If we can reduce his wages to £200kpw and extend for until 2026, thats only an additional £12m in wages for a security in the GK position whilst we find a replacement - and the possibilty to recoup a portion of that back in a transfer fee in summer 2025.

The maths makes it a no brainer for me. Obviously he'll negotiate harder than that - but just trying to put the reality into perspective.
No, we don't because there's nothing remaining on his contract after this season.

Lynty

No, we don't because there's nothing remaining on his contract after this season.
Holy shit I've just checked an your right.

So we're negoitating a contract with a first team player who's free agent in 2 months time with no replacement prepared. Dear god.

I'm not sure who has the upper hand in negotiations now, it probably depends on the offers De Gea has had from other clubs.

Paul778

So we're negoitating a contract with a first team player who's free agent in 2 months time with no replacement prepared. Dear god.

I'm not sure who has the upper hand in negotiations now, it probably depends on the offers De Gea has had from other clubs.
Who knows we have no replacement prepared? I'd like to think some prep work was done on the various options.

It's in noones interests for any potential new signing to be made public right now. It would sour the relationship with the keepers current teams fanbase, and it would also sour the relationship with DDG. Keep the dialogue channels open and work on agreements in principal

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

De Gea will not be wanted by any top clubs. If it were Ederson or Allison their clubs would have to table £500k a week deals as they could command that as a free agent elsewhere.

De Gea shouldn’t be first choice next season and we should be paying him back up wages if he stays. Perhaps with a huge appearance fee. £75k a week with £100k in appearance fee forced him to raise his game.

This assuming we have identified a keeper and have the transfer agreed for a replacement. I reckon we must have.

Idxomer

We haven't heard about any interest from other clubs. I can't really think of any big club in Europe in need of a new goalkeeper apart from Spurs if you can call them big.

Loony BoB

I appreciate the comparison but also feel it's impossible to seriously compare the two situations as no situation is truly identical. Honestly I do feel that Maguire should absolutely have done better, but equally feel that it would have made much more sense to go over the top of Maguire or to AWB than to lightly pass it to Maguire when he is surrounded by three players and the press is known to be heavy.

Regarding DDG, I'm indifferent to him staying or leaving. He's absolutely a great shot stopper to this day and we've had far worse keepers that we thought should be good for us over the years. If we get a better keeper and they gel well with the team, awesome. It's a risk, though. Personally I'd prefer we focus on other areas of the pitch, but I don't think that DDG deserves to be our top paid player at this point in time, so if he does stay I feel it's justified to lower his wages a bit.

CM

De Gea's pass selection in the Martinez clip is awful too, what is that supposed to prove? Neither Martinez nor Maguire should be expected to manoeuvre their way out of a situation like that because their goalkeeper can't use the ball properly. Anyone who can't see that is being obstinate.

You only have to look at the third Sevilla goal to see how hopeless De Gea is with the ball at his feet. These aren't isolated incidents. He isn't compatible with a team who have aspirations of winning the Premier League or Champions League. He hasn't even been good enough to get called up by his country for the last two years.

K Stand Knut

We can extend his deal for another year, can’t we?

The debate appears to be if we can negotiate him down for a longer term contract but on lower wages OR we extend for the obligatory 12 months that gets inserted in to all United contracts these days.

He isn’t going anywhere this summer without a fee.

CM

We can extend his deal for another year, can’t we?

The debate appears to be if we can negotiate him down for a longer term contract but on lower wages OR we extend for the obligatory 12 months that gets inserted in to all United contracts these days.

He isn’t going anywhere this summer without a fee.
He's the world's best paid goalkeeper, we aren't getting a fee either way.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Id be happy to resign him with a view to replacing him in another a season or two to allow us to rebuild elsewhere. I have full faith in him when he has Varane and Martinez infront of him. What we need is a better defence beyond them.

nazanto

In a perfect world, we should just say thank you for your service all these years to De Gea, but at this point I'm pretty much resigning to the fact not only this club would offer a renewal contract to him. In fact I can even bet my horse that the so called reduce wages would be so insignificant that we're probably going to stuck with him for few more years.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If ETH wants him to extend it'll be less clear he does want to control possession and dominate matches
It's the singular thing I can't understand with ETH so far. Every other decision I could see the logic in and many I agreed with even. But even if you're on a constrained budget, renewing DDG just seems stupid by any form of logic. Pep literally ditched Joe Hart and brought in Bravo (who was terrible at shot stopping) simply because he knew it was the first step in molding the style of the team even if he was a stop gap before a true #1 keeper could be bought. But in the exact same situation, Ten Hag wants to keep De Gea and deal with another year of this headache of a past it keeper that doesn't fit his style at all that will still be on big wages with 0 resale value

dpansheth

It's the singular thing I can't understand with ETH so far. Every other decision I could see the logic in and many I agreed with even. But even if you're on a constrained budget, renewing DDG just seems stupid by any form of logic. Pep literally ditched Joe Hart and brought in Bravo (who was terrible at shot stopping) simply because he knew it was the first step in molding the style of the team even if he was a stop gap before a true #1 keeper could be bought. But in the exact same situation, Ten Hag wants to keep De Gea and deal with another year of this headache of a past it keeper that doesn't fit his style at all that will still be on big wages with 0 resale value
That's why I dont believe we will extend DDG. Lets see what happens. he's out of contract in two months time, cant be long if we want to extend.

ArmaDino

I can't believe how far the standards have dropped at our club. I challenge anyone to watch that performance against Sevilla and tell me that he has a place at our club.

If SAF was our manager, how many on here believe De Gea would have played after that? Let alone get a new contract. People like Barthez, Caroll, Howard and Taibi where booted out for less.

Trully a sad sight to see how low our own fans are willing to lower the bar just so they can cling on to some sentementality because he was once a good player.

Truth be told, nothing held us back more in the post Fergie years than the sentementality. Not hiring a DoF, hoping an ex player is going to come in good, clinging to players who are clearly past their best simply because they were good once.

Oh how I miss the ruthlessness of 1997 and 2006.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It really isn't the exact same situation.

Pep inherited a team that already had a spine of players like KDB, Sterling, Fernandinho, Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Yaya Toure in it. At which point he did indeed buy Bravo, but only as one part of a €200m-ish spending spree that also included CB, CM, RW, LW and CF. And that was €200m seven years ago (the equivalent figure now would be a lot higher), without having to generate significant funds from outgoing transfers at the same time.

That's a better position than the more constrained one ETH is in going into this summer and compromises need to be made somewhere.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It really isn't the exact same situation.

Pep inherited a team that already had a spine of players like KDB, Sterling, Fernandinho, Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Yaya Toure in it. At which point he did indeed buy Bravo, but only as one part of a €200m-ish spending spree that also included CB, CM, RW, LW and CF. And that was €200m seven years ago (the equivalent figure now would be a lot higher), without having to generate significant funds from outgoing transfers at the same time.

That's a better position than the more constrained one ETH is in going into this summer and compromises need to be made somewhere.
But couldn't he just be extended by 1yr. If its a new deal even on lower wages (not ETHs concern) it'll be an indicator

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But couldn't he just be extended by 1yr. If its a new deal even on lower wages (not ETHs concern) it'll be an indicator
We could trigger the one year extension, but that one year would cost us £375k a week or whatever De Gea is currently on. What value would there be in that versus just handing him a new contract where the same amount buys you a theoretical two years? You can always tell him he's no longer needed next year if needs be.

Seven Seas Sardines

He kept praising Ronaldo, Maguire and Weghorst before shipping/benching them. I still cling onto the hope that Ten Hag has no interest in renewing, and that journalists know nothing and are all just trying to piss us off for clout. Fraudrizio's hopefully just living up to his name considering he's been saying DDG contract is close all year.

Why even give him a new contract before the new owners are decided?

Rockets Redglare

Offer him half wages and explain he might not be first choice. Then he’ll either leave for more money or we’ll have a very good backup option.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Offer him half wages and explain he might not be first choice. Then he’ll either leave for more money or we’ll have a very good backup option.
Problem is, even at half of his current wages he'd still be the highest paid goalkeeper in the league.

AlPistacho

This isn't really showing anything other than how good Martinez is though. It's a terrible pass and decision both times
Playing it to the first CB, is a pass I have seen enough times from other teams to think it’s part of “playing out from the back system”.
I’ve seen it work and I’ve seen it gone wrong. An example of it going wrong due to a bad pass from the keeper would be Ramsdale for one of the Southampton’s goal vs Arsenal. DDG was only wrong in the sense that it was like him giving a loaded machine gun to a monkey.

But the video was posted in the context of quality players. We have more Harry Maguires, than we do Martinez’s. It could be a ping to the RB, would AWB do with it what City’s RB usually does?

edgecutter

What are you talking about? De Gea would easily get 100k plus salary from another club. He still has a lot to offer, especially to teams who aren't looking for a ball playing keeper.

Why are people mixing up De Gea being unsuitable to the way we are looking to play, with being shit? It's clearly not the case. A lot of clubs would be going out of their way to get his signature.

The perennial disappointment Jesse Lingard is on 200k a week and you don't think De Gea could get 50k. Stop talking nonsense.
What club is going to pay him 100k a week? You are living in dream land or the past. He's done as a top keeper, can't get in the Spain squad and you still believe a queue of clubs would pay him top dollar. Its going to shock a lot of people when he leaves united and finally find his level in either the mls or the middle east.

Last edited:

JagUTD

I hope we can get a new deal wrapped up as he's still a fantastic goal keeper. I do however want to see a reduced salary but for me, he'd still be number one as I don't see any attainable replacement that would realistically take his place.

We do need to make sure we avoid the mistakes made replacing Schmeichel and plan ahead. So rather that looking for a replacement for the present, we should be looking for someone younger who we can bed in over the next 2 or 3 seasons. That's the smart play in my opinion as there's not really anyone out there that would be a real up grade on De Gea that we can realistically sign.

JagUTD

What club is going to pay him 100k a week? You are living in dream land or the past. He's done as a top keeper, can't get in the Spain squad and you still believe a queue of clubs would pay him top dollar. Its going to shock a lot of people when he leaves united and finally find his level in either the mls or the middle east.
£100k is the average PL salary now so De Gea would have no issues commanding far more than that, especially if we were stupid enough to let him leave on a free.

daba

I hope we can get a new deal wrapped up as he's still a fantastic goal keeper. I do however want to see a reduced salary but for me, he'd still be number one as I don't see any attainable replacement that would realistically take his place.

We do need to make sure we avoid the mistakes made replacing Schmeichel and plan ahead. So rather that looking for a replacement for the present, we should be looking for someone younger who we can bed in over the next 2 or 3 seasons. That's the smart play in my opinion as there's not really anyone out there that would be a real up grade on De Gea that we can realistically sign.
Raya + Diogo Costa would both be obtainable and better in enabling us to dominate the ball better in games, which is what ETH consistently says he wants us to get better at. One would cost £30m with only 1y left on his contract, the other has a £65m release clause so I would say both are also realistic.

Andersonson

I can't believe how far the standards have dropped at our club. I challenge anyone to watch that performance against Sevilla and tell me that he has a place at our club.

If SAF was our manager, how many on here believe De Gea would have played after that? Let alone get a new contract. People like Barthez, Caroll, Howard and Taibi where booted out for less.

Trully a sad sight to see how low our own fans are willing to lower the bar just so they can cling on to some sentementality because he was once a good player.

Truth be told, nothing held us back more in the post Fergie years than the sentementality. Not hiring a DoF, hoping an ex player is going to come in good, clinging to players who are clearly past their best simply because they were good once.

Oh how I miss the ruthlessness of 1997 and 2006.
Then dont back the manager. He is the one giving him a new contract.

MADReaLJL

That's my point. Why should we pay him big wages to do what almost every other goalkeeper can do? Time to move on. Don't renew his contract.
Yeah, I agree. That needs to be sorted out in the summer.

What I meant in the earlier post is, Brighton was able to distribute the ball well from the back and control possession against us without their goalkeeper being a central part of it.

We still have a lot to do even after changing to better ball playing goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.