g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt

85% wanted Sancho
85% wanted Di Maria
85% wanted Falcao
85% wanted Ole
Heck, back in the day almost this entire forum wanted Jack Rodwell.

That speak volumes
There’s a hell of a difference between wanting a player who may or may not be successful and not wanting a player who has been in decline for several years…. that also speaks volumes.

Andersonson

There’s a hell of a difference between wanting a player who may or may not be successful and not wanting a player who has been in decline for several years…. that also speaks volumes.
No need to have a go at me, have a go at the manager who wants him

OleGunnar20

For a year or two at a reduced wage? Perhaps. Depends on whether there'll be money there for a replacement / whether we feel confident in our options.

I think keeping him for another year and replacing at the end of that season will be the best move, assuming this takeover continues to drag on into the summer.

NZT-One

Really a difficult question. All the time in the last years I was for keeping him in the 1 spot because it was clear we wouldn't get rid of him with the insane wages. Might as well just make use of him then. But extending that story? Really depends on the wages, it is difficult with him being of only a few senior players who actually experienced the last great time for United... Not sure who to go for to replace him but goalkeeper isn't a a position to save a few bucks and considering how many wholes the team has. Glad I don't have to make the decision. The idea of extending for a year seems sensible to me. His time is up, thats for sure.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Renew for 2/3 years on 200k a week. Has saved us so many times this season with world class saves. Been asked to play out from the back and it’s not his style, we do need to replace him but spend the money elsewhere, a striker that can score more goals than he concedes and we will be fine.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Renew for 2/3 years on 200k a week. Has saved us so many times this season with world class saves. Been asked to play out from the back and it’s not his style, we do need to replace him but spend the money elsewhere, a striker that can score more goals than he concedes and we will be fine.
If we do need to replace him then why give him 200k p/w for 3 years?
We need a reliable goalscorer as well as a more complete goalkeeper.

AbusementPark

If we do need to replace him then why give him 200k p/w for 3 years?
We need a reliable goalscorer as well as a more complete goalkeeper.
Depending how this sale goes it could take a few years to sort the positions out fully, plus once he’s replaced we can keep him as a backup option or sell him on, 200k is still a lot and could prove hard to sell him but he is still a very good keeper. By the stage we replace him in a year or two he might be willing to accept another drop in wage to go to another team. If we continue paying him 375k for the exercised option then that equates to 2 years wages at 200k more or less.

davidmichael

If, and it’s a fecking massive IF, De Gea WERE to stay then he’d have to accept a yearly rolling contract on a much more reduced basic salary with performance based bonuses included, under Sir Alex and David Gill we used to only offer anyone over 30 a one year contract with performance incentives to keep them performing and after the last couple of years De Gea needs incentive to perform.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He also cost us many times with his lack of authority claiming crosses, and his rubbish passing and distribution.
Still if he's happy to take less money and be a no2 then he can stay

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His contract expires next month, it looks like he's getting released.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we are really trying to renew his contract then we are certainly cutting it close.
One thing is clear to me, and that is De Gea isn't seen as a renewal priority. Because if he was, the club wouldn't have allowed the situation to go unresolved into the new year, when he was legally allowed to talk to other clubs.

gajender

One thing is clear to me, and that is De Gea isn't seen as a renewal priority. Because if he was, the club wouldn't have allowed the situation to go unresolved into the new year, when he was legally allowed to talk to other clubs.
It seems that way doesn't it , I also think he is at end of the Road with United .

JB7

If we are really trying to renew his contract then we are certainly cutting it close.
There isn't really any need to rush. He's been free to talk with European clubs for several months and given that even the wildly speculative tabloid rags haven't caught wind of any interest and linked him with anyone it's safe to assume there isn't a great deal of interest in him at present so the club holds the cards.

Hughie77

Eth will want imo a new keeper, that's much better with there feet, now DDG is brilliant at stopping goals with his feet, passing it out etc is his downfall. If DDG gets new deal it should be 1 year rolling contract. And a new keeper sort after.

AbusementPark

He also cost us many times with his lack of authority claiming crosses, and his rubbish passing and distribution.
Still if he's happy to take less money and be a no2 then he can stay
If it’s to prioritise other areas of investment then yes we need to renew his contract. Forward is the priority this summer along with a holding midfielder and defender. If we protect the back line better then less pressure on the keeper.

Don’t forget he’s has the most clean sheets this season, not all down to the defence.

Cassidy

If it’s to prioritise other areas of investment then yes we need to renew his contract. Forward is the priority this summer along with a holding midfielder and defender. If we protect the back line better then less pressure on the keeper.

Don’t forget he’s has the most clean sheets this season, not all down to the defence.
Like I already said: "If he's happy to take less money and be a no2 then he can stay"

AbusementPark

Like I already said: "If he's happy to take less money and be a no2 then he can stay"
Who’s going to be No1 next season though? Unless we get someone for a bargain, Livakovic for £10m is being quoted not sure if he’s on the radar or not.

Cassidy

Who’s going to be No1 next season though? Unless we get someone for a bargain, Livakovic for £10m is being quoted not sure if he’s on the radar or not.
We should sign a no1 keeper, I’m pretty sure we will too

Tango80

We definitely need a reserve keeper this summer without having to rely on loans. Although Henderson's latest news has thrown a spanner into the works a bit.

As for DDG, yeah he'll need replacing. Right now though? Not so sure.

Dorris

No need to have a go at me, have a go at the manager who wants him
Still wants him yet we’re less than 2 months away from his contract expiring. I think you best prepare yourself for a shock.

Oranges038

It's easy to see why he's not a renewal priority, massive wages and a style that is at odd with the direction the team is going. It's sad, but that massive contract coupled with his all round game not being up to scratch, he's just not worth it.

It's also easy to see why other clubs wouldn't want him, none of the clubs that could afford to pay him anything over 100k a week need him. That's much less that what Utd have apparently offered. If he goes on a free, he probably won't get anywhere near what he's on.

wolvored

I think this 200k a week contract talk is bollocks. From 370k to 200k is a massive drop off and the club as it stands cant afford to say take it or leave it. I can imagine he wants his money made up with extra 10s of thousands by playing, clean sheets etc. Probably around 25-30k a week worse off overall. Has he also stipulated hes got to be No 1 goalie as well?
This is why the parasites need to make a decision now on who is going to get the club, not another months time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Realistically no club is likely to offer him what we will, because even with a paycut we (understandably) are likely to value him more highly due to his history at the club and standing in the squad.

Beyond that, by all reports he has no interest in leaving anyway. The Athletic previously described him as a naturally introverted person who is settled in Manchester after 12 years here, so his overwhelming preference would likely be to stay, even leaving the money aside.

Plus we've always had the ability to trigger a year's extension.

All of which goes some way towards explaining the lack of urgency to come to a resolution, but it doesn't neccessarily mean the new contract isn't going to happen. If you're one of the people who desperately want DDG gone, you should be careful not to set yourself up for disappointment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's easy to see why he's not a renewal priority, massive wages and a style that is at odd with the direction the team is going. It's sad, but that massive contract coupled with his all round game not being up to scratch, he's just not worth it.

It's also easy to see why other clubs wouldn't want him, none of the clubs that could afford to pay him anything over 100k a week need him. That's much less that what Utd have apparently offered. If he goes on a free, he probably won't get anywhere near what he's on.
The writing was on the wall for him when the club didn't take up the option of a extra year and allowed him to go into the final 6 months of his contract, which allows him to talk to other clubs. But under Woodward I feel he would've signed a new contract a long time ago.

I think it's a matter of when he leaves and not if he leaves. I think the club possibly have a younger keeper in mind and want to retain DDG to ease the new keeper in. Now it remains to be seen if DDG accepts reduced terms or we do what Milan did with Donnarumma and sign a younger keeper with the potential to provide the pro-activity on and off the ball, which has not been seen at United for a long time.

I've always consistently said that DDG isn't saving us but rather he's a major contributor towards the team not evolving into a proactive, attacking team. I think he's been very fortunate we appointed managers post Fergie who were more reactive than proactive. Because if someone like Guardiola had turned up post Fergie, like many fans wanted, then DDG's career at United would've been very short lived due to what Guardiola expects from his keeper both in the build up and in defensive transition via sweeping.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Was this ever really in doubt? I think the club is still of the slightly outdated mindset of “protecting the value” of players by keeping them in contract, at least until we properly address the recruitment/ DOF side of the club properly

Zoo

Was this ever really in doubt? I think the club is still of the slightly outdated mindset of “protecting the value” of players by keeping them in contract, at least until we properly address the recruitment/ DOF side of the club properly
Nah, the word is that De Gea would be extended on reduced terms but we're still looking for a goalkeeper.

theballisround

I actually think we don't have the money for a new first choice GK, especially when everyone and their dog knows we need one and will take us to the cleaners.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Nah, the word is that De Gea would be extended on reduced terms but we're still looking for a goalkeeper.
Hopefully substantially reduced terms if he’s going to be our number two and the understanding from him that this is the plan.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The funny thing is that Rangnick didn't see the issues with DDG and also saw McTominay as a future Man Utd captain.

It's easy to see why Rangnick didn't see a issue and why those players become a issue for the head coach who wants to implement positional play in a vertical axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.