Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I actually thought him not extending was a good sign that we're confident of being able to implement a plan in the summer involving a new keeper that fits ETH's style.

Drat.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think this 200k a week contract talk is bollocks. From 370k to 200k is a massive drop off and the club as it stands cant afford to say take it or leave it. I can imagine he wants his money made up with extra 10s of thousands by playing, clean sheets etc. Probably around 25-30k a week worse off overall. Has he also stipulated hes got to be No 1 goalie as well?
This is why the parasites need to make a decision now on who is going to get the club, not another months time.
It's not beyond any probability. First, i don't believe he will be able to find a club willing to cover his current wages. If such an offer was on the table, he would have something to bargain with. But let’s not kid ourselves, the game has moved on from his style of goalkeeping. Dave knows it and we know it too.

Even if we presume that the club wants to keep him as its first-choice goalkeeper, it doesn't mean that he has to be paid the same money as before. De Gea's 32 and he's nearing the end of his career. So, instead of two years on 375 grand p/w, he gets around 200 for 3+1 years. He gets to end his career at the highest level, and United can claim that they got the GK position settled for the near future with less money (in yearly wages).

I think it's a bit of both. David knows that he won't get the same deal and the club can't be bothered to look for a proper replacement. "If he offers something, keep him" has been our mantra for more than a decade. Only the final signatures remain.

Last edited:

Lentwood

I can't stress enough what a gigantic disappointment it would be if we renew DDGs contract. It's not entirely his fault but he has become symbolic of our decade of decline, underperforming player with the backbone of a snail on huge wages. He's also entirely unsuited to playing modern football for a top side.

It's time to move on and let us remember the period between 2013-2018 when he was genuinely world-class

Oranges038

The writing was on the wall for him when the club didn't take up the option of a extra year and allowed him to go into the final 6 months of his contract, which allows him to talk to other clubs. But under Woodward I feel he would've signed a new contract a long time ago.

I think it's a matter of when he leaves and not if he leaves. I think the club possibly have a younger keeper in mind and want to retain DDG to ease the new keeper in. Now it remains to be seen if DDG accepts reduced terms or we do what Milan did with Donnarumma and sign a younger keeper with the potential to provide the pro-activity on and off the ball, which has not been seen at United for a long time.

I've always consistently said that DDG isn't saving us but rather he's a major contributor towards the team not evolving into a proactive, attacking team. I think he's been very fortunate we appointed managers post Fergie who were more reactive than proactive. Because if someone like Guardiola had turned up post Fergie, like many fans wanted, then DDG's career at United would've been very short lived due to what Guardiola expects from his keeper both in the build up and in defensive transition via sweeping.
I have also thought this for quite some time.

Genuinely don't see any positives from keeping him, even if you bring in a younger keeper to be backup with a view to replacing him.

I just don't see what that guy going to learn from him, when he hasn't addressed a single weakness in his game in over 10 years.

Best option is to cut him loose, remove his wages from the books and bring in someone new, if it doesn't work move them on and look again.

Remember the geese

If he extends on massively reduced terms and is our number two moving forward, then I'd reluctantly accept it. Ideally he'd be kicked out.

RedDevil@84

I thought we were going to be ruthless but guess not. Fully expect McTom, Maguire, Fred and Co to be here next season
If the ownership ordeal is gonna drag on, then we have lesser chances of sales and buys that we would want

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have also thought this for quite some time.

Genuinely don't see any positives from keeping him, even if you bring in a younger keeper to be backup with a view to replacing him.

I just don't see what that guy going to learn from him, when he hasn't addressed a single weakness in his game in over 10 years.

Best option is to cut him loose, remove his wages from the books and bring in someone new, if it doesn't work move them on and look again.
I think the only reason ten Hag would keep him around is due to him being a positive dressing room influence if we're to go off reports in the media. EtH even wanted to keep Matic around for another year due to his positive influence in the dressing room.

But I do hope we can move on from DDG. And hopefully we look to buy a keeper who best suits the playstyle we're trying to develop. A proactive keeper who looks to dominate his area and raises the level of the build up phase, will make a big difference imo. I've been wanting a goalkeeper like that for many years now and there's even posts on here about me wanting Mike Maignan, 5 years ago when he was at Lille.

It's not difficult to bring in the right players but we have to first take off the shackles that are stopping us from evolving into a proactive attacking team. DDG is a inherited problem for the current regime and I wouldn't be surprised if he's released next month because the reports about him being close to signing a new contract have been around since last year. And the latest one being that the club is 'aiming' to give him a new contract before his current one expires next month.

jesperjaap

Offer him a two year contract on a reduced salary.

Personally not sure there is a kepper experienced enough to come in and be guaranteed to handle the pressure that is available, not from the premiership anyway, seen very little of Costa who seems the big choice.

Henderson rightly is most certainly off. if we release DeGea we are literally left with Heaton and would need to either sign two keeper or loan one alongside a signing.

Say just as an example DeGea signs for 2years on £250k per weel, its £12m for a season of his experience and though he may not be at the level of 5/6years ago or as suited to the modern game, he is still a very good keeper.

If we bring someone in, they do well we can sell DeGea in a season on a cheap fee with a year left on his contract, if a new keeper struggles or flops we have two seasons of DeGea possibly....to me that seems much better than left without a keeper at all pretty much in the summer.

We need two defenders, a midfielder and two strikers minimum this summer....I think adding two keepers to that list is a step too far in our purchases

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah, enough. It's not the first time he's done this at the end of a season.

Idxomer

Keane was right. If I were his teammate, I would want to punch him in the face after every game.

L1nk

Will genuinely cost Ten Hag his job if he gets given a new contract.

Devil81

Forget the summer I'd get Butland on now and see if he is a better option until the summer.

davidmichael

I’d honestly rather have Henderson in goal for us next season, De Gea is a complete liability with the ball at his feet but also become one in shot stopping as he’s now producing mistake after mistake.

RonaldoVII

I’ve always been in favour of it but too many errors now. Even regardless of the faults in his game it’s too many errors.

Leg-End

He’s infuriatingly pathetic, we can’t move forward with a wilting flower in goal

led_scholes

Yes. Only if he is job is to make tea. He would most likely drop the cups from his hands though.

sparx99

The through line during his career is that he loses concentration. When we’ve been a poor team in 6-7th in the league and he’s busy he’s an excellent shot stopper.

But when we’ve had better years or we are on top in games and he has one thing to deal with every now and then he makes massive mistakes.

The better the team we become the worse he’ll be for us.

SAFMUTD

This is our chance to get rid. He's a freaking liability. Awful just awful

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Past his best & not a modern day GK. Can’t play out from the back, big liability on crosses & now makes too many errors leading to goals.

Been a terrific servant for the club, but time to move on.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Forget the summer I'd get Butland on now and see if he is a better option until the summer.
Right, what's even the point of having two backup keepers if there's nothing (aside from injury) that'll lead you to drop your starter?

Idxomer

The through line during his career is that he loses concentration. When we’ve been a poor team in 6-7th in the league and he’s busy he’s an excellent shot stopper.

But when we’ve had better years or we are on top in games and he has one thing to deal with every now and then he makes massive mistakes.

The better the team we become the worse he’ll be for us.
Why have we taken so many spankings this season then?

SAFMUTD

Agree, why do we have subs if we're not going to use them?

What does de Gea has to do to get benched?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is no longer good enough to not receive constant criticism as our #1, and seeing him get constant criticism makes me feel sad.

Please just let him leave this summer. Hopefully off the back of a top four season and FA Cup win. Because that's as good an exit as he's getting at this point.

TrueRed79

He is just a symptom of how badly run we have been sine 2013. Any other top club would have binned him years ago. We cannot offer him a new contract.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rubbish goalkeeper. I called it about 4 or so seasons ago saying he isn’t good enough if we want to win titles. I got a lot of backlash for that despite it being obvious how much of a liability he was becoming

Status
Not open for further replies.