Should we worry about Mourinho?

Jig1234

I'd never worry for a manager. I worry for Man Utd. We're not going forward at all. Mourinho has been a failure to this point until otherwise. He hasn't proved his worth as yet.

Witchking

Yes. Needs to be given an ultimatum that United need to finish in the top 4 at least or he gets the sack. We have become just another club, so let's start acting like it. If United finish outside the top 4, get a DoF and a decent manager, maybe even Sean Dyche. We would be better than we are right now.

No more, United way, we are united bull shit. We are bad and the tactics, management, players are all letting the fans down. It would be different if United are showing some positive signs or maybe playing a bit better but the way the players are playing right now looks as if they do not give a damn and for this Jose needs to take the blame as well.

JoaquinJoaquin

Maybe not but it's the manager that will get sacked. And if we don't start to turn things around soon the calls for his head will get very loud. Then what? Where do we go? What a shambles
O I know the axe will fall on Mourinho but it won't change anything. If anything we will then get worse. If Jose cannot sort this then we are finished as a top side. The people calling for his head and saying he is finished already are a disgrace.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Though if Jose fails, then regardless of the muppet signings he has been making (which are not turning out well for us at all) then Woodard, who is running this shit show, needs to go.

AndyJ1985

Our turnover is in the top 3 in the world. We have resources only others can dream about.

We will be fine.
If we keep wasting money we won't be fine, we'll be pretty far from fine. We already have a team of massively overpaid players that we will find difficult to shift. Things have to start changing for the better and soon, or we'll be in big trouble.

red_devil83

This isn't the Mourinho of old. He wasn't refreshed or revitalised by his time off after the sack. He may have a point to prove but he's clearly struggling to get it across.

If Mourinho and United are to become part of history for positive reasons then it's looking more and more likely there'll have to be a personal redemption story for Mourinho to give the club a redemption.

I thought (hoped?) he'd come in and easily push us to a title challenge. At the start it looked quite possible but now it's clear he's lost something. What's not clear is if he can find it again.

Way to soon to think about a change though.

Skills

Snitch
No point worrying about the manager. We're just fecked. Doomed for many years to come yet.

Happened to us after Busby, happened to Liverpool. Nothing we can do about it.

Look on the bright side though, we've already got through 3.5 years, probably only another 20 or 30 to endure.

And imagine what a happy old man you'll be when we finally win our 21st league title.
We'll be fine long term. We're just too huge to ever really fall apart like post busby and Liverpool have done.

Look at Liverpool, as much as we laugh at them they've still remained fairly significant over their dry period with occasional title challenges. Financially and just taking everything else into account, we're in a completely different stratosphere to them.

Count Orduck

I agree too, should have given him a year contract and then the option of a rolling month to month deal.

But we may as well keep him. Who else will make a difference here? Pep, Carlo Ancelotti and Klopp are the only ones.
Simeone :devil:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I was entirely against his appointment but I'm absolutely as against the idea of getting rid early.

Constantly sacking managers is a very effective way of spending a lot of money for little success.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
No point worrying about the manager. We're just fecked. Doomed for many years to come yet.

Happened to us after Busby, happened to Liverpool. Nothing we can do about it.

Look on the bright side though, we've already got through 3.5 years, probably only another 20 or 30 to endure.

And imagine what a happy old man you'll be when we finally win our 21st league title.
The worst part is that it very much feels like you're right at this point :(

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
It's a shame Van Gaal hasn't taken another job so we can see if it was him who was clueless or if the players have let him down. If Mourinho does go, we have to wonder if it the manager or the players because they just haven't been go enough since Fergie left especially in game where they need to dig deep. Some of these lads have benefited from managerial changes, Van Gaal and Mourinho gave them chances to prove themselves when they should have just been ruthless.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd stick with him and give him time, but there's no hiding that he has had a shit start and overall, there isn't really any obvious plan for us. We aren't looking solid defensively, going forward we rely on individual people doing something special, or getting a goal out of nothing rather then having a specific game plan, attacking with pace or whatever. We're basically just a collection of individuals and it's showing. No chance for top 4 this season even as early as it is, so we have to hope for the Europa League to go well. But more then that, we shouldn't sacrifice actual team development and growing into something for immediate results.

Look at what Klopp did. Yes Liverpool was inconsistent as feck last season, but he knew he had the time to develop the side so he wasn't worried about missing out on top 4. Honestly, we should be in the same boat. We are a fecking shit team these days and need to stop trying to put band aids on a bigger problem. Start from scratch, get us playing in a good, fast paced and attacking style, and just have them stick with it. Even if it doesn't go well. Stick with it and know that in time, the consistency will come and we'll improve. That's what we need. United for so many years now have struggled to look a complete side, even going back into Fergie's time here for a few years. It's just been one attempted quick fix after another, with transfers, or what the managers have done, or whatever else. Van Gaal fell in the same boat. First season I was pretty happy with him, as we started poorly but then showed huge improvements and by the end, looked good all around. His second season then he threw away what made it good and just tried to turn us into a team that grinds out results. Sure, we won the FA cup, but we missed out on the top 4 anyway, so it was a waste of a season. We should tell Mourinho, listen, feck it if we don't make top 4, get us playing in a way that can turn us into a dominating side again. Properly rebuild it, instead of doing small patch up jobs, because right now we are well beyond repaid and need a whole rebuild.

Ban

He'll get it right. We're a mess but he'll sort it out.

Thinking about getting rid of him right now is completely and utterly crazy.

That's not a solution right now.

Give him time, give him a year and if we don't see any progress than we can think about it.
Even if we don't get top 4 but we see a progression and that we're going in the right way he should stay.

Ban

I'd stick with him and give him time, but there's no hiding that he has had a shit start and overall, there isn't really any obvious plan for us. We aren't looking solid defensively, going forward we rely on individual people doing something special, or getting a goal out of nothing rather then having a specific game plan, attacking with pace or whatever. We're basically just a collection of individuals and it's showing. No chance for top 4 this season even as early as it is, so we have to hope for the Europa League to go well. But more then that, we shouldn't sacrifice actual team development and growing into something for immediate results.

Look at what Klopp did. Yes Liverpool was inconsistent as feck last season, but he knew he had the time to develop the side so he wasn't worried about missing out on top 4. Honestly, we should be in the same boat. We are a fecking shit team these days and need to stop trying to put band aids on a bigger problem. Start from scratch, get us playing in a good, fast paced and attacking style, and just have them stick with it. Even if it doesn't go well. Stick with it and know that in time, the consistency will come and we'll improve. That's what we need. United for so many years now have struggled to look a complete side, even going back into Fergie's time here for a few years. It's just been one attempted quick fix after another, with transfers, or what the managers have done, or whatever else. Van Gaal fell in the same boat. First season I was pretty happy with him, as we started poorly but then showed huge improvements and by the end, looked good all around. His second season then he threw away what made it good and just tried to turn us into a team that grinds out results. Sure, we won the FA cup, but we missed out on the top 4 anyway, so it was a waste of a season. We should tell Mourinho, listen, feck it if we don't make top 4, get us playing in a way that can turn us into a dominating side again. Properly rebuild it, instead of doing small patch up jobs, because right now we are well beyond repaid and need a whole rebuild.
Liverpool had a patchy form last year. Just like us right now. Klopp had a whole year to make a team of his own and make them play like he wants to.
Jose should get the same.

Eddy_JukeZ

Give him time, give him a year and if we don't see any progress than we can think about it.
Even if we don't get top 4 but we see a progression and that we're going in the right way he should stay.
To clarify, I wasn't calling for his sacking in the OP.

I would give him two seasons, because I don't think there is a good alternative out there.

I do have less faith in him now than at the start though. I thought his last Chelsea season was a blip(and it may very well be), but the results so far have been alarming.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Our turnover is in the top 3 in the world. We have resources only others can dream about.

We will be fine.
I find this opinion, which is quite mainstream around here, quite ridiculous. We've been spending close to our means for three and a half seasons, and the sum of our accomplishments is scraping a fourth place in the league and an FA Cup.

There's absolutely nothing that's happened since the day Sir Alex said farewell that indicates we, as a club, are currently capable of managing our vast resources in a way that lets us compete at the top. Nothing at all. We're completely wasting away our competitive advantages, and to think that it can't disappear before we get our act together as a club is an extremely naive point of view.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

I'm very, very worried at the moment, but you're of course spot on here. Even considering replacing the manager at this stage is silly.

Ban

To clarify, I wasn't calling for his sacking in the OP.

I would give him two seasons, because I don't think there is a good alternative out there.

I do have less faith in him now than at the start though. I thought his last Chelsea season was a blip(and it may very well be), but the results so far have been alarming.
Well I am worried. But we're such a mess overall he needs time to sort it out. If in time it will be obvious he isn't solving it then we can think about getting rid.
I didn't think you were calling for his sacking.

But it's depressing situation, that's for sure.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I find it ridiculous. We've been spending close to our means for three and a half season, and the sum of our accomplishments is scraping a fourth place in the league and an FA Cup.

There's absolutely nothing that's happened since the day Sir Alex said farewell that indicates we, as a club, are currently capable of managing our vast resources in a way that lets us compete at the top. Nothing at all. We're completely wasting away our competitive advantages, and to think that it can't disappear before we get our act together as a club is an extremely naive point of view.
Glazer cut backs over the years in scouting and staff have taken a big toll as well I think. We let too many good players go to other clubs for years. Now its costing us a fortune in fee to get in players.

They tried to squeeze too much out of the club from when they took over.

Now they have to spent all across the board. They are idiots who just got lucky with Sir Alex in charge.

peridigm

So long as we don't get relegated I could honestly give feck all where we finish this season. It's obviously not going to be top4.
All I want to see is that we get rid of Rooney, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, and Fellaini by summer 2017. I probably missed a few others that need to go.
Bring in a proper RB, 2x CBs, a defensive MF, a world class striker, and a young fast winger.

Classical Mechanic

Yes. If it gets that bad we have to sack him but we're not there yet.
I agree that it is far too early. I am very worried about Mourinho though. He is a proper sad sack these days and his record over the past season has been appalling. Remember that Chelsea went on a long unbeaten run after he was sacked and now much the same squad are competing for the title.

togg

I think we have to accept that he has a massive job to do and this is not going to change no matter who people want in. He can't get rid of players now, won't be able to build well in January, so it's best just to realise we are probably going to be mid-table this season. If we miss out on top four, then bloody hell we need to miss out on being punted into the Europa League.

We are stuck with the whole squad, he'll just have to try to make them play as a team, try to instil commitment etc etc etc.

Hed Zitin

Hasn't a clue what our best eleven is. That panic CM we ended up with was something I never expect from one of his sides. He's second guessing himself.

Hopefully he works through it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Liverpool had a patchy form last year. Just like us right now. Klopp had a whole year to make a team of his own and make them play like he wants to.
Yep. Point is, we shouldn't put so much pressure to make him sacrifice trying to build a good side and switch into trying to do something that grinds out results. It's what Van Gaal did and it ended up being a wasted year, because you can't do that when a team has struggled for as long as we have. You end up basically absolutely needing to be among the top and win things, otherwise it's not good enough. If we see improvements in the performances, consistently building into something, and not change our tactic every 2 games, then even if the results aren't great, fans would give more time.

Ban

Yep. Point is, we shouldn't put so much pressure to make him sacrifice trying to build a good side and switch into trying to do something that grinds out results. It's what Van Gaal did and it ended up being a wasted year, because you can't do that when a team has struggled for as long as we have. You end up basically absolutely needing to be among the top and win things, otherwise it's not good enough. If we see improvements in the performances, consistently building into something, and not change our tactic every 2 games, then even if the results aren't great, fans would give more time.
I have seen a bits of some good play. Today we were lousy, against Burnley we were good, we just couldn't score. We play in the same formation and so on. We don't change tactics so much. And we aren't afraid to attack. Today we were toothless and he needs to slap every one of them but hopefully he'll be able to motivate them and make them play for him and for the cause.
I'm maybe crazy but I don't think we've been that bad. I mean we had bad games but as I said I've seen some signs of improvement already.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
My one big worry about Mourinho and us is that Mourinho came from trying to handle a fractured and torn group of players at Chelsea that was down on motivation and that he needed to win over. About the same is the case here, we are damaged goods and so are our players, they need a supreme motivator and spin-doctor, is Mourinho still that guy? I am not certain.

But something I am certain about is that we should stick with him and give him atleast a season and a few transfer windows. It should be a requisite for everyone claiming otherwise to actually provide a list of viable candidates that are gettable in his place, so easy just to toss out "omgz, sack the manager" without actually having an alternative or a plan to back it up.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I agree that it is far too early. I am very worried about Mourinho though. He is a proper sad sack these days and his record over the past season has been appalling. Remember that Chelsea went on a long unbeaten run after he was sacked and now much the same squad are competing for the title.
I do indeed remember all this. I think he was the wrong appointment, as I always have, but I don't see a better plan right now than to cross our fingers and hope things improve. Worry I find understandable. There's a few comments of a 'I give up on him' nature that I wouldn't subscribe to.

The Mad Manc

Conte hasn't taken much time at Chelsea. Nor has Guardiola at City. I'm not saying we should sack him but I'd at least like to see some progress. Right now he's hardly bursting with positivity and still doesn't know what the best XI is. If we don't turn things around soon we will be Chelsea last year and then he won't get the time he needs because the owners will have no choice but to sack him. F*** knows where we go from there