Should Wenger be sacked?

Should Arsenal sack Wenger

• Total voters

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
with Wenger in charge aresenal are all but sure to qualify for the champions league every year, im not sure if the brought in a diffrent manager that would be the case..... so firing him would be a huge risk.

but on the flip side i can't see arsenal winning anything meaningful while he is in charge.

So swings and round about's, would i role the dice if i was on the Arsenal board? probably not

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Why should they sack him when his contract expires this summer? Another thread about him though. Do you love him? ;)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was a bit on 5 live, saying he just doesn't adapt. He plays one way and believes that's the way to play, so it's quite reasonable to expect the same result every year. The Arsenal way isn't going to just suddenly work, unless they buy someone truly world class in a number of areas - which they won't. I don't think he should be sacked, but I don't think he should receive an extension offer.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Probably. I don't really but the argument that things would get drastically worse if Wenger left. If the past few seasons have demonstrated anything, it's that falling outside the top four isn't some sort of death knell which consigns your club to mid-table obscurity.

Chelsea finished 10th last season and will probably win the title this year. We've finished outside the top four two times in the last three years and yet still stand a reasonable chance of getting in. Spurs didn't consolidate a top four spot after 2010 but still get in regularly. At worst, Arsenal would suffer a sort of fate akin to Liverpool, often finishing 6th or 7th. But even Liverpool nearly won the title in 13/14, and have a decent chance at getting CL football this year.

I'd find the faith in Wenger understandable if he'd come dramatically close once or twice (like us with Aguero 2012) and had fallen at the last hurdle but he's basically failed at amassing a late-stage title challenge since the invincibles side. Either they've looked very strong for part of the season, but fallen away only to win their last few games once the pressure was off, or they've started poorly and finished the season strongly when the title was out of reach. Sometimes they just sort of linger in 3rd, occasionally looking like they might challenge when the team in 1st hit poor form, but inevitably finishing 3rd or 4th.

They may lack Chelsea or City's finances but they're a big club and should be competing for, and sometimes winning, the PL. Wenger hasn't done for too long.

Guy Incognito

The Arsenal board aren't fixated on winning the league or Champions League glory, because if they were, Wenger would have been relieved of his duties years ago.

Wenger isn't up to it, his stubbornness known no bounds and he's surrounded himself with a group of pretty boys who present no challenge to his position as manager, thus allowing the mediocrity to continue.

It's embarrassing. Arsenal are embarrassing.
Bingo.

Should he be sacked? Based on other club's expectations, of course. But will he? The board don't see any problems with consecutive top four finishes. The club makes tonnes of money from TV and gate receipts....if anything their owner will want to hold on to Wenger.

They are the most frustrating and boring team to talk about. I don't get why fans would want to pay for a season ticket when they keep seeing the same stuff year in, year out.

GazTheLegend

If I was an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't want wenger sacked.

Alright they haven't won a great deal. But they've always been challenging. And there are NO guarantees that the next man they get could do any better. Surely looking at our problems they must realise the challenge there is in replacing him.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
They just need to tell him that - one way or another - he's leaving this summer. Let him decide how he wants to go.

LouisDanGaal

It depends.

What are the board's objectives? If it's:

1- Top 4, Champions League Last 16, then Wenger is the best man out there.

2- Winning the league, then yeah he should be sacked.

Everyone keeps talking about Wenger needing to be sacked, but what if the board is the entire problem all along? If spending is capped and the status quo is the required, Arsenal could be in an extremely worse position by sacking Wenger and hiring someone else.
I know the board are the ones in charge but in reality the fans objectives should be taken into account too, they're there every week supporting and using up a high proportion of their income to do it. Wenger certainly can't be meeting fans objectives, and by those I mean realistic ones, not the type who want the treble every year.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A manager of his stature shouldn't be sacked. That's ridiculous talk, and doing that trashes all sentiment left in the game.

Should he walk at the end of his tenure? Well, that depends.

1. Will the board massively invest in the team? If so, then sure. Despite the lack of a league title since 2005 he has done impressive work, and the club owe the new stadium to his work. Anyone denying that is blind.

2. Will the board maintain the status quo? If so, then replacing him would slightly improve Arsenal's prospects of winning the league, OR start a slide into top 7 mediocrity.

The fans want him gone but when have the opinions of the fans ever factored into decisions made at the top level? They could boycott games and stop the money flow, but that option is off the table for reasons I will never understand.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Pundits are 40+ old grumpies more similar to old unmarried aunties than fans or business persons. All they need is confirmation they are still young and worthy fans attention, but they are mostly cringeworthy scaremongers.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It’s a tricky situation

No way should he be sacked. But he really needs to think about resigning IMO. But I have thought this for each of the previous few seasons

R'hllor

The problem is relation between Wenger and board. He brings them money so they reward him with really nice contracts. So they rewarding him for something what is important to the board and not fans. In return,board place zero pressure for winning things (fans care about that) on Wenger. Seems Wenger doesnt mind this type of deal between him and board,they all win,except the fans,people actually spending their own hard earned money to support and watch their team.

More and more of their fans complain how only few players comes to them after the match,showing gratitude for their support. Think thats reflection of manager too,not sure he gives a flying feck for the Arsenal fans,same as board.

VP

People treat Arsenal as if it were a provincial club, punching above its weight with every fourth place finish. We're talking about one of the biggest clubs in the world. Just look at their exorbitant ticket prices - forget sacking, there's grounds for arresting Wenger (and the board) for their annual robbery.

I know Arsenal fans tend to get romantic about Wenger but what's the worst that could happen?

MoskvaRed

Wenger should retire gracefully at the end of the season.

As an aside, is there now a second managerial myth developing around Fergie? We have long been used to the lazy analogy with 86-90 as to why every struggling manager deserves time (ignoring both Fergie's outstanding track record before that difficult start at United and the fact that most struggling managers do not turn it around). Now it seems that you must also "be careful what you wish for" as your club might go into a tailspin like United post May 2013. Well, possibly, but then most leading clubs (including, it's reasonable to assume, Arsenal) would not be crazy enough to appoint someone with such limited abilities as David Moyes.

AndyJ1985

He deserves more than an envelope with his p45 in it, but the owners should politely ask him to take a role upstairs, or leave. He's taken them as far as he can.

SteveTheRed

He deserves more than being sacked in Feb, but I think it's time they let him go at the end of the season.

Genuinely think they are better off announcing it now, give the team and manager one last time to have a run at Champions League/FA Cup/very slim chance of the league. Would probably give the fans a boost.

That being said I would quite enjoy Arsenal to win the champions league, get a new manager and completely bomb!

notcool

Supports
a
Just looking a net spend over the last few seasons is a bit unfair. When the owners at Man City came in their net spend was a lot greater than any other team in their first two seasons but that doesn't mean that they should have won the league - they started out with a much worse squad. I think you can make a similar argument for Arsenal. Since they underinvested in the previous years (due to paying off the stadium debt) they have to outspend Chelsea to get on their level.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wenger should retire gracefully at the end of the season.

As an aside, is there now a second managerial myth developing around Fergie? We have long been used to the lazy analogy with 86-90 as to why every struggling manager deserves time (ignoring both Fergie's outstanding track record before that difficult start at United and the fact that most struggling managers do not turn it around). Now it seems that you must also "be careful what you wish for" as your club might go into a tailspin like United post May 2013. Well, possibly, but then most leading clubs (including, it's reasonable to assume, Arsenal) would not be crazy enough to appoint someone with such limited abilities as David Moyes.
The odds are against a new manager coming in and continuing from where things left off in the Premier League. Especially under the constrants at Arsenal.

The stats show that league finish on average is directly proportional to money spent. It's hard to not write off the concerns of some Arsenal fans as delusional. Given the money spent, y'all (not you, them) are performing as expected for the most part.

Oaencha

IMO Wenger has not done enough to be sacked but he hasn't done enough to get another contract extension. He should resign at the end of the season. If Wenger staying causes Sanchez and Ozil to leave, the Arsenal fans will seriously turn on him.

AR87

Just don't give him another contract at the end of the season. His biggest weakness has been how his illogical loyalty and patience in certain players has led to him waiting too long to reinforce and strengthen the squad in the transfer market. That along with shoehorning CMs into his side at all costs has been a major undoing of his in recent years.

Still a good manager, but no longer great and not one capable of delivering major titles, especially in this era of the PL with the level of competition.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
IMO Wenger has not done enough to be sacked but he hasn't done enough to get another contract extension. He should resign at the end of the season. If Wenger staying causes Sanchez and Ozil to leave, the Arsenal fans will seriously turn on him.
Ozil apparently is actually waiting for Wenger to sign a new deal before he commits to a new contract, or so we hear.

Claude Makélélé

So was Conte. Simeone would be good as well.
When Conte started managing Juventus (ranking 7th at the league for 2 previous seasons) it wasn't an one team league at all. But he made it, by winning not 1 but 3 titles consecutively. Of course Allegri then has done a great job in maintaining and improving Juventus's power and dominance.

beergod

No. He needs to go full Eboue and keep that contract rolling forever. How are we going to replace the hole that ArsenalFanTV fills in our lives if he is gone?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The board should "sack" him, but not publically. He should be told he needs to move aside and he shouldnt be offered a new contract. Either they offer him a role upstairs or he retires, either way he should not be manager next season.

notcool

Supports
a
Ozil apparently is actually waiting for Wenger to sign a new deal before he commits to a new contract, or so we hear.
Do you think if a world class manager comes in, he's not gonna sign a new deal out of principle? They'll sit down, Ozil will see what the new manager wants to do and come out feeling excited about the future.

Last edited:

predator

Youth NITK
Crying out for a new manager. I agree it would be harsh to sack him, so better to announce it as him resigning.

Having said that, would Arsenal fan TV produce as much comedy gold without Wenger in charge?

Flying_Heckfish

Quite possible that this is the year they drop out of the top four

That would be a sad way for him to bow out, but really he should have gone after the farce of last season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I wouldn't say sacked - that's pretty harsh for all he's done for the club. Maybe have a conversation, with the result being a resignation/retirement?
It's clear that he's done as much as he can for Arsenal and that they do need a fresh 'start'. Obviously, I don't want them to land a Conte!:D
But to be fair, it might be in their best interests to come out of their comfort zone and go for someone else.

Most of all, I have a lot of sympathy for the fans who seem to be treated as an ATM machine by the club. They deserve better than a yearly top four struggle imho.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ozil according to the quotes attributed to him in Kicker wants clarity regards the managers future before signing a new contract.

Which is perfectly reasonable. Anyone in his position would want to know if a new manager was coming in, then who that would be and what his plans for him and the team are.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Speaking objectively, he should be let go at the end of the season. He's been past it for years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Wow. That's shockingly poor. (Too early in the morning. Can't work out how to quote the below;

F365 said:
His last 22 away matches against the current top six have produced no wins, seven draws and 15 defeats. How long until a record of seven points from a possible 66 is deemed unacceptable? How many times does Arsenal’s soft underbelly have to be pierced before a change comes?