Should Wenger be sacked?

Should Arsenal sack Wenger

• Total voters

Nakhon Phanom

Wenger has been a great manager for Arsenal,winning the Premier League several times,reaching the UEFA Champions League final and numerous FA Cups but he's had his day ! He's not far off 70,for Christs sake ! He's not going to suddenly improve and revolutionize the way English and European football should be played.
He's been overtaken at the top of the pile by younger hungrier coaches.Sad to say,he's a stubborn old man now who doesn't know when to let go.
He should have gone around 2008-09 actually......Arsenal have been in a slow decline since then.His reputation is being badly tarnished staying at the helm when they are slowly going downhill.
Youll find that out at the end of the 2018-19 season when Bournemouth finish above you ! Really there should have been no way back for him after Bayern thrashed Arsenal 10-2 on aggregate......Huddersfield would have put up a better show than that !
But great news for the fans of United,City,Chelsea,Spurs and Liverpool.......;)

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Next season there will be Kroenke out signs instead of Wenger out signs. Suicide by the board this.
We've already started to see Kroenke Out signs and I agree that they'll become more common next year. I doubt it will have much effect. But Usmanov making Kroenke a godfather offer and gaining control of the club is really the only hope for Arsenal to have a team capable of competing for the PL or making a deep run in the Champions League in the next 3-4 years. It won't happen with Wenger in charge for the next two seasons and then the next man will have to pick up the pieces, so that's at least 3-4 years of being a non-factor in the biggest competitions.

While Usmanov has strategically backed Wenger in order to concentrate blame on Kroenke for the club's failings, I am positive that he would sack Wenger in a cocaine heartbeat if he ever got control of the club. He wouldn't be buying the team just to fight for top four and lose 10-2 in the Champions League. Also, he is considerably wealthier than his buddy Abramovich and would surely want to pour some of that fortune into the transfer market - more aggressively than Wenger would feel comfortable with - in order to stick it to Roman and regain the upper hand in the rivalry with Chelsea. Kroenke Out means Wenger Out too.

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

We've already started to see Kroenke Out signs and I agree that they'll become more common next year. I doubt it will have much effect. But Usmanov making Kroenke a godfather offer and gaining control of the club is really the only hope for Arsenal to have a team capable of competing for the PL or making a deep run in the Champions League in the next 3-4 years. It won't happen with Wenger in charge for the next two seasons and then the next man will have to pick up the pieces, so that's at least 3-4 years of being a non-factor in the biggest competitions.

While Usmanov has strategically backed Wenger in order to concentrate blame on Kroenke for the club's failings, I am positive that he would sack Wenger in a cocaine heartbeat if he ever got control of the club. He wouldn't be buying the team just to fight for top four and lose 10-2 in the Champions League. Also, he is considerably wealthier than his buddy Abramovich and would surely want to pour some of that fortune into the transfer market - more aggressively than Wenger would feel comfortable with - in order to stick it to Roman and regain the upper hand in the rivalry with Chelsea. Kroenke Out means Wenger Out too.
Why did Kroenke turn down Usmanov's offer? Looked a good deal to me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Why did Kroenke turn down Usmanov's offer? Looked a good deal to me.
Abramovich owns Chelsea like a cocaine snorting mobster owns a Ferrari.

Kroenke owns Arsenal like an accountant buying a Van Gogh to stick it in a sealed warehouse just to appreciate in value and never be seen by the public.

DannyDee

Abramovich owns Chelsea like a cocaine snorting mobster owns a Ferrari.

Kroenke owns Arsenal like an accountant buying a Van Gogh to stick it in a sealed warehouse just to appreciate in value and never be seen by the public.
Pretty much, Kroenke owns sports teams as part of the prestige attached to it. It is probably the most prestigious sports team he owns along with now owning an NFL team in a major market.

When you are as rich as these guys, how many things can you buy that really separate yourself from your peers? Especially if you are a non-creative or innovative person (like a Gates/Jobs or Spielberg/Lucas). Yes, it is crazy to think billionaire's want to one-up their peers to this extent with vanity purchases like this as if billionaires doesn't distinguish you enough. But, there are almost 1,800 billionaires in the world, there are very few people who own a historic EPL team (maybe 3 or 4 like Kroenke, Glazers, Henry), how many people own a historic Jackson Pollack Collection (Geffen), or own an NFL franchise (32). It's basically bragging rights within the circle you constantly see each other in and a subtle form of one upmanship. Kroenke and Abramovich both have massive egos, but how they show it with their respective purchases are different. Malcolm Glazer was actually a decent middle-ground between the two. Without his sports clubs, Kroenke is basically a guy who married a Walmart heir and a property developer

Malcolm Gladwell had a great piece on this a few years ago for Grantland.

http://grantland.com/features/psychic-benefits-nba-lockout/

mancan92

Arsenal winning the fact cup was one of the best things to happen it means arsene won't take any criticism on board and will most likely act do the same cocky, stubborn man we love.

Alabaster Codify7

Loving this, Arsene signs new contract; Sanchez blatantly leaving; Arsene signs Nigerian striker for £7million; the cycle continues...

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Loving this, Arsene signs new contract; Sanchez blatantly leaving; Arsene signs Nigerian striker for £7million; the cycle continues...
I think Arsenal will spend big again this window. Won't be surprised if they spend approx 100mil net, even if they lose Sanchez.

Oldyella

I think Arsenal will spend big again this window. Won't be surprised if they spend approx 100mil net, even if they lose Sanchez.
Crazy to say, but is that considered big now? Utd, City and possibly Chelsea will all blow that figure out of the water this summer.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Players like Sanchez and Ozil will be wary about going there now though. It's clear that the club has no ambition to win titles, and even if you do well there you are not likely to be able to negotiate a new deal on your terms. It's a graveyard.

FacerTheRed

100m for who though? they don't have enough attraction besides being a London club to bring in world class players. They got no champions league and Wenger is staying for another two seasons. Europa is gonna ruin that club, especially now he's sticking around.

Robertd0803

100m for who though? they don't have enough attraction besides being a London club to bring in world class players. They got no champions league and Wenger is staying for another two seasons. Europa is gonna ruin that club, especially now he's sticking around.
^^^^^^
This.

*EDIT* Original post is a little short to be fair. So for a more thoughtful answer, I can see the Europa League causing them massive issues. All the uncertaintly around Wenger cant have helped possible transfers either, similar to Renato Sanches with us last summer.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Players like Sanchez and Ozil will be wary about going there now though. It's clear that the club has no ambition to win titles, and even if you do well there you are not likely to be able to negotiate a new deal on your terms. It's a graveyard.
I think they do have ambition to win titles. All of the top 6 do. I don't get the idea that failure equates to lack of intent. Did United and City set out to win the league this season? Of course they did.

The whole Arsenal narrative is overblown. It's a club talked down beyond compare. It's not a football graveyard. It's not a disaster club. In fact, the prevailing narrative is a product of online muppetry and uber-fandom that simply didn't exist 10/15 years ago.

The nature of football discourse has changed so significantly that people have lost sight of certain qualities that still have value but aren't given appropriate credence.

In short, this whole story is a tale of modernity. It's guff.

Ole90+3

I personally think Wenger will bin off the Europa and play the kids.

He will focus on top 4.
With our success in the tournament this season, you'd think that other manager's would take note.

There's not a chance Arsenal will compete for the title next season if one of Sanchez or Ozil leaves, and much less likely to obtain top 4 without them. Arsenal tend to have relative success in knockout competitions under Wenger; they'd be best aiming for EL success for their more likely opportunity of CL football.

AXVnee7

I personally think Wenger will bin off the Europa and play the kids.

He will focus on top 4.
That would be a big mistake. There's a fair amount of conjecture on my part but going into next season I don't think Arsenal will have bought the sufficient quality to compete for the top 4 whereas the other teams will strengthen significantly. Either way the top 4 has become a top 6, and all are within touching distance of each other. 2 teams are guaranteed to miss out, and as things stand Arsenal are likely to be one of those teams. Even if Arsenal have a good summer, they still have to take the Europa seriously. If they finish outside the CL for 2 years in a row then it's catastrophic.

R'hllor

Its just amazing,Wenger and board just dont give a shit,they playing their money grabbing game and fans can just sit and watch. You ask Wenger if he feels sorry for those Arsenal fans for paying most expensive tickets in universe,nope,they are all peasants for him,after all,why should he,he is in Kroenke team.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Robbie has probably gone out and bought himself a new rolls.

Angelinho

Excellent news - good to hear than Arsenal Fan TV's future is secured for another two years.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Wenger was never leaving. This was evident for a long time throughout the season. It was just a matter of when the new contract would be announced.

They are two important entities at Arsenal. Arsene and the board. Neither wants the relationship to end. None of the them gives a damn about what the fans think and they are simply an irritating inconvenience.

I dont necessarily think this is Arsene's last contract at the club either
Irrespective of results.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Stan Kroenke said: “Our ambition is to win the Premier League and other major trophies in Europe. It’s what the fans, players, staff, manager and board expect and we won’t rest until that is achieved. Arsène is the best person to help us make that happen. He has a fantastic track record and has our full backing.”

Ivan said: “There is no complacency anywhere at this club. Our goal is to compete for and win trophies here and in Europe. Everything we do is designed to make that happen and we will be working hard on and off the pitch this summer to improve and make a strong challenge next season. The club has grown beyond recognition in every aspect in recent years and we have the platform to be successful and meet the ambitions we and our fans share.”

Hmm.

cyberman

Arsene will never leave Arsenal as long as he's healthy
Two years means next season doesn't really matter to him. As long as Arsenal get top 4 before he signs his next contract and tells us its progress then he'll stay.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
There is of course clear and obvious evidence that all those that want Wenger gone from Arsenal are wrong, its the fact they share the same opinion as Piers Morgan.....

Djemba-Djemba

Can't see this being anything other than disastrous for Arsenal long term.

They didn't make top 4 this season and I don't think they'll make it next season either. It's a slippery slope.