Since Sir Alex retired, who have been our best/worst transfers?

AshRK

Best surely is pogba
worst di Maria.

Not only did we lose money but also time. Had di Maria showed some faith he would have been still here and we would have been fine.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Best : Bailly, Pogba

Worst: Di Maria, Darmian, Memphis, Falcao, Schneidi and Schweini, Mata - (so like Nani/Berbatov, will produce a worldie and world class skill once in a while but overall not good enough), Herrera, Blind, Mkhitaryan
Agree with all those except Mata.

Mata is somewhere in the upper-average tier. Nowhere near worst signings. Since he signed, nobody has scored and assisted more goals for us than him, and it's not even close. His rate of scoring and assisting is pretty much a mirror of the rate he scored and assisted at Chelsea (in the league anyway, his stats in Europe at Chelsea really do boost his numbers) so he did pretty much as expected. The fee was a bit much, but he was a decent signing.

Oh and Herrera. He's having a stinker of a season, but he's been totally solid for us up until the start of 17/18.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A bad acquisition is to acquire at a high price an average player you don't really need (not top priority)

So, I'd say Fellaini, Lindelof and Schneiderlin = around 100 millions

Money should be spent on impact players.

Nucks

RT History Department
Best, Pogba.

Worst, Depay.

It's not even really close, those two are by far the best and worst.

Nucks

RT History Department
De Gea was one of SAF signings

Best I would say when fit Bailly
Worst. Take your pick. Depay, MGS, BFS, Darmian
BFS just broke down, and then lost the trust of the team cause he was off chasing poontang on the womens tennis tour while he rehabbed. When he was healthy, he was comfortably our best CM. I was a bad signing, but not deserving of "worst", cause when he was healthy he was pretty decent for us.

Champagne Football

Agree with all those except Mata.

Mata is somewhere in the upper-average tier. Nowhere near worst signings. Since he signed, nobody has scored and assisted more goals for us than him, and it's not even close. His rate of scoring and assisting is pretty much a mirror of the rate he scored and assisted at Chelsea (in the league anyway, his stats in Europe at Chelsea really do boost his numbers) so he did pretty much as expected. The fee was a bit much, but he was a decent signing.

Oh and Herrera. He's having a stinker of a season, but he's been totally solid for us up until the start of 17/18.
They're very likable players who would look world class at say Barca and who have been brilliant in spurts but when Jose moves them on they'll be remembered in the same bracket as Berbs/Nani/Anderson

Dr. StrangeHate

Bailly was £30m?

I’d say him and if he can fulfil his potential then Martial. Pogba was great but the fee at the time was too much.

I’d say the worst Di Maria and Darmian.

Then you have a lot of average.
Di Maria was a good signing. If mourinho was here then he would have flourished.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They're very likable players who would look world class at say Barca and who have been brilliant in spurts but when Jose moves them on they'll be remembered in the same bracket as Berbs/Nani/Anderson
I think there's quite a bit of space between Berbatov/Nani and Anderson. If Mata is remembered in the same bracket as Nani, that won't be so bad. Nani had a spell of a couple of seasons where he was our best player and was putting up good goals and assist numbers. Mata has been very productive here.

Anderson had way, way more bad games than good here, and spent a great deal of time injured. He's currently on loan playing 2nd division football in Brazil at only 29. I'd say it's a bit harsh to lump Mata and Herrera in with him.

Suedesi

They've all been shocking to be honest, we've bought a bunch of duds. Our best performing players are still DDG, Valencia, Ashley Young and Phil Jones.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Best: Bailly - only 30m (how times have changed, eh!) and he's our best CB

Worst: There's a few contenders, but I'm gonna say Schneiderlin - because we all thought he was THE signing we'd been crying out for for years, a physical presence in the midfield - and he turned out shite.

Champagne Football

I think there's quite a bit of space between Berbatov/Nani and Anderson. If Mata is remembered in the same bracket as Nani, that won't be so bad. Nani had a spell of a couple of seasons where he was our best player and was putting up good goals and assist numbers. Mata has been very productive here.

Anderson had way, way more bad games than good here, and spent a great deal of time injured. He's currently on loan playing 2nd division football in Brazil at only 29. I'd say it's a bit harsh to lump Mata and Herrera in with him.
I guess the hope was Mata was going to be our new Scholes when Davie went to pick him up the helicopter that day. But sadly he turned out to be more Johan Cabaye than Scholes apart from some wonderful moments.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Pogba is by far the best. Even that hasn’t been consistently brilliant, but he’s quite clearly our best player.

I’d go with Di Maria as top flop. Depay was a bag of gash, but Di Maria was just an embarrassment. I’d like to think things would have been different had Jose bought Di Maria, but obviously that opinion is now becoming invalid.

AndyJ1985

BFS just broke down, and then lost the trust of the team cause he was off chasing poontang on the womens tennis tour while he rehabbed. When he was healthy, he was comfortably our best CM. I was a bad signing, but not deserving of "worst", cause when he was healthy he was pretty decent for us.
Schweinsteiger was never our best CM. You must have us confused with Bayern.

Sanchez7

Best:

Pogba: 95 million
Bailly: 38 million
Zlatan: Free
Martial: 55 million
Rooney out

Worst:

Fellaini: 30 million
Schniderlin: 30 million
Darmian: 16 million
Schweinstiger: 8 million

ReallyUSA

Best: Pogba, Bailly, and Romelu
Worst: Di Maria, Falcao, Darmain, and Memphis.

Robbyb03

Best signing was Zlatan as he cost us nothing in transfer fees and he helped bring back a slight swagger to Old Trafford that went missing under Moyes and LVG.

Worst signing was Fellaini. It was a panic buy, we paid more than his release clause earlier in the summer, and it set us down the wrong path with transfers.

CA_vampire

Best: Pogba: 95 million
Best value for money: Matic: 40 million, Rojo: 16 million
Worst: Mkhitaryan: 40 million, Depay: 30 milllion, Schniderlin: 30 million, Schweinstiger: 8 million

bumbumbum

Maybe I know sod all about football but apart from Mata there isn't anybody on the list I wasn't happy about us signing at the time, some work, some don't, thats just how it is, if we'd been more successful most would've been great buys.
Yep, easy to be smart afterwards. Player X joins - caf: excited we finally get proper [insert position], 1 poor season from X later - caf: always knew he was a bum.

Archi

Zlatan was our real POTY. Herrera had a good season but the only reason he picked up that award was because Zlatan wasn’t in attendance. They thought he was finished at United.

How has Martial been a success exactly? He was rubbish last season and is barely doing any better this season aside from a few goals against tired opposition when we’re 3 or 4 goals up. Complete myth of a player.
Ermm are you actually being serious? Martial in his first season was like Zlatan for us last season. And I'm sure this season, until recently, he had the best goal/assist to minutes ratio in the league.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
All of LvG's signings bar Martial and Herrera have turned out to be rubbish. Rojo could be a hit, but I'm waiting for him to reproduce last season's form (which won't happen this season as he's coming back from a bad injury). Notably crap players: di Maria, Falcao, Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger. Not crap but not great: Shaw and Blind.

Moyes signed two OK players in Fellaini and Mata (on balance).

Mourinho has signed well so far except for Mkhitaryan and it remains to be seen with Lindelof.

Actually, Valdes was the worst. What an entitled attitude that useless fecker had. Don't care if it was a free.

Dolf

Best value for money: Blind, Zlatan and Romero.
Best transfer: Bailly

Worst transfer looking back: Depay, simply couldn’t make it at this level but wasn’t a strange transfer at the time.

Worst transfer: Schweinsteiger, career was pretty munch finished when we bought him and still gave him huge wages and expected him to be important for us.

GM K

Best transfer - De Gea, well he was basically a RM player
Worst transfer - Depay
None of the players bought since SAF has been an absolute success, kind of depressing. Even Matic is looking very poor lately.
Matic? I think he has been one of our best players by a mile. A few bad moments or games here and there shouldn't change much. Don't forget that Jose has almost run him into the ground due to our serious depletion in the midfield in the last many weeks. A decline at some point in time is expected. He'll come good.

Needham

Our transfers in:

Lukaku: 80 million
Matic: 40 million
Lindelof: 32 million

Mkhitaryan: 40 million

Depay: 30 milllion
Romero: Free

Di Maria: 67 million
Shaw: 30 million
Herrera: 30 million
Rojo: 16 million
Blind: 16 million

Mata: 40 milion
Looking through that lot is it them or is it us?

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Lukaku: ok
Matic: ok
Lindelof: average

Pogba: average
Mkhitaryan: average
Bailly: ok
Zlatan: Ok

Martial: ok
Depay: horrible
Schniderlin: horrible
Darmian: horrible
Romero: Ok
Schweinstiger: horrible

Di Maria: horrible
Shaw: average
Herrera: ok
Rojo: average
Blind: average

Mata: ok
Fellaini: horrible

8 of the 20 players I’m happy with, the rest I either don’t care about/where pointless.

Craig Ward

Our transfers in:

Lukaku: 80 million
Matic: 40 million
Lindelof: 32 million

Mkhitaryan: 40 million

Depay: 30 milllion
Romero: Free

Di Maria: 67 million
Shaw: 30 million
Herrera: 30 million
Rojo: 16 million
Blind: 16 million

Mata: 40 milion
Best = Lukaku (closely followed by Matic)
Worst = Sanchez (based on form thus far) - "closely followed by fellaini)

Some absolute nonsense we have signed to be honest. Our transition over the last 4 seasons has been very very average.

Likes of Depay, Darmian, Schniderlin, Herrera, Miki we're so good at previous clubs and just didn't/haven't cut it here.

Still waiting to see the best of a lot of our signings while others have just bombed.

Still have many players to ship out

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I know prices have gone mad and everything but it still amazes me. We've spent roughly £70m this summer and the feeling is there'll be at least another £100m to go yet, at the very least.

How often did we even spend £70m in one window under SAF?

2007 window must've come close. Nani Anderson were around £35-40m combined. And then Hargreaves was about £18m. Tevez loan.

wolvored

I know prices have gone mad and everything but it still amazes me. We've spent roughly £70m this summer and the feeling is there'll be at least another £100m to go yet, at the very least.

How often did we even spend £70m in one window under SAF?

2007 window must've come close. Nani Anderson were around £35-40m combined. And then Hargreaves was about £18m. Tevez loan.
The prices spiraled after the Pogba deal then went into orbit after Neymar. £100 million is the equivalent of £40 million 10 years ago

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Schweinsteiger has to be the most useless. Which is good effort with Depay on there.

Tom Foster

The best, by some kind of default, would have to be Pogba for me. He’s still not done it for us yet, but at least he looks like a United footballer for a fair number of games. And he doesn’t have much competition from the other signings.

As for the worst, we’re spoilt for choice.

In fact, I sometimes think there’s been a conspiracy against us, whereby all the celebs who have hated us over the Fergie years of domination, have got together and somehow ruined the club with a string of abysmal transfers.

Anyway, my vote would go to Darmian.

Cosmik Debris

WORST = Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin and that utter melt Di Maria. Best? Romero would be no.1 at most PL clubs.
Loved big Zlats time at the club as well.