Singing Section One Step Closer

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Interesting point, but I'm pretty sure that under the current regs the authorities could and would block permission for installing them on the basis that they would encourage standing. Which they obviously would.

But surely now with all the standing going on anyway the safety measure of ordinary seats are actually more of a danger.

Liam147

On Probation
But surely now with all the standing going on anyway the safety measure of ordinary seats are actually more of a danger.
Standing is more dangerous now, yes. How many stories have you heard (or perhaps experienced yourself) when people are wildly celebrating a goal, and they've either cut their shins on the seat in front or fallen down a row (or several)? All it takes at the moment is to lose your balance for whatever reason and you can easily take a tumble, and land on other people. With the rail bars in front that is impossible. This is why I keep saying 'it's a no brainer'. There are absolutely no reasons not to go for it. I've yet to hear any reason for it not being introduced. Hillsborough isn't a reason either. That wasn't safe standing. That was police inadequacy and poor infrastructure throughout the country's football grounds. Clue's in the title folks.

Sir A1ex

Going back to the link between standing and singing...

Sitting down is a massive imepdement to loud, consistent singing and you'll never get a genuinely good, noisey atmosphere without everybody standing. Everybody who regularly goes to football matches, stands and sings already knows this to be true, but I've seen it disputed by people on the caf. "Why do you have to stand, why can't you just sing anyway" etc.

Well, I witnessed an interesting parallel last night...
I went to see a gig by a band who I've seen two or three times before, and whose songs are big sing-alongs. Although the band do well crafted harmonies, with three members singing etc, they are also quite a "good time" band live, and positively encourage everybody to sing along, holding the mic to the crowd for chorus lines etc. On previous occasions, in standing venues, nobody would hesitate to bellow those chorus lines back to the band, totally unconcerned about our own lack of vocal ability etc.
However, last night's gig was an all-seated affair, billed as an acoustic gig. in reality, it was far from acoustic - electric bass, keyboards, amplified guitar and vocals - the drummer using those brush-drumsticks was about the only concession to keeping things marginally quieter than ususal. But the whole seating thing made it feel very different - better in some ways, as you could really take in what the band were doing and appreciate their talent - but a whole lot more reserved, with relatively polite clapping when they came on etc.
And when it came to the first of those big sing-along lines, the lead singer stopped, waiting for the crowd to take over, only for their to be a murmered, under-the-breath response form the crowd. The singer gave us a jokey "Hey, it's OK to sing along!", and next time round there was slightly more response, but it was nothing like what I'd experienced at other gigs. Ultimately, people just didn't feel able to bellow the lines out while sitting down. I tried my best, but felt suddenly self-conscious in a way I never have in a standing gig, despite having had a couple of pints.

My guess it's that it's a combination of a couple of factors:

1. It's physically hard to sing at full volume while seated. This is why every band or singer you've ever seen (other than the most gentle piano-crooner) and every choir and every bloke at the top of a mosque doing the call to prayer stands up. It's some pretty basic stuff to do with your lungs and that.

2. Sitting down immediately instills a different set of social norms. We associate it with watching a play, being in a classroom or a church (in which, when it's time to sing, everybody stands up) etc. We are brought up to know that you sit down to listen / observe and you should make minimal noise while doing so.

Anyway, as I say, none of this is anything we didn't already know, but I did find the experience of the gig interesting (it was very good by the way).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Letter that will be given to every fan in the Singing Section tomorrow night ...

hp88

Where are the away fans being moved to? Assuming it's east tier 2?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes I think so. Didn't know they were bringing 5000+ fans, they'll drown us out...
Ye it is not ideal actually as the crazy basques will outnumber the singing section by 4 to 1! So hopefully more of Kstand get involved as well

Backrow Singer

Absolutely delighted we've managed to get this far to be honest. Can't wait for tomorrow night now. Hopefully it will be be a special night.

We need those of you in other areas of the ground to do your bit as well though.

SATA

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but which Stand or which area of the stadium is this singing section in? I will definitely do my part when i'm there in December

Robin

I am sure that the fact that there is over 1000 singing United fans in the corner will extend over to the rest of K stand. And Nahealai it was open to season ticket holders to relocate to the singing section, any spaces left were open to members to apply for.

Liam147

On Probation
I am sure that the fact that there is over 1000 singing United fans in the corner will extend over to the rest of K stand. And Nahealai it was open to season ticket holders to relocate to the singing section, any spaces left were open to members to apply for.
I really hope it does. K Stand can be noisy when it wants. If there's noise right next to them I don't see why it won't catch.

And as an aside, no tickets went to members. They all went to ST holders. Does anyone know which block the singing section is? Still haven't picked my ticket up.

hp88

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Everytime I see this thread I think its about you guys singing a Linkin park song!

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's not the first time I've seen that comment. And I do see it myself. Any chance we can have 'Singing Section'?

Heh I scrolled through and saw 2 comments saying that now, hadnt seen them before!

Irwinwastheking

Good luck everyone going tonight. I hope this works a treat and that the thing spreads and grows. I'm sure you're all in for a great night!!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hopefully great performance from fans and players tonight, I have feeling it will be good night.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I can't wait to see how this works out. Hope the atmosphere is electric!

LR7

Can hear them loud and proud on MUTV. Wish I was there!

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Wish I was there, god I hope this idea takes off and the place will be rocking again like it once was.

Moultz

It feels awful to me this singing section.

I love its giving a chance for fans to have a real good night singing along but it seriously sounds like weve got an our own away section in our own ground...

Tbf they are killing it. Aint seen an away following outsing us like our own away section is tonight!

Sir A1ex

It feels awful to me this singing section.

I love its giving a chance for fans to have a real good night singing along but it seriously sounds like weve got an our own away section in our own ground...

Tbf they are killing it. Aint seen an away following outsing us like our own away section is tonight!
Not sure quite what you don't like, but I agree that they sound like out away support.

Anybody in there checking their phone at half time... Keep it up!

Irwinwastheking

Sounded great and it can only spread.

Surely a few more games like this and they'll extend it to 2000 or more.