Sir Alex Ferguson Tribute Thread

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Robin van Persie
"I am really sad to hear that the manager sir Alex is retiring, but I'm really happy I have had the opportunity and the honour to work with him. He is a great manager and above all even a greater person. I have to thank him for an amazing year and for making my dream come true by winning the league. I wish him and his family the very best."

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
What's our best performance under him? The Roma 7-1 is a personal favourite, some of the Football we played in that first half, christ.

Siorac

My personal favourite is still the second leg of the CL semi-final against Juventus. That was a fearsome team (Zidane, Deschamps, Conte, Davids...) they were 2-0 up inside 11 minutes after getting a good 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

And yet we outplayed them, demoralized them and dumped them out deservedly. Roy Keane was superhuman that day.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I'm afraid to watch that video, I don't think I'm ready. It still hasn't properly sunk in and I don't it will until the first pre-season game with him not there. Sunday will be tough to watch that's for sure.

Thanks for everything Sir Alex.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Carlo Ancelotti:

"He's a symbol, a legend and a hero for Manchester United," the Italian wrote in a column for La Gazzetta dello Sport. "But at the same time he's humble, modest and still has the passion of a child in carrying out his work.

"I don't remember the exact moment I met him for the first time, but I know we hit it off immediately. We were adversaries. At times I won and at times he won, but we were never enemies. At the end of each game we'd enjoy a good glass of wine and a laugh. This is the kind of football I like, and that Sir Alex likes as well."

Ancelotti hinted that Sir Alex's longevity has been down to a good relationship with the club's owners and chiefs; something which has brought great success in an era of swift managerial changes.

"No director or president has ever questioned him," he added. "This should be a lesson to those in the world of football, since far too often you find a lack of patience in this environment. Coaches need time to convey their thoughts, to make themselves understood and to give shape to their ideas of the game. Sir Alex had this time."

Moyes clearly has big shoes to fill, but Ancelotti believes the new Red Devils manager simply needs to carry on where his predecessor left off.

"For us coaches, Ferguson's adventure is a model to be followed," he continued. "I think his greatest achievement was transmitting a sense of belonging to the players he guided. Being a part of Manchester United, being a Red Devil, is something that will never fade.

"For once a withdrawn and simple man like him will accept the plaudits. In the end, they're justified. And most importantly, he deserves them."

Hellboy

Carlo Ancelotti:

"He's a symbol, a legend and a hero for Manchester United," the Italian wrote in a column for La Gazzetta dello Sport. "But at the same time he's humble, modest and still has the passion of a child in carrying out his work.

"I don't remember the exact moment I met him for the first time, but I know we hit it off immediately. We were adversaries. At times I won and at times he won, but we were never enemies. At the end of each game we'd enjoy a good glass of wine and a laugh. This is the kind of football I like, and that Sir Alex likes as well."

Ancelotti hinted that Sir Alex's longevity has been down to a good relationship with the club's owners and chiefs; something which has brought great success in an era of swift managerial changes.

"No director or president has ever questioned him," he added. "This should be a lesson to those in the world of football, since far too often you find a lack of patience in this environment. Coaches need time to convey their thoughts, to make themselves understood and to give shape to their ideas of the game. Sir Alex had this time."

Moyes clearly has big shoes to fill, but Ancelotti believes the new Red Devils manager simply needs to carry on where his predecessor left off.

"For us coaches, Ferguson's adventure is a model to be followed," he continued. "I think his greatest achievement was transmitting a sense of belonging to the players he guided. Being a part of Manchester United, being a Red Devil, is something that will never fade.

"For once a withdrawn and simple man like him will accept the plaudits. In the end, they're justified. And most importantly, he deserves them."

Fantastic tribute.

botond

from an arsenal fan on reddit

I hope this is welcome here, but I just wanted to say how exceedingly grateful I am for such a gesture and let you know that you should be proud of your club.
A couple of weeks ago, my younger (17) cousin was killed in a tragic road accident. Her 12-year-old brother was distraught and numb with grief. Nothing we could say or do could get him out of his shell. Even his light-hearted jibes to me about RVP being at a "proper" club lacked heart.
Two days ago, on the very day of the big announcement about Fergie's departure, my uncle answered a phone-call from a gruff Glaswegian voice, asking to speak to his son.
It was the man himself, who, to my United-mad cousin, is akin to a deity. Right up there alongside such mythical figures as Santa and Rob Lewis. He asked my speechless-relative how he coping, how he thought the season had went, who he thought should succeed as United manager and gave him tickets to the final home match of the season, against Swansea.
Ever since his call, my cousin has been star-struck and -more importantly- now seems to be in a much better place and is recovering from the mental trauma of his sister's death. He has come out of his shell and seems more like the care-free, footie-mad boy he was before.
So thanks to United, Sir Alex, and the staff from the very depths of my heart for making a young boy happy again. And to the fans - take pride in following such a classy club.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/1e2fsf/from_an_arsenal_fan_what_a_classy_club/

binary bot
Class. Adds to the insane list of similar instances over the years.

MG

My dad just texted me:

'Always thought he would only leave United carried out in a box! Fergie is the last of the old authoritarian managers, a line stretching back to Chapman, Busby, Jock Stein, Shankly, Paisley and Clough. SAF is the last of that legendary line, we shall never see his like again and football will be the poorer for it. Thanks for the memory Fergie'.

1. I'm shocked my dad managed to text all of that - he is so bloody slow at texting that is truly amazing.
2. :( I feel like crying again now...

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
from an arsenal fan on reddit

I hope this is welcome here, but I just wanted to say how exceedingly grateful I am for such a gesture and let you know that you should be proud of your club.
A couple of weeks ago, my younger (17) cousin was killed in a tragic road accident. Her 12-year-old brother was distraught and numb with grief. Nothing we could say or do could get him out of his shell. Even his light-hearted jibes to me about RVP being at a "proper" club lacked heart.
Two days ago, on the very day of the big announcement about Fergie's departure, my uncle answered a phone-call from a gruff Glaswegian voice, asking to speak to his son.
It was the man himself, who, to my United-mad cousin, is akin to a deity. Right up there alongside such mythical figures as Santa and Rob Lewis. He asked my speechless-relative how he coping, how he thought the season had went, who he thought should succeed as United manager and gave him tickets to the final home match of the season, against Swansea.
Ever since his call, my cousin has been star-struck and -more importantly- now seems to be in a much better place and is recovering from the mental trauma of his sister's death. He has come out of his shell and seems more like the care-free, footie-mad boy he was before.
So thanks to United, Sir Alex, and the staff from the very depths of my heart for making a young boy happy again. And to the fans - take pride in following such a classy club.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/1e2fsf/from_an_arsenal_fan_what_a_classy_club/
Makes you proud.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Just seen the playlist for the match on Facebook:

There will be a guard of honour set to The Impossible Dream before the match :(

No way we're getting through that without a tear being shed.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...s-David-Moyes-to-succeed-at-Manchester-United

Jose Mourinho has backed David Moyes to be a success at Manchester United and admits he was honoured that Sir Alex Ferguson rang him personally to tell him he was retiring.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Mourinho paid tribute to Ferguson, who will step down at Old Trafford at the end of the season after more than 26 years in charge, and admits the landscape of the Premier League will be different without him around.

"When Sir Alex called me to give me the honour of knowing from him his decision, I was surprised and sad," the Real Madrid boss said.

"At the same time, I was happy to feel his emotion, and pride for such an amazing career.

"It will be difficult for me, and I think all managers, to go to Old Trafford and play against Manchester United, without this mythical figure waiting for us.

"I think David is a great choice. I like him as a person, I like his character as a manager. I believe Manchester United will support him, I think he has the qualities to do a good job.

"I wish Sir Alex a happy life, and I wish David a successful career at Old Trafford."

Mourinho was second favourite to take over from Ferguson for a while after Wednesday's announcement, but he said the Old Trafford position was not discussed and he gave another broad hint what his next club will be.

"We are good friends, and my good friends know which club I would like to manage when I finish my work at Real Madrid," Mourinho added.

He was also asked if he would tune in when Ferguson takes charge of his last match at Old Trafford on Sunday, and said: "No, certainly not - no, I don't want to cry!"

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My Way by Elvis Presley is better than Sinatra, imho. It has more emotion because of his life experience.

kps88

Why can't they have such a good playlist every match day! I've been treated to Cheryl Cole and One Direction in the past.

wr8_utd

:'(
"A few months ago he told me that he was going to stay on," Capello told broadcaster Sky Italia. "The news of his retirement really surprised me. I called him and he told me that he decided this way because of excess stress. ... He told me that now he'll go and travel a bit, have fun and see the world with his wife."

Tibs

I'm just so sad about this.

My heart will forever be a little heavier

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Wow, I went away to Minehead Butlins for 4 days and all this happened whilst I was away!

Real shock really, I thought ht would be going for many years yet and thought he would outlast Giggs.

Imo the greatest manager the game has ever seen the EPL wont be the same without him regardless of being a rival, I was only 1 when he joined United so I have no knowledge of the league without him.

It will be an odd season to come.

Ainu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/10/manchester-united-alex-ferguson-david-moyes1

David Conn's tribute. Somehow managed to get in Man Citeh there didn't you David? You utter utter Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
That really is a piss poor article. I mean an absolutely horrible piece of crap. The title alludes to some sort of point, but the content is just a load of random garbage. Look at these gems:

Premier League winners again, with world-class infrastructure, the team a fine blend of age and experience, as Ferguson said in his leaving statement – although the all-round power of Bayern Munich is a swaggering challenge to United's level of investment under the Glazers.
United will not discuss in detail the process of appointing the new manager, but it is odd that Avi Glazer said it was "short" and amounted to accepting a recommendation made by Ferguson himself.
City, and other clubs here, are moving towards a European-style structure with a director of football, or technical director, to oversee sophisticated football operations that can survive a turnover of coaches. In the year that Pep Guardiola was looking for a job, United had a short search, accepting a recommendation by Ferguson of a manager as close to his image as possible, and one without much European experience.
What in the actual feck?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Wow, I went away to Minehead Butlins for 4 days and all this happened whilst I was away!

Real shock really, I thought ht would be going for many years yet and thought he would outlast Giggs.

Imo the greatest manager the game has ever seen the EPL wont be the same without him regardless of being a rival, I was only 1 when he joined United so I have no knowledge of the league without him.

It will be an odd season to come.
Youre telling me. I really and truely wish he had decided not to retire.

Im dreading Sunday.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Class. Adds to the insane list of similar instances over the years.
Bang on, and stuff like that, that he often does, goes unnoticed. I've read alot of tributes for him from Liverpool and Arsenal fans about how they can't stand him as a person, stating he's a horrid person, but they respect his achievements.

Of course he's a stubborn warrior on the sidelines, but outside of football he is a heart warming man, and this is an incredible gesture, but also just one of very many.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
All these videos makes me sad. Thing is he knew how lucky he was to manager Manchester United and he really did treasure every day. That filters down to pretty much all our players past and present too.

As for best performance, Christ, it's impossible to name just one. 7-1 Roma is up there, that Smith goal is one of my favourites of all time. 1-0 win v Chelsea in 2005 was a really superb performance at a time when we were being written off. I think that was Alan Smith's best career performance that day, outstanding.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/10/manchester-united-alex-ferguson-david-moyes1

David Conn's tribute. Somehow managed to get in Man Citeh there didn't you David? You utter utter Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
David Conn said:
City, and other clubs here, are moving towards a European-style structure...
Oh come on now David, you're not giving City enough credit here - they have led the way in developing the structure that European clubs like PSG have been moving towards; "£45 million transfer fee and £250,000 a week? I'll take two. Send the bill to the Club's owner..." :rolleyes:

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
I have just read an extract of a book called "Pointless"; written by Jeff Connor in L'équipe. It gives an insight about East Stirlingshire and tells a little story of when Sir Alex took over and he reigned for 117 days. Suffice to say, it is said that he sack the son-in-law of a director of East Stirlingshire for having gone on holidays with his family. Yup, that is what we all love about Sir Alex.

mustaine

It hit me today, he's leaving.

I remember when I was 16 and got to watch a practice and after we met Fergie. What a great day that was, he was extremely nice to everyone, talked to us for a good while, signed autographs and posed for photos. That season he went on to win the treble by the way... He truly is a legend, a man among boys.

The greatest manager in history has retired, it hurts and I'll miss him.

Have a great retirement Sir Alex. You truly are one of kind.

Giggsforever

I actually managed to get two tickets for the Swansea game, but had to turn them Down becuase I can't get a plane home on sunday night or monday morning.

I really did not understand how much love I had for him until now, not being able to be there on sunday will be hard to take for a long time.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
did anyone manage to correctly guess which one was SAF in that first pic?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
As I was looking at various SAF tribute videos on YouTube I came across this beauty.

Thought it would cheer up the mood in here a tad.