Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm hoping this is just the Glazers trying to make out they have lots of "interested parties" to drive the price up.

See Woodward playbook Number 3....Plant false stories in Media that [Insert Player Name] is attracting interest from "a number of European and Premier League clubs" - end up subsidising their wages to play in 2nd tier of Turkish football
well the article (which has been backed up by The Times) said Glazers were in "exclusive" talks with Apollo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Kieran Maguire thinks it will take a minimum of £4bn, perhaps 5bn for Ratcliffe to entice the Glazers to sell.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Goldbridge is a wanker but his pull of guest speakers can't really be ignored. He has the chief sports writer of the Times speaking on the developments:

Is it just me or he does look like the French waiter in Mr. Bean's Holiday?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Syphoning money out over the years is what they have been doing, hence my use of "cash cow."

They were never it it for a quick turnover or they'd have done it long before now.
Still don't get it I mean at 22m per year it would take 227 years to reach 5b

Woziak

The reason could also be that he tweeted about United after thousands of comments he got “BUY MAN UNITED” in the last days
Elon is not stupid if he thinks it can make him money and the club be used as a huge advertising platform for Tesla worldwide he would be interested he likes to be a brand collector however sir Jim Radcliffe would just be too much of a wet dream if that happened, the guy would change so much and so quickly he’s a born leader and a born winner, my fear is The Glaziers will sell and we will be bought by a state, even the Chinese state or an oil rich state as a play thing.

BCFC

Supports
Bradford City
The glazers are potentially leaving now because for the first time in decades the "revenue" from United has gone in a downward direction. Falling revenues from sponsorship and less matchday revenue are finally starting to hit them where it hurts. The years of mediocre football and poor facilities are finally catching up with them and showing on the balance sheet.

SJR will be banking that he can very rapidly get a big increase in "normal revenue" by being a new broom, attracting more sponsorship and improving the mood about the club. It won't be all plain sailing but the big investment requirements (stadium upgrades etc) can always be set to one side as investment. He will be able to get that graph of operating revenue heading upwards if he is successful and gets the fans onboard.
He tends to priorities reducing fixed costs at first, don't know if he can do that with a football club as there might not be much overlap that he can rationalise.

Infestissumam

the Apollo links are worrying. Yeah, maybe fan pressure can prevent this, given the Epstein links - but the mere fact the Glazers are looking at Apollo shows once again that they don't give a flying feck about the future of the club and fans' feelings. Not surprising obviously, but it'll really sting when they bring in another soulless American company after Ratcliffe, who's pretty much a fan's wet dream for this club, showed interest.

MUFC OK

Feels like something is happening with this.. please..

Let stick together and get behind the protect on Monday.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
That was their dividend alone. Think there's fees that don't get reported too.
Think they were mentioned somewhere, around 25ish million in total on top of the yearly dividends.

I think people are confusing the amount of money they cost United and the amount of money the Glazers pocket

Counterfactual

well the article (which has been backed up by The Times) said Glazers were in "exclusive" talks with Apollo
It's pedantic, I know, but couldn't you construe, "Glazers are in exclusive talks to sell a minority stake in United to US private equity firm Apollo", as ONLY pertaining to the sale of a minority stake? So they could be talking to anyone and everyone about selling the whole club.

Kostov

What's his quote on Fred?
When speaking to The Times about the possibility of taking over United back then, he said: "[Ineos] never wants to be the dumb money in town, never, never. They [United] are in quite a big pickle as a business.

“They haven't got the manager selection right [Ole Gunnar Solskjaer], haven't bought well. They have been the dumb money, which you see with players like Fred." United paid Shakhtar Donetsk around £50m for the Brazilian in 2018.

Newtonius

Mate, me and you are also genuine supporters of the club but I wouldn’t fancy either of us to do a top lvl job at United. Perhaps it’s time we get slightly less sentimental and stop pretending the love for the club is a qualification itself and actually become slightly professional, targeting the best qualified in the business. Neville has shown nothing or even less than that to suggest he’d be anyhow more successful in a top level role at United than in his managerial stint in Spain.
Agreed you would want objectively competent people in charge and Neville has proven to be neither.

Lentwood

Agreed you would want objectively competent people in charge and Neville has proven to be neither.
Neville is too emotionally involved. Strikes me as a decent bloke and a good public speaker but his opinions when it comes to football and United in particular seem to be largely based on outcomes and his general feeling(s) at any given moment.

buchansleftleg

He tends to priorities reducing fixed costs at first, don't know if he can do that with a football club as there might not be much overlap that he can rationalise.
I understand he prefers to use private finance rather than Glazer's approach to not actually paying off the debt they inflicted on the club. I'm sure he'll be able to get better terms for the debt repayment, particularly if its part of a package to also fund the huge investment needed in stadia and facilities. The area around the ground is ripe for much higher quality development than it currently has in terms of commercial and retail opportunities too.

OverratedOpinion

Are you asking why business people try to make money?

I can’t imagine he doesn’t want to make money, unless that part comes when he looks to sell in the future.
Football clubs are a status symbol or an adventure/passion project for billionaires. If the club can wash it's own face then a lot of owners would take that.

A football club of our size would be a terrible investment if you only cared about regular profits. The amount we would cost would earn him more in interest than it would in dividends from the club.

The only way he could make money would be if the clubs value drastically increased and he sold it.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is this guy actually loaded? Like money enough to have us spending like a rich club?
If an owner let's us spend solely from our revenue without taking anything from us and without piling on the debt, we'd have enough money to compete with anyone. We don't need a sugar daddy owner who pumps his own money into the club for transfers. Though yes it must be conceded that if we intend to properly repair Old Trafford and spend big in the transfer market for the next 3-4 years then that's where we might need a bit of external funding.

Banana Republic

When some billionaire’s net wealth is quoted as being “estimated to be worth” £xxx billion, they are talking about the estimated sum total of all their assets. Not the cash they have in the bank.
This will be the estimated value of their stock holdings in various companies, their investments, properties etc, etc.
I’d be very surprised if someone said to be worth £13b or even £20b, had anything close to £1b available out of their personal funds, to buy a football club, unless they liquidated (i.e. cashed in) some of those assets and that’s not a likely scenario.

So how is SJR going to fund a takeover?
You can be sure he won’t have £4b or £5b sitting somewhere, ready to be spent.
Somebody or some entity will provide the dosh and that provider will be owed in some form or other.

As long as the club, as Utd’s balance sheet, are not the one’s owing that money, this time round.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Guarantee we’ll stop hearing about this in a few weeks and it’ll just be like oh yeah that never happened.

lifted

When some billionaire’s net wealth is quoted as being “estimated to be worth” £xxx billion, they are talking about the estimated sum total of all their assets. Not the cash they have in the bank.
This will be the estimated value of their stock holdings in various companies, their investments, properties etc, etc.
I’d be very surprised if someone said to be worth £13b or even £20b, had anything close to £1b available out of their personal funds, to buy a football club, unless they liquidated (i.e. cashed in) some of those assets and that’s not a likely scenario.

So how is SJR going to fund a takeover?
You can be sure he won’t have £4b or £5b sitting somewhere, ready to be spent.
Somebody or some entity will provide the dosh and that provider will be owed in some form or other.

As long as the club, as Utd’s balance sheet, are not the one’s owing that money, this time round.

It would be Ineos buying the club, like with Nice. If they wanted to stump up the cash then I imagine they would do.

Zed 101

I tend to agree this will unfortunately not happen, if there was any scope to the Glazer's selling their cash cow, then we would have been bought by somewhere from the middle east or asia already, props to Jim seems like he is a good guy but if we were available to buy Newcastle would now be a championship team

studs

This is all down to price, and at the end of the day if the Glazers don't get that price this sale won't happen.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeah they took out a massive loan to payfor it and then lumped that debt onto the club, so they've essentially took out hundreds of millions for nothing as they've never been liable to pay it back

Woodward structured the deal, and despite the years of failure under him it remains the worst thing he's ever done.
they pretty much took loan from the club to buy the club...

Alonzo

Looks like we have got the fanbase to destroy anyones social media presence, saw something similar with a load of business owned the Glazers last week.

Everyone got to play a part in this, if you wan't get to the ground get yourself over to a Google review page for one of their hotels.
is there a list of their businesses social media accounts anywhere? Would love to do my bit