Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

JB7

Surely if the ambition is a new (overhaul) stadium and training complex, it would still require a significant outside injection of cash or player purchase power would be affected, right?
If you intend to pay for it up front, yeah, and obviously there is the possibility that a seriously wealthy owner would put those funds up by way of interest free loan as we've seen at other clubs which would be great. Equally, if you're mortgaging the cost then it's different but shouldn't impact the club significantly, because at the moment the club is already losing circa £40-42m a year in dividends and interest payments, so you could theoretically replace those payments with mortgage type payments but actually have something to show for it (for context IIRC Spurs repayments were scheduled to be around £35-37m after building their stadium).

diarm

Right but you're basically agreeing with my point though...they have made £244m from 'running the club', over 17 years which is certainly not to be sniffed at but it's all relative....their multi-billionaires and this is a multi-billion dollar asset. They could have made £244m from sticking £80/90m in a bog-standard index fund in 2005. It's small potatoes in that context - bear in-mind those numbers are split between the various family members.

The majority of the money they have made so far has come from selling shares...which was exactly my point....i.e. selling the club is (and has always been) the most profitable outcome for them unless a major new revenue stream (i.e. the ESL) can be discovered and realised
For sure. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. Just giving some context to your point after you said you weren't sure exactly what they'd taken out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Goldbridge is a wanker but his pull of guest speakers can't really be ignored. He has the chief sports writer of the Times speaking on the developments:

Red Star One

Yeah it'd be awful having a genuine supporter at the top level of the football club.
Mate, me and you are also genuine supporters of the club but I wouldn’t fancy either of us to do a top lvl job at United. Perhaps it’s time we get slightly less sentimental and stop pretending the love for the club is a qualification itself and actually become slightly professional, targeting the best qualified in the business. Neville has shown nothing or even less than that to suggest he’d be anyhow more successful in a top level role at United than in his managerial stint in Spain.

BULB

Don't want to be a drainer and I haven't read the entirety of this thread, but.

1. The club isn't for sale (certainly not for any reasonable price).
2. The minority investment is to upgrade the stadium and training facilities - Arnold says this very clearly in the undercover pub video.
3. If the club was for sale they will sell to the highest bidder, not necessarily Ratcliffe.

Red Star One

CEO: David Beckham
DoF: Gary Neville
Manager: Ole Ole I love you
Technical Director: Fletch
Marketing director: Paul Scholes
Head of Academy: Nicky Butt
Chief Data Scientist: Phil Jones

:drool:
Aye, following our post-SAF experience it’s time for an overhaul, this time let’s try to give too much of a say and influence to our ex players :lol:

BCFC

Supports
Bradford City
That would also be my hope. But it could also be a SAF situation where he alone is calling the shots and there is no scalability to the success.
He is really good at delegating and utilising experts.

INEOS Capital (investment company) is run by him and two other guys (Ginns and Leask). All three of them sit on the governing board off his companies and he makes decisions in unison with them. He doesn't have a dictatorial management style, he's inclusive and runs his businesses in a more startup \ entrepreneurial model.

He does like to gear his investments, but he uses private finance rather than public equity to raise money.

Last edited:

Red Star One

So, obviously Musk wasn't actually interested but could the reason behind his tweet in the first place be because he knew the club is for sale?
The reason could also be that he tweeted about United after thousands of comments he got “BUY MAN UNITED” in the last days

JB7

Mate, me and you are also genuine supporters of the club but I wouldn’t fancy either of us to do a top lvl job at United. Perhaps it’s time we get slightly less sentimental and stop pretending the love for the club is a qualification itself and actually become slightly professional, targeting the best qualified in the business. Neville has shown nothing or even less than that to suggest he’d be anyhow more successful in a top level role at United than in his managerial stint in Spain.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair, but agree to disagree. I responded to your post about having someone like Neville involved, not to suggest that they would be running the show.

cyberman

Goldbridge is a wanker but his pull of guest speakers can't really be ignored. He has the chief sports writer of the Times speaking on the developments:

You can get any of these in since he pays them to appear. Just front the money

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So is it better we get hammered on Monday? Could us beating Pool, fans in ecstasy, positive press all give hope back to American owners?

Last edited:

Marcelinho87

Don't want to be a drainer and I haven't read the entirety of this thread, but.

1. The club isn't for sale (certainly not for any reasonable price).
2. The minority investment is to upgrade the stadium and training facilities - Arnold says this very clearly in the undercover pub video.
3. If the club was for sale they will sell to the highest bidder, not necessarily Ratcliffe.
Ratcliffe would be the highest bidder.

And we know the club as a whole isn't for sale, just the minority but this is a moment we as fans can't let slip, we have to keep pushing and gathering momentum now as this is the first sign of cracks in their armour so to speak.

Brophs

The One and Only

And we know the club as a whole isn't for sale, just the minority but this is a moment we as fans can't let slip, we have to keep pushing and gathering momentum now as this is the first sign of cracks in their armour so to speak.
What, in his history, would suggest he’ll buy a badly run asset, in need of massive capital investment, at the top end of the market?

Shark

@NotShark
Considering he doesn’t pick the team, he doesn’t pick who we we sign, he doesn’t decide how we play, he doesn’t decide how much we spend and he doesn’t hire the sporting director I’m not entirely sure why that’s on him.
I didn't say it's on him, just that he's been here a while and hasn't had any impact on our performances one way or another.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bit worried how the Apollo news links to Ratcliffe's chances of buying us

BackfromtheRed

From what I've read, it was never his intention to pour money into Nice. He wanted to build a self sufficient club that focused on producing players and signing at the right stage rather than going down the route of spending to buy success.
That's pretty much it. FFP would make it pretty difficult anyway (clearly PSG do some questionable accounting) but the aim is to build up the club gradually, fill up the top notch stadium more often and get established at the top end of the table with some European football.

But they don't have to worry about cashflow so much so can be more proactive in the transfer market and take a few more risks buying in players before selling.

Marcelinho87

What, in his history, would suggest he’ll buy a badly run asset, in need of massive capital investment, at the top end of the market?
Nothing.

He is 69 and there is for once a slight opportunity available to own the football club he supports, maybe that is enough to make him want to do this.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is going to take forever to complete and the fanbase needs to have these rats on edge throughout.

If you want to get an idea about what the Glazers think about external pressure or the normies' opinions, watch Succession on HBO. These guys have a thick skin and it's only the money side that will force their hand.

However, with Ratcliffe, there's someone who's arguably better at this game and with rising interest rates and worsening business prospects for the club, this would not allow them to keep refinancing the debt cheaply and paying themselves lunch money every year.

The stage is set but the fans need to push for immediate sale or a binding agreement in a short time frame. Just get the parasites out.

BackfromtheRed

We don't know whether it's for sale. The Glazers aren't likely to openly say so as it just decreases the price.

It's hard to know what thier long term objectives are.

They basically acquired the club for almost nothing. They get some income from it but not a fantastic amount in the scheme of things. They don't seem that interested in the club.

Logically that would imply they would look to cash out at some point and bank the winnings.

The one thing they're good at is looking after thier own interests...

GreatDane

This is going to take forever to complete and the fanbase needs to have these rats on edge throughout.

If you want to get an idea about what the Glazers think about external pressure or the normies' opinions, watch Succession on HBO. These guys have a thick skin and it's only the money side that will force their hand.

However, with Ratcliffe, there's someone who's arguably better at this game and with rising interest rates and worsening business prospects for the club, this would not allow them to keep refinancing the debt cheaply and paying themselves lunch money every year.

The stage is set but the fans need to push for immediate sale or a binding agreement in a short time frame. Just get the parasites out.
Every time I see them it looks like their skin would spontaneously combust if exposed to sunlight.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That does not happen, I know that for fact.(not affiliated with goldbridge just know how that industry works)
Pretty obvious to anyone that doesn't need to state they hate Goldbridge as a preface and watched the interview that the 'payment' here was promoting the guy's new book to 1.5m United fans who may decide to buy the book.

I sometimes wonder if common sense has disappeared from our time.

buchansleftleg

For the people fearing some form of asset stripping. I know very little about these things, but how would this make sense? Isn't this usually done with failing companies and assets? Stripping a football club would only lead to an overproportional loss of value, wouldn't it?
The failing companies get targeted because for a very small investment they can get a foot in the door and then keep the business going. If it is a high turnover business they can then just sell off any less profitable parts of the business, pocket the revenue from that turnover and just not provide any investment back into the business.

A few years ago I had dealing with the Vulture capitalists who took over Comet. It had hit the buffers and needed help so they bought the company for £2 and invested £10m to get the company back up and running - pay off cash debts etc.

They then ran the company for about 7 years, skimming off the profits and then when they saw the writing was back on the wall and they knew they couldn't pay for the Christmas / new Year stock they needed to buy for the upcoming January Sales they pulled the £10m back out of the company pushing it into it's final collapse in November 2012. 7000 staff were made redundant but without proper redundancy pay and they took an estimated £117m out of the company in the 7 years before the receivers started selling off stores to try and recover money to pay the staff.

The glazers are potentially leaving now because for the first time in decades the "revenue" from United has gone in a downward direction. Falling revenues from sponsorship and less matchday revenue are finally starting to hit them where it hurts. The years of mediocre football and poor facilities are finally catching up with them and showing on the balance sheet.

SJR will be banking that he can very rapidly get a big increase in "normal revenue" by being a new broom, attracting more sponsorship and improving the mood about the club. It won't be all plain sailing but the big investment requirements (stadium upgrades etc) can always be set to one side as investment. He will be able to get that graph of operating revenue heading upwards if he is successful and gets the fans onboard.

Lyng

Pretty obvious to anyone that doesn't need to state they hate Goldbridge as a preface and watched the interview that the 'payment' here was promoting the guy's new book to 1.5m United fans who may decide to buy the book.

I sometimes wonder if common sense has disappeared from our time.
For that to be a payment there does need to be the proper pull. He talks shite, but he has a massive audience and thus pull.

buchansleftleg

Bit worried how the Apollo news links to Ratcliffe's chances of buying us
I'm hoping this is just the Glazers trying to make out they have lots of "interested parties" to drive the price up.

See Woodward playbook Number 3....Plant false stories in Media that [Insert Player Name] is attracting interest from "a number of European and Premier League clubs" - end up subsidising their wages to play in 2nd tier of Turkish football