Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year 2022/2023

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bruno making a late claim for this. With Rashford and Martinez out for a while if he puts in a motm performance in the fa cup semi and potentially final he might get my vote.

eire-red

I think unless we have some mega performances from other key players in the run in that mean we lift another trophy or two, it's Rashford all the way.

According to the stats, he has scored 10 game winning deciders in the PL this season. That's insane... Rashford's goals have been worth 30 points to us. I can't remember a decisive season like that since Ronaldo.

Just can't be overlooked.

berbasloth4

Rashford goals makes him a front runner but you can take Rashford out of team we can win, take Martinez Bruno shaw Eriksen varane etc out we win. Take Casemiro out we don’t. Casemiro been our best player this season. They always say one man doesnt make a team but this season it fecking has

berbasloth4

And also people saying Casemiro can’t get it because of the red missed few games. Before the World Cup Rashford may as well not played a few himself

Irwin99

Have to agree that Bruno is making a late claim. He's been very good all season but has put in some really classy performances in the past few weeks.

PSV

Has been Bruno all the way for me and the last few weeks have just emphasized how crazy it would be to give it to anyone else.

I think unless we have some mega performances from other key players in the run in that mean we lift another trophy or two, it's Rashford all the way.

According to the stats, he has scored 10 game winning deciders in the PL this season. That's insane... Rashford's goals have been worth 30 points to us. I can't remember a decisive season like that since Ronaldo.

Just can't be overlooked.
If you don't decide the game you draw, you don't lose.

keithsingleton

1. Rashford
2. Casemiro
3. Bruno
4. Shaw
5. Martinez
Think if Casemiro hadn’t of had his red cards might of pinched it. So Rashford for me.

lex talionis

Rashford, but shouts for Bruno and Casemiro are quite credible. Martinez has been sensational too, but there can only be one winner and it’s Rashford.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Till now it would be Martinez for me but him not being injured changes things.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Bruno is making a late claim for me too.

Casemiro was my default pick, but he's missed too many games. I love Martinez but he is part of a duo with Varane and he will miss plenty of games now too.

It has to be Rashford or Bruno. It's goals vs chance creation. I value them equally so it's a tough pick. I might have to pick Bruno because of his fitness. It's so valuable for the team.

berbasloth4

Yeah, the ones in which he played
for example the easiest one to remember Liverpool. A player skips passed him he stops chasing. He had already had downed his tools at 2-0 down. Versus Newcastle in league all he wanted to do was run about crying and moaning. The Brentford hiding start of the season same again there’s three just off top my head. Pressure and failed. When things are going good he’s amazing but when they aren’t he no where to be seen.

just opinion mate he clearly cares about the club but get too many plaudits I believe

amolbhatia50k

for example the easiest one to remember Liverpool. A player skips passed him he stops chasing. He had already had downed his tools at 2-0 down. Versus Newcastle in league all he wanted to do was run about crying and moaning. The Brentford hiding start of the season same again there’s three just off top my head. Pressure and failed. When things are going good he’s amazing but when they aren’t he no where to be seen.

just opinion mate he clearly cares about the club but get too many plaudits I believe
Good footballers tend to play 60 odd games every season for a decade. They are going to have pressure games they fail in whether it be Messi, Maradona or Fernandes.

The odd anomaly ( as you say happened vs Liverpool ) or few in a long career where he didn’t track his man is human whereas doing that repeatedly / over a prolonged prior is downing tools. But moaning is not downing tools - it’s just his personality. Some moan while others lose quietly.

I don’t think you are sure about the meaning of downing tools. Bruno can be erratic at times but his effort and desire is almost always top level.

HILLSIDE

It's good to know that we have a number of great players in the running and, importantly the keeper, is not one them! First time I think since Fergie. Standup ten Hag!

Ole'sattheWheel

Nice that so many are in the running for the right reasons this year for a change. If we’re being real though it’s Rashford

berbasloth4

Good footballers tend to play 60 odd games every season for a decade. They are going to have pressure games they fail in whether it be Messi, Maradona or Fernandes.

The odd anomaly ( as you say happened vs Liverpool ) or few in a long career where he didn’t track his man is human whereas doing that repeatedly / over a prolonged prior is downing tools. But moaning is not downing tools - it’s just his personality. Some moan while others lose quietly.

I don’t think you are sure about the meaning of downing tools. Bruno can be erratic at times but his effort and desire is almost always top level.
mate Keane and Neville talked in lengths after the game about him down tools. An ex red had came to visit our supporters branch and watch the game and he said the same.

amolbhatia50k

mate Keane and Neville talked in lengths after the game about him down tools. An ex red had came to visit our supporters branch and watch the game and he said the same.
Could you share that clip? I think it’s poor on them if so to spread such misinformation. Bruno has a tendency to lose composure or become hyper erratic but downing tools means the refusal to work / give up. Bruno does not do that.

AlPistacho

Seems like forever, even when we were winning titles under SAF especially in the latter years our POTY was always a no contest. Ronaldo, Rooney, Valencia, RVP, then post SAF de Gea most years, with Bruno and Ronaldo most recently. It’s never really been much of a debate, always one stand out player who’d get 80% plus of the votes, 99% if there was a way to not count people trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.

But this year it’s a proper debate, not between 2 players but arguably 4 or even 5 maybe 6. So who’s your vote for Man Utd player of the year and for this year why do you justify that player above all the other contenders ?

Casemiro, Rashford, Martinez, Varane, Bruno would be my candidates for POTY

I’d give honourable shoutouts to Shaw, AWB, Dalot, Antony if he was playing like he’s playing now for longer parts of the season.

So it’s really difficult many would say Rashford for goals and that is what wins you matches… I’d sway between Casemiro or Martinez. I’d ultimately give it to Casemiro because he is our biggest miss when he’s not playing.

I think Varane is a bit hindered by the fact that his defending is so elite you often don’t realise what his doing, lots of his stuff goes over my head in live matches.

wangyu

My vote goes to Martinez

It feels like a breath of fresh air to watch someone in the back who is calm and faultless on the ball, quick thinking and is useful even bringing the ball forward. He makes crunch tackles when needed. He is also the guy that keeps the team together with positive attitude.

2nd place is for Bruno. He plays everything, gives 100% at all times and he is our main creator and I love his whining, it keeps the team and ref sharp.

3rd My vote goes to Casemiro because he did way more than I anticipated. He creates, he can score but he is mainly a really good presence in midfield. his ball winning ability makes a huge difference.

It feels ridiculous to leave out Rashford but this means we had a lot of players on a high level.

AlPistacho

My vote goes to Martinez

It feels like a breath of fresh air to watch someone in the back who is calm and faultless on the ball, quick thinking and is useful even bringing the ball forward. He makes crunch tackles when needed. He is also the guy that keeps the team together with positive attitude.

2nd place is for Bruno. He plays everything, gives 100% at all times and he is our main creator

3rd My vote goes to Casemiro because he did way more than I anticipated. He creates, he can score but he is mainly a really good presence in midfield

It feels ridiculous to leave out Rashford but this means we had a lot of players on a high level.
I was actually thinking about that during a match he took the ball and played a lovely forward pass. The nickname “The Butcher” really gives the wrong perfection of him as a defender. Yeah he’s a fighter and has grit but there’s so much more to him as a player and even his defending

wangyu

The graceful butcher. If Lisandro is a butcher then Keane was a meat cleaver.

Lost bear

Seems like forever, even when we were winning titles under SAF especially in the latter years our POTY was always a no contest. Ronaldo, Rooney, Valencia, RVP, then post SAF de Gea most years, with Bruno and Ronaldo most recently. It’s never really been much of a debate, always one stand out player who’d get 80% plus of the votes, 99% if there was a way to not count people trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.

But this year it’s a proper debate, not between 2 players but arguably 4 or even 5 maybe 6. So who’s your vote for Man Utd player of the year and for this year why do you justify that player above all the other contenders ?

I’d give honourable shoutouts to Shaw, AWB, Dalot, Antony if he was playing like he’s playing now for longer parts of the season.

So it’s really difficult many would say Rashford for goals and that is what wins you matches… I’d sway between Casemiro or Martinez. I’d ultimately give it to Casemiro because he is our biggest miss when he’s not playing.

I think Varane is a bit hindered by the fact that his defending is so elite you often don’t realise what his doing, lots of his stuff goes over my head in live matches.
Yes, I think you’re right there. A genuine case of ‘silent domination’.

mav_9me

I don't think there actually is much of a debate.

Rashford is clearly the POTS.

Now there have been other outstanding performers. Martinez, Casemiro, Bruno. Even Garnacho.

jm99

I don't think there actually is much of a debate.

Rashford is clearly the POTS.

Now there have been other outstanding performers. Martinez, Casemiro, Bruno. Even Garnacho.
I think there's a good argument for casemiro, he makes more of a difference to the team, I think we'd have had a really poor season if we hadn't signed him.

Though tbf, maybe that's just about the quality of the backup in the position

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
There are solid arguments for all the 5 you mentioned. None of these picks should warrant any huge protests.

Right now it's Bruno for me. He'd have over 20 assist with better strikers and he's a machine fitness wise.

NoPace

Lisandro is probably a better player (early to tell, though I liked him at Ajax) but Rashford has probably been the MVP this year.

Varane and Casemiro also really good, Bruno too but it feels like they have better partners in the sense that Varane has Lisandro and Casemiro near him and the fullbacks have mostly been pretty good, while he hasn't had a striker who can actually get on the end of his through balls and crosses.

Add Eriksen, and it's really clear we have 6 really quality players and then 5 spots not so much, though Antony should get there as he gets closer to his prime and Shaw, while flaky in form, really is a very talented player. The other 3 spots (Striker, Keeper, RB) just aren't at that level. I guess Dalot has a shot and maybe Garnacho could push Rashford into being a #9 if he's good enough to be Argentina's LW, which seems plausible.

Belisarius

You're right that it is a very tough call. The season is still far from over. I think the injuries that will keep them out for the run-in will probably take Martinez and Varane out of contention. That will likely leave it between Rashford, Bruno and Casemiro. If Rashford comes back soon and continues scoring at the same pace to the end of the year then I think he's got to get it. But, if he remains injured for a while longer or continues his scoring slump when he gets back then I think he'll open the door for one of Bruno or Casemiro. Today, I would probably vote for Bruno, but that is likely due to recency bias because he has been so good the last few games. Over, the course of the season Casemiro probably edges it.

But, let's see how they do in April / May. If one of them has a belter against City in the FA Cup final then they could easily still swing my vote. As you say, definitely close.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I thought Casemiro has been our most important player. But Rashford has been the most impressive one.

Baneofthegame

Casemiro for me, most important cog to our team.

Wouldn't complain for anyone saying Martinez/Rashford/Bruno though.

Strats

If this had anything to do with most improved player I’d give it to Wan-Bissaka. His turnaround has been immense.

However, Casemiro it is for me. Despite his few sluggish games and his suspensions he’s been pivotal in bringing us to what we’ve achieved this season.