g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Smalling and Jones

podurban2

They are not good together are they? We really need to sort out the defense in the summer...

Niclas

They don´t bring the best out of each other, that's for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dir Wangem

Smalling should stay. He's got the most important skills down. I can forgive the occasional misplaced pass and lack of creativity.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The defensive shape/positioning has been shambolic this game. Not sure how much of it is due to Smalling & Jones versus coaching but it's definitely something that needs to be sorted out.

LARulz

I'm petty sure they were a good partnership before

Niclas

Smalling should stay. He's got the most important skills down. I can forgive the occasional misplaced pass and lack of creativity.
Kind of agree, how ever he seems to always put other players under pressure as he doesn't really show himself available OR misplacing passes. We always seem to have a bit of a messy build up when he plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raw

Haven't they had quite a few games together this season and looked alright? I guess against a top team they're prone to some really stupid mistakes, especially when there's no support from midfield.

We just miss Bailly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've defended Smalling in the past but he just isn't good enough. His ability on the ball causes so many problems.

Jones I don't rate much but he's shown he can be useful when fit.

Dans

Neither are good enough. How I miss Bailly.

dove

Both of them are Yeovil level, we should have left them there.

Skills

Snitch
Don't get why smallings getting shit. Blocked Alli's shot when Jones lost a regulation header, and now Jones just smashes in an own goal. He's the only one defending competently.

JoaquinJoaquin

How many chances together are these two going to get? Been a complete liability for years.

Kapardin

They are not consistent enough at this level. But we can't have WC players in every position, and we are likely going to buy players for other positions in the summer. So we are stuck with them for another season or two.

Nick7

They do not work. Jones looks half the player he is when Smalling is playing alongside him. I don't know why.

Virror

Smalling is our most experienced CB, but he couldn't even lead a Congaline. The one thing we need the most is a leader in the backline

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We need someone like Godin or Chiellini - a defender with a lot of experience. Play him next to Bailly and we'd be good.

Those two can have their moments but they shit themselves more often than not.

Robaldo

Strange that people are specifying these two when Young and Valencia are playing as wingers and there's no midfield defending them. What a bizarre gameplan...

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Kane is making them look like pub players. Useless.

worcesterred

They are pretty awful but they aren't being protected by the midfield two.

Lawman

Laurel and Hardie blinking shocking. Said a million times on here Jones has football iq of a lamppost and Smalling is like a baby giraffe on ice.

automaticflare

Smalling is dirt

Jones is actually not bad today’s mistake is stupid but been playing well

No surprise Jose has bought bailly and lindelof tho. Don’t think he trusts either of them

izec

Laurel and Hardie blinking shocking. Said a million times on here Jones has football iq of a lamppost and Smalling is like a baby giraffe on ice.
They are unreliable and will cost us time and time again. For every few good games comes an absolute shocker

Kag

They're very good defenders that play regularly in a side that barely concedes goals and doesn't score enough. Go figure. Or go knee jerk.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Schooled by Kane. Both of them having shockers.

I've been complaining about how poor and slow our CB's are on the ball all season. It's really dragging us down as a team.

TBF our midfield today is a shambles as well.