Smalling / SIGNED for Roma

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

Start him next to Maguire. Apart from his inability to pass the ball he’s exactly the CB we need in terms of pace and actual ability to defend.

CM

Can't sell a player who wasn't in the managers plans, who wanted to leave, who had a willing buyer.

:lol::lol::lol:
If there is another team in world football worse at selling players than us I would like to know who they are

Raw

I'd like for him to start for us but I worry if he's going to be unhappy. It seemed like he really loved his time at Roma.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Please stay. Rest of the party can compete with him. We don't give a feck about ball playing skills.

El Zoido

He needs to stay. He can’t possibly be worse than the current lot.
This club has many ways to disappoint. Can’t wait to see the Caf when Smalling plays and goes back to being error-prone. Should be good for a laugh at least.

padzilla

Hipster
Why hasn't he played this season already for us? We really don't know what we are doing.

Kostov

So this is the one to get the best out of our captain Maguire isn't it? If not there's only Fish left from the youth team.

ti vu

Question: who get off the squad if he stay and Ole chooses to use him. You can only register 25 men squad, and with Cavani and Telles, we're 2 men over the limit.

Thiagoal

The ‘ball playing centre back’ rubbish as to being a reason to get rid was always laughable. What usually happens is Harry or Victor play the ball to Pogba and Matic (who then get dispossessed leaving us in terrible trouble). We need centre backs that can defend, win headers and proactively intercept. If we had a Thiago then a ball playing CB may be more important

Water Melon

I believe Ed has not sanctoined deal after Ole's inability to use Maguire properly. We are leaking goals left, right and centre so Woody is not really sure if he needs to invest in defense more as both Maguire and AWB are in horrific form. Keeping Smalling seems to be the safest bet from our CEO. No need to spend more money on defense, Smalling has been with United for years and has had a good season in Rome. Seems like the beginning of the end for Ole.

BigBadKev

I've been one of his biggest (but quiet) critics. The cuddling of opposition players in the box worried me greatly, but assume he's gotten rid of that with VAR. As things stand, he is clearly better than the absolute muppets we have in defence at the moment, so let's embrace him back into the team.

sugar_kane

Start him next to Maguire. Apart from his inability to pass the ball he’s exactly the CB we need in terms of pace and actual ability to defend.
More than that, our insistence in playing out from the back is one of the worst things about us right now. We're shit at it, don't have anywhere near the personnel we need for it, and teams know they can press us into losing possession in our own half which makes it incredibly dangerous. And no matter what, we never fecking stop doing it.

If it stops because Smalling doesn't have the skills set, then that's great news.

Leonzo1

Our situation at the CB position is shambolic and represents the total lack of planning at this club.

We have 8 center backs at the club.
2 from Sir Alex, 1 from LVG, 2 from Mou 1 from Ole and 2 more from the academy. We spent a world record fee last summer for a player not nearly good enough, the same player we refused to give our manager a year prior. We're trying to get rid of Smalling, fine. Maybe I don't agree that he's the one we need to let go but let's put that aside for a moment. The guy has a buyer, wants to leave, not wanted and somehow he'll still be here once the window closes. Then we have Jones and Rojo, 2 players that we awarded with ridiculous new contracts over the past two years with no intentions of playing them.
8 first team CB's from 4 different managers including a world record signing and 3 constantly injured players. And people are surprised we are not bringing in another CB?

WPMUFC

Ole doesnt want him, smalling wants to leave, roma wants him.....how can this fall through? What the actual flap is going on?

The guy is literally training in isolation away from the team for weeks now because a deal was about to be done. flapping christ.

Dudu

Do we reckon the Club or Ole is actually blocking this transfer now?

Rooney1987

Few unpopular opinions on this. After season he had in Italy and the over the top fees for average players, the report bids sound insulting. Lindelof/Bailly aren’t the answer and at this point he’s better then both.

Flairandentertainment

I'd put Smalling in the team. You cant tell me he'd be worse than the rabble were yesterday. At least he puts an effort in, unlike that lazy, over-paid git Pogba.

Zoo

If he’s staying then Ole must do all he can to reintegrate him. This international window is a perfect opportunity.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
It's gotten that bad that we're desperate for a player we loaned out with the intent of selling is likely to stay and instantly become first choice.
My head is in my hands.

Regardless, I hope he does well

Jezpeza

Roma isn't paying?
No they've just lowballed us and waited until deadline day For us to accept the offer. 12m considering he is totally surplus to requirements and the climate plus the savings on his wages was always good money. Thats what he will go for today of he goes

Zen86

The fact this hasn’t been resolved one way or another just shows how bad we are at transfer business. We have a player who we want rid of, who wants to leave, to a club that wants to buy him, and it’s still dragging on to this day.

Idxomer

Good luck to one of the most professional and committed players we've had the last 7 years.

Dempsey19

Regardless of our situation, glad hes gone. The thought of him coming back into the team scared me.

He looked like the most nervous man in the world when the ball was at his feet.

What's amazing though, Phil Jones is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.