Smalling v Lindelof Comparison Thread

evil_geko

You forgot to add their nicknames in that comparison table, Iceman vs Mike, Lindelof is a clear winner there. ;)

davidmichael

I think the time has come for Ole to accept that Lindelof and Maguire can’t play together and it has to be one or the other in team, Lindelof for me is the one that needs to be benched as Maguire brings far more to the team and is also captain.

I know Smalling is the only one with sellable value but I’d simply release Jones and Rojo on free transfers then sell Bailly for a knockdown fee then keep Smalling as he’s actually our best pure defender, he’s a throwback that does what a centre back is meant to do without any frills.

What all of Smalling, Tuanzebe and even Mengi would all bring is pace which is what Maguire needs alongside him so personally I’d go with Smalling alongside Maguire just to go back to basics with our defending and if Tuanzebe shows he’s over his injury problems of last season then slowly put Tuanzebe in as Maguire’s first choice partner.

Smalling will cover Maguire’s lack of pace as pace is one of Smalling’s main attributes and Smalling will also just do the basics of a centre back, Maguire can be the ball playing centre back and bring the ball out whilst Smalling stays back and simply concentrated on nothing more than defending.

Let Mengi slowly come into the first team picture without rushing him but have (fitness permitting) Maguire, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Bailly and Mengi as our centre back options this season then next season move Smalling, Lindelof and Bailly on and bring in another like Upamecano or someone of that type.

Denis79

Even when everyone was praising Lindelof I still felt Smalling was the superior defender. Smalling got a lot of stick undeservingly imo. I agree that Lindelof is better on the ball but in the end his main job is to be a defender and let's be honest, Lindelof is no good at it. His marking is off, he has no aggression, he isnt physically strong and not that fast. This combination puts him in a lot of trouble.

Smalling might be poor on the ball but he's reliable in the air, aggressive and strong enough not to get walked over. I would play Smalling over Lindelof in any game.

Ekeke

Lindelof

+ Younger
+ Runs ball into space out of the backline
+ Every 4 games plays a nice pass into a midfielder in a good position
+ Not Smalling and Jones so receives +100 overhype
- Doesnt seem to enjoy defending. Always backing off instead of challenging for the ball, there is no less aggressive CB than he is
- Starts every season poorly, gets better after christmas. Very inconsistant (or consistant but limited? Only worth playing in 2nd half of seasons?)
- Weak in the air
- Physically weak and can be bullied

Smalling

+ A very good actual defender
+ Good in the air
+ Pace
+ Strength
+ Has actually had seasons where he's among the best CBs in the league hes playing in
+/- Knows how to play around his more limited areas giving the ball to better ball players instead of getting into trouble
- Is either Smalling or Jones so has a -100 hype penalty
- Is now just about the wrong side of 30

arnie_ni

Lindelof is average on the ball. I will never understand where this myth that he is good with it has come from.
He's slightly better than smalling imo, but smalling is a much better defender and the on the ball increase doesnt make up the loss in defending

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Smalling for me would be first choice. I feel he’s actually the best out and our defender. It’s criminal that he’s not in our squad.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t really trust either, honestly. Lindelof always struggles in matches like yesterday with two quick forwards that play on the break. When we sold Blind it was meant to be due to him having similar weaknesses, but in some ways he probably covers himself better than Lindelof. As for Smalling, I don’t think I’ve ever really rated him as highly as many on here do. I think players at United get much better when they’re not playing and being exposed to us as well.

Ekeke

I don’t really trust either, honestly. Lindelof always struggles in matches like yesterday with two quick forwards that play on the break. When we sold Blind it was meant to be due to him having similar weaknesses, but in some ways he probably covers himself better than Lindelof. As for Smalling, I don’t think I’ve ever really rated him as highly as many on here do. I think players at United get much better when they’re not playing and being exposed to us as well.
Blind undoubtably did better at CB for us and since returning to Ajax, but also importantly had far more of an impact on the ball than Lindelof has for us. Blind was sublime playing the ball out of the backline

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Blind undoubtably did better at CB for us and since returning to Ajax, but also importantly had far more of an impact on the ball than Lindelof has for us. Blind was sublime playing the ball out of the backline

Going from Blind to Lindelof and spending something like 30 million euros for the pleasure is a big reason why we are where we are isn’t it. Hiring and firing managers is fine but the club obviously needs an ever present figure to make sure this kind of thing doesn’t keep happening. I’m sure The Sun and Daily Mail will have some bogus DOF articles soon. :(

abkmufc92

One can defend and one is afraid of doing any defending.

How can anyone say Lindelof is better on the ball, all he fecking does with it is take a dozen or so touches of it only to pass to a player directly in front of him who was fecking open for a pass in the first place.

As mentioned in the Lindelof thread, I would take any of our other defenders over him even if they were crippled.

Lindelof is an absolute joke of a player and even calling this idiot a defender is a joke.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There is no comparison defensively and Lindelof being a 'ball player' is a myth. It's ridiculous that we'll be selling Smalling without ever even trying him and Maguire as a partnership.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Smalling is a much better center back and stylistically suits Maguire far better. Its not that close really.

eire-red

Maybe Smalling is better than Lindelof, but that doesn't mean he's the answer either.

Reality is neither are up to the level required. He's been just as big a feature of years of mediocrity as any other player post SAF.

Shimo

Neither Ole nor Southgate have ever shown anything they actually know anything about setting up a good defense. They preach an ideal which to them trumps practicality of football, where defenders actually have to defend. It cost them both big semi-finals because their ball playing defenders can't defend.

This idea of Lindelof being this ball playing defender is a myth. Can't remember ever seeing him under pressure and say, see that is why he needs to play, because he can absorb the press whereas if that was someone else, they'd have lost the ball.

Smalling had he been given a proper chance rather than Lindelof is starting regardless of merit, probably would have comfortably kept his spot until we can actually get a top class CB. He is not the player we need for a club with ambitions but, he is far far better than what we have right now.

JPB

Smalling is the best CB at the club, simple as that. He's one of the best in the league when on form. I love Ole, but the way he's handled Smalling since he came has been the biggest mistake he's made.

hobbers

Missed out Smallings biggest weaknesses there... him having the touch of a sunday pub footballer, no passing range and the tendency to panic on the ball. Which certainly won't be good if he's playing next to AWB with exactly the same tendency.

But yeah, he's still an upgrade on Lindelof.

He's not the answer to our defensive woes, obviously, but he's still a good sticking plaster until we actually sign someone good enough.

Member 113277

Last year was Ole getting his legs under the table. This year needs to be a serious title challenge and already I feel like we’ve blown it - in preparations for the season, transfers and now this result.
One big difference us that Smalling is FAST, compared to both Lindelof and Maguire.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lindelof
  • better on the ball by far
  • better technical abilities
  • better passing
  • better possession play
  • better outside the box
  • play like a midfielder
Smalling
  • better off the ball
  • better physical abilities
  • better defending
  • better in scoring
  • better inside the two boxes
  • play like a defender

At best, both of them can be very good squad players for a top team like United... which we are in name only.
I'm not sure you can stretch "better passing" into 6 different points for Lindelof?

The actual truth is

Lindelof - a bit better passer
Smalling - a lot better in the air, 1 v 1, pacier and at actual defending

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even when everyone was praising Lindelof I still felt Smalling was the superior defender. Smalling got a lot of stick undeservingly imo. I agree that Lindelof is better on the ball but in the end his main job is to be a defender and let's be honest, Lindelof is no good at it. His marking is off, he has no aggression, he isnt physically strong and not that fast. This combination puts him in a lot of trouble.

Smalling might be poor on the ball but he's reliable in the air, aggressive and strong enough not to get walked over. I would play Smalling over Lindelof in any game.

We have Maguire for the passing role, all Smalling has to do it get it to him, a centre mid, or a full back. He doesn't need to do anything fancy, as Lindelof sure doesn't.
What we supposedly gain from Lindelof's "passing ability", we massively get punished for all season with shocking defending.

AshRK

Both are not good enough if you are looking to win championship.

RashyForPM

Lindelof
  • better on the ball by far
  • better technical abilities
  • better passing
  • better possession play
  • better outside the box
  • play like a midfielder
Smalling
  • better off the ball
  • better physical abilities
  • better defending
  • better in scoring
  • better inside the two boxes
  • play like a defender

At best, both of them can be very good squad players for a top team like United... which we are in name only.
As @harms said, you’ve described one decent trait for Lindelof and four for Smalling. All of us can see who should start at present, so why can’t Ole?

devips

Smalling is the best CB at the club, simple as that. He's one of the best in the league when on form. I love Ole, but the way he's handled Smalling since he came has been the biggest mistake he's made.
Exactly this. I like Ole, but I think he needs to evolve more as a manager. Shouldn't have let bias trump his team's best interests.

BlueHaze

Gonna be brutally honest here, neither are good enough for us but I've seen enough of Lindelöf now to give an honest opinion on him and he's the most spineless defender I've ever seen wearing our shirt. A walking blunder and a coward any 1v1 situation with him there's a 50% chance he loses the duel. I'd start Smalling ahead of him at this point. I had massive hopes on Tuanzebe and still do. I believe there is a massive potential in that lad but he's another one that's plagued by injuries which is a god damn shame.

spiriticon

It wouldnt be solid at all but Smalling is better
Why not? I think Maguire and Smalling are both really good defenders.

Sure, Smalling might not be able to ping those forward passes to create chances, but how often does Lindelof do that anyway? Once every few games?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why not? I think Maguire and Smalling are both really good defenders.

Sure, Smalling might not be able to ping those forward passes to create chances, but how often does Lindelof do that anyway? Once every few games?
Because Maguire isnt a really good defender and Smalling is a good one not really good. Maguire is bang average

He'sRaldo

As someone else said in the Lindelof thread, he is regarded as a ball playing CB simply because he's below average defensively so people assume he must have something else to compensate.

Denis79

We have Maguire for the passing role, all Smalling has to do it get it to him, a centre mid, or a full back. He doesn't need to do anything fancy, as Lindelof sure doesn't.
What we supposedly gain from Lindelof's "passing ability", we massively get punished for all season with shocking defending.
It's clear that Lindelof does more damage than good, I won't argue that. I'll be very dissapointed if he's rewarded with a place in the first eleven next game.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's clear that Lindelof does more damage than good, I won't argue that. I'll be very dissapointed if he's rewarded with a place in the first eleven next game.
We've made our bed with Smalling now. And there's no way Bailly, Jones or Rojo come in, they are well out of the picture.
Tuanzebe might have been an answer but can't stay fit.

spiriticon

Because Maguire isnt a really good defender and Smalling is a good one not really good. Maguire is bang average
Hmm well... I think they can be more than the sum of their parts as a partnership.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hmm well... I think they can be more than the sum of their parts as a partnership.
Yes it would be ok, but we would still concede stupid goals like we did against Sevilla for instance, well because thats the type of CBs they are.
Both Leicester did when Maguire was there and we did when Maguire was here and when Smalling was here.
Maguire couldn't organise a defence if he tried and Smalling needs someone next to him to help him with the organisation IMO

Denis79

We've made our bed with Smalling now. And there's no way Bailly, Jones or Rojo come in, they are well out of the picture.
Tuanzebe might have been an answer but can't stay fit.
I guess you're right but still think Lindelof needs to hit our bench. If anything just to mark that his performances have been under par. He keeps costing us goals and nothing is done about it.

Shimo

100% he starts next game, Ole has blindly tied himself to that partnership from day 1, hypocritical of him because he talks so much about fighting for places.