Smalling Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Very happy with how he is going. Suarez is always going to be tricky, regardless of his match fitness, he is doing a great job on him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Really good defensively, still looks suspect with the ball at his feet.

Sam

Outstanding today. Don't think he put a foot wrong.

How SKY thought Evans was better is beggars belief :lol:

Ekeke

Outstanding today. Don't think he put a foot wrong.

How SKY thought Evans was better is beggars belief :lol:
Evans took on more of the Vidic role attacking high balls, and got some height and length on them. Guess that looks better... if you're watching highlights on youtube.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Looked back to the player he was when he first came to Man Utd tonight. He's been a bit jittery late but I think he made two or three mistakes all night. A reminder of what we could have on our hands if we put more faith in the lad and gave him room to grow.

Shark

@NotShark
Surely he has to start over Rio at the weekend? top defender when he's on song. Long may it continue!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Big fan of his at centre-half. He was a lot better with the ball when he first joined too, seems nervous when he's playing it now and invariably gives it away.

Rossa

His distribution was so and so, but overall not too bad. Imo, he was probably our best player out there. The way he just outpaced Sturridge, one of the faster strikers in the league, was something to behold and not something any of our other center backs can do. He is just incredibly quick and also so strong and great in the air. I think he would do very, very well for us if he gets playing time.

Swaters16

Great defensively but his distribution can be dreadful.
His passing is actually somewhat horrific. It just seems to have got much, much worse than when he first joined.
Especially at right back it is really noticeable. Needs some work, considering Evans and Rio (when he actually tries to pass) are two of the best at distribution in the league he could be doing much better.

Swaters16

His distribution was so and so, but overall not too bad. Imo, he was probably our best player out there. The way he just outpaced Sturridge, one of the faster strikers in the league, was something to behold and not something any of our other center backs can do. He is just incredibly quick and also so strong and great in the air. I think he would do very, very well for us if he gets playing time.

I agree with this too, as an athlete his is unparalleled by any of our other centre backs. He is brilliant in the air, tall and strong, but quick as well. Ferdinand should really be phased out so Smalling can get more playing time in his natural position.

Rossa

Pretty sure his distribution can get better, just needs to be given more responsibility and games at CB.

It used to be better, but it wasn't awful yesterday but for that one brainfart that could easily have led to a goal. Seems to overhit and underhit some simple passes at times. Scholes to the rescue there?

francobaresi

Well I think we can all finally put to bed the theory that this guy is a right back. The contrast from Sunday's game to last night's is conclusive

Centre Back only from now on please Mr Moyes

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It used to be better, but it wasn't awful yesterday but for that one brainfart that could easily have led to a goal. Seems to overhit and underhit some simple passes at times. Scholes to the rescue there?

I personally think its just rustiness. Playing at right back can improve your vision of the game and help develop an understanding of how your full back needs to defend but recieving the ball at centre back is a different kettle of fish to being at full back, much more complicated. At full back in the defensive half, you pass forward to the winger, or cut back to defender/midfield. As a CB you have alot more options to pass to once you get it off the goalkeeper, not to mention more risk attached, he just needs to get into the groove of playing there.

Eric'sCollar

Well I think we can all finally put to bed the theory that this guy is a right back. The contrast from Sunday's game to last night's is conclusive

Centre Back only from now on please Mr Moyes
I don't think it was ever a theory. He is a CB, no one has ever doubted that, it's just he has been forced on occasions to fill in at RB.

Rossa

I personally think its just rustiness. Playing at right back can improve your vision of the game and help develop an understanding of how your full back needs to defend but recieving the ball at centre back is a different kettle of fish to being at full back, much more complicated. At full back in the defensive half, you pass forward to the winger, or cut back to defender/midfield. As a CB you have alot more options to pass to once you get it off the goalkeeper, not to mention more risk attached, he just needs to get into the groove of playing there.

This.

Good post, mate!

Coxy

Drop Ferdinand and get playing Smalling every game - he really needs to be playing at his age - look at Varane, Nastasic etc - a lot younger than him but playing each week.

Rossa

Drop Ferdinand and get playing Smalling every game - he really needs to be playing at his age - look at Varane, Nastasic etc - a lot younger than him but playing each week.

And you might argue that Smalling is just as big a talent as both of them. They don't have Rio standing in the way though, who has, despite a recent dip in form, been pretty great.

Rossa

Thought he was decent last night, needs to sharpen up but that'll come with games.

Only decent? Our best player, imo. He had one horrible pass but was overall great. Evans made far more mistakes than Smalling, but overall they were a good partnership and are arguably the future as they complement each other well. Both were a bit rusty, as was to be expected but defended well.

SirFergie

Only decent? Our best player, imo. He had one horrible pass but was overall great. Evans made far more mistakes than Smalling, but overall they were a good partnership and are arguably the future as they complement each other well. Both were a bit rusty, as was to be expected but defended well.
I wouldn't go that far. I thought Rooney was our best player to be honest. And I also thought Evans was the better of the two on the ball and reading situations and being the "leader" at the back but there we go and yeah they both defended well when required.

Rossa

I wouldn't go that far. I thought Rooney was our best player to be honest. And I also thought Evans was the better of the two on the ball and reading situations and being the "leader" at the back but there we go and yeah they both defended well when required.

Then we obviously disagree ;)

I think Rooney was good, as was Evans, but I thought Smalling was our stand-out player. Rafael was brilliant too. Evans looks more of a leader than Smalling, I'll give you that. As I said, I think they may be the future, unless Jones decides to become the greatest man of all time, as the prophecy reads - and what is it with the banner at Stretford End that has "the Chosen One" with a picture of Moyes and NOT Jones?

Eric'sCollar

Hard to judge who was better, I think it was just a solid partnership, where both complimented each other. If I had to, I would say Evans had a better game but Smalling was great too.

SirFergie

Then we obviously disagree ;)

I think Rooney was good, as was Evans, but I thought Smalling was our stand-out player. Rafael was brilliant too. Evans looks more of a leader than Smalling, I'll give you that. As I said, I think they may be the future, unless Jones decides to become the greatest man of all time, as the prophecy reads - and what is it with the banner at Stretford End that has "the Chosen One" with a picture of Moyes and NOT Jones?
Yeah :lol: but I'm not saying he was poor by any means. Evans impressed me because he's not had any football at all this season and he came in and bar a few mistakes such as the ball over his head, he defended great; stuck with his man, got tight and cleared up when needed. Both of them will get better with games, Evans certainly needs games and it's good that we can stick another 2 defenders in there knowing they're a good partnership.

MoneyMay

Immense pace.

Smalling, Evans, Hernández, and (possibly) Januzaj match comps will be out in a few hours.

SirAF

Ageist
Not a slight on Rio, but I want Smalling (or Evans) to replace him soon. I don't want to see Smalling or Evans' talent go to waste on our bench, they need to play football.

Rossa

Immense pace.

Smalling, Evans, Hernández, and (possibly) Januzaj match comps will be out in a few hours.

He's just such an athlete. If that had been Rio or Vidic, it could have been dangerous. Smalling easily outpaced Sturridge earlier in the match also, and he has held his own against Agbonlahor too.

Yeah :lol: but I'm not saying he was poor by any means. Evans impressed me because he's not had any football at all this season and he came in and bar a few mistakes such as the ball over his head, he defended great; stuck with his man, got tight and cleared up when needed. Both of them will get better with games, Evans certainly needs games and it's good that we can stick another 2 defenders in there knowing they're a good partnership.
No doubt, Evans was very good. Besides a few nervous moments, he played very well. I think Evans and Smalling may be a very good partnership as Evans has the distribution and reading of the game as his best attributes whereas Smalling's best attributes are related to his immense athletic abilities.

MoneyMay

Another solid performance at CB. Would love to see him next to Vidic, if Evans is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.