Smashley Young

Sam

He's just so painfully average. :lol: Villa was his level.

The end where him and Januzaj had the ball in the corner summed it all up. Januzaj keeping the ball with ease, even beating a man with a lovely a move to get into the area. Then you had Young, he could barely keep the ball and in the end tripped over his own feet. He just doesn't have much technical ability, sadly.

zain

Believe
Don't know why so much criticism. He seems like the only player in our team right now, along with Welbeck, willing to run at defenders and try to create something. Admittedly he found himself lost a few times today, but I'd still rather play him over Valencia right now.
He offers pace, and a bit of directness, that we've missed. He seems to be a little more confident, thus even turns etc he's trying are coming off more than they were before. He's got a good shot on him we know, but it's the cutting in from the left on to his right foot which has been his downfall the last couple of years.
Switch him over to the right, and give him a few games, I think some will be pleasantly surprised how much better he might play than Tony V, especially in regards to delivery of crosses. Sounds strange saying that, considering how many assists Valencia had for Rooney around a couple of seasons ago with just crosses to Rooney alone.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I thought he was the only one of our attacking players, until Welbeck came on, that wanted to take the game to Norwich. He created a couple of moments and seems to have got some confidence back.

Still lacks a bit of sheer quality but this version of Young is a decent squad player. Should obviously not be the one we look to for inspiration, like we actually did today pre-Welbeck.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Played fairly well, but still the same old pricks saying he was shit...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't like him, never understood why we bought him in the first place, and I still think he isn't United quality, but he really shouldn't be criticised for today. I hate when people criticise player who was the only one who was trying to push us forward(in the first half while most of our players played like crap except few defenders) and had a few decent moves in the second half too.

Shimo

End of first half I thought funny that Young has been our best attacker. Frustrating end product in the second half but, that will happen from time to time. Just needs to keep his confidence up and keep playing the way he has with a better end product.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I quite like him on the right. You get less of that shitty cutting inside shuffling about from him that he does on the left. Some of his crosses from the right were superb.

EverReddy

Thought his effort was very good today. He also kept up a constant bollocking of the linesman which was quite funny to watch. Good to see him showing some heart.

kps88

I agree he's infinitely better on the right. But with Evra playing the way he is I think Moyes wants him helping out on the left.

DevilRed

I think credit has to go to Moyes for practically reviving Young's career. Been a long time since we've seen him so confident and playing so well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don't think he was bad today, at least he showed variety out on that flank.. it was a far ballsy performance than you see from the likes of Valencia.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone have a clip or gif of his feck up at the end when we were trying to hold up the ball?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Very meh...He's not United quality...Beckham, Kan Kan, Giggs, Ronaldo, Sharpe....Some of the best wingers the game has seen...He has very high standards to live up to....Not his fault he can't

Gaeilge

Very meh...He's not United quality...Beckham, Kan Kan, Giggs, Ronaldo, Sharpe....Some of the best wingers the game has seen...He has very high standards to live up to....Not his fault he can't

True that. He does his best. Unfortunately, Villa was his level - big fish in a small pond and all that jazz.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
True that. He does his best. Unfortunately, Villa was his level - big fish in a small pond and all that jazz.

Indeed...Thats what I'm saying. I used to criticise him the whole time...But now, I think of Giggs, Sharpe, Kan Kan, Becks, Ronaldo and even bloody Blomqvist were exciting and great wingers...Young has to live up to that and it's an impossible job. They are the standards he has to live up to. Not his fault. Just not of the same quality

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't know why so much criticism. He seems like the only player in our team right now, along with Welbeck, willing to run at defenders and try to create something. Admittedly he found himself lost a few times today, but I'd still rather play him over Valencia right now.
He offers pace, and a bit of directness, that we've missed. He seems to be a little more confident, thus even turns etc he's trying are coming off more than they were before. He's got a good shot on him we know, but it's the cutting in from the left on to his right foot which has been his downfall the last couple of years.
Switch him over to the right, and give him a few games, I think some will be pleasantly surprised how much better he might play than Tony V, especially in regards to delivery of crosses. Sounds strange saying that, considering how many assists Valencia had for Rooney around a couple of seasons ago with just crosses to Rooney alone.
Basically because he fails every time. These two goals are a wolf in sheep clothing. Without them he wouldn't be playing. Now he's playing and there's nothing going on. His passing is poor. His crosses are always high, he's incapable of passing anywhere but to the far post.

We might have been defensively solid on the right flank today but that was because attackingly I don't think we've had a worse right back/right winger combo.

Let's face it. These two wins now in a row were flukes. De Gea has played a big part in those victories as well as defensive mistakes from the opposition.

What matters most are the points but Young is nothing more than some paint over a crack.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I don't like to see both him and Valencia in the side together but when we select one of them in the side alongside a more attacking player on the opposite flank then it adds a vital balance to the side. You could see a key example of that today with Ashley switching to the left to help shield Evra who was getting double teamed because of Kagawa's reluctance to track the left back when used as a wide player on the left and to stay in that position when defensively required to.

He deserves credit today despite his erratic crossing( which is worrying as its supposed to be something he is good at) and needs to be encouraged - in a similar fashion to the way the bench were doing today - to take more responsibility for changing things in a game by taking on and beating his FB more often.

A decent performance today.

Gerald G

He was better than Kagawa and all our other attackers except for Welbeck. Was our most forward thinking player. At least he tried to make things happen today. At the moment I would rather Young starting than Kagawa if I'm honest.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What amused me was when he and Januzaj took the short corner...Januzaj made one of their defenders look like an arse, Young tried to do the same and kicked the ball off himself for a Norwich throw :lol:

He's our best 'senior' winger at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm happy for him or depressed that it's got to that point.

zain

Believe
Basically because he fails every time. These two goals are a wolf in sheep clothing. Without them he wouldn't be playing. Now he's playing and there's nothing going on. His passing is poor. His crosses are always high, he's incapable of passing anywhere but to the far post.

We might have been defensively solid on the right flank today but that was because attackingly I don't think we've had a worse right back/right winger combo.

Let's face it. These two wins now in a row were flukes. De Gea has played a big part in those victories as well as defensive mistakes from the opposition.

What matters most are the points but Young is nothing more than some paint over a crack.
Not really.
He's shown through his career he's got one hell of a right foot on him when given the chance.
He's scored those curling efforts in the top corner way too many times for anyone to think those are one-offs.
It's his other side of the game that needs/needed improving.

Snow

Not really.
He's shown through his career he's got one hell of a right foot on him when given the chance.
He's scored those curling efforts in the top corner way too many times for anyone to think those are one-offs.
It's his other side of the game that needs/needed improving.
I didn't mean it like that. I meant it that two goals and good performances in two games look like a good thing but in reality they're not because that means he continues to play when he was almost out of the team (it looked like). He's played 6 games in a row now, 4 them he started. He's just not good enough.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I actually liked Young/Smalling combo when he played in the right. Lacked support from the middle. Till wellbeck came on he lacked any real outlet from his runs on the line. Quality of crossing was inconsistent, but only player who looked like wanting to make things happen.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
His quality of crossing was very consistent. They were all poor.
You can't be referring to the last couple games. He's put in some fabulous balls from the right. Crosses from the left have been pants as usual though.

Swaters16

You can't be referring to the last couple games. He's put in some fabulous balls from the right. Crosses from the left have been pants as usual though.

Exactly. Crossing from the right he actually puts crosses into good areas regularly. He's not a young Giggs or David Beckham but compared to Valencia's attempt at something you might be able to describe at crossing or Evra's "crosses" from deep, he's the best player ever.

psychdelicblues

I didn't mean it like that. I meant it that two goals and good performances in two games look like a good thing but in reality they're not because that means he continues to play when he was almost out of the team (it looked like). He's played 6 games in a row now, 4 them he started. He's just not good enough.
So because you don't like him being any near the first team, you hope he does not score or have decent performances in case he get's a run of games. Probably the worst post in this thread.

buckooo1978

Solid 7/10 yesterday for me and looks like his confidence is returning - looks really fired up and determined to keep his place in the team

kps88

I want to see him playing with Rafael on the right. Would be great to have two people on the same flank who can cross the ball.

Snow

That's rubbish.
No it's not. Not a single cross connected. Passing the ball past the first defender isn't automatically a good cross. I don't know how accurate these stats are but whoscored has him as the poorest passer in our team by a long shot with 67% accuracy. The 2nd worst passer on the pitch, not counting the goalkeepers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No it's not. Not a single cross connected. Passing the ball past the first defender isn't automatically a good cross. I don't know how accurate these stats are but whoscored has him as the poorest passer in our team by a long shot with 67% accuracy. The 2nd worst passer on the pitch, not counting the goalkeepers.

That's because none of them made an effort to get into the box. His crossing was very good.

Snow

So because you don't like him being any near the first team, you hope he does not score or have decent performances in case he get's a run of games. Probably the worst post in this thread.
That's not what I said. I'm not talking about what I want or what I hope. I'm talking hindsight.

Snow

That's because none of them made an effort to get into the box. His crossing was very good.
That doesn't make sense. Why cross into the box if no ones there? That's just wasting possession.

Good crosses create danger or find their teammate. His didn't. Ergo, poor crossing. Same as against Hull. Many of them just go behind the goal.

Snow

Please remind me of a single fabulous cross from the right. I can think of one that connected but even that was too high for Welbeck.