Smashley Young

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
My opinion hasn't changed but what is good to see, is now we are getting what we want from him. He has come in and done well. He is a squad player, we don't need him to come in and win games on his own and be the best winger in the league (ok, there is an argument considering the coin he is on that he should) but we need him to contribute like he has done recently.

Keep it up.

Hannibal

The moment Moyesy said about making changes in near future, almost the same moment Young starting to show glimpses of something more than just being present on the pitch. It's still not enough and still far from his old Villa form but he at least trying to prove something.

Player worthy of playing in Manchester United must show this way of football through almost entire season and the truth is Young failed to achieve that at Old Trafford. People can try and defend him through countless excuses about his unfortunate injury streaks but that won't change the fact that so far he isn't the United material.

If boss shall decide he's staying for more years and in the same time it will mean that United won't pursue finding someone clearly better on his position, it's only going to be honest disappointment from my side.

Don't like sounding cynical and jaded but even Fergie in a longer way failed to inspire him to become a better player and despite recent jaw dropping goals it may be too late for him.

Only on a present moment - Well Done, Ashley Young. Let's see if he can keep going like that in nearest future.
Antonio Valencia had a long spell of poor performances that spanned more than 18 months at a point & no one wanted him out of the club. It's baffling to see the double-standards even from our own fans against Young. What exactly is Young's offence? This is his 3rd season. His first season was very decent. His second was dotted with niggling injuries here & there so i really don't get the obscene criticism.

askabob

Antonio Valencia had a long spell of poor performances that spanned more than 18 months at a point & no one wanted him out of the club. It's baffling to see the double-standards even from our own fans against Young. What exactly is Young's offence? This is his 3rd season. His first season was very decent. His second was dotted with niggling injuries here & there so i really don't get the obscene criticism.
He's a diving wanker is the reason people turned against him.

alastair

ignorant
He's always been a good player with very little confidence for too long at United.

Fair play to Moyes. He's re-creating a player who I thought had no chance to be useful at United again into a really good squad player.

He's never going to be more than that at a top club, but he's showing a lot of heart.

Amir

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. Sell him.
He won't be going anywhere until the end of the season, so we have time to find out whether he is regaining a form that's good enough for United or if he did, indeed, ran out to the pitch at Loftus Road today before going to Old Trafford.

Plugsy

He's a diving wanker is the reason people turned against him.

Nah that's bollocks. Ronaldo even after he "got better" would still fling himself to the ground like someone suffering Hiroshima post-traumatic stress disorder. Januzaj's done it a few times himself. Diving is an excuse people look use for their dislike of him rather than the reason for it.

SirFergie

He's always been a good player with very little confidence for too long at United.

Fair play to Moyes. He's re-creating a player who I thought had no chance to be useful at United again into a really good squad player.

He's never going to be more than that at a top club, but he's showing a lot of heart.
To be honest the effort he puts in has never been in question. He always works hard, tracks back, stays with his runner and so on. It's the quality of what produces going forward I think people have an issue with. Ever since the first half of his first season with us he's not produced anything like that consistently since.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Who do people think will have a better second half to the season: Nani or Young?

Nani is more talented but hasn't performed for a while. He needs to up his game too, otherwise he could be pushed further down the pecking order...

Kag

feck me, he's struck the ball into a net twice and Moyes has "re-created a player." There seems to be this weird trend on here right now whereby people are making massive conclusions on the basis of one match. Valencia, for example, has "been back!" on a fortnightly basis.

Any professional footballer can smack a ball. What Young has to do, and consistently, is advance is all round game, influence and actual technique to an extent in which he is a real asset. At the moment, he has played an hour's worth of Premier League football in about 3 month and still manages to look rather shit, aside from doing something we know he is already good at in striking the ball.

I'm quite certain that we'll be back to square one in the next fortnight, and I really do hope I'm wrong in saying that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's understandable that you don't get it and comparing Young to Valencia is a bit unfair for Antonio who is easily braver and committed in a way greater deal to this club as to football in general than Young who was perhaps more promising talent with PFA young player award from 2009.

Let's just wait on a bit tougher fixtures and then maybe you'll see what is difference between these two players and I assure you that diving has nothing to do about it in your comparison.

Gladiator

Not sure if true but heard Young tends to up his performances when he has something to play for and goes missing the rest of the time. Heard it from a few Villa fans. If that's the case, either it's for the shop window (unlikely) or to salvage his United career. He's a good player but wont ever be more than a squad player unless he can show us something that he hasnt in his time here thus far.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Big time confidence player. He went through a similar run when we first bought him, around the time he hit that ridiculous curling shot against Spurs. That said, I'm sure we will see more of the better side of Young, as he's competing for Brazil.

Salfordlad70

Well done to him but surely he has no future here with us!! I am not having it that the likes of him,Anderson and possibley Nani can ever make a consistent and productive impact on our team. Enough is enough so don't anyone go soft on him eh!

Cina

Looked so much better on the right than on the left. Hopefully he starts there in the next game. Good 2nd half.

Sam

Such a pointless player. Two goals change nothing.

Shouldn't be anywhere near a United team.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Should be playing on the right and is a much better crosser than Valencia.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Put it some excellent balls today... unfortunately for him it seems we've actually forgotten how to attack decent crosses into the box... and we needed hull defenders to show us how to do it.

Eugenius

In an ideal world, he'd be a squad player behind two quality wingers. However on current form of looking likely to create something from the wing the hierachy is

Janujaz[.....], Young, Valencia, Kagawa

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
When he plays on the left, he cuts in and then crosses. This is such a pointless move because with that angle every cross will go deep and to the far post where more than likely no-one will be there.

He needs to either cut in and pass/shoot or play on the right because he's right footed.

Castia

He gets a lot of shit and sometimes rightly so but in his time at United I reckon he's been a better player than Valencia.

Sam

In an ideal world, he'd be a squad player behind two quality wingers. However on current form of looking likely to create something from the wing the hierachy is

Janujaz[.....], Young, Valencia, Kagawa
Either that or still an Aston Villa player. But yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

He set up the winner and was ok today. Following on from two good performances, does he not deserve a bit of a break from the critisms?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
We're at the stage where a decent performance means they're in the team. The wings are a huge concern now and I hope Moyes buys someone in January.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was decent today. Should start the next game, but I'd still sell him in the summer. He's not good enough to be first choice here and apart from little runs like he's on at the moment, he's largely useless. Still, hope he keeps it up I guess.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fair play to him, he has reacted well to criticism and is in good form.

Still a desperately ordinary player though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Young was okay-ish today. He definitely should try more shots than crossing.

If he'll stay away from the injuries he shall prove me wrong and I'll be more than happy to have someone like him in this team.

Moyes indeed has a lot to think about before the upcoming window but at least there's glimpses of good game from underperforming players these days.

No choice but to continue really. Valencia's removed himself from selection and Nani's injured.

His work on the right wing was decent and he did put in some threatening crosses today. I'd keep him there for the next game. When his confidence is on the rise he can be a good asset to the team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well done to him but surely he has no future here with us!! I am not having it that the likes of him,Anderson and possibley Nani can ever make a consistent and productive impact on our team. Enough is enough so don't anyone go soft on him eh!
Mind boggles that people still likened him to Anderson. Young is a very decent squad player.