Smashley Young

Neutral

BTV
I wasn't happy with his signing(felt we should have strengthened elsewhere)...but

24 appearances in the league - 6 goals and 11 assists*, that's pretty damn good.

Everyone has been raving about how brilliant Valencia has been

26 appearances in the league - 4 goals and 14 assists. Not comparing the two players per se, just saying on reflection, Young has had a pretty good debut season.

* I realize a couple of his assists were merely little touches to make the play active, while Rooney scored from free kicks :lol:

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I agree, very good signing and I'm happy what he gives our team, but in defence of Valencia, don't forget he has played 6.5 games at right-back.

His form was crucial in two or three months, he made a huge impact when Nani and Young were not fit and/or didn't perform well. And as you said, a couple of Young's assists were little touches (or dives) when most of Valencia's ones were probably nice crosses.

Neutral

BTV
Yeah like I said...not trying to diss Valencia, just giving people something to measure him against. His injury ruined the momentum he looked to have built up, but still a good season, and comparable to just about any of the other wingers in the league.

We knew before the season started our wingers were our strength, and the trio of Nani, Valencia and Young have proven that to be the fact.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Young is an odd one for me. I just don't particularly rate him. He's a good player but shouldn't be keeping Nani out of the team.

Sure he's always capable of scoring a few goals and will grab some assists but I find his general play in general isn't very good.

The stats stare at me in the face and tell me I'm wrong but that's just how I feel about him when I'm actually watching him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The goal at Blackburn Rovers :drool: (it was this match when he hit with the outside of his foot right ? )
If you're talking about Valencia here and not Young then yes, you're right.

Rossa

I thought he was easily our best player yesterday. It's great to have 3 quality wingers.
Very good yesterday I thought! How great would it be if we could have all fit and in form at the same time and play all three behind Rooney with Young and Nani changing between the middle and the left? Talk about pace and creativity :drool:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
First half I thought he was pretty crap but as seemingly is the norm with Young though he's still capable to scoring very very good goals regardless. Second half he, Smalling and Ferdinand looked like the only ones who really had any hunger and urgency so he gets props for that
Pretty crap? He was the best player on the pitch by a distance in the first half. It was as well as i've ever seen him play though he then faded a bit in the second after he got a knock.

Ash_G

I thought he played really well personally and all the attention on his diving looks like it's made him more determined to prove himself. Need to see more of that on a regular basis. People have a go at his crossing but I think it's good. His and our problem though is the ball in he likes to put in much better attacked by a physical threat than smaller players like Rooney and Hernandez.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was very good last night, showed some admirable fight and hunger in the first half when he was just about everywhere. Some of his delivery was also quality. Good first season and I think he'll improve in the next season.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's really come on towards the end of the season. Was excellent again today, at both creating chances from out wide and coming inside and connecting with Giggs and Rooney.

It'll get lost in the disappointment of the day, but he's starting to look like a pretty decent signing.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Looks a United player, I had my reservations but his work ethic is excellent.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Overall a good first season at United. Started and ended very well, a drop in form in the middle was not helped with him being injured. Hope he has a good Euros.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Has done well for us this season and quite a few of the goals he has scored have been brilliant. He's got a good foot on him and that added goal threat is nice. I hope he does well in the Euros too.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He's an asset because Nani and Valencia are never ever fit and roaring at the same bloody time

Name Changed

weso26
I like him. He works his bollocks off in every game. Even if he is not playing well, he still tries to do the right things.

Cina

He's what I expected him to be. A good squad player for a club of our stature, and overall a good debut season. Way overpaid for him though.

JB7

I like him, wasn't sure how the signing would go but he's been a success so far I'd say.

He's like a better Park Ji Sung.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Barely touched the ball in the 2nd half. Was pretty isolated really. When he got the ball Diarra was on him. Didn't find much space. Okay game.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Yeah he found it hard to get space. One of the few times he was able to turn and run at the defence he put Milner through for his miss, so England need more of that from Young against Sweden.

The White Pele

Yeah he wasn't in the game at all today, barely noticed him.

The one time he did get the ball in space he managed to play Milner in with a good pass though. Will hopefully have more of a chance to shine in the next match.

Leg-End

England in general didn't get the front two involved at all after scoring so really he was feeding on scraps. I think for the Ukraine game with Rooney back he is likely to move into his normal role on the wing and probably be much more effective even if England stay defensive.

Kaos

I'll be honest here and will probably get lashed for this but feck it - I'm not a fan. Sure he was big fish at Villa and he does look like a fancy flair player amongst this dull England lot but in hindsight I don't think £18million on a player on his final contract was worth it for him. He's a good player and probably good enough to warrant being in our squad but I honestly don't think we need him with Nani, Valencia, Park and now Kagawa being able to cover our flanks...makes it seem a little awkward now we've already given him substantial wages on a 5yr contract.

Anyway, I'm cowardly dashing from this thread now.

The White Pele

Yes I hope he doesn't lose his place in the team upon Rooney's return because he's had the difficult job of filling the number 10 role in his absence. He's been a consistent threat on the left for England over the last year or so it would be a shame if it's him that makes way.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I'll be honest here and will probably get lashed for this but feck it - I'm not a fan. Sure he was big fish at Villa and he does look like a fancy flair player amongst this dull England lot but in hindsight I don't think £18million on a player on his final contract was worth it for him. He's a good player and probably good enough to warrant being in our squad but I honestly don't think we need him with Nani, Valencia, Park and now Kagawa being able to cover our flanks...makes it seem a little awkward now we've already given him substantial wages on a 5yr contract.

Anyway, I'm cowardly dashing from this thread now.

Kagawa is an attacking midfielder. Young can play on either flank and cover for Valencia and Nani. He's been a sound investment.

LLMU

to be fair, english front 4 lacked the bite and cohesiveness to attack the french. Players were too isolated each time they get the ball. Young had an ok game in my opinion.

gulli_G

Yes I hope he doesn't lose his place in the team upon Rooney's return because he's had the difficult job of filling the number 10 role in his absence. He's been a consistent threat on the left for England over the last year or so it would be a shame if it's him that makes way.
when rooney comes back the only player that should make way is that shite bag milner with his missed chance.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'd have Young on the right. Is Feo any good at playing behind a striker??

Oxlaid on the left Young on the right. Then when Rooney comes back slot him in behind Welbs.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
When Rooney comes back he can play where Young played today, and he is far superior to Young from the hole. Young can move to the left and Roy could pick anyone he likes on the right(preferably Walcott). Not that bad of a setup.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
When Rooney comes back he can play where Young played today, and he is far superior to Young from the hole. Young can move to the left and Roy could pick anyone he likes on the right(preferably Walcott). Not that bad of a setup.
With Rooney in the hole he almost plays as a late coming box to box (but from attacking midfield to box) midfielder as someone who can dictate the play of the forward 3 and with Gerrard and Parker in behind I think it could be quite useful. He can then always just push up and play as an advanced part of a 4-4-2 as he did well this season with Welbeck.

Of course that is on paper.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Had a poor tournament so far. Passing and dribbling has been off and in general too quiet. Today, he has been mediocre at best too. Whats wrong?