So far this is the best World Cup in memory

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How specifically?
The ads, the money spent on the stadia and being robbed from the people, the focus on twats like Blatter, the way the whole thing is televised.

The tournaments of my youth were mostly about the football and the common fan.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The ads, the money spent on the stadia and being robbed from the people, the focus on twats like Blatter, the way the whole thing is televised.

The tournaments of my youth were mostly about the football and the common fan.
Are you sure? I remember the same issues back in the 70's. I remember how corrupt everyone thought Havelange's time at the head of FIFA was.

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

My first memory was France '98. If it had the knockout stages of 1998 or even 2006 (which I thoroughly enjoyed), this WC would have been my personal favourite. That said, some of the games in the knockout stages were also very, very good: Brazil-Chile, Holland-Mexico, Belgium-USA, Brazil-Colombia, Holland-Costa Rica and of course Germany's drubbing over Brazil in the semis. The final was also excellent.

Then again I always find the Euros to be more exciting than the WC, so take this with a pinch of salt.
Some of those games were ruined by the daytime heat and lack of moments of genuine quality during the games. Holland-Costa rica was a bore fest imo, it would have been a better game had RVP scored and CR forced to attack. A game with free flowing football and quality was the Nigeria-Argentina one. None of the games apart from the group stage ones really lived upto the billing IMO, perhaps lack of a Spain in the latter stages was infact to the tournament's detriment.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Some of those games were ruined by the daytime heat and lack of moments of genuine quality during the games. Holland-Costa rica was a bore fest imo, it would have been a better game had RVP scored and CR forced to attack. A game with free flowing football and quality was the Nigeria-Argentina one. None of the games apart from the group stage ones really lived upto the billing IMO, perhaps lack of a Spain in the latter stages was infact to the tournament's detriment.
Because matches involving Spain at the last two major tournaments have been festivals of joy...

redpersie

Only if Zlatan was playing, this world cup would have been the best of all time.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I've seen a few people mention the lack of quality in the tournament. If I may ask: what the feck is this 'quality' that the majority of us seem to have missed? :confused:

Momochiru

For me a great WC is one that would have memorable moments. There were a few iconic ones when I think about it.

1982 - my first; all I remember are Rossi's goals and Socrates
1986 - all about Maradona - the two goals against England showing both sides of an evil genius
1990 - Matthäus dominating; Scilacci's goals
1994 - Bulgaria's fairytale; Maradona's demise; Baggio dominating the tournament and missing the crucial penalty in the final
1998 and 2002 - due to personal circumstances I barely watched those, so I can't comment
2006 - Zidane's headbutt
2010 - Spain's boring football; definitely the worst WC for me, the only positive thing was Lampard's goal that wasn't - sparking the use of technology to assist the refs
2014 - Suares's bite; Holland destroying Spain; Germany destroying Brazil; Krul's sub

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
For me a great WC is one that would have memorable moments. There were a few iconic ones when I think about it.

2010 - Spain's boring football; definitely the worst WC for me, the only positive thing was Lampard's goal that wasn't - sparking the use of technology to assist the refs
don't forget the vuvuzelas..... . Yeah I know it's part of the local experience but no thanks, I'll pass.

birdy2121

No not for me - Up until the knock out rounds I would say Yes without question. But towards the end of the WC some of the matches were dull esp the final and semi finals were dull and the other a non contest. So when it mattered this WC was not as good as the previous ones. However if Euro 2016 and Russia 2018 match the goals to games ratio of this WC I would be happy, all I hope next time the goals are not as front loaded in proceedings.

saivet

Definitely for me considering 2002 is the first WC I can remember.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Nobody does a montage quite like the Beeb

What a tournament.
Great video.. It's a shame England didn't go further, you guys had an exciting team with Studge and Sterling and genuinely played some colourful football, I'd go as far as saying you deserved more than Uruguay