So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jesus won a lot of goalkicks well and he gave both players a physical tussle, but that was about it. Second half he was dropping deep to find the ball and didn’t really trouble either massively. It was more Martinelli and Saka that were the issues to our defence from a straight scoring perspective

baskinginthesun

Jesus won a lot of goalkicks well and he gave both players a physical tussle, but that was about it. Second half he was dropping deep to find the ball and didn’t really trouble either massively. It was more Martinelli and Saka that were the issues to our defence from a straight scoring perspective
Yep. Saka was definitely more troublesome with his direct running today. But, Jesus was never really a proper threat. Great composure from the both of then again and I liked that they made McTominey celebrate a tackle in the 2nd half. I think that's great attitude and gives encouragement to the rest of the team to get stuck in and do the dirty work.

Dr Foo

Eh, Jesus mangled both of them today.
I was a bit surprised at how good Jesus was at outmuscling both of them from goal kicks today. But Jesus played really well, and they came through a stern test against one of the in form attacks of the league

Rolaholic

It's been a night and day difference having him comandeering the backline compared to Maguire. We're so much more solid at the back.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think I might just want a centre back in January over any other position to guarantee our tactics (and spirit) don't go out the window when we have to rotate.

TsuWave

Need Varane back next to Martinez asap. The other options aren't confidence instilling at all

led_scholes

Need Varane back next to Martinez asap. The other options aren't confidence instilling at all
The drop in quality is astonishing. We really need to sell Maguire, Lindelof and buy a reliable back up who can be decent for 20 matches per year.

davidmichael

How many times have we seen someone looking shakey when playing next to Lindelof ? The drop in quality from Varane and Martinez to Lindelof and Maguire is fecking massive although I’d be surprised if we even managed to bring in half of the £110 million we spent on Lindelof and Maguire if we moved them both on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some people complained about us signing another CB this summer but honestly if we signed yet another next summer as well I wouldn't complain.

Not like anyone would bat an eyelid at either of Maguire or Lindelof being sold and replaced.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some people complained about us signing another CB this summer but honestly if we signed yet another next summer as well I wouldn't complain.

Not like anyone would bat an eyelid at either of Maguire or Lindelof being sold and replaced.
Lindelof could be sold and probably will be. How can we ever sell Maguire though on his wages and with the fee we paid? He's going nowhere sadly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They're our next Rio - Vidic. They both are the base of any of our future success. Kane and Son couldn't get a sniff out of these two.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m more interested in the Varane + Martinez + Casemiro triangle personally. That is the defensive foundation for the rest to play, and Casemiro was a giant in front of the centre halves.

Bwuk

Can say for the first time in a long time we have two of the best CBs in the league.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I've missed having two proper CB's in the starting 11 for so long I almost forgot how good it felt.

finneh

Last night was particularly impressive I thought. Even the subtle elements like Martinez sticking to Kane, meaning anything but a perfect first touch and the ball fell loose.

It's the difference between regaining possession before any threat materialises and ending up with Kane running at you on the edge of the box because you've given him a couple of yards to turn.

In truth I'd forgotten how much a top class central defensive partnership transforms the team, nearly being duped into thinking you need to play Conte style several defensive players to be a solid unit.

norm87cro

Technically i like it very much but the height issue (lack of) is going to bite us in the ass at some point in this league.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Really hope Varane stays fit but Lindelof looks a better player next to Martinez than he does when he plays with a clumsy Maguire.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Technically i like it very much but the height issue (lack of) is going to bite us in the ass at some point in this league.
I wouldn’t be so sure, what Martinez lacks in height he more than makes up for in his ability to read a game.

dinostar77

Maybe not so much but he doesnt have the presence of a Vidic, Stam, Rio, Pallister or Bruce and IMO a lot of the older CAF would agree
He may not have the presence but hes far better technically than any of them other than rio. Football now requires more technically competent CBs.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I take youre swedish? Because Lindelof is S...
I have been to IKEA if that counts? Whilst I agree Lindelof isn't the best, I still have confidence in him when playing next to a commanding aggressive cb to do a job. Varane looked poor next to Maguire.

AndySmith1990

It's taken years and several warchests full of cash but we finally have a very solid defence

Rossa

Maybe not so much but he doesnt have the presence of a Vidic, Stam, Rio, Pallister or Bruce and IMO a lot of the older CAF would agree
What? Varane is absolutely a colossus in the air - I'd say he's stronger in the air than Rio ever was and closer to Vidic. He's taller than both btw. He's also very two-footed and quite smooth on the ball, and at the same time, he's very fast. I wouldn't say he's at their league just yet, but to say he's not great in the air is BS.

Rossa

I have been to IKEA if that counts? Whilst I agree Lindelof isn't the best, I still have confidence in him when playing next to a commanding aggressive cb to do a job. Varane looked poor next to Maguire.
You do? Lindelöf goes out of his way not to commit, and he's also so-so slow. In the first half, a ball was sent over the top for a foot race between Son and Varane, and Varane casually pulled away from him. From that moment, Son knew that it was pointless trying to take him on using speed. With Lindelöf, every attacker knows they can beat him using speed and muscle. That's not great and certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

youngrell

His positioning for headed clearances is fantastic, saved us numerous times last night alone.

He may not be as aggressive as those guys but he doesn’t need to be, strikers today are not the same as yesteryear, very few carry a genuine, aggressive aerial threat.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In PL they stared 7 games, won 5 and kept 4 Cleansheets.

Arsenal, Liverpool and City scored when they played together.