So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

Boondog

An outstanding performance by Batman and Robin. (Robin was a pretty short guy.) Yes, we can acknowledge that Liverpool were not at their best, but they still sported Salah and for the most part the Liverpool front line was contained.
Varane is a very large Robin. :devil:

criticalanalysis

Varane Martinez
Casemiro

That is a pretty solid trinity :drool:

If Malacia and Dalot (?) can provide that width from the side, it's a good base to work with.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
To say it was the first time they played together, they was quality. Complimented each other… this has to be the partnership going forward. Only thing that let us down yesterday was not getting the clean sheet but they’ll come. 3 points comes first!

dal

Very good I can see Maguire coming back in though, I feel he can be a lot better.

GreatDane

Really happy about their performances last night, loved how they kept pumping each other up after a tackle or block.
That determination and fire have been so missed.

Danish Wizard

Let Martinez really adjust to English football, and we have a quality defender for the next many years. He is the real deal. A good partner, and he is amazing.
Plus let's not forget the great Malacia as well, he has some of the same qualities. Brilliant to see both of them.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Varane has been brought down to the squad’s level since he arrived but buying a decent partner for him gives hope that we’ve finally got what we paid for with him too.

largelyworried

It doesn’t always happen that a combo that looks good on paper plays out the same way on the pitch. But last night it did just that. I thought that was the most complete pairing of CBs that we’ve had for a good few seasons. Great at defending, but they also showed quality with their forward passing that Maguire and Lindelof never managed consistently.

I think the most promising thing is that games like last night where they defend the box a lot are the kind where I’d expect Varane and Martinez to actually be at their weakest. I think their real strength will playing with a high line in a game where we have all the possession but have to worry about counter attacks and runners from deep. So I think there’s more to come from these guys in different kinds of games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Key thing us Varane's fitness.

Otherwise he and Martinez has all the makings of a really good partnership especially with Casemiero infront.

Strelok

Much better than anything involve Maguire. However I'm still worry about Martinez. It's the same with Lindelof he's usually very good against the top sides because those don't play long ball and use a tall strong striker like the middle table teams.

I do love Martinez warrior spirit he's really good on the ball and he was immense last match but until he proves he could deal with the long ball and aerial challenges those middle table teams often employ there's still some worry I think.

Westerkerk

I really, really like Martinez and Malacia. Both absolutely tenacious, hungry footballers that look well suited to Ten Hag's style.

I like the partnership of Varane and Martinez but I worry about Varana's fitness in general (injury wise) and who would step in if he was out, which I assume at some point he will be.

Tibs

They were solid! No way Maguire gets back in unless injury/suspension, or one of them is rested.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
There will be games where it won't go so well... but this could be the future. Need Varane to stay fit.

Varane around town

They were both incredible.

Here's a question. Will Maguire get back in when Varane- inevitably- gets injured? Or will Lindelof get in ahead of him?

I'm really not sure.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
They were both incredible.

Here's a question. Will Maguire get back in when Varane- inevitably- gets injured? Or will Lindelof get in ahead of him?

I'm really not sure.
It will be Maguire. Not sure it should be, but it will.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Great partnership last night. Could be the way to go.

At the other end of the pitch I’d be quite excited to see Anthony, Anthony and Antony up front :D

Triple A up top!
Get it done Murtugh.

Replenish

It's cleary the way to go and if one of them is to get injured it should be Lindelof or Baily coming in to cover, not Maguire.

Lee565

I know there is concern that varane is not the most reliable to stay fit but surely lindelof should also be given a chance ahead of Maguire

cyril C

Best pairing, as long as opposition keeps the ball on the ground.

Yakuza_devils

Just a look a Martinez face tell you that this guy is a fighter and will give his all on the pitch.

youmeletsfly

It's only a pair as long as Varane can stay fit. This is the only thing that worries me.

There will also be games where Maguire has to step in so Martinez doesn't get targeted, but those will buffer out in time and Martinez will slowly be a regular.

Longshanks

Did ok in a mid/low block against a team without a big physical striker last night. See how they do when asked to defend high and play out. Got a feeling if we don't sort the GK out then it's just a matter of time until the cracks start to show in another promising defensive partnership.

Think we all know its our best partnership, but Varane won't stay fit for a full season.

I think Lindelof would be a decent backup for Varane, they have a similar style, but who comes in for Martinez?

Acole9

Outstanding
They were fantastic, I was gutted for them that we conceded as their performance didn't deserve that.

wangyu

Changing it up now would be absolutely crazy. So I assume this will be the partnership for the foreseeable future.
We can only hope the likes of McTominay, Shaw, Ronaldo and Maguire arent’t going to disrupt the team spirit now.

RedDevilRoshi

Time will tell. It's looked good for a game...I'm keen to see it continue.

Obviously alot depends on Varane staying fit.
This.

It looked good and it has a lot of potential of being a very good partnership but need to see how it develops over a more longer period and dependant on Varane staying injury free!

Trophy Room

Varane is a true leader. Martinez is a warrior. Starting back 4 clearly, certainly in big games.

I feel for Harry - I think he means well and is a better CB than he has shown in the past 12-18 months. The best thing for him is to drop the captains armband and focus on his football.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They were good last night but the reaction is a bit over the top. It was a bit of a perfect scenario for them:
- we sat deep in the main
- avoided playing out from the back
- we had a fired up midfield and attack working hard and giving protection
- no runs in behind from Liverpool
- no big aerial threat in open play

Remains to be seen whether they'll stand up to tougher tests and more importantly whether Varane can stay fit for more than one game.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I've seen enough of Martinez to know he won't be bullied in the EPL. They do have tall strikers in the Eredivisie, it's the feckin Netherlands ffs!

rooney2009

I don’t think Varane can play 2 or 3 games a week in the PL so Maguire or Lindelof will come back in sooner or later