So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

Orange Tree

I‘d probably pick Maguire for the game against Southampton.

But the back four was so good yesterday. Having a consistent back four is also very valuable.

David Bartley

Martinez is so good. Will be a fan favourite.
He will. But not according to that legendary, astute football genius Jason McAteer, quoted in the Mirror on 19th August:

"Lisandro Martinez is a frighteningly bad signing for Manchester United and the dressing room is too toxic for the club to succeed. That's the opinion of former Liverpool midfielder Jason McAteer, who thinks new Red Devils boss Erik ten Hag is already in danger of being shown the exit door at Old Trafford unless he starts getting through to his players and instilling his philosophy on the team."

Wonder what old Jase thinks now?

RoyH1

He will. But not according to that legendary, astute football genius Jason McAteer, quoted in the Mirror on 19th August:

"Lisandro Martinez is a frighteningly bad signing for Manchester United and the dressing room is too toxic for the club to succeed. That's the opinion of former Liverpool midfielder Jason McAteer, who thinks new Red Devils boss Erik ten Hag is already in danger of being shown the exit door at Old Trafford unless he starts getting through to his players and instilling his philosophy on the team."

Wonder what old Jase thinks now?
Using Jason McAteer as a pundit. What are the higher ups in the media thinking?

Nikelesh Reddy

ABM as far as I”m concerned….Anyone but Maguire!If Varane can stay fit then this is a partnership that can really grow over the course of the season…

justsomebloke

A thought: Liverpool didn't particularly try to exploit his stature with a lot of high balls into the box. Though I thought Martinez was better against Brentford than many gave him credit for, he did seem to struggle with that at times in that game. We obviously have to assume other teams have been paying attention to that.

TsuWave

A thought: Liverpool didn't particularly try to exploit his stature with a lot of high balls into the box. Though I thought Martinez was better against Brentford than many gave him credit for, he did seem to struggle with that at times in that game. We obviously have to assume other teams have been paying attention to that.
He didn't:

justsomebloke

He didn't:

!

Now that I think about it, I have to admit it was largely narrative that sold me on that. Lots of talk about how Toney was gleefully gesturing for high balls, and saying afterwards they targeted that and he thought that went well (even though he also gave Martinez credit for doing well on the ground). It just seemed so plausible. I should know better.

Foxbatt

Yes for free kicks Maguire is the better option but Varane can handle the ball in the air too.

wolvored

Veranes fitness may go and Maguire might have to come in, but keep Verane and Martinez in as long as possible. Next summer look for a young CB similar to Verane to cover and eventually take over. Move Lindelof and/or Maguire on.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I feel like Southampton's main threat would be from the dead ball situation and Maguire would help in that regard.

One thing he is good at is making that defensive header.
We should not let Southampton players decide which players we pick, we are Man United.

And Varane should be able to make some headers for us if you havent seen enough of Martinez yet to be sure that he can head the ball (for me he has proven that Maguire should not be in the team ahead of him). Also sticking with Varane and Martinez should be a priority for us, they were training last week together and we should keep playing team as much as possible for them to improve even more.

Maguire and Shaw should be nowhere the first 11 right now when the back four had a great game against Liverpool, it would should send out a message to the players that something is wrong and if its broken don't fix it.

Red00012

I’d be surprised if Varane plays the 3 games in 8 days it just feels like we are asking for trouble injury wise.

jackal&hyde

They are both class and we didn't have this level of talent there since Vidic and Ferdinand. The issue is Varane's injury record. If he says fit and with Casemiro in front of them we are golden for 3 or 4 years IMO. Maguire should be looking for a team or accept he is 3ed choice.

Maticmaker

Yes, looks a good partnership, but I am pouring cold water here; every new player we have signed in recent times has looked good, for maybe half a season, then they start to get bogged down and drawn into our 'lack of confidence' team morass.

Lets hope these two and Malacia and Casemiro don't follow that trend... what is it, do they put something in the tea?

Raven

2 great players who compliment eachother so nicely, hope Varane can stay fit.

spiriticon

If Casemiro protects well, hopefully Varane won't have to over exert his muscles and can stay a bit fitter

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I just realised I completely forgot Lindelof exists entirely. Just thought I’d log on to get this out

TsuWave

Ten Hag really rocks with Varane, and this is completely my assumption and reading of things - I think he’s dying to give Varane the captaincy:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Varane+Martinez is the CB pairing everyone would like to see more of, including ETH, but we know the Frenchman will breakdown at some point.

A-man

I am pretty sure they will start today. They worked great against Liverpool, in a pretty low defence with little progressive play, and it will be interesting to see them today in what I assume will be a much higher line. Martinez is good at stepping up and winning the ball, and Varane is good at protecting behind him, so there is not reason it shouldn’t work in that aspect.

redmanx

It takes time to settle into the Prem from other leagues; for some players its a continual struggle to succeed while others never do. Martinez has played in just two Prem games but showed against Liverpool he will succeed where others, Lindelof, Baily and Maguire, even though he was already playing in a Prem side, failed.

Abraxas

I think today is going to be a good test for these two. Southampton press well and Che Adams is a very mobile striker that has given us trouble.

Resonance

Has anyone noticed the broski love between them, every time they clear a ball they break out the high fives.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, did anyone doubt their efficacy?
The way forward without any doubt.

Abraxas

The solitary positive aside from the points, for me. They really competed for that clean sheet.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
First clean sheet since February? Didn’t think it was that long ago. Feck

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not only was that the first away game we didn't concede in since February, it was the first 38min of an away game we didn't concede in since February.