So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

lsd

The Oracle
Interesting article today about since Bournemouth got promoted under Howe they have had a higher net spend than Chelsea , Spurs and Liverpool having spent over 200 million . Not to mention how they were fined for breaching FFP rules the year they were promoted .

Not really the heroic small club after all and a further testament to just how rash Howe is in the transfer market

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Thank feck for that. Glad to swap Bournemouth - an absolutely nothing club and apathetic fanbase - for genuinely passionate and traditional football clubs such as Leeds next season.

Here’s hoping it comes to fruition, finally, this summer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The same thing has happened which occurred at Spurs with Poch. Just hung around too long without changing enough and people became comfortable. Needed to break more out of trusting the League 2 players that he still does and fix up. Has never amended the issue of getting trounced by big clubs. Has a Plan A but no B.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Taken them as far as he can. Should have looked at the Everton or Arsenal job.

cyberman

Thank feck for that. Glad to swap Bournemouth - an absolutely nothing club and apathetic fanbase - for genuinely passionate and traditional football clubs such as Leeds next season.

Na, Leeds fans are scum as is the club.
They can stay where they are. Nowhere.

slored1

He's a bit meh. Bournemouth haven't impressed me since their second season in the PL, when they still had most of their original Championship squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

You'll likely get Brentford instead. :lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
They're going down if they don't sack him and if they do go down, they'll never come back.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Perhaps now the ridiculous hype will stop.

Like all hyped up British managers, he's stayed too long in the same club, got comfortable, and refused to move on to bigger and better things.

Got his 'cnupins
Is it really ridiculous hype? Majority on here are saying he should manage an Everton or West Ham and then a bigger club might get interested if he does well at either (guess Newcastle could also come into the frame by end of the season).

Man. United wouldn't take a punt given how Moyes turned out and he obviously isn't going to get a chance at any of the other leading teams bar perhaps Leicester.

Fact is other leagues are much better at giving local managers chances to at least fail at major clubs. Serie A is best example. If Gattuso was English he'd be managing in the championship but gets Napoli job, Pioli frequently gets big jobs as a sort of caretaker every season. Bundesliga is also good, remember Stoger managing Dortmund for half a season after he left Koln bottom.

I have long defended him on here but even I can see he's just run out of ideas now at Bournemouth, shocking run they're on and they're now regularly losing to fellow relegation candidates which wasn't the case for them in previous seasons.

A relegation never stopped a Wenger, Klopp or Conte at least getting more chances to improve as a manager though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They’d be more interesting though. First time in top league & moving to a new stadium next season I think?
They will be a very good watch if they can hold onto their forwards. Benrahama, Watkins and Mbeumo is brilliant front three.

Bournemouth were like this not so long ago with likes of Josh King and Calum Wilson of course.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'll let him win a few more games before starting one - not sure whether he's amazing or its the new manager bounce :lol:
He is still loved at Leicester, the guy has an animal magnetism that that brings in everyone around him.

paulscholes18

Next 3 league games are very winnable, Norwich, Brighton & Villa. Hope he stays till at least then.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Instead of scouting and being a bit creative, he has wasted money on overrated English gambles like Ibe and Solanke.

It’s left him with a team in the Premier League that still has the likes of Francis, Daniels, Gosling and Smith playing games. They are championship players at best and they’re not going to get any better.

I get that part of this is to maintain harmony in the squad and a sense of togetherness, but it means that it can be very hard to break poor runs. It’s very rare that they play a team in the Premier League, where you would say they have more quality on the pitch.

Struggling yesterday, he again throws on Cook and Billing in a hopeful punt.

They carry far too many players, and it has always irked me that he has treated the domestic cups with such distain. It’s a recipe for getting monotonous and repetitive and that’s exactly what has happened.

He has done a really good job there, but I think he has made mistakes that are coming to a head this season.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree with the previous poster but the one thing that had to be said in Eddie Howes defence is that a club like Bournemouth is never going to be able to attract the type of player that is perhaps needed to make a longer term stay in the prem possible. I think he almost had to gamble on the likes of Solanke and Ibe, players who had potential but weren't good enough for the top teams they were at. Sadly they turned out to be not good enough for Bournemouth either. I will be surprised if they stay up this year but they do have some serious injuries so with returning players they may well pick up. I think Howe is looking for chairman support at the moment but i do also think he would leave if they continue this losing run for another 3-4 games.

Last edited:

Maluco

I agree with the previous poster but the one thing that had to be said in Eddie Howes defence is that a club like Bournemouth is never going to be able to attract the type of player that is perhaps needed to make a longer term stay in the prem possible. I think he almost had to gamble on the likes of Solanke and Ibe, players who had potential but weren't good enough for the top teams they were at. Sadly they turned out to be not good enough for Bournemouth either. I will be striped if they stay up this year but they do have some serious injuries so with returning players they may well pick up. I think Howe is looking for chairman support at the moment but i do also think he would leave if they continue this losing run for another 3-4 games.
I can see the point, but it’s a nice part of the world, they have been established for seasons now and there would be many options abroad jumping at the chance to get into the Premier League. I know Rangers and Celtic have a far bigger profile in Europe, but they don’t have the pull of the PL and have both found numerous gems in recent years by scouting and being resourceful.

Teams like Bournemouth shouldn’t be paying premium just so they can have English players. I think he has failed to cast his net a bit wider, and while that could be contributed to not having those kind of networks in place, it’s not really an excuse for the poor PL transfer record he has.

It goes under the radar, because of their low profile, but he has spent £130m in the last two seasons.

I can’t see any evidence of that in the team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
All over really. I can't see him walking out/being sacked mid season though. Will try to keep them up and fail and mutual consent end of the season. Ironically that will probably be in the long term be the worst outcome of Bournemouth as I'd say he'd be more than capable of getting them straight back up. Instead you'll likely never hear of them again as a top flight team.

Robbie Boy

Joint least goals scored this season. Could never organise a defence but he can't even organise an attack anymore.

Josep Dowling

Can’t see Bournemouth turning this around. Their form is on a downward spiral and I can’t see them sacking Howe.

He’s done a fantastic job there but felt he needed to move on a ride the wave. It’s gone stagnant at the club, the squad simply isn’t good enough.

I think things could get nasty for the club if they go down. There will be a lot player on high wages and they are certainly a club relying on the TV money alone.

Maluco

It’s a poor side that’s carrying far too many players. He really hasn’t done enough to evolve the quality of the squad. They have far too many players still starting games that aren’t good enough for the PL.

He has had so many windows and ample funds and still hasn’t got a full eleven of premier league quality players. Despite all the really good work he has done, that is a massive black mark against him.

Ekeke

Callum Wilson doesnt look like a premier league striker at this point

Statistically the worst striker in the league to have started more than 9 matches (a first team regular), with Solanke doing no better but without the goals

binary bot
Recruitment has ruined them. Solanke is one of the worst strikers to ever player in the league - 20m!

If you look here, they've paid decent money for players you wouldn't know played for them.

Paul_Scholes18

Starnge how the attack has turned to crap so quickly. I never rated the defense they have had, but last year Wilson, Fraser and King did really well.
Brooks is a big miss for them though this season. Solanke is pure crap though so him playing is a big worry for them.
Although none of them are doing it at this moment at all.
2 goals in the last 9 for them. That is as awful as it gets. 1 win in those games against Chelsea only.
Since they beat us ages ago they have taken 4 points only.

Is it all down to confidence being very low? Need a new manager to get them going? '
They can play on the counter well at times, but maybe teams know that and close them down better?

Paul_Scholes18

Callum Wilson doesnt look like a premier league striker at this point

Statistically the worst striker in the league to have started more than 9 matches (a first team regular), with Solanke doing no better but without the goals
Would not trust these ratings. Joelinton better than Aubameyang says it all.

Still Wilson has not scored for ages in the PL and something is not right there.

Ekeke

Would not trust these ratings. Joelinton better than Aubameyang says it all.

Still Wilson has not scored for ages in the PL and something is not right there.
The ratings are about success of workrate, not goalscoring alone. Attempted dribbles, success rate, conversion etc. Obviously you'd want both good use of the ball in general play and goals. It shows that Wilson may have scored 5 goals but his general play has been of low quality outside of that. And 5 goals isnt even enough to be his team's top scorer