So the 3-5-2

Devil may care

Not pleased about those comments regarding it being the system we are going to use this season, it also suggests he intends to keep all 4 strikers. I just don't see Shaw and Rafael over playing two proper wide forwards as a good way to go at all.

the hea

Where would Januzaj be best suited in the system we played today, in the role Mata played or one of the strikers? If keeping players like Kagawa, Nani and Hernandez means Januzaj won´t get played I would not mind selling them we also have Wilson and Powell who I rate highly.

NoLogo

Where would Januzaj be best suited in the system we played today, in the role Mata played or one of the strikers? If keeping players like Kagawa, Nani and Hernandez means Januzaj won´t get played I would not mind selling them we also have Wilson and Powell who I rate highly.
I think he would be best suited for Mata's role but that's not to say he couldn't play one of the forward roles if he gets instructed to drift out wide a lot.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I love it.

We did look exposed at the back at times but hopefully a few weeks work can sort that out. Attacking wise it looks fantastic though.

I think Herrera might like it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I can not wait to see Rooney and Van Persie tested out in this system. All my concern will be gone if they are able to complement each other in this duel striking role. I believe we would be a more balanced team with Hernandez or Welbeck alongside one of Rooney or Van Persie, but that is only based of logical thinking, rather than practicality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not pleased about those comments regarding it being the system we are going to use this season, it also suggests he intends to keep all 4 strikers. I just don't see Shaw and Rafael over playing two proper wide forwards as a good way to go at all.
I don't think he sees it ideal either, he basically said once we have a more balanced team we'll switch. He has a point too. We can't play 4-3-3 and use 1 striker, and leave Welbeck, Rooney and Hernandez on the bench, along with probably Kagawa too. We are too stocked so like this we can use 3 of those players, and our center backs do seem more suited to a 3 man defence, rather then a 2 man partnership.

Walters_19_MuFc

One of the strikers, in my opinion - similar to how Robben was used for Holland in the WC. When we have the ball, peel off to the right which will stretch the play and allow him to run in behind or get the ball to feet and run at the defence, giving him the chance to cut onto his left foot.

the hea

I can not wait to see Rooney and Van Persie tested out in this system. All my concern will be gone if they are able to complement each other in this duel striking role. I believe we would be a more balanced team with Hernandez or Welbeck alongside one of Rooney or Van Persie, but that is only based of logical thinking, rather than practicality.
If LVG can find a system to get the best out of RVP, Rooney and Mata we will have one of the best offensive lineups.

Hojoon

It's a good solution to the Van Persie/Rooney/Mata conundrum, but it also creates new problems. It'll be interesting to see how this goes for the rest of the preseason if that's what Van Gaal intends to do.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Play Mata with two strikers. The only formation will work for this one is 4312 or 352 or we can say 3412. However we need another centre back if we are going to play 3 in the back, we only have Keane,Smalling,Jones and Evans. I'm not so sure Blackett is good for our backup. So I'm guessing we can end Di Maria rumours. But I think LVG's best and favour formation is 433. He uses this formation just because it's the best one for our current squad. So it depends on the players he's going to sign.
Play Mata with two strikers. The only formation will work for this one is 4312 or 352 or we can say 3412. However we need another centre back if we are going to play 3 in the back, we only have Keane,Smalling,Jones and Evans. I'm not so sure Blackett is good for our backup. So I'm guessing we can end Di Maria rumours. But I think LVG's best and favour formation is 433. He uses this formation just because it's the best one for our current squad. So it depends on the players he's going to sign.
Actually a Di maria would be perfect for this formation. Being able to operate in midfield, at wing back and as a forward in this formation. I hope we can bring in a center back, Vidal and Di Maria. That would enable us to switch with ease between 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, 3-5-2/5-3-2.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
One of the strikers, in my opinion - similar to how Robben was used for Holland in the WC. When we have the ball, peel off to the right which will stretch the play and allow him to run in behind or get the ball to feet and run at the defence, giving him the chance to cut onto his left foot.
He's said he prefers the no.10 role, I think he could do both very well.

Devil may care

I don't think he sees it ideal either, he basically said once we have a more balanced team we'll switch. He has a point too. We can't play 4-3-3 and use 1 striker, and leave Welbeck, Rooney and Hernandez on the bench, along with probably Kagawa too. We are too stocked so like this we can use 3 of those players, and our center backs do seem more suited to a 3 man defence, rather then a 2 man partnership.
Our CB's have played their entire careers to this point in a traditional back 4, I don't think they have any trouble doing it now, and in truth we don't even have enough CB's to cover for a single injury in this system. The strikers are the big problem, Welbeck can play left or right in a front 3 but no team carries two #9's like RvP and Rooney, that's the sticking point and kills the balance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The fact that we can't narrow our list of number tens down to the actual four LvG is referring to says a lot. Our squad is insanely unbalanced.

bosnian_red

Our CB's have played their entire careers to this point in a traditional back 4, I don't think they have any trouble doing it now, and in truth we don't even have enough CB's to cover for a single injury in this system. The strikers are the big problem, Welbeck can play left or right in a front 3 but no team carries two #9's like RvP and Rooney, that's the sticking point and kills the balance.
They've played their whole careers in a traditional back 4 but whenever they haven't been partnered by Rio or Vidic, they've looked quite bad. Between them they never formed even a decent partnership really, always leaking goals and chances. That's probably a slight reason, but agree the main reason is having way too many strikers and #10's. Hernandez and Kagawa just have to go IMO. Love them, but the squad is too bloated in those positions.

In Rainbows

The fact that we can't narrow our list of number tens down to the actual four LvG is referring to says a lot. Our squad is insanely unbalanced.
Well we don't know how LVG sees the players so that's where the confusion lies. For example, he played Herrera as the #10 in the 2nd half

Rednotdead

I'll just wait and see how this develops because I don't think that was any sort of test at all. I think I can say with complete certainty we won't get anything like that sort of space to play again this season.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's said he prefers the no.10 role, I think he could do both very well.
Ye, I have no doubt that Januzaj could play the no.10 role very well, I just think with Mata and Kagawa are ahead of him in that position at the moment, thus limiting his time there next season.

the hea

This is basically my thoughts also but the problem as i see it is that we have to many players who will be fighting for the 3 attacking spots. RVP, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Nani, Januzaj, Young, Kagawa, Zaha, and Wilson that´s 10 players for 3 positions and I think we need to get rid of some or Januzaj will have a hard time getting the playing time he needs

Devil may care

They've played their whole careers in a traditional back 4 but whenever they haven't been partnered by Rio or Vidic, they've looked quite bad. Between them they never formed even a decent partnership really, always leaking goals and chances. That's probably a slight reason, but agree the main reason is having way too many strikers and #10's. Hernandez and Kagawa just have to go IMO. Love them, but the squad is too bloated in those positions.
In fairness how many games in succession did any of those CB's get to play as a tandem? 2 or 3 at most IMO. It takes time for a partnership to gel and Jones and Smalling didn't even play as CB's all that often, so I think it's a bit harsh to judge them. Selling Hernandez and Kagawa still leaves thew RvP and Rooney issue. People here keep saying Rooney can play left but I think it's far from ideal and my guess is LvG sees him as a pure central attacker and prefers pace to the left and right of his 9, so unless he's willing to rotate them we are gonna be stuck with this system for years in order to accommodate both their egos.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Nah, the fullbacks are pushed fair bit forward compared to a 4-4-2 as a starting position.
I don't know, Barca or Spain end up having their full backs push way up and no one says it's a back 2 or that they're not in a back 4.

But this 352 does have a diamond midfield as well as a sweeper (of sorts).

Walters_19_MuFc

This is basically my thoughts also but the problem as i see it is that we have to many players who will be fighting for the 3 attacking spots. RVP, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Nani, Januzaj, Young, Kagawa, Zaha, and Wilson that´s 10 players for 3 positions and I think we need to get rid of some or Januzaj will have a hard time getting the playing time he needs
Add Mata to that list too.

I personally think we should get rid of Hernandez, Nani and Young, send Zaha and maybe Wilson on loan, and we'll have 6 players (Mata, Kagawa, Rooney, Welbeck, Januzaj, Van Persie) competing for 3 spots. That way, everyone should get enough playing time.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
After enjoying watching "our new force destroy the galaxy of stars" (see what i did there:)
I am split and unsure of how much was down to the system and players, and how much to how poor the LA G were. I must say, I did enjoy Fletcher in a back 3, something I thought I'd never use in a sentence. But hey, if this team learns how to defend with 3, it will do wonders for the attacking play

bosnian_red

In fairness how many games in succession did any of those CB's get to play as a tandem? 2 or 3 at most IMO. It takes time for a partnership to gel and Jones and Smalling didn't even play as CB's all that often, so I think it's a bit harsh to judge them. Selling Hernandez and Kagawa still leaves thew RvP and Rooney issue. People here keep saying Rooney can play left but I think it's far from ideal and my guess is LvG sees him as a pure central attacker and prefers pace to the left and right of his 9, so unless he's willing to rotate them we are gonna be stuck with this system for years in order to accommodate both their egos.
True. But it's still too soon to trust them to be our starting center backs week in week out as a partnership. Of course it is an issue having both Van Persie and Rooney but it's one we'll have to live with. Rooney is turning 29 and Van Persie is turning 31 within the next few months so it's not that big of a deal and neither are that reliable to always stay fit, especially not Van Persie. We won't be stuck with the system for years (and it's not a bad system anyways), because RvP probably only has 1 season left as a world class player. He's already started declining and hopefully he stays clear of injuries so he can prolong it, but I have my doubts if he can.

Anyways, I think the 3-5-2 can work really well for us this season, but probably a few people are just panicking because Januzaj doesn't really suit it unless the 3 at the top goes from a triangle to 2 wingers and a striker, which is can.

Superpolfcb

I don't think Rooney-RVP will be a success. They're too similar in their qualities and when you're already playing without tricky wingers in a 352, you'll need at least one of your 2 strikers to have pace/dribbling.
Injuries will most likely (and sadly) solve the RVP-Rooney debate for most of the time, based on their injury record.

As much as I love Hernandez as a sub, I think it's time for him to leave. He deserves to be a starter at another club, who can play to his qualities.
Welbeck, Januzaj and Wilson should be enough cover for the striker positions. In case of injury crisis, there's always the possibility of a 433.

At this moment we can only guess and base those guesses on the World Cup and the system LVG used with Holland.
In that team, Robben was the most important player. Holland relied on him for counter attacks and to change up the play in a system that could get predictable. I don't think Rooney or RVP are capable of that. They both have amazing quality, but they don't have that burst of pace and flair to bring a constant spark to the play.

The player we have that is most similar to Robben is Januzaj. I've always regarded him as a #10 for the future, but in this system, the 2nd striker role could be perfect for him. He likes to roam and has that ability on the ball opposition players are afraid of. His last year in the reserves he showed he can even do a job as a lone striker (not his best position though). A free role around Rooney or RVP could be his real breakthrough.
He'd bring something different to the team. With Mata, Rooney/RVP, Herrera, Cleverley etc the team is filled with players who excel at passing. You need that (at least) one player who will take on players, close to the box. I believe Januzaj is the best choice for that role.

Devil may care

True. But it's still too soon to trust them to be our starting center backs week in week out as a partnership. Of course it is an issue having both Van Persie and Rooney but it's one we'll have to live with. Rooney is turning 29 and Van Persie is turning 31 within the next few months so it's not that big of a deal and neither are that reliable to always stay fit, especially not Van Persie. We won't be stuck with the system for years (and it's not a bad system anyways), because RvP probably only has 1 season left as a world class player. He's already started declining and hopefully he stays clear of injuries so he can prolong it, but I have my doubts if he can.

Anyways, I think the 3-5-2 can work really well for us this season, but probably a few people are just panicking because Januzaj doesn't really suit it unless the 3 at the top goes from a triangle to 2 wingers and a striker, which is can.
If Evans is not ready to lead in the defense at 26 will he ever be? I think if we don't trust them we'll never know, however it looks like we wont be trusting them as a 2 so the point is moot. I don't know if I agree with your trajectory on RvP's demise but with his injury record I guess it's unlikely he'll be still playing at the stop into his mid 30's.

I admit I am concerned about Januzaj but I also don't like wingbacks and 3 central defenders. I'd rather have 2 pacey wide forwards either side of a #9 and 3 in midfield with a traditional back 4.