g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

So the 3-5-2

kiristao

I would also like to see Evans play in the centre of the back 3 as he is the most experienced of the lot. Besides, Smalling and Jones have both played at RB/LB at times so are much better when they get dragged out wide which is bound to happen with a back 3. Evans tends to struggle when he gets pulled out to the wings to face the wingers.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We only have 4 first-team defenders (yes I'm counting Michael Keane), and 3 of them are injury-prone. We'll need at least 1 more central defender to come in to make this work. On top of that, we are prone to getting caught out at the wide areas given that our wing backs push up high. It'll take some time for the defenders to get used to this system. Plus, we only have Fletcher and Carrick who demonstrate the discipline and defensive capability to play in this setup. Unless the likes of Cleverley, Herrera, and Fellaini improve defensively, we'll need to get a new midfielder who'll be more defensively solid.

Finally, for this work, we'll need some dynamism and pace up front to stretch the opposition back line and create space in the middle. We'll also need players who are good when they're isolated. One of the strikers must have pace and movement to stretch the opposition, so that will be Wilson, Welbeck, or Chicharito. The other can be anyone else, so that will include Rooney, van Persie, etc. What this means is that we can't play both Rooney and van Persie up front as both aren't that great when they're by themselves, and both don't have the pace to stretch the opposition and keep them on the back foot. Plus, how will Januzaj get the match time to develop? He can play behind the forwards, but Mata's ahead of him. He can play up front, but he has several players ahead of him there.

We still have too many attacking players for the 3 roles up front, and we lack the number of central defenders needed for such a system. We also lack midfielders with good defensive discipline. I still think we may go for a 4-man defensive setup in the end given how few central defenders we have.

Truedevil

All we need is a solid midfielder partner for Herrera and a couple of CBs and we are ready to go, we have enough players for this formation. I think it's really good(on paper at least) and this formation suits our current players. With total football on top of that we will have an exciting season ahead of us!

pablotatt

Where dies Adnan fit? I assumed he'd be first choice. Otherwise he'll just leave.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Important to note that LVG did say we could revert back to 433 if this doesn't work, not like we're suddenly wedded to this system either.

AkaAkuma

All we need is a solid midfielder partner for Herrera and a couple of CBs and we are ready to go, we have enough players for this formation. I think it's really good(on paper at least) and this formation suits our current players. With total football on top of that we will have an exciting season ahead of us!
I wonder if van gaal has Carrick in mind for the spare defender (sweeper) role.

red_7

Adnan can play as a winger or no. 10. This formation will defo mean less playing time for him.

Apart from that it suits or top striker Rooney and RVP playing together and our playmakers which we have plenty of.

Need to sign 2 defenders then

GloryHunter07

It is the best formation to fit RVP, Rooney and Mata but those 3 are a bit slow.

We need cover at CB

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
More than one I'd say. Plus even then we'll probably end up with Carrick back there given our luck with injuries...
Or Flecther. Already happened as well.

I would also like to see LVG giving Keane or Blackett a chance as backup CB, though.

In Rainbows

I can see Januzaj seeing less playing time if that is indeed the system. If he does want someone up top like Robben, then Rooney will be the odd man out as Januzaj is the player most similar to Robben. Which begs the question, if Januzaj will play then why not go for a 4-3-3?

Welp, at least we have one more thing to talk about now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I dont really like the idea with two wing backs yet - especially as we dont have the players for it. I doubt Rafael and Shaw are good enough going forward. Will be interesting how LVG will make that tick but he's the man

Spielmacher

I can see us playing Rooney & RVP up top in games where we're expected to dominate the possession and face a deep opposition defence and RVP/Rooney & Welbeck or one of our wingers, preferably Januzaj, up top against better oppositions where we get to counter attack more.
The system isn't my preference, but it just suits our current squad the best, that's the point.

ghagua

Don't mind playing 3 at the back if we can get our starting wing backs performing like Reece James did. He did everything right in this game. Got back when needed, followed up in attack when he had the chances and those beautiful goals also help as well. I would still prefer a 4-3-3 with Herrera, Kagawa and someone else in midfield.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Januzaj will get enough.

I don't think we'll be playing this formation for every match and he can always be second choice to Juan Mata.

JSMHE

Actually a Di maria would be perfect for this formation. Being able to operate in midfield, at wing back and as a forward in this formation. I hope we can bring in a center back, Vidal and Di Maria. That would enable us to switch with ease between 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, 3-5-2/5-3-2.
It seems it's the opposite as what I think. Di Maria position is a winger and attacking mid.
When he plays as a central role, he will get more advanced role because he's not that good at defending, so a bit similar like Mata or Kagawa. If we signed him, that will be another number 10 role.
If we are going to use 433 with Di Maria in the wing then we need to sell 2 of our strikers and the other deadwoods which I think LVG knows that is impossible to do in one summer transfer. As a wing back you need to work hard and operated in both attack and defense. Not just in attack.

Di Maria would be perfect just like you said however if we don't have Kagawa and Mata.

JSMHE

Januzaj will get enough.

I don't think we'll be playing this formation for every match and he can always be second choice to Juan Mata.
Yeah I also have a feeling that we won't play this formation every match. I hope the players can adapt. Our squad isn't balance enough. This is why I was thinking Mata signing was a bit wasted since we have too many bloody no 10. We might need to sell one of our number 10, probably Kagawa. For his own sake as well.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
It has worked well for LVG so far.

But a more tactically astute manager like Jose, will exploit the space between the centre-backs and the full-backs but as LVG said, in that case it is adaptable to a 4-3-3.

Either ways we still need another proper CM to play alongside Herrera, preferably Vidal or Strootman.

And another centre-back, Hummels is the obvious choice but De Vrij would also be a good cheaper option.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah I also have a feeling that we won't play this formation every match. I hope the players can adapt. Our squad isn't balance enough. This is why I was thinking Mata signing was a bit wasted since we have too many bloody no 10. We might need to sell one of our number 10, probably Kagawa. For his own sake as well.
Yep. Kagawa needs to go unless he doesn't care about his footballing career. We have enough quality up top.

Blair

We're still lacking in quality in those wide positions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I was one of the ones, not opposed to it as such, just being practical in saying it was very unlikely due to our lack of defenders.

Van Gaal has recognised that it's the best way to get the most out of our best players so it now becomes essential to buy at least two centre backs.

There is also now way in hell that Fellaini is going to fit into any of these formations so you'd imagine he is off which is a good thing as central midfield is definitely the area where the fat can be trimmed as all these formations only have room for two genuine CM's and we currently have 6 with 1 injured and 4 not good enough.

Bojan11

I can now see why we were linked with Rodriguez, if we going to play that way. Maybe Van Gaal wanted to push Shaw as a centre back.

bishblaize

We're still lacking in quality in those wide positions.
You mean the wingbacks?

tbh we could do worse than Shaw and Rafael. I guess relying on two younger players is always a risk in terms of consistency.

bdecuc

I for one was well pleased to see how the formation worked this morning. Granted it was against poor opposition but even still for a first try out that was encouraging! Like many here I'm wondering where Janusaj fits in on a regular basis? Very interesting to see Herrara as the no. 10 in the second half and especially as he had the option to play Kagawa there and put him in cm.

You can see how the link to Vermaelen makes sense given we have no left-footed centre-backs. I'd imagine in real competitive matches having more balance with a left-footed cb might be important?

Havak

Pokemon master
Said this could work for us for a while (not that beating Galaxy proves much).

I am sure we will sign two centrebacks and a central midfield player, but we do probably need another left sided player or this formation goes to shit if Shaw can't play.

Rafael and Valencia will rotate, I don't see Young/Januzaj/Nani/Welbeck etc cutting it as a left wing back.

Vidal, Hummels, Vermaelen and preferably a left back. Vermaelen could play left back in a 4231 I imagine, which is fine if that stays as our primary system. However, if 352 does become our thing, then we need a more adventurous proper left back to cover for Shaw, otherwise everything changes due yo one injury / suspension.

Danny Boi

I don't want us to use 352 at all.I don't RVP or Rooney have enough pace to make the front duo work.Our CB options are streched as it is and I don't think Shaw has the attacking qualities at the moment to play as a wingback.There is also very little room for Januzaj in this system, who I think should be a regular first teamer this year.

I would much prefer if we just bought a winger and played 433.

Spielmacher

I would much prefer if we just bought a winger and played 433.
More importantly a good CB and a good partner for Herrera, the main problem is that we don't have enough quality at CB, which we try to compensate with numbers, I doubt this will end good against a stronger opposition.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Let's not jump the gun here guys. This is only the first friendly with a lot of players still missing here.

We'll know for sure once the season begins. For now, it's all just getting players games and assessing them.
It's not based on one friendly es based on what Van Gaal has said about his opinion on the squad and his plans for it going forward.

Kag

I'm not convinced in the long term but we'll be a better team than last season irrespective of the formation. Things are looking up.

Ideally, we'd play 433 and buy a partner for Herrera. But that's just me.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Concerned about the lack of pace we would have going forward and I just don't think RvP + Rooney together will ever work as well as it looks on paper. But with our dreadful wing options this is probably our best option as we don't seem to be looking for a winger.

Kag

I can now see why we were linked with Rodriguez, if we going to play that way. Maybe Van Gaal wanted to push Shaw as a centre back.
I agree. I feel a little bit for Shaw, because if 343 is our chosen formation then I think he may struggle. The left sided centre half would suit him that bit better, in my opinion.

mata10

We have too many players, van gaal wants only to play with 22 players. I guess we will see many of them leave. I am very sure @Adnan will play back up to @mata10.
Wing backs will be crucial, valencia /rafael is good on right. shaw/james i am not too sure about. Strikers are good. its the middle three that will be more important. We will need a better sitter than fletcher. I dont think vidal is the man for the job. I think kroos would have been good there, we need a midfiielder, 1 experienced CB, one good wing back.
Van gaal is right, squad is terribly balanced. Today was an audition, we played well but i think van gaal will see the future and his vision will come through by the time we play madrid.