So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Laurencio

I took a video of it. He definitely grabs him around the neck, but not forcefully. It’s a soft red, but can’t really grumble if you get sent off for it. Even EtH says so.

But others were equally guilty of it. Fred & Ayew could also have gone for the same thing.

*Edit, Fred, not Varane.
Ayew was really bad from all the footage I've seen, punching, lunging at Fred's neck twice, choking him.

Why on earth VAR didn't pick up on that is beyond me.

Last edited:

Denis79

It's a red but it wasn't the only red that should have been given.

Sviken

Can't believe so many thought it was a red. How soft has everyone become? Nothing incident which they both laughed off after. About 10 players are grabbing each other. He's hardly choking him to death. It's pathetic.
Game's gone, unironically. Even 10 years ago this would have been a nothingburger, let alone in Keane's days. I find it especially grating how many United fans are on Casemiro's ass for barely grazing a person's neck and yet are completely fine with Palace players throwing punches and shoving people around..

Zippycup

FFS It's not a red card. Its not even debatable.
Even Liverpool fans are saying its not a red

jeepers

Rewatching the incident, Casemiro was actually trying to stop Hughes, but of course the placement of his hands does also leave it up to the ref’s interpretation. But since it went to VAR with the “benefit” of multiple angles and slowing down of multiple replays, Casemiro shouldn’t have been the only player punished.

Great post match press conference from EtH by the way.

Møllemanden

I find it especially grating how many United fans are on Casemiro's ass for barely grazing a person's neck and yet are completely fine with Palace players throwing punches and shoving people around..
Yes. I'm fine with them throwing punches and shoving... Casemiro gave the ref a golden opportunity. It's just a braindead action. I'm totally fine with him being red carded. Such a stupid action.

Wicked_Badger

Ayew was really bad from all the footage I've seen, punching, lounging at Fred's neck twice, choking him.

Why on earth VAR didn't pick up on that is beyond me.
He was far more aggressive than Casemiro & committed the same crime of raising hands to the neck. EtH called out the VAR inconsistencies in it after the match & was completely correct to do so.

Here’s a screenshot from my vid. Very similar crimes. If one goes, the other should too.

Jordan Ayew is a horrible snide little cnut of a player. The kind of player I really dislike!
He’s a dickhead.

*Edit: Love little Licha getting right in there defending his mates :lol:

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I've had an eleven year hiatus from posting on this forum, I've never stopped reading but also never felt the urge to get back to posting, but near enough 40% of you cnuts have driven me to write this (and a few drinks).

You need to cop the feck on, some of the shit I've seen posted on here by supposed fans of this club is a fecking disgrace. After everything Casimero has done for this club since he's joined, transformed our midfield and showed nothing but 100% every time he has been on the pitch, to see how quick you all are to call him out on this stitch up of a VAR decision disgusts me. Do you not for one minute think he deserves our support? I could see in real time that he was doing nothing but try to diffuse this situation, even without the countless replays that have been shown since, and still with all the evidence shown some of you are still not backing down?

Unbelievably disappointing, and exactly the reason I stopped posting to begin with.

You all have no right to call yourselves United fans and deserve none of the success that ETH is going to bring this club.

Feck me and end of rant.

Dion

I've had an eleven year hiatus from posting on this forum, I've never stopped reading but also never felt the urge to get back to posting, but near enough 40% of you cnuts have driven me to write this (and a few drinks).

You need to cop the feck on, some of the shit I've seen posted on here by supposed fans of this club is a fecking disgrace. After everything Casimero has done for this club since he's joined, transformed our midfield and showed nothing but 100% every time he has been on the pitch, to see how quick you all are to call him out on this stitch up of a VAR decision disgusts me. Do you not for one minute think he deserves our support? I could see in real time that he was doing nothing but try to diffuse this situation, even without the countless replays that have been shown since, and still with all the evidence shown some of you are still not backing down?

Unbelievably disappointing, and exactly the reason I stopped posting to begin with.

You all have no right to call yourselves United fans and deserve none of the success that ETH is going to bring this club.

Feck me and end of rant.
You don't need to blindly defend a player if you think he made a mistake just because he's good. What rubbish. That's not support.

Casemiro has been great, he made a mistake and got a red card. It was deserved, we'll miss him. Such is life.

"no right to call yourselves United fans" :lol:

Møllemanden

Do you not for one minute think he deserves our support? I could see in real time that he was doing nothing but try to diffuse this situation, even without the countless replays that have been shown since, and still with all the evidence shown some of you are still not backing down?
Diffusing a situation with a two hand grip to an opponents neck. Sure, nothing wrong with that. Bias at its finest.

andy0

I someone was truly throttling me, I'd expect I'd probably be going weak at the knees and collapsing

Quite stunning that some commentators gave such false descriptions

TheReligion

Abusive
I someone was truly throttling me, I'd expect I'd probably be going weak at the knees and collapsing

Quite stunning that some commentators gave such false descriptions
Yeah exactly.

it’s not physically possible to choke someone whilst pulling them away from you

RedNome

You don't need to blindly defend a player if you think he made a mistake just because he's good. What rubbish. That's not support.

Casemiro has been great, he made a mistake and got a red card. It was deserved, we'll miss him. Such is life.

Blindly? I have eyes and they work just fine, my opinion hasn't changed from the first time I saw to now, he has been stitched up by shite VAR editing.

Your posts in this thread are the very ones I am mostly talking about so I'm glad you responded, the rabid defence of the decision by you is suspicious to say the least.

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

How come you are so certain it was deserved when so many others (including loads of pundits with no love for United) think completely differently?

Møllemanden

How come you are so certain it was deserved when so many others (including loads of pundits with no love for United) think completely differently?
Hughes wasn't in any danger, but Casemiro gave the ref an opportunity. Just don't grab somebodys neck. It's simple really.

RedNome

I'm loving the football. Hope all is well.
Ah you known, same shit different decade.

Footballs fecking great again ain't it, I love all Ten of our Haggs.

This place is full of a shite load more morons than it used to be though and that's saying something.

How are you bud?

Dion

Blindly? I have eyes and they work just fine, my opinion hasn't changed from the first time I saw to now, he has been stitched up by shite VAR editing.

Your posts in this thread are the very ones I am mostly talking about so I'm glad you responded, the rabid defence of the decision by you is suspicious to say the least.

Y
:lol: Suspicious?

Bert_

Dodgy as feck calling the ref over and only showing him about 3 frames from one camera angle. Video ref made the decision to send Cas off and then fed the ref selective evidence to get him to confirm it.

Dion

I would have thought it would be obvious why pundits whose job it is to watch a selection of clips once and then make some pre-written remarks aren't great arbiters of the truth when you look at what they say about actual games most of is watched with our own eyes and how out of sync that is.

andy0

Dodgy as feck calling the ref over and only showing him about 3 frames from one camera angle. Video ref made the decision to send Cas off and then fed the ref selective evidence to get him to confirm it.
Whether that is the motivation or not, it is clearly precisely that effect

Anustart89

The moment you put your hands there, regardless of what you do, you're getting a red. Even with VAR (or in spite of, due to the way it's used in this country). That's the way it is.
Unless you're Jordan Ayew and you do the same thing at literally the same time and it's being viewed by the same ref, that is...

Anustart89

Interesting that he was advising Antony to use his head not knowing he was about to get a red card.
This was after he was sent off and is clearly him saying the refs are mental. I'm expecting the FA to add a game to his ban due to this.

Rusholme Ruffian

Hughes wasn't in any danger, but Casemiro gave the ref an opportunity. Just don't grab somebodys neck. It's simple really.
OK, yes, clearly if he hadn't put his hands anywhere near the upper portion of Will Hughes then that would have been preferable. But you can't uphold red cards just because of how they looked from certain angles. This is a guy who had never had a straight red in his long and distinguished career career in Europe, who was clearly calm and hadn't lost his head. Will Hughes - who was wound up - didn't react as though he felt he was being accosted, and nothing that I have seen (bar the looped and slowed down tiny portion that was shown to the ref by VAR) shows anything that fits the official definition of violent conduct. So explain again why you think a red card and 3 match ban is justified?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Ah you known, same shit different decade.

Footballs fecking great again ain't it, I love all Ten of our Haggs.

This place is full of a shite load more morons than it used to be though and that's saying something.

How are you bud?
Same as ever, mate. Nice to see so many back lately.

Rusholme Ruffian

I would have thought it would be obvious why pundits whose job it is to watch a selection of clips once and then make some pre-written remarks aren't great arbiters of the truth when you look at what they say about actual games most of is watched with our own eyes and how out of sync that is.
And yet you seem to have formed your opinion based on a still frame, an imagined version of the rules and some mysterious alternative definition of words that the refereeing community apparently use.

Last edited: