So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Lost bear

The bottom line is that you can't grab another player by the neck even if it's to defuse a tense situation and protect the player from harm, as was clearly the case in the Casemiro/Hughes incident. All that said, it's an offense that is sporadically enforced. In the very same incident a Palace player (think it was Ayew), actually attacked Fred's face and neck. The photos which have been published around the world leave no doubt about the more serious menacing intent and use of the hands to the face/neck by Ayew on Fred than Casemiro on Hughes by the collar (which is close enough for concern).

This cannot be excused away. One retired referee, Dermot Gallagher, explained away the discrimination on the grounds -- I'm not going to paraphrase it...let's see what he actually said, shall we?

But speaking to Sky Sports, Gallagher believes the referee made the right call and that they could not send off the Ghana international as well because there is only 'so much they can pick up at the time'.

Oh, so there's only "so much they can pick up at the time"? Has Dermot never heard of VAR? VAR exists to "pick up" that which the referee misses in real time, such as handball offenses, fouls in the box and offside offenses. And also suspected violent conduct. Yes of course referees miss things in real time, which is why we have VAR. With respect to violent conduct, we had video review that was used long before VAR existed to send off players who were guilty of violent conduct.
Yeah, this kind of thing is merely a rationalisation. In general, and not confining the debate purely to Case’s red card, there’s so much empirical evidence of an ABU agenda that it’s damn difficult to ignore. But we will always be accused of bias- and that’s true, too. If I wasn’t ‘biased’ I wouldn’t be a Utd fan. I confess. Doesn’t mean we’re wrong, though.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The bottom line is that you can't grab another player by the neck even if it's to defuse a tense situation and protect the player from harm, as was clearly the case in the Casemiro/Hughes incident. All that said, it's an offense that is sporadically enforced. In the very same incident a Palace player (think it was Ayew), actually attacked Fred's face and neck. The photos which have been published around the world leave no doubt about the more serious menacing intent and use of the hands to the face/neck by Ayew on Fred than Casemiro on Hughes by the collar (which is close enough for concern).

This cannot be excused away. One retired referee, Dermot Gallagher, explained away the discrimination on the grounds -- I'm not going to paraphrase it...let's see what he actually said, shall we?

But speaking to Sky Sports, Gallagher believes the referee made the right call and that they could not send off the Ghana international as well because there is only 'so much they can pick up at the time'.

Oh, so there's only "so much they can pick up at the time"? Has Dermot never heard of VAR? VAR exists to "pick up" that which the referee misses in real time, such as handball offenses, fouls in the box and offside offenses. And also suspected violent conduct. Yes of course referees miss things in real time, which is why we have VAR. With respect to violent conduct, we had video review that was used long before VAR existed to send off players who were guilty of violent conduct.
That's actually an insane quote from him. :lol:

Yeah, you used to get charged with violent conduct after games if it had been missed. If they all agree that Cas was correctly sent off then they should be charging Ayew.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's actually an insane quote from him. :lol:

Yeah, you used to get charged with violent conduct after games if it had been missed. If they all agree that Cas was correctly sent off then they should be charging Ayew.
Look, we can’t go retrospectively banning people when VAR already saw the incident and took no action because they can’t be expected to deal see and deal with everything.

Withnail

Look, we can’t go retrospectively banning people when VAR already saw the incident and took no action because they can’t be expected to deal see and deal with everything.
Bizarre. I hadn't realised they stopped retrospectively banning people because of VAR. That's ridiculous.

In the Six Nations a French player should have been sent off but the ref watched 5 million replays and decided it was only a yellow. The player was still cited and will have to attend a review with an independent panel and could get a ban regardless of what the ref's decision was.

They need to stop trying to pretend refs are infallible and tying themselves into knots to justify bad decisions.

Becks_VII

Bizarre. I hadn't realised they stopped retrospectively banning people because of VAR. That's ridiculous.

In the Six Nations a French player should have been sent off but the ref watched 5 million replays and decided it was only a yellow. The player was still cited and will have to attend a review with an independent panel and could get a ban regardless of what the ref's decision was.

They need to stop trying to pretend refs are infallible and tying themselves into knots to justify bad decisions.
Thats were rugby is far better and the standard of reffing is at a much higher level, they work in tandem with the tech they have and are highly respected in most cases as compared to football. Its crazy the amount of protection the refs get in football, its always about the refs not being wrong rather than coming to the correct decision. As a lot of people keep saying, its the inconsistency thats the major issue. I voted yellow card in this poll because we see this happening regularly without anything coming of it.

Also the whole thing about needing to appeal a terrible decision is awful, if its wrong it should be reviewed and overturned regardless.

And some of the excused we are hearing are laughable "We forgot to draw the lines" :confused:

mctrials23

I never understand the comparisions to rubgy. They are completely different games. Completely different.

Rugby isn't a game full of subjective decisions. Rugby players aren't trying to cheat constantly for an advantage because its very very hard to cheat. They get in constant scuffles that would see half the team sent off if it was football and there is no punishment because its rugby. If you don't like something an opposition player has done you can try and murder him (within the rules) next time you tackle him. You can't do that in football.

Yes football could learn a few things from rugby but considering how awful football crowds are I don't think they will ever mic up the ref. Footballs biggest issue is currently the completely useless and inconsistent VAR implementation. Its not even subjective decisions they are getting wrong, its the ones that 99% of supporters know are wrong.

It would help if they came out and explained decisions that are seemingly just straight up wrong. They occasionally apologise for a really bad decisions but to use United as a good example:

- Why did Casemiro get a red and Ayew got away with it completely. Why are United being brought up on separate charges to Palace as a result.
- Why are United being brought up on any charges when we see that sort of scuffle most weekends in one or more games
- Why was the Wout goal disallowed when the defender appeared to play it to him.

If they came out and explained their reasoning then people would have far more respect for them.

Becks_VII

I never understand the comparisions to rubgy. They are completely different games. Completely different.

Rugby isn't a game full of subjective decisions. Rugby players aren't trying to cheat constantly for an advantage because its very very hard to cheat. They get in constant scuffles that would see half the team sent off if it was football and there is no punishment because its rugby. If you don't like something an opposition player has done you can try and murder him (within the rules) next time you tackle him. You can't do that in football.

Yes football could learn a few things from rugby but considering how awful football crowds are I don't think they will ever mic up the ref. Footballs biggest issue is currently the completely useless and inconsistent VAR implementation. Its not even subjective decisions they are getting wrong, its the ones that 99% of supporters know are wrong.

It would help if they came out and explained decisions that are seemingly just straight up wrong. They occasionally apologise for a really bad decisions but to use United as a good example:

- Why did Casemiro get a red and Ayew got away with it completely. Why are United being brought up on separate charges to Palace as a result.
- Why are United being brought up on any charges when we see that sort of scuffle most weekends in one or more games
- Why was the Wout goal disallowed when the defender appeared to play it to him.

If they came out and explained their reasoning then people would have far more respect for them.
Well they are both ball sports and use Video assistant ref systems to help officiate on field decisions, thats how they are comparable.

I do agree with you though, regarding subjective issues in football. Rugby has a more clear and defined set of rules and a better reffing association in place to deal with these issues.

Withnail

Do you actually watch rugby? The try to murder him comment I'm assuming was tongue in cheek but it's a bit of a nonsense and Rugby players are constantly trying to cheat or push the rules as far they can. The breakdown is a minefield of pushing the laws to their absolute limit.

I don't see how the suggestions as what rugby do right with video refs and how football could follow suit are negated by any of your points.

Yes it's more suited to video but there are still subjective calls and while people still complain, it's not too bad because you hear the refs reasoning and if as I pointed out a yellow was given when it should have been a red for example there is still a process whereby the player can be sanctioned.

More transparency is what is required. A change of mindset away from constantly trying to protecting the refs towards a focus on correct decision and being able to hear the conversations between on-field Ref and VAR would go a long way to clearing up the inconsistencies in decision making.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The reason refs won’t ever get mic’d up in football isn’t because of awful football crowds it’s because of awful football players.

DevilRed

The FA would never help or side with us. Never. Can’t remember the last time we even bothered to appeal let alone won one.

On the contrary, remember when Rooney was banned 2 matches for swearing too near a camera on the pitch?

You can make this shite up.

always_hoping

Well we knew that really, my biggest surprise was the amount of United fans on here defending the refereeing and saying it was a cert red. It's clearly not and totally open to whether or not VAR want's to get involved.
Yes was surprised also, I was even told by one poster here that football wasn't for me if I thought it wasn't a deserved red card.

croadyman

The FA would never help or side with us. Never. Can’t remember the last time we even bothered to appeal let alone won one.

On the contrary, remember when Rooney was banned 2 matches for swearing too near a camera on the pitch?

You can make this shite up.
Yeah ended up missing FA Cup Semi with City

Pavl3n

So much talk, discussions and dissecting gone in vain. It's quite clear - English refs are corrupted or literally brain dead. Since the latter is not true, then we are left with the former. The FA is running a theatre, a show. That's the only explanation in my books.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well we knew that really, my biggest surprise was the amount of United fans on here defending the refereeing and saying it was a cert red. It's clearly not and totally open to whether or not VAR want's to get involved.
It is a red card offence. Even Ten Haag said he went too far.
The issue here is not Casemiro, it’s why there is no consistency to apply it in all occasions

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It is a red card offence. Even Ten Haag said he went too far.
The issue here is not Casemiro, it’s why there is no consistency to apply it in all occasions
Exactly. The red card is understandable by the rules of the game, but it seems like the rules only applies whenever the refs decides they want to.

I swear if Rashford didn’t score that goal against City, Casemiro wouldn’t have been sent off.

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly. The red card is understandable by the rules of the game, but it seems like the rules only applies whenever the refs decides they want to.

I swear if Rashford didn’t score that goal against City, Casemiro wouldn’t have been sent off.
What are the rules of the game regarding grabbing an opposition player?

RedOrange

I think 2 or 3 yellows for each team would have made the most sense but it's still about 90% Casemiro's fault for putting himself in a position to be carded there.

What bothered me more was that the referee pretty clearly decided to give Palace the draw after that, as if we needed extra punishment on top of the red card. Case in point, the awful foul call on Sabitzer that came only after he had made the through ball to set up Rashford.

romufc

It feels like to me Ref's are making rules and judgement as they go along. I agree referee's can make mistakes, sometimes they dont see the action because so much is going on.

The issue is the VAR referee's, who have time, replays and different angles. The one with Casemiro, he told the ref to go review it and showed 1 angle and a still. Then did no look at Ayew and we had sky sports ref saying he cant see all of it. That is a joke in itself, this is the highest level of football.

The level of consistency is so low, multiple VAR mistakes a week.

Member 125288

What bothered me more was that the referee pretty clearly decided to give Palace the draw after that, as if we needed extra punishment on top of the red card. Case in point, the awful foul call on Sabitzer that came only after he had made the through ball to set up Rashford.
not to mention the extra 1:30 he added on after the already dubious 7 minutes of added time. Absolutely desperate for an equaliser he was.

LordSpud

To save creating a new thread I will ask the same question here but regarding Sabitzer's challenge today. Red or nah?

peridigm

To save creating a new thread I will ask the same question here but regarding Sabitzer's challenge today. Red or nah?
Given the way VAR has made decisions in the past, I would not have been surprised if they gave it. I think the only thinkg that helped him was that it was not a full on challenge. It's almost like his foot bounced off his knee. Had he gone through him, no doubt it should have been a red.

Idxomer

People who thought that was a red card should be ashamed of themselves.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This decision looks worse and worse every passing week

We got royally screwed AGAIN

Timdbro

Don’t remember the ref going to check VAR after giving the red that time..

Dan_F

:lol: Ridiculous. Looking straight at the guy and pushed him in the face.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ziyech did worse without getting a red card, and he hasn't been the only one since the Casemiro incident.
Not just Ziyech, Thiago Silva got away with a deliberate elbow as well