So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

RedDevil@84

EtH thinks appealing is the wrong decision and we wouldn't have a chance.
He is correct. FA are a vile organization which wont accept it has fecked up. It is a different thing if media is going bonkers over it and claiming it was never a red. Then FA may do something. Else we will lose the appeal.

JustKatie

Probably a red. Sure it was the collar not the neck but it's still considered violent conduct so a red is justified. On another day with another ref it could've been a yellow and a final warning if he breathed wrong again he'd be off.

As much as we'll miss him it'll give him a wee rest so he can come back fresh and ready to go

Ibi Dreams

We absolutely would not get it overturned if we appealed so we have to take it on the chin. Hopefully it won't end up mattering too much

Heinzesight

Shame we didn’t appeal but can see why and Ten Hag has subtlety had a dig at those in charge of the game.

I didn’t realise he’d grabbed a PSG player by the neck last season though :lol: …just a yellow card though.

Shimo

Really annoying that we are charged for violent conduct by the team when everyone and their mother saw that VAR missed CP players that could/should have been sent off. Basically FA is saying VAR got it right if they are not CP doesn't have the same charges leveled agains them.

tombombadil

It's obvious that the someone is targeting man utd's midfield to sabotage the remainder of the season. Perfectly timed just at the end of the transfer window. First, Carroll ran around try to break legs. Successfully injured Eriksen for the rest of the season. Failed to break Casemiro's legs. So Carroll is probably only getting paid half the bribe. Next game, Casemiro gets red carded eventhough many other players did something similar or worse. Some people are getting huge pay days for this sabotage. It's disgusting.

FriedClams

It's obvious that the someone is targeting man utd's midfield to sabotage the remainder of the season. Perfectly timed just at the end of the transfer window. First, Carroll ran around try to break legs. Successfully injured Eriksen for the rest of the season. Failed to break Casemiro's legs. So Carroll is probably only getting paid half the bribe. Next game, Casemiro gets red carded eventhough many other players did something similar or worse. Some people are getting huge pay days for this sabotage. It's disgusting.
Location checks out

The Firestarter

Dunno if anyone else was watching the perennial damp squib that is the Merseyside derby but can any of the “hands around an opposition player’s neck is always a red card” crew explain the incident between Robertson and Cody just now?
It will turn out one hand is allowed

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
And people will still try to tell us we don't get treated differently.

Member 125288

And people will still try to tell us we don't get treated differently.
It does seem like it’s got to the point where the club really should be raising these things with the league, especially after we get charged for failing to control our players when Palace who were equally culpable get nothing.

tomaldinho1

Waiting for whoever that poster was in the Case thread to pop up:

Look at his thumbs, the angle tells me that is a hard throttle, not a weak one, a hard choke and is a certain red. Look at his thumbs in this specific picture, it is actually attempted murder the more I look at it, no I'm not interested in any other angles or even videos that prove me wrong, it is tantamount to murder. Look at his thumbs!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Waiting for whoever that poster was in the Case thread to pop up:

Look at his thumbs, the angle tells me that is a hard throttle, not a weak one, a hard choke and is a certain red. Look at his thumbs in this specific picture, it is actually attempted murder the more I look at it, no I'm not interested in any other angles or even videos that prove me wrong, it is tantamount to murder. Look at his thumbs!
@Dion your time is now

Anustart89

It does seem like it’s got to the point where the club really should be raising these things with the league, especially after we get charged for failing to control our players when Palace who were equally culpable get nothing.
Palace were charged too. We got charged twice more for failing to control players (Chelsea pen and Newcastle when we scored after they started play but ref thought otherwise), but City didn't get charged after Bruno's goal with their mass protest and when Grealish followed the ref down the tunnel after the game.

Rolaholic

Ben White grabbed a handful of neck during the scrap against Brentford days ago too without any card/punishment with nothing coming in retrospect either :rolleyes:

Was paying close attention this week to how other incidents were officiated around the league and nobody has gotten any punishment for similar or worse offenses. It's farcical

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Voted red and still believe it is defendable but the standard seems to be applied only to us (and to a harsher degree that Wolves midfielder :lol: ), so yeah it's a bullshit decision.

lex talionis

The bottom line is that you can't grab another player by the neck even if it's to defuse a tense situation and protect the player from harm, as was clearly the case in the Casemiro/Hughes incident. All that said, it's an offense that is sporadically enforced. In the very same incident a Palace player (think it was Ayew), actually attacked Fred's face and neck. The photos which have been published around the world leave no doubt about the more serious menacing intent and use of the hands to the face/neck by Ayew on Fred than Casemiro on Hughes by the collar (which is close enough for concern).

This cannot be excused away. One retired referee, Dermot Gallagher, explained away the discrimination on the grounds -- I'm not going to paraphrase it...let's see what he actually said, shall we?

But speaking to Sky Sports, Gallagher believes the referee made the right call and that they could not send off the Ghana international as well because there is only 'so much they can pick up at the time'.

Oh, so there's only "so much they can pick up at the time"? Has Dermot never heard of VAR? VAR exists to "pick up" that which the referee misses in real time, such as handball offenses, fouls in the box and offside offenses. And also suspected violent conduct. Yes of course referees miss things in real time, which is why we have VAR. With respect to violent conduct, we had video review that was used long before VAR existed to send off players who were guilty of violent conduct.

GledTheRed

Let's face it, it was the biggest crock of shit red card you'll see all season and there won't be another seen like it.

United are the biggest example a referee can set, same goes for those cnuts at VAR, see Weghorst' goal yesterday.

Last edited:

Dion

Alright lads calm the farm.

Firstly, referees are inconsistent, secondly it was on Andy Robertson so nothing counts.

Faetheshire86

"Straight red, no arguments!"
"I don't know, Casemiro doesn't look like the aggressor in this situation"

"Context doesn't matter, you can't strangle someone!"
"Yeah, but Hughes doesn't look like he is in distress, in fact he removes Casemiro's hands by touching his elbows"

"The amount of force being applied doesn't matter, you cant have you're hands around someone's neck"
"Yeah, but if you look at the other angle, his hands are more wrapped round his collar/traps"

"It doesn't matter if it was his collar, it's in the rules you can't hold someone near the neck"
"I feel like I see it almost every week?"

"It's a red card"
"So you are saying there is no context where you can hold an opponent round the neck in a non-football action"

"Yes"

*Next week, two incidents of player holding another round the neck area*

"Yeah... context though"