So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We’ll definitely appeal. I think there are clear grounds due to the angle in slow motion being shown to the ref not giving the full picture which would make it impossible to deem it frivolous. Doubt it’ll succeed but there’s no way that should be a red card - and fair play to linekar for changing his mind after seeing the new footage rather than just repeatedly posting about a still image which clearly incorrectly implies he has his hands around his throat and is throttling him like some on here have been.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think we will win the appeal.
Remember Sir Alex is behind the FA. In fact, he is the FA.

Bratt

might be one of the few times Fjørtoft makes sense

Ole'sgunnarwin

Can't believe so many thought it was a red. How soft has everyone become? Nothing incident which they both laughed off after. About 10 players are grabbing each other. He's hardly choking him to death. It's pathetic.

K Stand Knut

It's not an obvious red otherwise this thread and discussion wouldn't be taking place.

How about neither get sent off because no one actually did anything apart from push and shove each other around?
Two players grabbed other players around the throat.

Casemiro was rightly sent off. Ayew should have been sent off too! It’s not rocket science.

Yes, maybe nobody should have been punished but we can’t complain specifically about Casemiro. You put your hands up to someone’s throat, you are asking for trouble

ShinjiNinja26

Even with more and more people stating publicly that it wasn’t a red card, I still have zero faith in the morons at the FA to overturn the decision. They’ll protect their own as usual.

Zen

Hughes didn't even make anything of it.... there's another massive giveaway to all this. Click Bait Gabby is insane... but he's got his clicks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
MOTD lot didn't think it was a red either. Definitely appeal territory. Won't be overturned though we already know that.
It seems impossible reds can get overturned after a VAR review but fairly sure one was overturned a few weeks back.

TrueRed79

How can VAR decide to give the ref that clip to look at on the monitor? It's a disgrace. We will definitely appeal that decision.

hatchetmac

I think we need to appeal this as Var has made a mistake by only showing one view of the ruckus. Cannot blame the referee because he only saw a video of the other angle. The FA need to set standards and if this is a red card then 3 or 4 players would be sent of every week. Its a yellow card at the most and Casemiro should not be banned.

Fooza

VAR is crap, slowing and showing certain angles is a disgrace. fecking refs

OldSchoolManc

How can VAR decide to give the ref that clip to look at on the monitor? It's a disgrace. We will definitely appeal that decision.
It really makes me think there was a strange person on VAR that saw only that incident amongst the melee. Then focussed fully on that incident to the point of making a 2 second loop from one angle for the referee to view.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think it was daft of Casemiro to do it but having seen other angles it's not as bad as the initial VAR images suggest.

It should be appealed to at least get the ban reduced. A problem might be Ten Hag has already said he 'crossed the line' in public.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think it was daft of Casemiro to do it but having seen other angles it's not as bad as the initial VAR images suggest.

It should be appealed to at least get the ban reduced. A problem might be Ten Hag has already said he 'crossed the line' in public.
He said that based on the initial images though. Most of us thought it was a red based on that.

OldSchoolManc

Managers are interviewed before they’ve had a full chance to look at all the footage properly post match. They also have all sorts of other things to do like throw tea cups etc.
Can’t really blame him for not having the full picture

Laurencio

Not sure how VAR doesn't have all the angles? Strange decision to just use one angle. It definitely makes it seem a lot worse than it was. I mean, the two are literally hugging afterwards. Ayew should have had a red three times in that fight.

OrcaFat

I think he said several crossed the line. But yeah, there’s enough doubt there. I think we’ll not bother to appeal as the ban could, potentially, be increased (would be harsh but not surprising).

Wicked_Badger

It wasn't malicious & I actually think he was trying to defuse the situation (albeit poorly), but it was a red. Can't raise your hands to the face/neck.

Ayew definitely should've gone for the same thing though.

Lost bear

Not even remotely, imo. If that was a red, then a few Palace players there should have definitely been sent off as well.
I agree, actually. For once I thought that the MOTD guys got this right: it was general handbags and the red was very harsh. They showed it from another angle and there was very little ‘violent conduct’ from Case. As ETH observed, there’s precious little consistency from referees.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Managers are interviewed before they’ve had a full chance to look at all the footage properly post match. They also have all sorts of other things to do like throw tea cups etc.
Can’t really blame him for not having the full picture
I don't blame him, I thought the same. It just weakens any defence.

Laurencio

It does have other angles..

They just didn’t want to show them. funny that isn’t it?
The sooner we get to hear the VAR discussions the better, it would help with accountability.

It wasn't malicious & I actually think he was trying to defuse the situation (albeit poorly), but it was a red. Can't raise your hands to the face/neck.

Ayew definitely should've gone for the same thing though.

There are some phone recordings of the situation milling about, and in them he clearly grabs his lapel with his thumb and index finger. Which is hardly manhandling.

Wicked_Badger

The sooner we get to hear the VAR discussions the better, it would help with accountability.

There are some phone recordings of the situation milling about, and in them he clearly grabs his lapel with his thumb and index finger. Which is hardly manhandling.
I took a video of it. He definitely grabs him around the neck, but not forcefully. It’s a soft red, but can’t really grumble if you get sent off for it. Even EtH says so.

But others were equally guilty of it. Fred & Ayew could also have gone for the same thing.

*Edit, Fred, not Varane.

OrcaFat

Just seen this on motd. It’s daft of Cas to grab him, but no way is that a red, and it’s made to look much worse on the slow-mo and still images. A yellow would have sufficed.
Yes, Yellow. That would have been common sense.

There were probably 4 or 5 yellows due on that whole incident. Imagine the hassle of trying to make sure he booked the right guys. I think the ref had a panic under the pressure of VAR.

Zoo

Surely we have a strong case for overturning this on appeal.

downxandxout

Supports Manc...ini
Such a soft decision. Another example of VAR going against us. It was a nothing moment slowed down and over analysed. You can see by Hughes' reaction that there was nothing in it.

RedIan

I thought it was red when shown live On the VAR view. However now ive seen the different angle shown on motd.. Casamiro has hold of his shirt at the shoulders not the neck. Arguably acting as a peacemaker To stop will getting involved.
Potential for an appeal ?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Probably costs us points against Leeds once, though Sabitzer looked fit enough to be solid there and Fred is in good form.

Ayew should probably get a game or 2 from what it looks like.
Sabitzer and Fred in midfield two should be more than enough to beat Leeds. EtH will figure it out. In our gaffer we trust! :)

Ceteris

VAR officials rigged that decision, they chose the angle that gave the wrong impression and that is what they showed the ref. diabolical behaviour. We should appeal swiftly on Monday